• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh neat, that is all pretty much awesome. May have to pick it back up again to see the
lvl4 Akuma
stuff.

Another small incentive: I don't know how people feel about UVERworld around here, but the fourth OP is one of the best GET PUMPED, FUCK YEAH OPs ever. Nails the "this is the climax!" feel perfectly, as the final quarter of the show is a nonstop sequence of shit getting increasingly real with each passing episode.

Are you planning on dying of cholesterol poisoning or a heart attack when you're 40?

One of those every now and again won't kill ya.

everyone in my family is diabetic and has heart disease anyway so I have nothing to lose

If it was a bit more translucent, it would also be horribly reminiscent of aspic/meat jelly/etc:

2r42B.jpg
ibyHgEv7GS0h0V.gif

WTF is that shit?!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That looks so good :(

If I was a millionaire I'd just fly across the world sampling foods.
It'll usually be in the freezer section in any Chinese/Asian grocery, you can just pick some up there.

Given your family's culturally mixed culinary tradition I am very surprised you've never had this.

This really does sound terrible.

To be fair, the stuff they do is reprehensible. It's just portrayed in a way that you feel bad for them, which is arguably worse. For example (semi early spoilers)
there's a man that's been stealing organs from people for a while, but it was all for his incredibly sick daughter. I can't remember how exactly that helped, but I think it was pretty contrived. Anyway, Ogami burns the guy IN FRONT OF HIS WHEELCHAIR BOUND DAUGHTER. She looks horrified. It's implied Ogami did that to give her some magical will to live so she can carry out a Kill Bill style revenge when she gets older, but it was still visually fucked up.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I still like good old fried chicken gizzards thanks very much. You can get them at many gas stations here.

Chicken guts that have been sitting under a heat lamp all day isn't my idea of a good time, but to each his own. I've eaten more gas station hot dogs in desperation than I'm comfortable admitting.

ibyHgEv7GS0h0V.gif

WTF is that shit?!

That's world-class cuisine right there.

uuFEWl.jpg

That second image was labeled "calf's foot jelly" on google.

Dresden

D.Gray Man is depressing. Not only does it go into the shitter, the author then gets sick, and when she comes back it's as a monthly manga, and then, when the new chapter finally comes out, no one can make sense of it because it's just complete nonsense.

They sell it. I've had it. I couldn't eat it just because of the colour.

It's black sesame seed. I also saw ice cream in this flavour.

Grey deserts. It's just wrong.

It's apparently called Kuro Goma Pudding (Purin)
RImaL.jpg

w9EGN.gif

It looks like they boiled gym socks and granite dust in a pot with some gelatin and let it cool. I couldn't handle it.

If it was a bit more translucent, it would also be horribly reminiscent of aspic/meat jelly/etc:

2r42B.jpg

Head Cheese?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like Alzheimer's for mangaka. Somehow, hand injuries drive everyone crazy.

Such as the Furuba lady.

Branduil

Chicken guts that have been sitting under a heat lamp all day isn't my idea of a good time, but to each his own. I've eaten more gas station hot dogs in desperation than I'm comfortable admitting.

uuFEWl.jpg

iban4mWoIk9Btf.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
D.Gray Man is depressing. Not only does it go into the shitter, the author then gets sick, and when she comes back it's as a monthly manga, and then, when the new chapter finally comes out, no one can make sense of it because it's just complete nonsense.

I wonder if it would even be remotely possible for a new anime adaptation to fix some of the issues with the manga provided they're due to incoherent presentation and not inherent in the plot. Probably not, but I can dream.

Head Cheese?

That's what I've always heard it called colloquially.

cajunator

Banned
You can...but it involves not buying anime Blu-ray/DVD/figurines for a while.

NEVER.

It'll usually be in the freezer section in any Chinese/Asian grocery, you can just pick some up there.

Given your family's culturally mixed culinary tradition I am very surprised you've never had this.

My family doesn't make a whole lot of dessert things, at least on the Chinese side. Lots of appetizers and other goodies. Maybe they get some of those egg roll cookies and stuff like that.
On my moms side we have a lot of pecan pralines, coccoons, and homemade Big Red ice cream.

Grzi

Another small incentive: I don't know how people feel about UVERworld around here, but the fourth OP is one of the best GET PUMPED, FUCK YEAH OPs ever. Nails the "this is the climax!" feel perfectly, as the final quarter of the show is a nonstop sequence of shit getting increasingly real with each passing episode.

Seeing the fourth OP actually made me start watching the show :)

Dresden

2nd OP is the best OP.

I wonder if it would even be remotely possible for a new anime adaptation to fix some of the issues with the manga provided they're due to incoherent presentation and not inherent in the plot. Probably not, but I can dream.
There's stuff happening in the back-from-wrist-injury chapters, but it's really difficult to make it out simply because nothing makes sense sequentially. It also jumps between like three different perspectives and I'm still not sure just what happened in that period.

Luckily after a few months that little, confusing "arc" ended and it went back to Allen doing stuff but man . . . that was so bad.

cajunator

Banned

uuFEWl.jpg

Eh, its not really like that. chicken gizzards taste like tougher chicken, but I like the texture of them. The real specialty here is boudin and it is astoundingly delicious food. There are dozens of places that make it the specific way its made here.
Also, my family makes dim-sum style things like wontons, some kind of translucent jelly thing with meat in it, and sweet pork buns, thingsl ike that. Also joong which is a sort of chinese tamale wrapped in bamboo leaves.

To be fair, the stuff they do is reprehensible. It's just portrayed in a way that you feel bad for them, which is arguably worse. For example (semi early spoilers)
there's a man that's been stealing organs from people for a while, but it was all for his incredibly sick daughter. I can't remember how exactly that helped, but I think it was pretty contrived. Anyway, Ogami burns the guy IN FRONT OF HIS WHEELCHAIR BOUND DAUGHTER. She looks horrified. It's implied Ogami did that to give her some magical will to live so she can carry out a Kill Bill style revenge when she gets older, but it was still visually fucked up.

zyTye.gif

first Kids on the Slope, now this and K. 2012 really is the year of the fujoshi

Every year is the year of the fujoshi. It's like the PS3.

That sounds borderline parody.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
2nd OP is the best OP.

Hey, somebody thinks he's funny over here.

There's stuff happening in the back-from-wrist-injury chapters, but it's really difficult to make it out simply because nothing makes sense sequentially. It also jumps between like three different perspectives and I'm still not sure just what happened in that period.

Luckily after a few months that little, confusing "arc" ended and it went back to Allen doing stuff but man . . . that was so bad.

That sounds decidedly difficult to salvage. I think I'll subject myself to the manga out of morbid curiosity and put my hopes for another series/series of OVAs to rest.

Eh, its not really like that. chicken gizzards taste like tougher chicken, but I like the texture of them. The real specialty here is boudin and it is astoundingly delicious food. There are dozens of places that make it the specific way its made here.
Also, my family makes dim-sum style things like wontons, some kind of translucent jelly thing with meat in it, and sweet pork buns, thingsl ike that. Also joong which is a sort of chinese tamale wrapped in bamboo leaves.

The closest thing to meat jelly that I can tolerate is the congealed gelatinous fat/melted cartilage/whatever that comes in a really nice pork tenderloin. I was brought up on the most boring white midwestern diet that you can imagine so my palate is kind of limited and woefully inexperienced when it comes to exotic cuisine.

I've heard of it, but after seeing what it's made of, I have no intention of ever trying it.

I think that I was told that the substance was referred to head cheese because the meat is traditionally the scrapings from the inside of the skull, so I always avoided it like the plague, hahah. I can't even eat anything that involves suspending bits of vegetable and fat in meat like pickle loaf.

A better quality version of the fourth D. Gray Man opening, just for DTL to get hyped for the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYkgYOQDzkw

Man, this gets my dormant shounen haato pumping hot blood.

cajunator

Banned
Hey, somebody thinks he's funny over here.

That sounds decidedly difficult to salvage. I think I'll subject myself to the manga out of morbid curiosity and put my hopes for another series/series of OVAs to rest.

The closest thing to meat jelly that I can tolerate is the congealed gelatinous fat/melted cartilage/whatever that comes in a really nice pork tenderloin. I was brought up on the most boring white midwestern diet that you can imagine so my palate is kind of limited and woefully inexperienced when it comes to exotic cuisine.

I think that I was told that the substance was referred to head cheese because the meat is traditionally the scrapings from the inside of the skull, so I always avoided it like the plague, hahah. I can't even eat anything that involves suspending bits of vegetable and fat in meat like pickle loaf.

Man, this gets my dormant shounen haato pumping hot blood.

I've tried a lot of different foods and flavors. you would probably love a lot of the stuff thats out there. Have you tried butter chicken and naan?

Also, today is WATCH ANIME ALL FUCKING DAY day so I I have to pick something out of a very large backlog to marathon.

cajunator

Banned
If you can't buy it at Kroger I probably haven't eaten it.

lol Kroger is one of the places I dispatch drivers to. they get REALLY pissed if you run their store out of fuel.
But anyway, you should try some different foods. Really great experiences.

But I digress, its time to watch a show...something...

Sailor moon?
Precure?
Apollon?
Tsuritama?
Sankarea?
Nyaruko san?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
lol Kroger is one of the places I dispatch drivers to. they get REALLY pissed if you run their store out of fuel.
But anyway, you should try some different foods. Really great experiences.

But I digress, its time to watch a show...something...

Sailor moon?
Precure?
Apollon?
Tsuritama?
Sankarea?
Nyaruko san?

Can't go wrong with any of the first four!

And speaking of supermarket chains, I just have to ask while I have the opportunity: as a southerner, have you ever been to a Piggly Wiggly? Please tell me you've been to a Piggly Wiggly.

cajunator

Banned
Can't go wrong with any of the first four!

And speaking of supermarket chains, I just have to ask while I have the opportunity: as a southerner, have you ever been to a Piggly Wiggly? Please tell me you've been to a Piggly Wiggly.

Of course. there's a Piggly wiggly my mother goes to all the time, and its down the street from a Winn Dixie. I've been in there dozens of times. Its a nice little grocery store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom