• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
lvYdj.png

Finally.

1stStrike

Banned
Well, when you get that high, the actual number doesn't really matter. lol

Naruto and One Piece will be around for my grandchildren at the rate they're going so yeah.

"Grandpa, Grandpa, the new Naruto DVD comes out this week!"

Though, I suppose some new technology will be out by then so instead of DVD it'll be like... holographic projectors or some shit. "Now beam your anime directly into your frontal lobe!"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Naruto and One Piece will be around for my grandchildren at the rate they're going so yeah.

"Grandpa, Grandpa, the new Naruto DVD comes out this week!"

Though, I suppose some new technology will be out by then so instead of DVD it'll be like... holographic projectors or some shit. "Now beam your anime directly into your frontal lobe!"
Shounen still only appears on DVD in Japan... unless they appear on BD but the discs sell so poorly that they don't chart.
I can't imagine who would be crazy enough to collect those episodes on disc like that though. It'd be like collecting DVD copies of a soap opera.

1stStrike

Banned
Shounen still only appears on DVD in Japan... unless they appear on BD but the discs sell so poorly that they don't chart.
I can't imagine who would be crazy enough to collect those episodes on disc like that though. It'd be like collecting DVD copies of a soap opera.

Hmm, yeah I wonder...

30 or so dollars for every 12 or so episodes is adding up fast, but its so worth it.

Oh, looks like we have a winner :D

Do you rewatch it? I'm judging from your other posts that you do rewatch a lot of anime but that's a lot of discs to own that never get played.

Ive rewatched part one of Naruto (chunin exam to end) eight times, and part of Shippuden at least to where viz is currently at (12 of the single disc sets and six of the volume sets, 126 eps), three times...and for Bleach Im currently on my third rewatch of the dub to where viz is currently at too (13 sets, 205 eps).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! 1

Sousuke was a bit annoying at the beginning, but the sheer ridiculousness of it all carried the episode through. It's weird seeing the old, bad Kyoani character designs. Post K-on Kyoani character designs are all so much better.

1stStrike

Banned
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu! 1

Sousuke was a bit annoying at the beginning, but the sheer ridiculousness of it all carried the episode through. It's weird seeing the old, bad Kyoani character designs. Post K-on Kyoani character designs are all so much better.

Ah, Fumoffu. That's one of my favorites if it wasn't already obvious.

Fumo? Fumo fumo!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If I'm reading the description right, I think it's 20 episodes

I should clarify than this is for the Log Collections. The up to date releases have 4 episodes
4 episodes per DVD is still rough. I wonder what a Japanese shounen nerd room looks like... just a wall of hundreds of DVDs for each long running shounen series that they collect.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Thinking about the end of the episode, it might have been funnier if
he was actually completely serious about stringing up the little kid.

Steroyd

Fate Zero - END

Hell yeah!

Kuroko's Basketball - 12

Hells yeah!! Is it next week yet?

Eureka Seven AO - 10

Fucking Truth, I don't understand which direction on where the show is heading, it's just plodding along with no purpose so far, while bringing in various plot elements which also go nowhere.

you'd have to pay me to watch Naruto again

But the feelings of nostalgia and seeing all of the squads in action is definitely worth it. And surely one enjoys seeing Sasuke and Naruto on the same team, having fun as rivals and supporting each other, or reliving some of the best filler arcs and funniest episodes, still, to date in Naruto?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some dudes that are really powerful and played a role in the War of Independence. They allow members to self-govern themselves.

They might have a fully armed and operational battlestation.
But, where are they? :p
I mean, their explanation makes it sound like they just popped out of nowhere to stop the war, but there's no sense of where they actually are. I mean, are they in Galactic Empire space? Or are they outside and are essentially the Puerto Rico/Guam of this universe?

It makes me wonder how much they thought about any of this stuff. :p

4 episodes per DVD is still rough. I wonder what a Japanese shounen nerd room looks like... just a wall of hundreds of DVDs for each long running shounen series that they collect.

I don't think many people collect super-long-running shounen series. Except for Gintama.

[Fumoffu]

Thinking about the end of the episode, it might have been funnier if
he was actually completely serious about stringing up the little kid.

That would cross the line and make Sousuke too unsympathetic, methinks.

Uchip

Banned
But the feelings of nostalgia and seeing all of the squads in action is definitely worth it. And surely one enjoys seeing Sasuke and Naruto on the same team, having fun as rivals and supporting each other, or reliving some of the best filler arcs and funniest episodes, still, to date in Naruto?

any nostalgia is completely nullified simply because they flash back to every early scene about 30 times
its almost like I was forced to rewatch parts of it that many times, so yeah, youd have to pay me

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu 23
About time for Kyon to snap only to revert back to his remark to himself self. Sigh.
God, why are they dragging this out so long. I already seen the end result, I just want to get there so this stupid arc can be over.

survivor

Banned

Well, if DTL doesn't mind, he should post what his collection looks like. Shouldn't be that different from Japanese shounenbros.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't think many people collect super-long-running shounen series. Except for Gintama.

[Fumoffu]

That would cross the line and make Sousuke too unsympathetic, methinks.

Well,
it's not like surrounding a kid with explosives and dangling him high up garners much sympathy in the first place. all it needs is one piece of shrapnel... and he wasn't portrayed as a sympathetic character in the first place, I mean, the poor girl who confessed to him... :p I think it could have been pulled off it was done completely deadpan, like most of Sousuke's statements are... oh well, it's really only a minor thought.

Someone needs to support the Strawhat!

Compare the amount the OP manga sells compared to Gintama's manga, and the dvd sales, a lot more people proportionately buy the Gintama DVD's.

Makoto

But, where are they? :p
I mean, their explanation makes it sound like they just popped out of nowhere to stop the war, but there's no sense of where they actually are. I mean, are they in Galactic Empire space? Or are they outside and are essentially the Puerto Rico/Guam of this universe?

It makes me wonder how much they thought about any of this stuff. :p
/shrug

Your guess is as good as mine. :p

At this point, we know more about the princess' homeworld than we do the Galactic Empire.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well,
it's not like surrounding a kid with explosives and dangling him high up garners much sympathy in the first place. all it needs is one piece of shrapnel... and he wasn't portrayed as a sympathetic character in the first place, I mean, the poor girl who confessed to him... :p I think it could have been pulled off it was done completely deadpan, like most of Sousuke's statements are... oh well, it's really only a minor thought.

Compare the amount the OP manga sells compared to Gintama's manga, and the dvd sales, a lot more people proportionately buy the Gintama DVD's.
Gomu gomu cry.

/shrug

Your guess is as good as mine. :p

At this point, we know more about the princess' homeworld than we do the Galactic Empire.
Ugh. If only they got rid of some of the dumber episodes and spent some time world building, then maybe some of this stuff would make some sense. lol

Well, if DTL doesn't mind, he should post what his collection looks like. Shouldn't be that different from Japanese shounenbros.
It's funny, because the picture of Japanese rooms that we usually see is full of moe moe kyun goods of waifus and so forth.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gomu gomu cry.

Ugh. If only they got rid of some of the dumber episodes and spent some time world building, then maybe some of this stuff would make some sense. lol

It's funny, because the picture of Japanese rooms that we usually see is full of moe moe kyun goods of waifus and so forth.

Remember that the final arc is anime original. The entire 5 episode first arc was all worldbuilding! :p The novel-adapted parts did do worldbuilding well, I think. Final arc is sacrificing that for more ADVENTURE! :)

perhaps you missed the intro where they explain how sousuke grew up

You mean the 5 second line inserted into the joke intro where he gets reported for blowing half the school up and the principal is being bribed to let it go? Yeah, that really got some sympathy!

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko No Basket 12

We find out
Kagami special move is jumping. So Kuroko is misdirection passing, Kise is a copy cat and Midorima is shooting. Can't wait to see the other 3 miracle players skills
Really like the music cues. They seem to be at the right time of the game. Next week should be a great conclusion to the game.

cajunator

Banned
My room looks fairly different now.
Ill post some updated stuff when I get off work.
I like how its working out and now I have enough space to give every anime disc a place to stay.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Remember that the final arc is anime original. The entire 5 episode first arc was all worldbuilding! :p The novel-adapted parts did do worldbuilding well, I think. Final arc is sacrificing that for more ADVENTURE! :)
Wait, this is based on a novel series? Jeez. lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Huh, pretty cool. I'm guessing there's also a reasonable amount of episodes on each dvd if it's going by seasons.

I really wonder what leads to gintama having such good sales compared to other long running shounen. (apart from the fact it's only the best anime comedy ever). I think someone mentioned the last time this came up that it was a lot more fujoshi friendly then the average shounen, and they buy more DVDs?

Huh, pretty cool. I'm guessing there's also a reasonable amount of episodes on each dvd if it's going by seasons.

Each DVD has 4 episodes.

I really wonder what leads to gintama having such good sales compared to other long running shounen. (apart from the fact it's only the best anime comedy ever). I think someone mentioned the last time this came up that it was a lot more fujoshi friendly then the average shounen, and they buy more DVDs?

Yes, it's the fujoshi factor. You may have noticed that Gintama occasionally makes jokes about that, such as a fake DVD cover featuring Gintoki and Hijikata in suggestive poses.

Naruto is pretty damn fujoshi friendly. As was Reborn, but that finished a while ago.

Each DVD has 4 episodes.

Ah, well nevermind then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom