• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

That's a pretty good resume.

Idom@ster certainly looked pretty great.

The only time I've ever seen the Colour Designer's role mentioned was on a documentary included with the Ponyo DVD. In that they briefly interviewed a women who worked at Studio Ghibli (obviously) and discussed what her role was. I must confess, until that point I hadn't even considered how works ended with the colours that they did and how much work went into that role. Well, I suppose when it's not something like animation/storyboarding/direction/character design/background art you don't tend to think about it as a role.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, I suppose when it's not something like animation/storyboarding/direction/character design/background art you don't tend to think about it as a role.
For you maybe! I've noticed color design for quite a while. It's important.

Also, anime has pretty good color design on average. Much much better than color design in American cartoons.

Jex

It's hard for me to really articulate what makes Excel Saga work. Even your post, which is as succinct a summary as we can get, really doesn't do the show justice at all.

Of course, even then, it's not for everyone.

It's quite simple to explain Excel Saga, all you have to do is show them episode one. That will tell them (nearly) everything they need to know about the show.

Jintor

I never really 'got' Excel Saga, but I never actually tried to sit down and watch it 'properly'. So I might give that a shot in... *checks backlog*... three years or something.

Branduil

For you maybe! I've noticed color design for quite a while. It's important.

Also, anime has pretty good color design on average. Much much better than color design in American cartoons.

I don't know if I can agree with that, or even judge it properly. Anime has lots of good color design, but also lots of terrible design with garish, thoughtlessly applied colors.

Jex

I never really 'got' Excel Saga, but I never actually tried to sit down and watch it 'properly'. So I might give that a shot in... *checks backlog*... three years or something.

There's not too much to 'get', after all, the show isn't for anyone. Especially it's constant references to stuff from the 70's/80's!

jman2050

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Hmm. Well, I knew from reading about it and the fact that it was 108 minutes long, but this movie certainly wasn't designed for FSN newbies. Hell, not even casual FSN fans, they probably forgot the 80% of the story this movie left out.

At least the animation was fluid and I liked the detail in some scenes. And it had copious amounts of Rin, not that DEEN could screw that up even if they tried!

Soma

Then you can watch the awesome sequel Fate/Stay Night produced by Studio Deen!

QxVpG.jpg

Jex

Some would say that posting in this thread does that.

Or having an anime avatar.

Well, it's possible to ostracised from a smaller group than simply the whole forum. Of course, you had to say something pretty bad for that to happen, possibly involving your theoretical Daugherty.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I don't know if I can agree with that, or even judge it properly. Anime has lots of good color design, but also lots of terrible design with garish, thoughtlessly applied colors.
On average.

The color design in American animation is terrible. There seems to be about three different stock color schemes and they all look disgusting.

Jex

[Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon] 6 - 9

Okay, this show is good now. Or at least, it's bearable. As bearable as any live action Sailor Moon produced with the budget and expertise of a live-action television series is going to be, anyway. It's fun!

Branduil

On average.

The color design in American animation is terrible. There seems to be about three different stock color schemes and they all look disgusting.

Well, I don't know how you can "average" an entire industry. Like, what is the "average" between Ponyo and Angel Beats? I don't know how to quantify that.

I think American animation tends to be more "safe" than anime, which can lead to it being boring. It's more homogenized and less experimental, but I don't really know how to compare "averages" of an entire industry.

Jex

Wasn't there only one episode of it due to just how relatively expensive the production was?

Or rather, how lengthy the production time was. As if they were ever going to get to two episodes while keeping Urushihara's designs intact. They're really not suitable for animation in the AT ALL.

cajunator

Banned
[Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon] 6 - 9

Okay, this show is good now. Or at least, it's bearable. As bearable as any live action Sailor Moon produced with the budget and expertise of a live-action television series is going to be, anyway. It's fun!

there you go.
Now you're gettin the hang of this.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Well, I don't know how you can "average" an entire industry. Like, what is the "average" between Ponyo and Angel Beats? I don't know how to quantify that.

I think American animation tends to be more "safe" than anime, which can lead to it being boring. It's more homogenized and less experimental, but I don't really know how to compare "averages" of an entire industry.
Well with American animation there's no need for an average, because pretty much all of it is bad in the color department. Read some of John K's stuff about color in cartoons.

As for the rest of the stuff in your post: no

Jex

Dead Bros in the Area

Fuck this show. I really do want to give it the benefit of the doubt... like maybe this is some Buddhist/Shinto allegory and that it's the Japanese equivalent of a shitty episode of Touched by an Angel or some other BS Christian allegory thing that's a dime a dozen on American TV, but holy christ.

The fact that the manga is an on-going concern leads me to believe that Japanese readers think this is perfectly normal and fine, so maybe this is like one of those Happy Science things and people just believe in dead brothers taking over people's bodies.

God, I hope the anime is done soon so I can put this to bed and pretend it was the Adachi-like show that it should have been. Or maybe I'll just pretend the show was about Seven playing women's soccer and that all the other stuff didn't exist.

You know, you do have the freedom to stop watching shows that you don't like! We all do. But so few of us seems to want to exercise that freedom.

Jex

So I'm ploughing through my FMA boxset (of manga) and it's just... really goddamn good. Seriously.

I wish Arakawa hadn't revealed he was a full-fledged homonculus nearly straight off the bat. Would've leant more tension to a whole bunch of the proceedings, not being sure whose side the Fuhrer was on, etc. I know it might have screwed up some stuff like the "Ultimate Eye" reveal and whatever, but I think you could probably have gotten away with a whole bunch of things without directly revealing his identity until way later.

That's a really good that I hadn't considered, actually.
The story could probably have got a lot mileage and tension out of his character if no-one really knew what his motivations were. Alas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom