• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bakemonogatari Ep. 3
incBSxBYbaJo7.jpg
ixMRPM98xTF5V.gif

Decent episode. It's almost as if the entire point of that fight was to show the loli's panties. Nah, couldn't be.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It just sounds like you have a problem with ridiculous concepts being played seriously. Nothing wrong with that since it can definitely be jarring.
I look at something like Angels in the Outfield, which literally has angels swoop in to help baseball players, and I'm fine with that. I suppose in that case, it's because the world established in the film doesn't just completely accept that angels a) exist and b) give a shit about baseball.

Then again, I haven't seen that film in like 10-15 years, so maybe I'd hate it now. :p

The problem with Kuroko is that most of the players are normal, while each of the "mythical" players that the narrator goes on and on about have super hax powers (Given what this latest player's powers are, I can't even imagine what the other people will be like. I'm sure they'd make NBA Jam look like a simulation game).

It's this weird contrast between guys who are just playing regular basketball and then these insane supermen that completely stand out because they're so abnormally good. I mean, fuck Lebron James and high school draft rules - the NBA would be clamouring over these Japanese kids if they existed in real life.

I assume that contrast is the point of the show - if all the players had superpowers, the "bosses" wouldn't be able to stand out as much. I think this concept could be interesting if these powers were used creatively and if teams had to come up with clever strategies to overcome them, but if Kuroko just uses them as cheap win buttons, I could see how it would be frustrating.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I assume that contrast is the point of the show - if all the players had superpowers, the "bosses" wouldn't be able to stand out as much. I think this concept could be interesting if these powers were used creatively and if teams had to come up with clever strategies to overcome them, but if Kuroko just uses them as cheap win buttons, I could see how it would be frustrating.
What little tension is created by the matches (based on the fact that the protagonists have to win) is just ruined by the fact that it's hax upon hax in the actual game. It's like they want it to have the verisimilitude of something like Slam Dunk (which I assume is "realistic", but I have no idea) but still be like Space Jam in terms of what the players can actually do. It just doesn't work for me.

----

Moretsu Pirates

PlTewl.jpg

Well shit, Marika is smarter than Khan. She'd probably be an even match for Kirk at this point!

I really want to love this show, especially because no one bothers with starship based science fiction these days, but for whatever interesting mythology they establish in the series, it gets ruined by lolis or garish costumes or whatever anime crap has to appear in a show like this in order to sell to people who buy plastic discs and merchandise.

Beggars can't be choosers though. And any starship show with three dimensional space is a show after my own heart I suppose.

I'm re-watching the series with a friend next week. Excited to see the BDs since I watched the show originally when it was airing. I really loved it though -- ending was a bit goofy, but everything leading up to it was amazing, especially episode 9 IMO.
You mean episode 10, right?

Jintor

I've got so much choices but I'm really tempted to continue Oreimo from where I left off and I don't know why.

Fuckin' anime

I look at something like Angels in the Outfield, which literally has angels swoop in to help baseball players, and I'm fine with that. I suppose in that case, it's because the world established in the film doesn't just completely accept that angels a) exist and b) give a shit about baseball.

Then again, I haven't seen that film in like 10-15 years, so maybe I'd hate it now. :p

That's just how sports shounen is though. These kids have their own set of "named attacks" that are visually over the top, whether it be metaphorically or in actuality, it's rarely made clear. And that is accepted by everyone, because it either isn't our world or what's actually happening on the court/field/whatever isn't what we're seeing (as in no flaming balls going everywhere). Prince of Tennis is the exact same way, yet people talk outside of the court as if the things they're doing on it are completely standard or just not as impressive as what we see.

cajunator

Banned
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 9-12

Pretentious, open to interpretation, pseudophilosophical randomness that doesn't follow logic and features random naked girls in space?

Sounds like anime.

But the combination bittersweet (I think), out of nowhere (I think) ending and purposefully vague (I think) teasing epilogue doesn't really detract form the other 11 episodes being great.

Episode 10 hit me right in the feels :(

One of the best anime I've ever watched to completion, coming from someone whose "Anime I've watched to completion" list can be counted on one hand.

I'm not a huge anime fan.

I am thoroughly in love with this series. Already spent a fortune on the show and merchandise. They hooked me good :(

Jintor

The only thing that really stops me is that it's one of the few series I actively attempted to engage with because one of my friends was super-obsessed but I actually, like, hated it. The tone of the show just felt so insulting.

But it's like... I can sense bits and pieces of something I would like to watch in there but I would have to dig through a mountain of bullshit to even get at it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's just how sports shounen is though. These kids have their own set of "named attacks" that are visually over the top, whether it be metaphorically or in actuality, it's rarely made clear. And that is accepted by everyone, because it either isn't our world or what's actually happening on the court/field/whatever isn't what we're seeing (as in no flaming balls going everywhere). Prince of Tennis is the exact same way, yet people talk outside of the court as if the things they're doing on it are completely standard or just not as impressive as what we see.
That's the thing - these aren't named attacks. These are things that they seemingly want you to believe can happen in the real world.

What's even stupider is the fact that the protagonist's special ability is that he's just a good player. No need for any particular hacks or anything.

The only thing that really stops me is that it's one of the few series I actively attempted to engage with because one of my friends was super-obsessed but I actually, like, hated it. The tone of the show just felt so insulting.

But it's like... I can sense bits and pieces of something I would like to watch in there but I would have to dig through a mountain of bullshit to even get at it!
Your friend is beyond saving. :(

wonzo

Banned

did you get up to sena yet? because if you didn't then i'd loosely recommend sticking with it just to get to her

That's the thing - these aren't named attacks. These are things that they seemingly want you to believe can happen in the real world.

What's even stupider is the fact that the protagonist's special ability is that he's just a good player. No need for any particular hacks or anything.

Ah, I got no idea then.

Welcome to the NHK 10
tumblr_m5qlj08Kkw1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Only one relationship seems to be working out in the series.
I think Sato made the right decision. Misaki is so creepy and now that shes been stalking him and peering at him from her mansion on the hill, she has definitely become quite terrible. And for Kaoru he should just give up on 3D people, so much distress and everyone pushing him away, that feeling

Best dream and conspiracy nhk scene so far, liked it and hope theres even more.

Well only thing really unrealistic in Kuroko was just Kise sparkle accel burst ability way back when. ...but yeah no named skills or anything.

cajunator

Banned
I am sure I may now that there is a more affordable edition available next month, but I doubt I will get it soon. My budget is quite low after my last two RightStuf shipments, and I have college expenses to start paying off in the coming months.

I forget how much the original LE cost me but Im pretty sure it wasnt very expensive.

Lain

Ginga e Kickoff!! 2-9

The first episode didn't highlight some out of this world animation, but it was acceptable. With every other episode though, it feels like the budget per episode is some thousand yen.
The show is still likable though because it feels like watching a sport show that highlights the sport, the plays and what goes on during a match or in preparation of a match, with the benefit of not having to sit through 90 minutes of boring back and forth to hopefully see a couple cool actions.
I found Erika and Reika an amusing naming choice.

I guess after buying both fate zero sets, madoka magica, and the Rod tv blurays I kind of forgot the sense of "cheap".
I am lost. Its too late for me.

I myself am not much of a collector and I do not worry about not receiving extras, unless such extras add needed content to the series. I pay for what little I receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom