• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Well, it has been a while since I watched it but I recall it being quite esoteric initially. Perhaps I'm unjustly giving it a high barrier of entry that isn't there?

Maybe if you don't watch films or TV at all, sure. There's nothing in Wolf's Rain which is particularly anime. In fact, I think most people who watched it at the time found it frustrating because of a lack of a standard traditional anime narrative. :p

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Haibane Renmei isn't that kind of show, but it starts superficially similar to a "cute girls doing cute things" slice-of-life, which might be a turnoff if you have a strong aversion to that sort of thing.

Right, this is what I meant, since he seems to have such an aversion to cute things, Haibane Renmei doesn't particularly seem like something he'd like.

cajunator

Banned
Right, this is what I meant, since he seems to have such an aversion to cute things, Haibane Renmei doesn't particularly seem like something he'd like.

it has great characters, a mysterious story, beautiful artwork...I dont know what else it could do. Dont sell it short just because the girls are somewhat cute. they arent drawn in a moe style, they are drawn more realistically.

sleepykyo

Visually striking, dream-like and haunting.

Your "endorsement" of Iron Man broke my sarcasm detector.

Wolf's Rain can really be either. If some was inclined to see it as European literature it does feel like a fairy tale. If they're inclined to see it as animu, there are a bunch of furries and a chick with purple/pink hair.

Kwixotik

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Didn't expect to get such a fast and overwhelming response lol. I've been struggling just to keep up with looking these shows up, let alone being able to reply.

I added Baccano!, Kino's Journey, Samurai Champloo (I'm a huge hip hop fan), Planetes, and Ghost in the Shell to my list of anime to watch. I added Haibane Ranmei too, as Wikipedia says it was influenced by Haruki Murakami and I'm reading some of his works now.

That's not to say those are the only recommendations I'll add to my list. There are a lot that I haven't looked up yet.

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Didn't expect to get such a fast and overwhelming response lol. I've been struggling just to keep up with looking these shows up, let alone being able to reply.

I added Baccano!, Kino's Journey, Samurai Champloo (I'm a huge hip hop fan), Planetes, and Ghost in the Shell to my list of anime to watch. I added Haibane Ranmei too, as Wikipedia says it was influenced by Haruki Murakami and I'm reading some of his works now.

Glad to see that you're willing to check out Haibane Renmei; it really is a magical experience. It's my favorite anime for a reason.

wonzo

Banned

That's not to say those are the only recommendations I'll add to my list. There are a lot that I haven't looked up yet.
Check out the Time of Eve movie.

trejo

And speaking of gross looking foods you guys should really try some huitlacoche quesadillas sometime.

jXOuDSm9KbhB0.jpg

Oh and btw, do not google what huitlacoche is made of.

/XX/

I've always wanted to watch Melos but I just can't watch VHS/LD stuff. :(
It could be considered a disservice to the work in question, yes... but as with some of those historical documents to be preserved at any rate, in occasions there aren't and maybe never will be any other options.

That said, I swear I saw several years ago an emission of Melos: El Héroe Legendario, as is called on Spanish-speaking countries, maybe in one of the regional TV channels from the corporations associated in 'la FORTA'. Obviously it was of better quality than those available (that I know of) throughout the Internet.

I redoubled my efforts in search of a readily available digital archive of said (purportedly, I don't remember well) emission after seeing some time ago Ben's article on that work, but unsuccessfully, to the point of doubting about the existence of that emission... I'm starting to worry about my memory and mental health!

I don't know what you mean. How can anyone not endorse this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Q7xgxDJh4
Yes it does. This is what they call a bait and switch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB1Mq-C1Wlc

:(
Damned Takeshi Koike and his pilots...
it should be made possible to denounce him and MADHOUSE to the authorities for 'misleading advertising'.

Why does everyone hate Luffy anyway?

Only people with bad taste

I dont understand how anyone can hate Luffy, by design hes close to the top tier.
tumblr_lukh519Kt91qm26jgo1_250.jpg

I've seen shounen with much better protagonists, such as YYH, FMA, Gintama, even Toriko. And I don't like Spongebob!

I mean, I'm sure Luffy was designed to appeal to young boys, but it doesn't work for me.

That is just baffling to put Luffy under characters in those series? FMA even?! what? Only thing Toriko has are just powerful characters but beyond powers, only Coco is good, and for Gintama, well Sket Dance crew, especially Bossun > Gintoki. Luffy has big dreams and willing to do whatever for his friends, that should appeal to anyone.

Here's a version of the trailer that's accessible in the US. Looks like a bunch of smug bastards.

Code Breaker looks actually really cool in action. Main character hooked me in and a few of those characters. Hope it can be more than 12 episodes so we can get to know them all and give numerous chances for some action.

Grzi

Thinking about D. Gray Man made me realize what a great shounen show it could have been if it wasn't ruined with too much filler in its first half. For people interested in watching D. Gray Man, here's a list of filler episodes to skip, I found my old post on a Croatian anime forum lol

Anyway, skip episodes 16, 17, 18, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50. You won't miss out on anything by skipping through these episodes.

13, 14 and 15 are also filler, but you should watch them to avoid confusion about some anime original stuff that appears in non-filler episodes.

One Piece 143 - 156

Well the Jaya arc had Ace, so that was phenomenal. I can never get tired of seeing the best One Piece character. Quite a bit of the stuff I didn't remember or had forgot, like the epic fight of Luffy v Bellamy, sometimes it makes me wonder how can Oda make a character so cool at times, its amazing. Or the near Blackbeard Pirates Strawhat confrontation.

The trip up to Skypiea, when they played We Are was such a happy moment, some reason I teared up cause just riding the current, the song, flying Merry, was way better than in the manga. Unfortunately, the set ended just three or so episodes in.Luffy Zoro, and at times Sanji are so hilarious together, some episodes had me laughing so much.

Kingdom 3
tumblr_m5x033sEOb1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I guess by starting the series so emotionally, it can only go up from here. Not that I was getting tired of Shin crying, but glad he managed to move on. Sei is an interesting character, and I hope he displays more emotions than being all serious all the time. And the backstory is compelling, yet baffling
no way did that General Ouki beat Shoubunkun, he doesnt even look that strong!
. Muta looks like a fodder character...

Shounen King DTL, I must put an end to your madness...

Ace deserves all the screen time and more.

Thinking about D. Gray Man made me realize what a great shounen show it could have been if it wasn't ruined with too much filler in its first half. For people interested in watching D. Gray Man, here's a list of filler episodes to skip, I found my old post on a Croatian anime forum lol

Anyway, skip episodes 16, 17, 18, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50. You won't miss out on anything by skipping through these episodes.

13, 14 and 15 are also filler, but you should watch them to avoid confusion about some anime original stuff that appears in non-filler episodes.

i have watched d gray man first season and i have also read the manga up to chapter 100 and i think d gray man lack a clear direction..i think that's the general reason why i couldn't get into this anime.. ( i have no problem with shonen )

Grzi

i have watched d gray man first season and i have also read the manga up to chapter 100 and i think d gray man lack a clear direction..i think that's the general reason why i couldn't get into this anime.. ( i have no problem with shonen )

You should watch the second season, it's miles above the first one, top tier shounen as someone (Mad Pierrot?) already mentioned.

Defuser

Jormungand ep 11
I laugh when Nyaruko's voice comes out. Man Kana Asumi isn't so fitting for this kind of shows. Now it's 2 concurent arcs at the same time, how are they gonna resolved this next episode?

cajunator

Banned
And speaking of gross looking foods you guys should really try some huitlacoche quesadillas sometime.

Oh and btw, do not google what huitlacoche is made of.

Not a bad idea. I kind of like mushrooms. Huitlacoche apparently tastes like a sweet mushroom. I'd taste it.

7Th

Maybe if you don't watch films or TV at all, sure. There's nothing in Wolf's Rain which is particularly anime. In fact, I think most people who watched it at the time found it frustrating because of a lack of a standard traditional anime narrative. :p

The final 6 or so episodes are anime as hell. The main cast (meaning the wolves and Cheza) are also characters that would only exist in anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Planetes has one of the tropiest characters ever as the lead though. lol

I'd recommend Aria, just because it's awesome.

duckroll

It's really unfortunate that Keiko Nobumoto retired from the industry. There's something special about all the works she wrote: Peek the Whale, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Tokyo Godfathers. They're all unique and cool stuff which isn't commonly seen in anime. She also got to work with a lot of great directors. :(

Grzi

It's really unfortunate that Keiko Nobumoto retired from the industry. There's something special about all the works she wrote: Peek the Whale, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Tokyo Godfathers. They're all unique and cool stuff which isn't commonly seen in anime. She also got to work with a lot of great directors. :(

This seems interesting, might have to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom