• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Speaking of which, Kondo was recently speaking at an event at Tokushima with other industry guests, and he brought up Anime Bunko as a project which they will not be able to continue with because it is a financial failure. The sales were terrible. But he said that he hopes people who see it and are interested continue to pick it up if they can, and maybe eventually sales will add up. He said that if everyone in that room bought a copy of Minori Scramble, sales would jump up by about 150 instantly, and Aniplex might go "HUH?! WHAT HAPPENED??". Lol. :(

Honestly, one-off OVAs selling extremely badly does not surprise me in the slightest. I would have been shocked if they were a financial success.

duckroll

21 hours left until Fate/Zero ends!

Ryuunosuke seems pretty happy with this, are you? :D

ibub2l6eO9dyGU.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hermes: Winds of Love

This is pretty much the most tragic misallocation of animation production resources ever. What's even more tragic is that it could have gotten away with it as an overanimated greek hero tale, but eventually it makes it clear to the audience that, yes, this is a Happy Science work.

Branduil

Sankarea 11

It was almost a pretty solid and good episode if they didnt have so many gratuitous shots in many scenes that just ruined the tone (what the camera would focus on for team Wanko as it would always pan upward from there in every scene, the scene behind her showing her outfit, or even just Bunny of the Dead being the outfit of choice in sentimental/powerful scenes). 50/50 on the episode I guess.

It seems like that show really did turn out awful.

Gundam 00 aired in two 25 episodes seasons, but that was more of a split cour thing. Again it was pre-planned. I dunno if it makes sense to have a time slot change after 4 cours, because that would be like a planned demotion which makes no sense. Why would the TV station want to continue to co-produce the show indefinitely in this way? Usually shows which run on forever air on TV Tokyo and NTV (or their subsidiaries). I can't really think of a single TBS/MBS show which doesn't have a clear conclusion pre-planned when they start production. I don't think that's how their producers like to work.

Gintama changed timeslots after like 100 episodes I think.

duckroll

Gintama changed timeslots after like 100 episodes I think.

I think if somehow the station wants to keep running Magi, one option would be to do 4 cours ending at a specific point in the manga, show some other crap for a year, and then return with another 4 cours. Kinda like how the slot is basically known for Gundam, so they run a year of Gundam SEED, then run a year of FMA, then return with another year of SEED Destiny, then run other crap until Gundam 00 is ready, etc.

I think if somehow the station wants to keep running Magi, one option would be to do 4 cours ending at a specific point in the manga, show some other crap for a year, and then return with another 4 cours. Kinda like how the slot is basically known for Gundam, so they run a year of Gundam SEED, then run a year of FMA, then return with another year of SEED Destiny, then run other crap until Gundam 00 is ready, etc.

I'd be cool with that. Gintama approach is the best approach for pacing.

Jex

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 6

For all this shows excessive visual style it has real problems with visual coherence, flow and editing. Partially because each scene in a sequence might have a radically unique art style and partly because of weird pacing this show seems to have a real problem delivering a 'smooth' progression of images. It tends to feel janky.

duckroll

We'll probably learn about the staff of Magi next week, when Shounen Sunday leaks again. Considering how they're planning like 3 consecutive weeks of reveals on the anime details, I expect that this weekend the teaser trailer will either have very brief animation or no animation at all, and the official site will probably launch with just the artwork and announcement.

Depending on who the staff are for the show, I think it will be telling as to whether the series has the potential to run for a long time or not.

cajunator

Banned
[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 5

I always feel weird when I notice a show pandering to a very specific audience. It just feels so...clinical, as in they know that they have to appeal to this particular set of otaku and so they'll need a scene with, say, a cat girl in it.

It even feels weird in works that are already full of fanservice, like Ano Natsu. It like they have to tick every check box.

Exciting!

Cat girls are very important!

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 11

Well they wrapped up that little conflict very nicely.
Who knew that hugging Shadow Yuuko would do the trick? Oh and that revelation at the end was really surprising. Is the grandma's role different in the manga? It felt to me that she would play an opposition role before eventually helping them.
The anime's much different from the manga. First, they've redone the story; parts of it are a direct adaptation, but other parts, such as the last couple of episodes, are largely original. They've also cut a bunch of stuff that was in the manga, presumably for time.

That is, the manga hasn't yet reached the events of episodes 9-11. I don't know if it'll happen that way or not, whenever it gets there. Currently in the manga,
the grandmother is their opponent, pretty much. She can only see Shadow Yuuko, not the good Yuuko, and thinks Shadow Yuuko is the only Yuuko. She wants to tear down the old school building to rid herself of the ghost and stop their questions, and has scheduled it for demolition in a month. She won't talk much at all about what she knows about Yuuko, either, except to say that "there is no seventh mystery". And that's where the story is at the moment.
The anime's ending arc is a plausible conclusion, but we don't know if the manga will be quite the same.

I don't know what they plan to do for the next and final? episode. Unless of course they want to go over that thing shown after the ED but it doesn't look like a problem that can be resolved in one episode.
We'll see.

I'm vaguely seeing 2 floating hair balls. Is it a ghost?
Yeah, I think it's a ghost.

No, if you can accept the premise of such an academy, the show becomes a fairly competent harem. For being a butler, the main character is actually less wimpy than your typical harem MC and his reasons for helping the girls throughout the show make sense (because he's butler and it's his duty to help the girls). The drill chick's actions are also lent some credibility due to the setting. Being an upper-class lady and tsundere, it doesn't seem out of the ordinary for her to treat the MC with less respect, due to what happens between them in the first episode and because he's a butler. It's a fun show so far, I feel it's better than Haganai.
Huh. May try it again, may not.

Dead Leaves

That sure was something. So, this work is the from the same director of Gurren Lagann and Panty and Stocking? I guess I can see some similarities, especially from the director's latest work.
And that drill...

1stStrike

Banned
Today is a glorious day, for I have solved the problem which plagued me yesterday at work. And as such I may now revel in the glory that is anime with peace of mind this weekend.

seitokai8s0gnu.jpg

Jex

[Tsuritama] - 11

Everything in this show feels really earnt. All the character work that has been developed throughout the show has actually led up to something important and it doesn't feel like any of it was inserted 'simply to move the show forward'. It's an impressive feat for a short little show.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I know that the shows visuals and distinct colours have been discussed quite thoroughly already, but I still want to bring this up.

Perhaps an unappreciated aspect of the use of colour in this series is how is allows you to quickly differentiate the characters from other objects, objects from backgrounds and characters from backgrounds. Everything is extremely clear and the images don't become confusing to the eye, even when the camera is moving around in fairly complicated scenes, such as when characters are moving about on a boat, that's moving through the ocean, and the ocean is moving also moving against a background of clouds.

Everything is just so distinct and easy to pick out, nothing really fades into the background. I think that really shows how effective the use of colour can be to a series. It seems basic but it's something a number of shows seem to stumble over.

Tsuritama11.jpg

1stStrike

Banned
Sigh, unemployment has led me back into the downward spiral of watching anime all day and all night again...

I'm employed and I tend to do that anyway (at least the all night part). I need to get back to being productive, but with all the anime that I haven't watched recently I just needed to get caught up.

Sankarea 11

I wish they didn't abandon the
half zombie
plotline. It had the potential to be cool. Though it also could have turned this into a battle series, which it really doesn't need to be.

CatPee

Thanks for the warm welcomes...? Anyway, I'm in the process of getting myself out of a deceptive relationship, so recommend me romcoms with happy endings, anyone?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
+1

Ano Hana if you want to have a good hard cry. I'm talking snot running down your face and you don't even care.

That's not what he wants, though! Ano Hana certainly doesn't have a happy ending! :p For a great romcom with a happy ending, Toradora is one of the best. Ano Natsu is really good too, sadly I lost the waifu war in it so it wasn't a happy end for me :(, but I still recommend it.

Sakamichi no Apollon 11
If anything the music is still really great. Like really really great.
I'm not too keen about the drama or the story really, but I guess you just can't have great music all day.

That reminds me that, hopefully NISA ships that out next week so I can finally rewatch it all in one sitting to see if it makes it even more enjoyable and emotional then watching it weekly.

That's how I always prefer to watch my animes, but this one definitely benefits from it. I remember finishing the second to last ep and thinking my emotional state couldn't possibly be ready for the finale so soon. And it wasn't. And it made it that much better.

1stStrike

Banned
What's that anime where a chick gets run over by a car in episode 1 or 2? I can't recall the name of it, I just remember that she got smooshed and either died or was in a coma for a while after that. I recall it being a romantic type of anime with love interests and stuff, though I don't know if that's the actual side of things it'd fall under. It was fairly dramatic.

duckroll

An alert fan on 2ch has pointed out that the Shounen Sunday editor responsible for Magi is following both Koji Masunari (director) and Yoichi Kato (writer) on twitter. This might not really mean anything, or... it might.

BluWacky

What's that anime where a chick gets run over by a car in episode 1 or 2? I can't recall the name of it, I just remember that she got smooshed and either died or was in a coma for a while after that. I recall it being a romantic type of anime with love interests and stuff, though I don't know if that's the actual side of things it'd fall under. It was fairly dramatic.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts I think in the English release?)

Ugh. That shit was depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom