• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
99.99% of anime doesn't give a shit about suspension of disbelief
all of a sudden BOOM, superdeformed heads right in the middle of a super serious scene
thats why ghost in the shell was so great!
I have no idea the point you are trying to make with this sentence.

1stStrike

Banned
noein6168sm.jpg

Dem creepy eyes. Not sure if like.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Narnia is a "What if?" scenario, imagining what it would be like it if this other world existed and Christ made himself known there. This is different from a true allegory like Pilgrim's Progress, in which everything is one-to-one symbolism.
I suppose I'm lost here, because Narnia is still basically made up regardless of whether or not Lewis wanted Aslan to literally be the son of the Christian God in that universe.

Defuser

Setting that potshot against Hanazawa aside, that makes me wonder: which voice actor/actress do you all think has most impressive range and voice variety in their roles?

Female

Miyuki Sawashiro
Eri Kitamura
Yoko Hikasa
Nana Mizuki
Yuka Iguchi
Ami Koshimizu
Tomatsu Haruka
Aki Toyosaki
Yui Hori
Hana Kanazawa
Yu Kobayashi
Minato Kotobuki
Kayano Ai
Marina Inoue
Satomi Satou
Rina Satou

Male
Tomokazu Sugita
Daisuke Ono
Miyano Mamoru
Tomokazu Seki
Takahiro Sakurai
Jun Fukuyama
Hiroyuki Yoshino
Miyu Irino
Juichi Suwabe
Kenichi Suzumura
Satoshi Hino

Can't voice act for shit
Chiaki Omigawa

Ami Koshimizu & Tomatsu Haruka usually caught me off guard because sometimes I can't tell their distinctive tones in their voice.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Polar Bears also inexplicably appear on a tropical island on Lost. That's not really the same thing in my mind.
Lost also has a problem of being made up as it went along.

At any rate, I can see why you are so bothered by Oniisama e now. Still, what's the fun in fiction if everything must be either completely like or completely unlike non-fiction? If an author wants spirits and ghosts in their story, more power to them I say. I don't confuse that with how I feel about the actual world here.

cajunator

Banned
Female

Miyuki Sawashiro
Eri Kitamura
Yoko Hikasa
Nana Mizuki
Yuka Iguchi
Ami Koshimizu
Tomatsu Haruka
Aki Toyosaki
Yui Hori
Hana Kanazawa
Yu Kobayashi
Minato Kotobuki
Kayano Ai
Marina Inoue
Satomi Satou
Rina Satou

Male
Tomokazu Sugita
Daisuke Ono
Miyano Mamoru
Tomokazu Seki
Takahiro Sakurai
Jun Fukuyama
Hiroyuki Yoshino
Miyu Irino
Juichi Suwabe
Kenichi Suzumura
Satoshi Hino

Can't voice act for shit
Chiaki Omigawa

Youre wrong and stuff, especially about Chiaki Omigawa, but what is your opinion on Haruko Momoi?

wonzo

Banned
Sankarea 11

Goddamnit, any of the emotional impacts of not only what happened but everything that's been building up to this in the past few episodes has been completely and utterly destroyed thanks to the incredibly shitty tonal shifts throughout this entire episode. To think that the last few episodes have actually been pretty good only for this monumental turd to drop. Maybe this show'll end up redeeming itself in some capacity with the last two episodes but I wouldn't bet anything on it. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Accel World 11
DEYUA.jpg

This was actually a well built up action sequence that really came though on delivering something entertaining, even if it somewhat falls prey to convoluted nonsense to get there. These bigger battles with fewer restrictions and raised stakes give more freedom to interesting things happening.

Articalys

reD1u.jpg

Heat will shimmer across the far distance of the endlessly continuing horizon
Until the day I reach it

What is left in my hands is a strong bond and an emblem of a promise
Crossing over time and space they still remain unfading

Ride On The Storm
Let’s go together and kick up a sand storm
Keep Your Faith On
Until we reach the farthest ends of the land

A hot dry wind blows by wrapping itself around my body
Rising sun
The journey begins with the dawn

The dream of long ago that drove me on
When I close my eyes it’s in my hands
Crossing over the eras it still remains unfading

Reason To Be
Stand up with those feelings in your heart
Far Across The Land
Someday they’ll resound to the blue sky that we dreamed of

The dream that we promised to one another at that time and on that day may not have a shape
I’ll aim across the horizon with my heart sworn companions

Ride On The Storm
Let’s go together and kick up a sand storm
Keep Your Faith On
Until we reach the farthest ends of the land

End Of The Earth...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeD1ZOrIIY

Defuser

Youre wrong and stuff, especially about Chiaki Omigawa, but what is your opinion on Haruko Momoi?
Care to enlighten me which of my choices are wrong?

Chiaki Omigawa = Steven Segal.

As for Haruko Momoi, unfortunately I don't watch much shows involving her so I can't form my opinion.

Hidamari Sketch Special 1

This episode showed that the principal is secretly the best character. He's surprisingly badass. Of course, it helps when you've got Genichirou Abe animating you.

Oh, and there were also swimsuits and stuff, like a proper special.

Jex

Sankarea 11

Goddamnit, any of the emotional impacts of not only what happened but everything that's been building up to this in the past few episodes has been completely and utterly destroyed thanks to the incredibly shitty tonal shifts throughout this entire episode. To think that the last few episodes have actually been pretty good only for this monumental turd to drop. Maybe this show'll end up redeeming itself in some capacity with the last two episodes but I wouldn't bet anything on it. :(

You watched the show this fa so you only have yourself to blame.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Lost also has a problem of being made up as it went along.

At any rate, I can see why you are so bothered by Oniisama e now. Still, what's the fun in fiction if everything must be either completely like or completely unlike non-fiction? If an author wants spirits and ghosts in their story, more power to them I say. I don't confuse that with how I feel about the actual world here.
I feel like we're not on the same page any more. lol

I don't really have a problem with Oniisama beyond the ardent melodrama (which I feel is a different problem related to cultural customs) and the faux-
lesbianism
. Looking at Aim wo Nerae, which arguably has the same melodrama and dramatic beats (not to mention reality bending tennis moves - tatsumaki serve!), that show never loses me despite all the craziness that happens in the show. Even the coach's motivations for choosing Oka in the first place, while ridiculous, still make some kind of internal sense.
(Of course, I haven't watched Oniisama in a while, so unfortunately I don't remember specifically why it bugged me at times)

I'm not asking for verisimilitude in my fiction. I'm saying that if someone wants me to assume that the rules of the real world apply to their fictional world, then they have to obey the rules of the real world. If you create a world where even a Japanese main character thinks Japanese basketball players are trash, only to then tell me that there are five Japanese LeBron Jameses slumming it in the local high school tournament, then you're asking me to think about your world more than you want me to.

It's like... Stargate SG-1. The premise of the show, and what made it different, was that these characters existed in late 90s America and were limited by our current knowledge and technology. They used P90s and C4 and not laser guns because that's the limit of our technology. At some point, they establish that the military discovers technology that allows them to build starships and all the other scifi junk that goes with that technological development. The problem is that events of the real world are still happening in this fictional universe - so in Stargate land, 9-11 happened, Afghanistan happened and Iraq happened and so on.

That means this show is asking me to believe that the US government had giant starships in orbit and willingly let terrorists fly planes into buildings and thousands of American soldiers and innocent civilians die in the subsequent wars simply because they refused to reveal the existence of alien technology.

Now, that might have actually been a fine story point to make - except the producers never actually gave it any thought. So all I'm left with is the thought that every single person in the Stargate universe is a horrible human being that is perfectly willing to let people suffer just so they can have stupid space adventures.

That was silly and long-winded (and meaningless if you've never seen Stargate, I suppose), but the point is that I shouldn't have to perform mental gymnastics to justify the motivations and actions of the characters in your piece of fiction. Don't tell me your show is set in the real world and then ignore 9-11. If you want to ignore 9-11, then just establish that 9-11 never happened (as in the "alternate universe" of Fringe).

Setting that potshot against Hanazawa aside, that makes me wonder: which voice actors/actresses do you all think have the most impressive range and voice variety in their roles?
Kobayashi. The fact that she can play sultry sex-crazed teacher or genki soccer-playing boy and everything in between basically shows you what she's capable of.

Er, I don't disagree. All I'm trying to do is use Narnia as an example of what is and isn't allegory.
I wonder if this is a case of the religious definition and the literary definition of allegory being at odds here.

Jex

I suppose I'm lost here, because Narnia is still basically made up regardless of whether or not Lewis wanted Aslan to literally be the son of the Christian God in that universe.

Randomly opening the thread on this page and reading this comment has left me rather confused.

Jex

I'm gonna watch it, but I don't even care. I love the visual flare of the show, but the story is so bland and predicable (even without knowing anything about the Fate universe or Fate/SN). Almost every character or encounter has been boring or at the very least at test of patience, with the exception or Kiritsugu shooting stuff, and Kirei being pious piety. Show should have been 12 episodes because none of that other stuff that happened so far even mattered. It sucks because I actually want to like it - but I can't. It's uninteresting... there's like no depth man, it just tries to be deep.

*shoots self in foot in front of AniGaf*

Why do you have to lie? Your lies hurt kittens.

Branduil

Actually I have the opposite problem. Too many characters, and I don't want to spam every hour. Plus, I'm going to sleep soon. :( #firstworldproblems

Your posts almost seem like some kind of bizarre banner advertisements that ended up in posts. Of course most of us here are watching the show already so I don't know how effective it will be. You should try posting those in random threads.

Jex

I think I understand some of the comments about the anime looking different/weird/bad in some places. It'll take a little getting used to, but I don't think it's bad so far. Story seems to be off to a good start, though, and overall I do like the visuals. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

P.S.
Yuu's mom is a bitch.

I liked the eyes and it was like 20 seconds into the first episode so I just took a pic.
One of my major problems with the show is the script itself, but that doesn't really come up in the first episode.

Jex

It's interesting looking at these screencaps because I haven't seen that far in Tsuritama yet and I actually feel something almost "opposite" to your opinion based on what I've seen (only the first couple of episodes).

From the very first trailer the colours have "confused" me slightly in that the backgrounds are painted with what I think of as "character art" colours. It's like I'm expecting the whole thing to move at any given time, like in the excellent OP to Welcome to the NHK.

I agree that everything is very bright, but it also creates a very homogenous style in a slightly negative sense - for my tastes there's not enough contrast, to be honest. It's like the whole show is one big, bright, perky thing - and although that's admirable, I'm not sure it's necessarily my cup of tea. That partly extends to the characters, although having not watched enough of the show I don't think I can assess those fairly.

It doesn't actually end up like that in the show though, largely because certain colours (for instance Yuki's red hair) are pretty much only associated with him. They must have had a skilled colour technician (I've forgotten what the official title for this role is) working all this out beforehand because it's very easy to get that wrong.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka ? of the Dead 08

For the most part I really did enjoy the first 7 episodes of this season. The show is humorous and the characters are generally likable in this season as they pretty much removed all the nauseating angst from the first season and made it much lighter in tone and thankfully lighter in content. The show is at its best (which really isn't a very high peak) when it's light hearted harem slice-of-life hijinx.

But this episode might have been the worst episode out of both seasons. And the instigator is not surprising,
Kyouko
is such a horrifically awful character that she literally drags everybody else around her into becoming total idiots. Aikawa putting all his friends in danger by introducing them to
a god damn serial killer, one who killed him to start the show
is so ridiculous and that was just the tip of the iceberg with everything wrong with this episode. Thankfully the developments at the end of the episode give me some hope. Not much though.

Jex

Remember that Manga is pretty much an accepted part of pop culture in Japan, while anime is still very much a niche, nerdy thing.

Or, rather more importantly, remember that theoretically one guy can make a manga with some rather basic equipment where as anime requires a large team if you want to get anything made quickly.
And of course, any one with a pencil and paper can make a manga, the entry bar is really low.

Oh wait, you're way ahead of me.

Jex

Excel Saga is exhausting but a lot of fun. Episode 26 is the culmination of it when they said fuck it and just went all out.

Excel Saga is simply to watch because of it's extremely frenetic pacing and constant barrage of quick-fire jokes and sequences. Watching more than a couple of episodes in one sitting might actually be a bit too much to handle.

Jex

Theoretically an infinite number of manga are published in an infinite number of universes.

Judging by the variety and diversity and weirdness of the manga that I've read, I feel like we don't even need an infinite number of universes. Everything under the sun seems to be published here.

Jex

Plastic Little

This total stranger can't possibly be this busty. I'm not sure what I watched, but it was fun. Something about Pet hunters and gravity belts and ambiguous evil government, I'm not really sure. I'm still trying to understand what the plot was about, but who cares, it looked cool! Oh and the action scenes were good too.

UDwmW.png

Hmm, I wonder if the guy who did the creased bed sheet in that shot worked on the creased bed sheet in the Utena movie! You rarely see such attention paid to creases.

It doesn't actually end up like that in the show though, largely because certain colours (for instance Yuki's red hair) are pretty much only associated with him. They must have had a skilled colour technician (I've forgotten what the official title for this role is) working all this out beforehand because it's very easy to get that wrong.

"Color Design" is usually how I've seen it translated. (It's "色彩設計" in Japanese.) Which in Tsuritama's case would be this person.

jman2050

Excel Saga is simply to watch because of it's extremely frenetic pacing and constant barrage of quick-fire jokes and sequences. Watching more than a couple of episodes in one sitting might actually be a bit too much to handle.

It's hard for me to really articulate what makes Excel Saga work. Even your post, which is as succinct a summary as we can get, really doesn't do the show justice at all.

Of course, even then, it's not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom