• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

EeFje.jpg

At that time when I gripped but a single red flower within my hand
I knew the pain of a thorn
As I gazed at the flowing blood I did not regret it even a little

The flower that bloomed profusely didn’t waver but quickly swallowed down everything
The truth is it understood even in its own heart the beginning of a fleeting end

“If I could do it all over again someday”
I wish to carry out my strongly felt wish
But even so that vividly coloured flower
will someday fade away with time…

The days when I was loved, the place I protected until the end
All of those memories have an irreplaceable light
But as I cross over time they will surely never happen again

My strong wish should be able to come true now
Yet the flower that knows the truth
always, always laughs atop my palm

Such fleeting emotions have long since scattered
But even so because I wish for it strongly, strongly
The vivid flower that bloomed on that hill alone doesn’t wither…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hItbzlD6QAU

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Certainly the most important thing in establishing any fictional world is internal coherency. At the same time, as a general rule I don't think that just because a narrative is set in a world that closely resembles our own means that we should judge it by the same rules with which we judge the "real world". A fictional setting can remain internally coherent even if it differs from how we experience our world in a few key areas; e.g., the film Magnolia.

(Note that these are general comments here, which are in no way meant to relate to Knight in the Area.)
I look at something like Forrest Gump, which wants you to believe it takes place in the real world - to the put that they digitally inserted Hanks into archival footage - but is clearly whimsical enough that you're able to recognize that the movie is still representing a fictional and idealized America. Certainly the film doesn't demand that you believe that Gump is actually an owner of Apple or that Elvis stole his dance moves or whatever.
I'm willing to suspend disbelief for a lot of crap - it comes standard as a fan of science fiction - but you can't push this stuff too far.

All Knight in the Area needs is someone to call them out on how insane everyone is being. All Kuroko needs is someone to point out how all these star players should be playing in the NBA instead of being stuck in some shitty Japanese high school basketball team (even the main character thinks Japan sucks at basketball!). That acknowledgement of how unreal the events are is probably enough to pacify my BS detector.

Why can't angels in fiction simply be angels? As an example, people often refer to C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia as an allegory when that is not the case: Aslan is not meant to represent Christ; he is meant to be Christ, imagined as he would appear to a different world.
Well, if Aslan was supposed to literally be Christ, he'd be a thirty year old man from Bethlehem...
I mean, Satan and God were actually Satan and God in Preacher. But that was actually about the failure of religion, so it actually made sense for those "characters" to be the actual representations of Satan and God.

I certainly don't intend to derail into a discussion for which this thread is not suited. My objection to your initial comment is simply that the automatic assumption that someone you disagree with must be irrational/unintelligent is not very conducive to sensible, thoughtful discussion.
I'm typically not "Bill Maher" about religion. Just... so much rage.

On a different note, I noticed that one of the characters in Junichi Sato's upcoming Honda-sponsored OVA One Off is going to be played by Yuu Kobayashi. I assume this will now be your most anticipated project?
It's one step away from the trifecta. If only Yoshida worked on the script... or Kobayashi became a character in Tamayura... then it'd be the best anime ever made.

---

Sorry Eureka AO, but Smile Precure did this shot better than you!
zrf1el.jpg

Also, what a janky episode. So many ideas and characterizations presented... but none of them done particularly well. Least of which is
Ao's PTSD-like breakdown.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Pedo + Oedipus = ToraDora ;P

I don't think the dudes in Nyarko or Toradora want to bang their moms? Unless I'm just missing the subtext.

It was really strange to run into the exact same shot only a few weeks after precure did it lol.
Especially when it doesn't really make sense in Eureka AO.
(It doesn't help that Smile Precure did it because they were trying to be funny either, since that was the first thing that came to my mind).

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's like with the basketball show. Don't try to get your audience to believe that your world is anything that resembles reality and then pull of wacky shit that makes people question the very rules of the universe that you are creating.

I have no problem accepting that characters in Saki have near magical powers (and in the case of one character, the actual ability to see into the future), because Saki doesn't want you to believe that any of that stuff can happen in reality. It's a cartoon world with cartoon rules.
Are you equally upset by hollywood physics? Complete distortions of how actual groups or agencies work? There are tons of "realistic" shit that lack any actual basis in reality even if magic isn't involved.

Despite being surrounded by Buddhists, the only thing I really know about the religion is the whole reincarnation thing. That's the only hook I have for the show that justifies the storyline because alternatively, it really is just Happy Science insanity.
You don't even know Happy Science insanity, sir.

Uchip

Banned
Are you equally upset by hollywood physics? Complete distortions of how actual groups or agencies work? There are tons of "realistic" shit that lack any actual basis in reality even if magic isn't involved.

Hollywood physics are bad, but theyre not nearly on the same level as anime

Bollywood, sure

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'll ask you to read my follow-up post because it might clarify my position on the issue. lol

You don't even know Happy Science insanity, sir.
I'm sure it's more internally consistent that what happens in either sports show. :p

I look at something like Forrest Gump, which wants you to believe it takes place in the real world - to the put that they digitally inserted Hanks into archival footage - but is clearly whimsical enough that you're able to recognize that the movie is still representing a fictional and idealized America. Certainly the film doesn't demand that you believe that Gump is actually an owner of Apple or that Elvis stole his dance moves or whatever.
I'm willing to suspend disbelief for a lot of crap - it comes standard as a fan of science fiction - but you can't push this stuff too far.

I suppose where I differ from you is that I don't believe that just because a story is set in something resembling present-day Earth means that the creators mean the audience to believe that the story actually happened/could have happened on present-day Earth. I doubt the mangaka of Kuroko believes that real basketball players have the abilities he's written into his characters.

All Knight in the Area needs is someone to call them out on how insane everyone is being. All Kuroko needs is someone to point out how all these star players should be playing in the NBA instead of being stuck in some shitty Japanese high school basketball team (even the main character thinks Japan sucks at basketball!). That acknowledgement of how unreal the events are is probably enough to pacify my BS detector.

So you're looking for a tsukkomi!

Well, if Aslan was supposed to literally be Christ, he'd be a thirty year old man from Bethlehem...

Orthodox Christianity believes that Christ has revealed himself in different forms at different times, so there's no contradiction in him being the carpenter Jesus of Nazareth in one world and the lion Aslan in another.

It's one step away from the trifecta. If only Yoshida worked on the script... or Kobayashi became a character in Tamayura... then it'd be the best anime ever made.

Maybe there'll be a crossover!

icecream

Public Health Threat
welcome back, icecream. We missed you.
Aitakatta yo~(?)

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 11So Mahiro is a pedo? That really explains everything that has happened so far
No! He was just being really tsun tsun with Nyaru-ko and now he'll realize how much he misses her and they can live happily ever after Saya no Uta style.

And the ISML 2012 special award for Round 2 goes to...

http://imgur.com/a/vB0WU
Wait a minute...

cajunator said:
the best character in Oreimo. Voiced by the best female VA in the business.

survivor said:
The queen from Oreimo
You guys seemed have mistyped or something... because there is only one true goddess:
28KpF.gif

1stStrike

Banned
俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない

Yeah, I looked it up briefly before I replied and it sounded dull which why I gave you a chance to sell me on it. I'm just going to skip it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You come off as a real stick in the mud here. The movie has to tell you it isn't real? Shouldn't you be able to figure that out on your own?

For example, Amadeus can easily be passed off as history when it actually is not. It remains a wonderful story and a great movie in spite of that.

Ippo has the exact same weight in every weigh-in ever. That's pretty damn bullshit.

cajunator

Banned

Yes. YES YOU DO.
Its CLAMP. Cute clamp is best clamp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rNtslHe0k

Aitakatta yo~(?)

No! He was just being really tsun tsun with Nyaru-ko and now he'll realize how much he misses her and they can live happily ever after Saya no Uta style.

Wait a minute...

You guys seemed have mistyped or something... because there is only one true goddess:
28KpF.gif

Maybe if Kirino turned down her bitchiness quotient below the highest setting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I suppose where I differ from you is that I don't believe that just because a story is set in something resembling present-day Earth means that the creators mean the audience to believe that the story actually happened/could have happened on present-day Earth. I doubt the mangaka of Kuroko believes that real basketball players have the abilities he's written into his characters.
Again, Forrest Gump is the perfect example of an otherwise real world with an unreal element that, at least for me, worked.
When I watch cop-shows in New York and all the characters are white, I'm willing to believe that in TV-land, minorities don't live or work in Manhattan. :p

So you're looking for a tsukkomi!
Well that's the thing. In Knight, at one point some character calls the doctor crazy for talking about the dead brother theory. In the first episode of Kuroko, the main character points out the fact that as a person who played basketball in America, he has an advantage over Japanese players. They go out of their way to establish that a) dead brothers don't come back through heart transplants and b) no one in America, where the best basketball players go to play, gives a shit about Japan. To violate those world-building rules is enough to make me stop believing in those rules altogether.

It's the world building equivalent of a character making a decision that's entirely inconsistent with their character as established previously.

Orthodox Christianity believes that Christ has revealed himself in different forms at different times, so there's no contradiction in him being the carpenter Jesus of Nazareth in one world and the lion Aslan in another.
Well, except one work is definitely a work of fiction. I'm assuming I can't just write a book, put Jesus in it, and say that my book is representative of what Jesus actually did in reality. (Well, I guess the Mormons did it, but still :p)

Maybe there'll be a crossover!
I'd Kickstart it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You come off as a real stick in the mud here. The movie has to tell you it isn't real? Shouldn't you be able to figure that out on your own?

For example, Amadeus can easily be passed off as history when it actually is not. It remains a wonderful story and a great movie in spite of that.
Don't establish a set of rules for your world only to violate them for the sake of plot. Unless you're doing it on purpose for comedic purposes (aka, every episode of Community).

Ippo has the exact same weight in every weigh-in ever. That's pretty damn bullshit.
Knowing nothing about the show or boxing, I can't really respond. lol

---

Sankarea 11
I will say, I was almost happy when Ranko
got out of the friendzone
only for her to go back into it. I hope she gets what she deserves. :p

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Don't establish a set of rules for your world only to violate them for the sake of plot. Unless you're doing it on purpose for comedic purposes (aka, every episode of Community).
Untrustworthy worldbuilding actually isn't uncommon. Take Evangelion, for example.

Uchip

Banned
Untrustworthy worldbuilding actually isn't uncommon. Take Evangelion, for example.

99.99% of anime doesn't give a shit about suspension of disbelief
all of a sudden BOOM, superdeformed heads right in the middle of a super serious scene
thats why ghost in the shell was so great!

You know, I get the impression that the market is the same size as in America. The difference is that buying one single 24-32 page comic here is the same as buying one of those giant magazine anthologies over there. :p

The manga industry in Japan is EXPONENTIALLY bigger than the comic book industry in America.

Well that's the thing. In Knight, at one point some character calls the doctor crazy for talking about the dead brother theory. In the first episode of Kuroko, the main character points out the fact that as a person who played basketball in America, he has an advantage over Japanese players. They go out of their way to establish that a) dead brothers don't come back through heart transplants and b) no one in America, where the best basketball players go to play, gives a shit about Japan. To violate those world-building rules is enough to make me stop believing in those rules altogether.

It's the world building equivalent of a character making a decision that's entirely inconsistent with their character as established previously.

Knight in the Area certainly seems to have issues with consistency. Kuroko doesn't seem as problematic, but without having seen it myself I can't really proceed further along this line of dicsussion.

Well, except one work is definitely a work of fiction. I'm assuming I can't just write a book, put Jesus in it, and say that my book is representative of what Jesus actually did in reality. (Well, I guess the Mormons did it, but still :p)

Narnia is a "What if?" scenario, imagining what it would be like it if this other world existed and Christ made himself known there. This is different from a true allegory like Pilgrim's Progress, in which everything is one-to-one symbolism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom