• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Of course. there's a Piggly wiggly my mother goes to all the time, and its down the street from a Winn Dixie. I've been in there dozens of times. Its a nice little grocery store.

Living the dream.

I have pretty odd dreams, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jormungand 11
lSIRW.jpg
Probably the best episode of the series up until now, enough to the point where I'm excited for the rest of this. The enemies felt more foreboding and interesting, and the backstory for Velma is both something that feels in the moment and relevant but also revealing for multiple characters, including their relationships with one another.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, its a really simple affordable grocery store that looks like its stuck in the 70s.

Well, that can be fun. Sometimes I go to K-Mart just to pretend that it's 1985 again.

Okay, in an attempt not to be totally off topic, some Capcom online RPG called Ixion Saga is getting an anime adaptation. Here's a sample of the game's character design:

I eagerly await to see how these monstrosities translate to 2D.

Kwixotik

Hey, guys. Just posting to ask for some anime recommendations. Let me preface by saying I'm not much of an anime fan and none of the preferences I list are meant to cause insult or offense, they're just my preferences.

I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop, which I loved for its style and characters. It's the only anime I've watched in recent years, but I remember liking Death Note and Paranoia Agent in high school (though I've forgotten most of the plot of Paranoia Agent). I liked those for the suspense and mystery.

Anyway, I'm looking for more shows to watch, but I have some criteria. Believable and intriguing characters are important to me. I have a dislike for stock anime characters and tropes, specifically overly cutesy or moe otaku-targeted elements in anime. Also I hate fanservice as I feel that it compromises artistic integrity and is overly pandering to the audience. And I did enjoy the western feel of Cowboy Bebop as it made the show more accessible to me.

Monster has been suggested to me as well as Berserk. If you have comments on either of those or other recommendations, I'd be very interested in hearing them. I know this post isn't strictly related to "Spring Anime 2012", but I don't feel that anime recommendations based on my personal taste is deserving of its own thread. Sorry if I'm breaking the rules of this topic.

cajunator

Banned
Hey, guys. Just posting to ask for some anime recommendations. Let me preface by saying I'm not much of an anime fan and none of the preferences I list are meant to cause insult or offense, they're just my preferences.

I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop, which I loved for its style and characters. It's the only anime I've watched in recent years, but I remember liking Death Note and Paranoia Agent in high school (though I've forgotten most of the plot of Paranoia Agent). I liked those for the suspense and mystery.

Anyway, I'm looking for more shows to watch, but I have some criteria. Believable and intriguing characters are important to me. I have a dislike for stock anime characters and tropes, specifically overly cutesy or moe otaku-targeted elements in anime. Also I hate fanservice as I feel that it compromises artistic integrity and is overly pandering to the audience. And I did enjoy the western feel of Cowboy Bebop as it made the show more accessible to me.

Monster has been suggested to me as well as Berserk. If you have comments on either of those or other recommendations, I'd be very interested in hearing them. I know this post isn't strictly related to "Spring Anime 2012", but I don't feel that anime recommendations based on my personal taste is deserving of its own thread. Sorry if I'm breaking the rules of this topic.

Haibane Renmei
Kino's journey

Start off with those two. I bet you will enjoy them.

No rules being broken. This is really just the "official anime thread" with a different name. Some people in here don't even watch stuff from the current season and just post about whatever.

Anyway, Berserk and Monster definitely fit your criteria. Western tropes on the former and no tropes you dislike with the latter. Maybe check out Black Lagoon too. I might also recommend Kaiji for the suspense if you're a Death Note fan. Might be hit or miss though.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

If you haven't already seen it, I give a strong recommendation for Baccano!.

Not sure if you're interested in watching an ongoing series, but Space Brothers certainly fits the believable and intriguing characters part.

Grzi

Try Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Mononoke, Kids on the Slope, Fate/zero, Kino's Journey, Baccano! (although it's a bit lighthearted and wacky, I think you'll still like it), Planetes, Mushishi, Gankutsuou, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Xam'd Lost Memories and maybe throw in both Fullmetal Alchemist series which I'm sure you'd like, even if they do have some stock anime characters and tropes.
I'm sure you'd like most (if not all) of these shows.

Don't apologize; this is really a catch-all thread, so any and all inquires related to anime are welcome. Anyway, my apologies for not having time to go into detail, but here are some ideas for you to investigate.

Anne of Green Gables
Baccano!
Gankutsuou
Gauche the Cellist
Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Millennium Actress
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mononoke
Mushishi
Space Brothers (currently airing)
Tatami Galaxy
Tokyo Godfathers
Tsuritama (currently airing)

All of these fulfill your criteria of having strong characters and not relying too much, if at all, on stereotypical anime tropes.

Don't apologize; this is really a catch-all thread, so any and all inquires related to anime are welcome. Anyway, my apologies for not having time to go into detail, but here are some ideas for you to investigate.

Anne of Green Gables
Baccano!
Gankutsuou
Gauche the Cellist
Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Millennium Actress
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Mononoke
Mushishi
Space Brothers (currently airing)
Tatami Galaxy
Tokyo Godfathers
Tsuritama (currently airing)

All of these fulfill your criteria of having strong characters and not relying too much, if at all, on stereotypical anime tropes.

Eh, that's pretty tropey. I mean it has a genki guy!

trejo

Based on your criteria it seems to me that you definitely need some Planetes in your life. Also do check out Moribito Guardian of the Spirit. And from this season I'll second Space Bros as a must-watch.

Eh, that's pretty tropey. I mean it has a genki guy!

Tsuritama has an offbeat sense of humor that can be cartoony at times, but I don't think it has any anime tropes that Kwixotik would find distasteful. It's certainly not "overly cutesy". Haru really isn't a super-stereotypical character, especially as he develops over the course of the show.

Why didn't anyone recommend Wolf's Rain. :(

Because I haven't seen it yet.

Tsuritama has an offbeat sense of humor that can be cartoony at times, but I don't think it has any anime tropes that Kwixotik would find distasteful. It's certainly not "overly cutesy". Haru really isn't a super-stereotypical character, especially as he develops over the course of the show.

I really can't agree. He might be slightly more developed by the end, but he's still a standard "Keet" (forgive the tvtropes language) that you see in a ton of anime.

duckroll

For as much as I liked it I also feel it's a show to tackle once you've got some more experience under your belt. Beginner's animu it ain't.

I don't see it as "anime" at all though. It's a Japanese animated series, sure. But like Cowboy Bebop, the influences all generally come from non-anime inspirations. It's more of a pulp scifi folk fable which you might find in some 70s scifi/fantasy magazine or comic from Europe. Visually striking, dream-like and haunting.

Definitely check out Monster.

Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
Gungrave
(skip the first episode)
Based on your criteria it seems to me that you definitely need some Planetes in your life. Also do check out Moribito Guardian of the Spirit. And from this season I'll second Space Bros as a must-watch.
I was going to say Planetes, but I thought it might be a little too "anime" for what he is looking for.

Grzi

You lack conviction.

Yeah :( I just wanted to recommend shows most people like. You can tell my personal preferences started to show near the end of the list, with Xam'd (and FMA: B to an extent), but by then, I have already forgotten about having considered Wolf's Rain.

I really can't agree. He might be slightly more developed by the end, but he's still a standard "Keet" (forgive the tvtropes language) that you see in a ton of anime.

Certainly he falls into this general character type, but I do feel that he is more than that, and at any rate this particular trope is not one that people generally think of when they're looking to avoid "stereotypical anime". Now I can't promise that someone won't find Haru annoying, as quite a few people did at the beginning of the show (for reasons I can't personally sympathize with), but if they do, it won't be because he's overly pandering to otaku or whatever.

I thought you guys had all become furry already.

Hosoda hasn't converted everyone yet.

trejo

I don't see it as "anime" at all though. It's a Japanese animated series, sure. But like Cowboy Bebop, the influences all generally come from non-anime inspirations. It's more of a pulp scifi folk fable which you might find in some 70s scifi/fantasy magazine or comic from Europe. Visually striking, dream-like and haunting.

Well, it has been a while since I watched it but I recall it being quite esoteric initially. Perhaps I'm unjustly giving it a high barrier of entry that isn't there?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Outlaw Star perhaps? That usually appeals to those who liked Cowboy Bebop.

I wonder if recommending Bodacious Space Pirates is pushing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom