• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I would weep at a young girl growing wiser.

She didn't grow wiser. She started off as a happy, fun high school student with plenty of time ahead to do whatever she wanted. She used time travel recklessly, but the results were ridiculously bad and highly contrived, thus "teaching" her a false lesson and shaming her undeservedly. She winds up a mess, shamed out of her happy and fun-loving life, manipulated into "running towards" a future that doesn't exist, most likely to end up isolated like her aunt who went through a similar ordeal.

duckroll

It's kinda surprising that we have confirmation of the Magi anime, the time slot, and when it's going to air, but still no real leaks about the staff or studio. I hope that doesn't mean bad things!

If by growing wiser, you mean avoiding reality and becoming an emotional wreck rather than the fun genki girl she was at first, then yeah.

At the beginning of the film, Makoto is an impulsive, insensitive person, and she uses her newly acquired powers accordingly. At the end, she no longer takes time for granted and has a newly attuned appreciation for the feelings of others. It's pretty simple.

Akibaranger 11

holy shit, this is the one true show of the season

Look at all that meta.

duckroll

With the Nichigo slot taken by Magi, this probably means that Zetsuen is getting a late night slot and might not be a long series. Maybe this means a better chance for a full original adaptation where Ando and the BONES animators can show off their shit instead of following the manga! :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 5-8

Brony conventions...
nakonako_zps8177182f.jpg

Years before Yuujou wa Mahou.

She didn't grow wiser. She started off as a happy, fun high school student with plenty of time ahead to do whatever she wanted. She used time travel recklessly, but the results were ridiculously bad and highly contrived, thus "teaching" her a false lesson and shaming her undeservedly. She winds up a mess, shamed out of her happy and fun-loving life, manipulated into "running towards" a future that doesn't exist, most likely to end up isolated like her aunt who went through a similar ordeal.

I don't know how you could look at Makoto in the last scene, and say she's lost her ability to enjoy life. Plus, part of growing up is realizing that you don't have as much time as you think you do, and you need to be thinking about how you spend each moment of your life so you don't have regrets later. It's a hard lesson to hear, but it's true!

Branduil

The movie ends with
Makoto playing baseball with Kousuke and the stalker girls.
The Makoto you're imagining doesn't exist.

Instro

It's kinda surprising that we have confirmation of the Magi anime, the time slot, and when it's going to air, but still no real leaks about the staff or studio. I hope that doesn't mean bad things!

Staff list is so impressive that they have to keep it super secret of course.

The movie ends with
Makoto playing baseball with Kousuke and the stalker girls.
The Makoto you're imagining doesn't exist.

I hope you're right. But I can't believe that.

When you compare to the aunt, who also knew time travel, who was broken-hearted over someone who said they would wait for her, and spent her time on restoring the painting, it's hard not to see a parallel to Makoto.

Makoto said she would run towards Chiaki, which is a nonexistent future for her.

In any case, I was annoyed by how contrived the disasters of using time travel were. And I never saw evidence that Makoto needed to be taught a lesson. Yes, you have to make use of your time. But she was a high school student. She was already using her time in good ways for a high school student.

cajunator

Banned

Sometimes life doesnt have the happiest ending.
Not that the end to TGWLTT is particulary sad. I think it was actually very optimistic.

Makoto

I hope you're right. But I can't believe that.

When you compare to the aunt, who also knew time travel, who was broken-hearted over someone who said they would wait for her, and spent her time on restoring the painting, it's hard not to see a parallel to Makoto.

Makoto said she would run towards Chiaki, which is a nonexistent future for her.

In any case, I was annoyed by how contrived the disasters of using time travel were. And I never saw evidence that Makoto needed to be taught a lesson. Yes, you have to make use of your time. But she was a high school student. She was already using her time in good ways for a high school student.
In the first couple of minutes,
Makoto wakes up well past her alarm. To the point where her already-dressed sister is watching her sleep as time passes by. Then she nearly hits a train because she's of the idea that she's cutting it really close to class time. Then when it comes to school, she opts to skimp on class duties until she's caught.

In the beginning of the film, she describes herself as the run-of-the-mill average school student when in reality she began in the film as a slacker and screw-up. She was someone who wasn't honest with herself and couldn't confront reality.
There was plenty of evidence that she needed to be taught something.

Edit: From watching the opening scenes of the film again, I really have no clue where your idea of:
She started off as a happy, fun high school student with plenty of time ahead to do whatever she wanted.
Came from. It implies there was little to nothing wrong with her life when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Dresden

Apollon - 11

The
bait and switch
was so ugly and terrible. We've known for quite a while now that every character that's not Kaoru or Sentaro are cheap, disposable things but the events in this episode brought that point home in such an unpleasant fashion.

There are scenes I liked after that little twist but it was difficult for me to care about them. I guess the next episode will have some music or something. I guess I can enjoy that.

omM2Il.jpg

The picture above is a shot from this episode. I don't know why I put that there. Maybe one day I will learn to love again.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 3

kingdom3.jpg
kingdom3a.jpg

fyi the second frame isn't an inbetween but a static pose that stayed like that for 5 seconds

kingdom3.gif
kingdom3a.gif

i really should drop this pile of shit but something about it just keeps me from doing so..... :(

(Saimoe) Voting for some RKB loli over Ayu should be a criminal offense, and I don't mean just because she's an RKB loli! :)

Sexual assault is humorous?

No, and I didn't think that part was funny, but the show usually is, the rest of the time.

Polar Bear's iDOLC@FE 12

I wonder if Panda has what it takes to win the #1 spot in the AKB48 GENERAL ELECTION.
I'm sure Panda could do it if he tried, right?

... No, he'd probably just fall asleep. Of course though, he'd be so cute doing so that not everyone watching would care...

I too dropped Ladies versus Butlers in the middle of the first episode. A few months later, here I am, giving it another shot and something just clicked and now I can't put it down. There's probably no good reason I could give you to jump back in but to give the first episode another go in its entirety.
... Why can't you put it down though? That bad harem show charm?

Not that often. Maybe 3-4 episodes per season. But when they do show up, they are fuckawesome.
Yeah, that's right.

Horizon is better than all but maybe 5 of those.
It's better than some of those, but all but maybe five? No, it's more than that for sure.

Yeah, but backlog and weekly following is different, I always like to have a variety of shows I can watch weekly, without neglecting the backlog too much.

I do thank you however, for filling the old backlog with the bolded shows, the rest of your list was already on it. :)
I agree, there is a difference between shows that have finished and shows which are currently airing.

Kara no Kyoukai 3

Keita kind of reminds me of Ryuunosuke in design. Personality-wise, they're kind of close, with the former being more of a general scumbag rather than a twisted psychopath like the latter. Wonder if there was any inspiration there.

Speaking of which, Fujino is basically a more deluded, self-righteous Lucy. Loved the way she killed people.

Anyway, story-wise, this was the least boring of the 3 I've seen so far. The action sequence was good, though not as good as the one in the first film.

duckroll

Kara no Kyoukai 3

Keita kind of reminds me of Ryuunosuke in design. Personality-wise, they're kind of close, with the former being more of a general scumbag rather than a twisted psychopath like the latter. Wonder if there was any inspiration there.

Speaking of which, Fujino is basically a more deluded, self-righteous Lucy. Loved the way she killed people.

Anyway, story-wise, this was the least boring of the 3 I've seen so far. The action sequence was good, though not as good as the one in the first film.

3 and 5 are the only ones which are really good imo. They have good villains and great flow, and don't get bogged down by too much annoying bullshit and bad writing. Other than that 1 and 6 are the only others I kinda enjoyed.

duckroll

Just read the manga. The anime completely misses the point.

I appreciate that the anime bothered to take the idea and make it into a movie which normal people might actually be able to enjoy. I didn't enjoy either the manga nor the anime, but the anime is definitely better and less sexist/unpleasant.

I appreciate that the anime bothered to take the idea and make it into a movie which normal people might actually be able to enjoy. I didn't enjoy either the manga nor the anime, but the anime is definitely better and less sexist/unpleasant.
The manga is more sexist? Well that explains why cosmicblizzard likes it.

Cosmic isn't sexist, though. There's girls in shonen manga.

Yeah, girls which take a back seat to the boys like 95% of the time. (note: this is a comment about the usually poor positions of female characters in shonen manga, not about cosmic.)

... Seriously though, sexism certainly is the worst thing by far about anime and manga, no question.

duckroll

You should watch Minori Scramble!. It has hilarious slapstick, an adorable penguin girl, and a 2D car chase! How can you say no?

Speaking of which, Kondo was recently speaking at an event at Tokushima with other industry guests, and he brought up Anime Bunko as a project which they will not be able to continue with because it is a financial failure. The sales were terrible. But he said that he hopes people who see it and are interested continue to pick it up if they can, and maybe eventually sales will add up. He said that if everyone in that room bought a copy of Minori Scramble, sales would jump up by about 150 instantly, and Aniplex might go "HUH?! WHAT HAPPENED??". Lol. :(

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I heard there were gonna be naked girls. I was lied to!

Srsly though great stuff dude. gonna keep an eye on your channel. :>

There was! it was at the beginning :> but it was derp - also, will twitch let me stream drawing hentai? Hmmm I wonder... I kinda wanted to draw Yui's backside.

If only you used your power for good and not evil.

Why can't you appreciate cute!! WHY CANT YOU APPRECIATE ANYTHING!!!

Speaking of which, Kondo was recently speaking at an event at Tokushima with other industry guests, and he brought up Anime Bunko as a project which they will not be able to continue with because it is a financial failure. The sales were terrible. But he said that he hopes people who see it and are interested continue to pick it up if they can, and maybe eventually sales will add up. He said that if everyone in that room bought a copy of Minori Scramble, sales would jump up by about 150 instantly, and Aniplex might go "HUH?! WHAT HAPPENED??". Lol. :(

That's unfortunate. Oh well.

Grzi

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 The Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer

With seeing many gundam fans split on the movie, I was expecting something pretty not good. Fortunately that was not the case as 120 minutes of Setsuna F Seiei, 00 Raiser, Saji, and even
00 Quanta and Full Innovator Setsuna
, was actually pretty awesome and pleasing. Its like they made Setsuna have all the qualities of a perfect character, cool design, great voice, intense strong abilities, and even the best lines.

Visuals were exactly what I wanted with so many beams, lasers, beam swords, and explosions. It kind of makes me want even more Gundam 00. Now Im tempted to rewatch 00 all over again even though I just did it two months ago. 10/10, worth the $20 and made me wish the tv series was released in the US in full hd.

Another amazing DTL post.
Well done. :)

wonzo

Banned
That's a real shame. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom