• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Speaking of which, Kondo was recently speaking at an event at Tokushima with other industry guests, and he brought up Anime Bunko as a project which they will not be able to continue with because it is a financial failure. The sales were terrible. But he said that he hopes people who see it and are interested continue to pick it up if they can, and maybe eventually sales will add up. He said that if everyone in that room bought a copy of Minori Scramble, sales would jump up by about 150 instantly, and Aniplex might go "HUH?! WHAT HAPPENED??". Lol. :(

Duckroll, given your appreciation for ufotable, you mighty want to give Futakoi Alternative a shot (if you haven't already). Actually, everyone should. It's an interesting example of trying to do something different with the harem genre, extremely different. While flawed in some parts of the execution, I think it's still worth the watch, it's a nice short show, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Mysterious Boobs X 5
5qzvg.jpg

Best episode?
Boobs.
XL9CV.jpg

Best episode.

duckroll

Duckroll, given your appreciation for ufotable, you mighty want to give Futakoi Alternative a shot (if you haven't already). Actually, everyone should. It's an interesting example of trying to do something different with the harem genre, extremely different. While flawed in some parts of the execution, I think it's still worth the watch, it's a nice short show, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I watched Futakoi Alternative back when it first aired. It was pretty fun. That was the only older Ufotable show I liked. Manabi Straight was boring, and Coyote Rag Time had a great premise which didn't really go anywhere I wanted it to.

Grzi

I watched Futakoi Alternative back when it first aired. It was pretty fun. That was the only older Ufotable show I liked. Manabi Straight was boring, and Coyote Rag Time had a great premise which didn't really go anywhere I wanted it to.

I've actually only seen Futakoi Alternative from their pre-Fate/Zero TV shows, but I must say, although Coyote Ragtime Show seemed interesting, I always felt it had that cheap look (going by the artwork). Is the actual show well animated?

I also mostly liked what they did with the Tales of Symphonia OVAs.

Articalys

That week-long wait was agonizing.

Eureka Seven AO 10

Interesting episode. Not a ton of robot action, but a good number of tense moments and
some backstory/characterization for Rebecka and Ivica, plus Truth being creepy again and noting that the Secrets "aren't what you think they are"

duckroll

I've actually only seen Futakoi Alternative from their pre-Fate/Zero TV shows, but I must say, although Coyote Ragtime Show seemed interesting, I always felt it had that cheap look (going by the artwork). Is the actual show well animated?

I also mostly liked what they did with the Tales of Symphonia OVAs.

I can't really remember if it has much good animation, but I don't recall it being cheap. Just got boring. I stopped watching the Tales OVAs after ToP, which is one of the worst OVAs I've ever seen in terms of direction, pacing, and narrative. It was like some random abridged version of the game with no tact in trying to be a good stand alone animated work. Meh. :(

Grzi

I can't really remember if it has much good animation, but I don't recall it being cheap. Just got boring. I stopped watching the Tales OVAs after ToP, which is one of the worst OVAs I've ever seen in terms of direction, pacing, and narrative. It was like some random abridged version of the game with no tact in trying to be a good stand alone animated work. Meh. :(

:D I thought it was pretty good back when I saw it. Granted, I don't remember much of it (loved the PSX remake of the game though), so I could consider it bad nowadays. Not interested in it enough to go and check it out though.
But it wasn't done by Ufotable, so you might appreciate the Symphonia OVAs more. Not that I consider them amazing or anything, but having watched them more recently than the Phantasia OVA, I thought they were okay. Although, the same things that bothered you with ToP might bother you here, I just have a hard time viewing them as stand alone works having played the games and all.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 6
iNorI.jpg

I totally understand now.
There just wasn't enough Oka in this episode, and she really does look like a grade schooler with huge tits.She's so short. And they're all so formal calling each other by their family name, who knew they got off on people calling them by their first name? And we actually get to meet his old middle school crush, and Urabe would be sad if he met her a cafe to talk? But didn't she have this other guy taste her drool? Get out while you can Tsubaki.
X9934.jpg

I too sometimes dream in terrible CG.

wonzo

Banned
tsuritama 11

WOW. This was an absolutely incredible episode, a real roller-coaster of emotions.
Straight from the beginning I felt a great sense of relief that the Captain and BOSS were alive. That sense of relief progressively turned into sheer raw joy and excitement up until the very moment where everything goes absolutely wrong. This horrible turn of events was only made even worse when Haru finally said his goodbye's at the very end, leaving us with the "Continued in #12" message.
I honestly cannot wait untill next week for the conclusion of this fantastic series which will hopefully continue to one up itself with each and every single episode and leave us with an absolutely mind blowingly amazing final episode and when I say amazing, I mean the end of episode 3 times a billion kind of amazing!!!!

Defuser

So it's A1-pictures after all, I'm semi worried considering they butchered Fairy Tail.

Madhouse wish they got that many projects.

duckroll

TV series currently being produced by A-1 Pictures: Fairy Tale (ongoing), Space Bros (ongoing), Sword Art Online (Summer, 2 cour), Gyrozetter (Fall, possibly 4 cour), From the New World (2012, no other info), Vivid Red Operation (no info), Magi (Fall, possibly 4 cour).

Movies currently being produced by A-1 Pictures: Fairy Tale movie (Fall), Blue Exorcist (2013).

That's a shitload of stuff from a single animation studio. I wonder how big their offices are... I guess they can always buy more floors if they need to, just like how they pay more animation directors when required... :p

Defuser

1) Fairy Tail is a co-production with Satelight.

2) Staff, staff, staff. Who the director is will be key.

Wasn't that in beginning? I'm pretty sure I don't see Satelight's name on it anymore. I'll be keeping my eye on who is the director and the voice casting for the show. No Kugiloli please unless she is using that Hastur/Alphonse/Shota voice.

Wasn't that in beginning? I'm pretty sure I don't see Satelight's name on it anymore.

Well, it's not like I actually watch the show, so I can't say. At any rate, I think Blue Exorcist, the previous shounen manga adaptation from A-1 that aired in the Nichigo slot, is a better precedent if you're looking for one.

duckroll

Wasn't that in beginning? I'm pretty sure I don't see Satelight's name on it anymore. I'll be keeping my eye on who is the director and the voice casting for the show. No Kugiloli please unless she is using that Hastur/Alphonse/Shota voice.

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's still an ongoing co-produciton. A-1 handles all the overall production and business stuff, but Satelight is still listed as part of animation production. The movie seems to be entirely A-1 though.

3Kaze

:D I thought it was pretty good back when I saw it. Granted, I don't remember much of it (loved the PSX remake of the game though), so I could consider it bad nowadays. Not interested in it enough to go and check it out though.
But it wasn't done by Ufotable, so you might appreciate the Symphonia OVAs more. Not that I consider them amazing or anything, but having watched them more recently than the Phantasia OVA, I thought they were okay. Although, the same things that bothered you with ToP might bother you here, I just have a hard time viewing them as stand alone works having played the games and all.
While the Symphonia OVAs aren't exactly standalone works, I think it's a pretty good adaptation nonetheless. They rewrote every cutscene from the game to fit into the anime format and cut a bunch of useless stuff, also presenting the silly Tales plot in a serious way. The last OVA was nothing like the game (Yoshizumi said it will be an original ending), so I'm liking it so far.

Grzi

Well, it's not like I actually watch the show, so I can't say. At any rate, I think Blue Exorcist, the previous shounen manga adaptation from A-1 that aired in the Nichigo slot, is a better precedent if you're looking for one.

Blue Exorcist had amazing production values for the first half. Actually, everything about it was pretty great for the first half.

Too bad about the rest :(

It wasn't that bad actually, just not as good as the first half, the animation quality suffered the most.

wonzo

Banned
Sankarea 10

Welp, if you thought Rea's father couldn't get any more creepy or unsympathetic then you need to see episode 10 because holy shit. That definitely helps explain why Rea's mother is such a fucking wreck.

/XX/

Speaking of which, Kondo was recently speaking at an event at Tokushima with other industry guests, and he brought up Anime Bunko as a project which they will not be able to continue with because it is a financial failure. The sales were terrible. But he said that he hopes people who see it and are interested continue to pick it up if they can, and maybe eventually sales will add up. He said that if everyone in that room bought a copy of Minori Scramble, sales would jump up by about 150 instantly, and Aniplex might go "HUH?! WHAT HAPPENED??". Lol. :(
If Yuri Seijin Naoko-san did 0.95 frt (http://dvdbd.wiki.fc2.com/wiki/アニメ文庫 百合星人ナオコサン?sid=ab65df3854c43cb), I don't want to imagine the ridiculous amount sold by the other ones.

I really... really wonder how the hell in that country, with its sizable amount of population, there isn't at least a bit more than a thousand people that would say "hmmm, I don't know what this is but it looks funny and cute enough to warrant a little bit of my monthly pension/allowance/salary", or from those that already read the graphic novel and liked it... we are talking here of a single volume at a very reasonable price compared to other releases! Seriously... heck! At that level of sales even foreigner animation super-freaks and their imports, or rare compulsive collectors of anything animation related that hits the market should have made a difference... or that I would like to think in my naivety...

I'm not one of those helping either, but seeing this makes me want to.

Articalys

BIGLOBE has spoken. The official poll results, with 10,361 total votes, for the most anticipated summer show:

1 Yuruyuri♪♪ (1,062)
2 Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II (1,035)
3 Kokoro Connect (837)
4 Sword Art Online (781)
5 Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imoto ga Iru! (711)
6 Dog Days' (635)
7 Tari Tari (577)
8 Binbogami ga! (491)
9 Dakara Boku-ha, H ga Dekinai. (374)
10 Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (347)
11 Ebiten: Koritsu Ebisugawa Koko Tenmon-Bu (346)
12 Oda Nobuna no Yabo (322)
13 Upotte!! (318)
14 Love, Election, & Chocolate ((288)
15 Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne season 2 (277)
16 Chitose Get You!! (272)
17 Joshiraku (240)
18 Campione! (229)
19 Moyashimon Returns (219)
20 Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse (203)
21 La storia della Arcana Famiglia (181)
22 Hagure Yusha no Estetica (171)
23 Choyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi (152)
24 Natsuyuki Rendezvous (148)
25 Hakuoki Reimeiroku (145)

BIGLOBE has spoken. The official poll results, with 10,361 total votes, for the most anticipated summer show:

4 Sword Art Online (781)
18 Campione! (229)

As usual most of mine are intially not at the top. Surprised Campione! is that, as although I think it will be fun its pv makes it seem slightly above average for the genre so it should be much higher.

wonzo

Banned

1 Yuruyuri♪♪ (1,062)
3 Kokoro Connect (837)
4 Sword Art Online (781)
6 Dog Days' (635)
7 Tari Tari (577)
8 Binbogami ga! (491)
13 Upotte!! (318)
17 Joshiraku (240)
18 Campione! (229)
heartcatcherikeugh.gif

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

1 Yuruyuri♪♪ (1,062)

3 Kokoro Connect (837)
4 Sword Art Online (781)
6 Dog Days' (635)
7 Tari Tari (577)
8 Binbogami ga! (491)
13 Upotte!! (318)
17 Joshiraku (240)
18 Campione! (229)

AjXi1.gif

/XX/

That's a shitload of stuff from a single animation studio. I wonder how big their offices are... I guess they can always buy more floors if they need to, just like how they pay more animation directors when required... :p
A-1 Pictures Asagaya Studio, main offices and animation production area expressly designed for their needs:

A-1 Pictures 阿佐ヶ谷スタジオ | 事例のご紹介 | 野村不動産株式会社
http://www.nomura-re.co.jp/houjin/casestudies/01.html

They can always establish part of their staff necessary for those works on a temporary prefabricated building, like the one GAiNAX had near Higashi-Koganei station (Tōkyō-to Koganei-shi 梶野町 1丁目2−29 Japan) since the production of Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann commenced.
Well, they ended up staying there more than it was planned, anyway.

wonzo

Banned
Sankarea 00 (OVA 1)

I wonder if the bridge and those
gruesome flashbacks(?)
will make a reappearance in the show or if that stuff's gonna be saved for the second OVA as it seems allude to what happened to Chihiro's mother.

Eureka Seven AO 10
tumblr_m60ot8qYlk1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The week off was worth it. I think this has a great balance between a strong good main character (AO was impressive) as well as a compelling and cool antagonist. Its like Truth is just having so much fun with everyone and a good time. So awesome when they made his eyes do that and then smirk afterwards.

I enjoyed the entire first half or so focused on Ao.
the secrets are pretty dumb, lol, I chuckled when they stopped searching once he went into the tent. I was glad that Ao was able to get over his anxiety and distress quickly and lead everyone. Most characters in the past would have probably been unable to move on for a bit or need to actually be forced to do something by their peers, so this was an interesting route to take

Sankarea 11
tumblr_m60fd80JwO1qjkq44o1_500.gif

It was almost a pretty solid and good episode if they didnt have so many gratuitous shots in many scenes that just ruined the tone (what the camera would focus on for team Wanko as it would always pan upward from there in every scene, the scene behind her showing her outfit, or even just Bunny of the Dead being the outfit of choice in sentimental/powerful scenes). 50/50 on the episode I guess.

I still think it had one of the best parts of the anime
the fencing scene to Chihiro's stabbing and being temporarily immune to the pain
. I think this would have been an actual fitting end to the anime, so curious of what the remaining two episodes will cover.

sonicmj1

Washing the bad taste of Lupin disappointment out with goodness.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 20

Being a side character is suffering.

This deviated from the patterns from before because we could see how the Black Rose Council intentionally contrived
Wakaba's
emotional collapse for their own ends. She still has a lot of baggage at the end. I hope she finds happiness.

Revolutionary Girl Utena 21

And our final council member gets used here.

I would never have thought that
Nanami's posse
would become central to the plot of any episode, but there you have it. And it's good, because it once again exposes how Nanami is a terrible person who no one should like.

Himemiya's comments at the end of this episode seem strangely ominous. And the way her interactions with Akio have been suggest that there's more to being the Rose Bride than simply following the command of the one she is engaged to. Gives more reason why the Black Rose might want to install their own candidate.

I realize now that I still have no goddamn clue what Miki's stopwatch is for. Maybe it'd make sense if I paid close attention to it, but I don't want to.

Episode preview suggests that some answers might finally appear next episode. Looking forward to it.

Idolmaster 26!

Action!
EKUDo.jpg

Another excellent theatrical trailer.

:firehawk!
1ntcN.jpg

The sun on the horizon... the cherry blossoms in the wind... truly the passage of time makes all things more beautiful in their impermanence.

Hole... digging?
R4LdD.jpg

Don't worry, it begins and ends with this image.

This stands up with the best episodes in the series. It felt kind of nostalgic to spend a little more time with the 765 Pro crew. Idolmaster had really beat my expectations during its run, and I'd kind of forgotten how much I enjoyed it since it wasn't as emotionally intense or artistic as some other stuff from last year.

duckroll

http://geass.jp/akito/character.html

More Code Geass Akito the Exiled characters announced! This time we get more Britannian characters!

Archduke of Verance - Augusta Henry Highland

He is a proud noble who is the suzerain overseeing the Euro Britannia region.

eqGjC.jpg
VUSSp.jpg

Michele Manfredi (Kenta Miyake)

Leader of the St Michael Knight Order, one of the four great knight orders in Britannia.

nb356.jpg

Andrea Farnese (Takehito Koyasu)

Leader of the St Raphael Knight Order. Close friends with Michele.

AVPON.jpg
wiTrN.jpg

/XX/

https://twitter.com/hikaruufo/status/216156060728307716

Fate/Zero is complete for the TV broadcast! They've finished and delivered the final episode. Now they're hard at work on retakes and bonus material for the second BD-Box.
And we have now two preview images from that last episode:

6月23日(土)放送のTVアニメ『Fate/Zero』第25話「Fate/Zero」より先行カットが到着... | moca
http://moca-news.net/article/20120622/201206222116a/01/

This time without watermarks!

survivor

Banned
Mysterious Girlfriend X 10

My god Tsubaki, you are creepy.
Taking a strand of hair that fell from the girl and keeping it in a plastic capsule at your house? WTF

Also it still boggles my mind how everyone in the anime so willingly accepts the idea of sharing/receiving drool

Long hair Hayakawa >>>>>> short hair Hayakawa

duckroll

My friends, my comrades, the day has finally come!

In 24 hours, Fate/Zero finally comes to an end.

Episode 25 credits
Storyboard: Ei Aoki
Episode Direction: Ei Aoki, Kei Tsunematsu, Takuya Nonaka
Animation Direction: Tomonori Sudou, Atsushi Ikariya
Assistant Animation Direction: Miyuki Ishizuka

----

Also, for those interested, Nicovideo will also start live streaming as the Ufotable staff on Fate/Zero start drawing on the Production Sign Board (Ufotable's exclusive pre-order bonus for the second BD-Box) right after the series concludes on Tokyo MX (which is the same time the episode goes online for everyone outside Japan).

You can watch it here, or timeshift it so you can watch after the finale: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv96751999

----

Assassin is really excited about the finale, are you? :D

jbhkQIKXUAkY7a.jpg

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I decided to watch that Unlimited Blade Works film, since I've been writing high on Fate/Stay.

And it really is just terrible. Normally movies are rushed, but have more put into the design. Yet the design and details don't even come close to Zero's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom