• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

No, it makes you
Shirou.

:(

iH8RLrNOauFVQ.gif

Jex

God damn it, I'm apparently one of those guys that hates everything that happened before i turned 5, and slowly grow more and more disenfranchised as I get older and older during and after my teenage years. The annoying thing is I always hated those type of people.

What do you have against the 70's?#
So I whipped up a very incomplete MAL to see what I'd get and I got this...
4xiA3.png

Your scores are going in the wrong direction.

Instro

Aquarion Evol 25

So Fudo
was Apollonius all along. Shocking!
Kawamori pulled out all the stops this week, who knows what will happen in the exciting conclusion.

Oniisama e 21

Not as entertaining as usual. The direction didn't seem quite up to snuff, and Mariko's excessive hatred of men made her insufferable. It was rather loosely organized, with the group wandering around to random events at the fair. Kind of anticlimatic after all the drama Nanako had to go through last episode. I did like the visual touch of the spinning pinwheels - a touch which, especially in light of recent discussion, seemed very much the sort of thing that Shinbo would pick up on.

It's okay, at least you're a harem lead.

Even if Shirou is a terrible human being. :(

e: just thinking about shirou is raising my blood pressure right now

The worst part about Shirou is how awesome the girls are in his harem. He's like Ichika in that regard. Neither of them deserve it in way, shape, or form.

Instro

Oniisama e 21

Not as entertaining as usual. The direction didn't seem quite up to snuff, and Mariko's excessive hatred of men made her insufferable. It was rather loosely organized, with the group wandering around to random events at the fair. Kind of anticlimatic after all the drama Nanako had to go through last episode. I did like the visual touch of the spinning pinwheels - a touch which, especially in light of recent discussion, seemed very much the sort of thing that Shinbo would pick up on.

SDBurton decided to insert himself into that episode. Men are gross.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Fate/Zero 13 - 21 (or so?)

What's up with Archer's ever-changing jewelry size? It's big, it's small.. I don't know what's going on anymore!!

1026217-Z1YSBI8.jpg

What's up with Archer's ever-changing jewelry size? It's big, it's small.. I don't know what's going on anymore!!

1026217-Z1YSBI8.jpg

He's just checking to see if you're paying attention or not. Remember that (THIS SPOILED PART IS KIND OF A BIG SPOILER)
with the exception of Seibah
the Heroic Spirits are all dead heroes of the past resurrected and given physical form through magic. His jewelry can be as big or as small as he wants whenever he materializes!

Which makes me wonder what else he can make as big or small as he wants... uuuuuu

Actually it's just animation errors but my theory is better.

Branduil

1026217-Z1YSBI8.jpg

Blame the animation directors.

He's just checking to see if you're paying attention or not. Remember that (THIS SPOILED PART IS KIND OF A BIG SPOILER)
with the exception of Seibah
the Heroic Spirits are all dead heroes of the past resurrected and given physical form through magic. His jewelry can be as big or as small as he wants whenever he materializes!

Which makes me wonder what else he can make as big or small as he wants... uuuuuu

Actually it's just animation errors but my theory is better.

When did they mention that
Saber never died? I did wonder why she never dematerialized.

duckroll

I don't think Gil's necklace actually changes sizes much. It's just that his shirt and necklace are both extremely loose, and so they can be drawn in variable ways. If the necklace looks like its smaller from the front, it just means that the rest of it is hanging behind him and so the front is closer to his neck. Alternatively if more is hanging out on the front, it looks larger. His shirt is also pretty loose, so depending on how he's sitting/lying/standing sometimes there can be a wider opening on the front.

The second screen there could probably do with a bit more correction though, since it looks kinda lacking in detail.

Branduil

I don't think Gil's necklace actually changes sizes much. It's just that his shirt and necklace are both extremely loose, and so they can be drawn in variable ways. If the necklace looks like its smaller from the front, it just means that the rest of it is hanging behind him and so the front is closer to his neck. Alternatively if more is hanging out on the front, it looks larger. His shirt is also pretty loose, so depending on how he's sitting/lying/standing sometimes there can be a wider opening on the front.

The second screen there could probably do with a bit more correction though, since it looks kinda lacking in detail.

The necklace is definitely smaller in the second shot, you can tell by the way it's hugging his neck that it's not just all hanging off of the back.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Do AKB0048 have more songs than Aitakatta? Every concert it is the same bloody song. At least in iDOLM@STER they sung a variety of dingles.

Perhaps DES isn't anti fun, just anti that one song.

Dresden

Armored Trooper Votoms - 01

That was fun; a world was set up, the lead was introduced, and there was a betrayal, an interrogation, and an escape scene all in the space of one episode. Can't complain at this ratio of badassery displayed by Chirico.

Really like the retro-mechanical display of the future, as well. It's grungy but has its charms.

Uchip

Banned
some of us haven't seen all of fate stay night
and its a bit of a steep requirement considering how bad it was in comparison
spoilers are shitty

duckroll

Do AKB0048 have more songs than Aitakatta? Every concert it is the same bloody song. At least in iDOLM@STER they sung a variety of dingles.

Perhaps DES isn't anti fun, just anti that one song.

That might turn out to be the plot twist at the end! DES was founded by a disgruntled fan who got sick of that song at every concert.

Aquarion Evol 25

So Fudo
was Apollonius all along. Shocking!
Kawamori pulled out all the stops this week, who knows what will happen in the exciting conclusion.

Huh? I didn't get that at all. And I'm pretty sure it was confirmed in the original that
Aquarion itself was Apollonius.

Not exactly. This guy's ... quite distressed ... about the change, and makes quite a bit deal about it from the beginning. He's the "pervert loser" type MC. He is kind of amusing though with how open he is about it.

But
everyone stays celibate in that show!
Not later on in the manga, they don't.

(And yes, it is too bad that there wasn't a followup anime, the manga did end.)

AKB0048 7

Yep, that sure was another standard episode of AKB0048.
I wonder if they sometimes turn into Kirara when the "graduate".
Sounds like a plausible theory to me!

I really dont understand the animosity towards otaku who are the ones that actually buy shit and support the fragile industry.
I mean yeah there is otaku panderbait which sometimes cheapens a show but if it doesnt sell, then more usually doesnt get made in the first place or entire projects dont get greenlighted at all.
Because buying bad stuff just to "support the industry" just encourages that they make more of the bad stuff, really...

Fate/Zero 16:

Everything about this show is good. Everything.

If it weren't for the fact that I haven't ever seen ufotable try to handle comedy, I would say they should be the ones to do the Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA anime. Who did the Carnival Phantasm anime, anyways? I didn't watch that one.
Carnival Phantasm's pretty funny, really. You should try it.

Grzi

Armored Trooper Votoms - 01

That was fun; a world was set up, the lead was introduced, and there was a betrayal, an interrogation, and an escape scene all in the space of one episode. Can't complain at this ratio of badassery displayed by Chirico.

Really like the retro-mechanical display of the future, as well. It's grungy but has its charms.

It's a great show, one of my favorites. Hope you'll like it, especially since your posts were one of the main reasons for me giving a chance to Sengoku Basara and then loving the hell out of it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka ? of the Dead - 01

As a new owner of a Dyson fanless blade (which I thankfully got for free) let me tell you they are not nearly as cool as they look in this anime. They are ridiculously loud and don't look that cool at all. Once you get past the novelty of sticking your face into your fan (which is pretty cool), its really just the same shit as a regular fan. Only louder.

As for the show itself, Haruna is still the best, the rest of the girls suck except for Class Rep girl who is alright. The new Tomoe-sensei was okay too.

Poor, poor Aikawa. A fate worse than death. The panty shots in this series are something else. All in all a pretty solid episode considering how much I disliked most of the second half of the first season.

Dresden

It's a great show, one of my favorites. Hope you'll like it, especially since your posts were one of the main reasons for me giving a chance to Sengoku Basara and then loving the hell out of it.
Yeah, I have high hopes for it. Also Senba <3
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka ? of the Dead - 01

As a new owner of a Dyson fanless blade (which I thankfully got for free) let me tell you they are not nearly as cool as they look in this anime. They are ridiculously loud and don't look that cool at all. Once you get past the novelty of sticking your face into your fan (which is pretty cool), its really just the same shit as a regular fan. Only louder.

As for the show itself, Haruna is still the best, the rest of the girls suck except for Class Rep girl who is alright. The new Tomoe-sensei was okay too.

Poor, poor Aikawa. A fate worse than death. The panty shots in this series are something else. All in all a pretty solid episode considering how much I disliked most of the second half of the first season.
It's like you're implying that Mael/Tomonori is inferior to midget girl.

Grzi

Hunter X Hunter 35 had some really great animation during the fight, a good episode.

Kuroko no Basket 11 also had nicely animated bits this week, hopefully next week the team gets back on their feet, can't believe I'm looking forward to the next episode of this show so much.

Don't worry, magical girl Illya won't be sexualized at all.

The loli sexualization is certainly the worst thing about the franchise, but if it's as good as the manga, it will be good despite that... but it certainly is an unfortunate hurdle to have to get over. I do wish it was less fanservicey, but... it's either that, or the insane, maddening idiocy of Shirou in F/SN. Prisma Iliya is probably more tolerable...

I've been reading the manga's entry in the Type-Moon wiki... And, oh God, she's an otaku that was raised as Shirou's sister.

They're actually turning Illya into Kirino 2.0.
She's not an otaku, and she's nothing at all like Kirino. She's a magical girl, with magical powers and the like.
And Rin is her magical girl mentor, when she's not busy fighting her counterpart Luvia that is...

I've actually read the manga. She has nothing to do with Kirino.

It's basically like Cardcaptor Sakura with Nanoha-style combat adapted to the Fate universe. So it's shounen-style magical girl combat set in an alternate-universe timeline which occurs roughly about the same time as the original F/SN did. In this universe, there never was a Holy Grail War and Ilya is raised as a normal girl in Japan. Both
Kiritsugu and Irisviel
are alive in this universe, making it the only Fate universe where
Ilya knows her parents.
Anyways, Rin shows up and a bunch of shit happens and Ilya becomes a magical girl tasked with collecting Class Cards, 7 of them, which requires her to battle with and defeat the F/SN Heroic Spirits. There are 2 manga series, the second of which just finished up in Japan.

Oh, and for those who are thinking of reading the manga based on this description, I should warn you there is a LOT of loli fanservice. This manga is not Femmeworth-approved. However I think it would be cajun-approved, and that's good enough for me! It's actually really funny, and it has some really awesome fight scenes, and sometimes there's just enough of the Fate universe SRS BSNS to make you take the story somewhat seriously.

And if the right studio and director handles it, it will be a really fucking awesome anime. I'm only looking forward to the anime because I read the manga and ended up really liking it even though it could have turned out really badly. If you liked the fighting in Nanoha, this thing will pretty much hit the spot. No, not THAT spot, you pervert!

Yeah, that's a decent description. I did a couple of medium-length review posts in some old manga threads of the manga series, for anyone who wants some spoilers; as I said above, apart from the loli fanservice, it's actually pretty good. It's cute, optimistic, and funny. Shirou rarely has significant appearances, so unlike F/SN it isn't ruined by his idiocy. Rin is awesome as always, and her constant fighting with Luvia's funny stuff too. Iliya's not crazy, too, and her parents are even alive! I hope the anime's as good. I do wonder how much will be covered, though; between the two series there are seven volumes of manga. The first series is just two volumes (13 chapters), but the second is five volumes. I wonder what they'll do.

Oh, as for Iliya and Shirou's parents,
I saw some speculation that maybe the Holy Grail War didn't happen because the two of them killed the people in the Grail organization first, or something. We don't know for sure though of course.

Huh. If you discount the loli fanservice... That doesn't sound bad at all, actually.

It bothers me that she's the main character in a series and still manages to
like Shirou
, though.
As usual
everybody likes Shirou. No way around it, unfortunately. At least here, though, Shirou's a minor character, so this rarely comes up for most of them. For Iliya herself, she does like Shirou, but she also wants to keep their normal family life as-is, so she has no plans to actually tell him that.

She's not yandere for
Shirou
anymore though!

Yeah, I'm actually kind of unhappy about that. Yandere Ilya was Best Ilya!
I think it's nice to see a sane version of Iliya for once.

Despite the above, due to how rarely he appears, there's much more loli-yuribait in the manga than there is anything about that guy.

I'll always welcome more non SRS BSNS Fate universe stuff.

I do feel bad that this is the only universe where Ilya's parents are alive in. That one moment of all three together in Carnival Phantasma was pretty sweet.
Yeah, it's pretty great that they're alive. It's F/SN, Happy Life Version! Her mother's pretty awesome, too. :)

Milky Holmes s2 2

Twenty's nipples have gotten even more ridiculous. Are they going to be like this every episode?
Pretty much. Are they not awesome? :)

They should have just named this anime "Panty Paradise". It seems like it's one of those fan service fight anime that will end up with a weak plot.

*sigh*

Onward to the next one.
Do you mean Daimao? Um, it's a harem action series. What, exactly, were you expecting? For the genre, Daimao's above average for sure.

Upotte!! 10 -END-

That was a good finale, despite the bullshit
"humans can't die by being shot by guns"
thing. It wasn't as epic as episode 6, but it was fun. The final scene with the
"We'll always be middle-schoolers"
declaration was trolltastic.

I'll miss this show's antics.
I thought the ending was so horribly bad that it pretty much wrecked the episode, myself. :( Japanese Teacher is the worst, and that plot through the whole ending part was even worse!

Articalys

There were, astoundingly, NO new anime releases last week. Still, there was a slight change on the preliminary Spring rankings:

*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25
*2,248 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06

This week there are six new shows going on sale:

**,*** ** Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
**,*** ** Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** ** Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** ** Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** ** Yurumate3Dei: 2012/06/22
**,*** ** ZETMAN [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22

Looking forward to their numbers in seven days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom