• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stStrike

Banned
But thats hard, contrary to popular belief, mine would be split between Naruto, of course, and Natsu Dragneel....Tsunayoshi Sawada is the most easy one to relate with, and Ouma Shu is kind of a new favorite.

Uhm dont you mean future Trunks?!

Natsu and Naruto are kind of the same thing.

1. They're both pretty dumb
2. Both use brute force over strategy in most fights
3. Etc. Etc.

Steroyd

Natsu and Naruto are kind of the same thing.

1. They're both pretty dumb
2. Both use brute force over strategy in most fights
3. Etc. Etc.

That's why he likes them, however I am shocked he didn't name drop Sasuske.

I'd like to know what the heck makes Ouma Shu so likable, he ranked rather highly in the online polls when Guilty Crown aired, and I just don't get why.

Defuser

I'd like to know what the heck makes Ouma Shu so likable, he ranked rather highly in the online polls when Guilty Crown aired, and I just don't get why.

Fucking Fujoshis or maybe Kaji Yuuki fans

1stStrike

Banned

I think it's because he's that typical anime character which "shoulder's the world's burden" and such. I mean, his power at the end is
a magic arm that absorbs disease and such into it
so people tend to go gaga over characters like that.

Personally, I thought he wasn't too bad. There's definitely been much worse MC's in anime before.

I was surprised at how much i liked Yoshimori Sumimura from Kekkaishi. Show had it's ups and downs, but he was a pretty distinct MC. Wasn't a crazy perv, and had a pretty 'normal' face.

The whole cube magic thing in that show was pretty rad.

Mother fucking amazon recommendations.

amazon.png

That's why he likes them, however I am shocked he didn't name drop Sasuke.

Although I like Sasuke just as much as Naruto, I wouldn't have Sasuke on a list of shounen protagonists. Sasuke is really only enhanced and developed by Naruto, almost not even caring about those around except for Itachi and Naruto. Maybe once he attains redemption and has a better outlook on life, then I would, but at this time, he's a bit too dark and lost.

I think it's because he's that typical anime character which "shoulder's the world's burden" and such. I mean, his power at the end is
a magic arm that absorbs disease and such into it
so people tend to go gaga over characters like that.

Personally, I thought he wasn't too bad. There's definitely been much worse MC's in anime before.

Shu just seemed like someone we could really understand. If we put ourselves in his shoes its how we would imagine we would want to be. I liked all that he stood for, and that he wasn't trying to be a show off with the king's power, and actually wanted to make things right with his friends and protect them too. He seemed like a modernized and improved take on Shinji Ikari with even more likable qualities, and actually cooly accepting what he could do in the world.

Kagami

Mother fucking amazon recommendations.

amazon.png

Amazon.co.jp top 15 recommendations for me says:
  1. RO-KYU-BU! VA-unit album CD "Pure Elements"
  2. Ro-Kyu-Bu! PSP game limited edition
  3. Haganai novel vol. 7 limited edition w/DVD
  4. Haganai BD vol. 6
  5. Strike Witches - Maidens of the Sky - vol. 2 (TV series comicalization)
  6. Haganai ending theme song single CD
  7. Haganai opening theme song single CD
  8. Ro-Kyu-Bu! soundtrack
  9. Strike Witches movie novelization
  10. Strike Witches - Witch in Afrika: Kay's Report (novel)
  11. Strike Witches - Witch in Afrika (manga)
  12. Bodacious Space Pirates BD vol. 5
  13. Strike Witches - Maidens of the Sky - vol. 1
  14. Bodacious Space Pirates BD vol. 7
  15. Ano Natsu de Matteru BD vol. 4
Nothing particularly surprising/amusing unfortunately.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amazon.co.jp top 15 recommendations for me says:
  1. RO-KYU-BU! VA-unit album CD "Pure Elements"
  2. Ro-Kyu-Bu! PSP game limited edition
  3. Haganai novel vol. 7 limited edition w/DVD
  4. Haganai BD vol. 6
  5. Strike Witches - Maidens of the Sky - vol. 2 (TV series comicalization)
  6. Haganai ending theme song single CD
  7. Haganai opening theme song single CD
  8. Ro-Kyu-Bu! soundtrack
  9. Strike Witches movie novelization
  10. Strike Witches - Witch in Afrika: Kay's Report (novel)
  11. Strike Witches - Witch in Afrika (manga)
  12. Bodacious Space Pirates BD vol. 5
  13. Strike Witches - Maidens of the Sky - vol. 1
  14. Bodacious Space Pirates BD vol. 7
  15. Ano Natsu de Matteru BD vol. 4
Nothing particularly surprising/amusing unfortunately.

The irony being that you already have all of those preordered/bought.

Branduil

It's really unfortunate that Keiko Nobumoto retired from the industry. There's something special about all the works she wrote: Peek the Whale, Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Tokyo Godfathers. They're all unique and cool stuff which isn't commonly seen in anime. She also got to work with a lot of great directors. :(

I thought you hated the writing in Macross Plus.

Branduil

Hey, guys. Just posting to ask for some anime recommendations. Let me preface by saying I'm not much of an anime fan and none of the preferences I list are meant to cause insult or offense, they're just my preferences.

I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop, which I loved for its style and characters. It's the only anime I've watched in recent years, but I remember liking Death Note and Paranoia Agent in high school (though I've forgotten most of the plot of Paranoia Agent). I liked those for the suspense and mystery.

Anyway, I'm looking for more shows to watch, but I have some criteria. Believable and intriguing characters are important to me. I have a dislike for stock anime characters and tropes, specifically overly cutesy or moe otaku-targeted elements in anime. Also I hate fanservice as I feel that it compromises artistic integrity and is overly pandering to the audience. And I did enjoy the western feel of Cowboy Bebop as it made the show more accessible to me.

Monster has been suggested to me as well as Berserk. If you have comments on either of those or other recommendations, I'd be very interested in hearing them. I know this post isn't strictly related to "Spring Anime 2012", but I don't feel that anime recommendations based on my personal taste is deserving of its own thread. Sorry if I'm breaking the rules of this topic.

People have recommended a lot of these already, but:

-Studio Ghibli films
-Haibane Renmei
-Usagi Drop
-Escaflowne
-The Tatami Galaxy
-Time of Eve
-Baccano
-Dennou Coil
-The Place Promised in Our Early Days
-Infinite Ryvius
-Kino's Journey
-Macross Plus
-Sword of the Stranger
-Now and Then, Here and There
-Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
-Fullmetal Alchemist
-Fate/Zero
-Colorful(movie)

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why didn't anyone recommend Wolf's Rain. :(

Go to bed, duckroll. I don't know what time it is for you, but I can tell that it's getting late.

And speaking of gross looking foods you guys should really try some huitlacoche quesadillas sometime.

Oh and btw, do not google what huitlacoche is made of.

Too late, I've seen Bobby Flay cook with this shit on Iron Chef America before. Only a brutal ancient civilization that sacrificed people to gods by cutting their hearts out and played basketball with their enemies' heads could have found such a horror appetizing.

Since we're talking shounen, who's the best shounen MC ever?

Kenshin.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Is Wolf's Rain that bad? I've had friends recommend it to me so it's been on my to-watch list forever.

Back when I saw it eons ago I wasn't a fan.

Maybe I should give it a rewatch now. My tastes in certain things have evolved for the better, I may better appreciate a show involving a bunch of wolves.

Sailor Moon 14

Princess of Tennis! The art seems a bit more... idk, different this eps. Consistent?

Youma was pretty hilarious. Wonder what's up with tuxedo mask. A reoccurring plot??

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is Wolf's Rain that bad? I've had friends recommend it to me so it's been on my to-watch list forever.

My opinion is that it's a series with a lot of strong points that unfortunately lurches ever further off the deep end as it goes on and
culminates in one of the most unsatisfying endings in any anime
. I wouldn't outright recommend not watching it, but at least know what you're in for.

Back when I saw it eons ago I wasn't a fan.

Maybe I should give it a rewatch now. My tastes in certain things have evolved for the better, I may better appreciate a show involving a bunch of wolves.

The characters are always either wolves or humans, never anything in between!

I didn't think so. Loved the music from it though.

Oh yeah, how could I forget the music? That's probably the show's biggest redeeming feature. Gravity might still be my favorite ED of all time, no lie.

duckroll

After checking out the Magi manga, I'm actually pretty impressed. I really hope they get a good studio and director to handle the adaptation, because it could be really special if done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom