• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Grzi, curious question, where did you find the time to watch so much anime?

How much really? I don't actually think I've seen that much stuff, considering I've been actively watching anime for more than 10 years. And I had a lot of time to watch it in high school, especially when I took a year off before college.
But really, a lot of my MAL list is comprised of OVAs, movies and shorts, I've finished 285 TV shows and I think there's people on GAF who've seen more than that.

Just avoid the second series.
And avoid the manga too.

Gunslinger Girls season 1 is an extremely well made, classy production. Not convinced? Just check out this trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB1MeTAsTks

I hear nothing but bad things about the sequel though.
It's one of those cases where they made an anime that's way better than the source material. Season two devolves and is much closer to the manga's level, which is nowhere remotely near season one. On the one hand that's too bad, but on the other hand, at least we got one great season of this show, and yes, it really is great.

More Idolmaster anime on the way!

http://www.4gamer.net/games/171/G017161/20120624001/

The TV anime staff are working on new animated episodes of Idolmaster for the release of the new PSP game. The PSP game is being released in 3 different versions, and each version will have a different episode included with the package. Each episode is a full length 23 minute episode, they're basically working on 3 OVAs to help push the sales of the PSP title.

Trailer footage: http://t.co/zv2QYRqS
So they're trying to boost sales by getting fans to buy all three versions of the game? Clever, clever...

survivor

Banned
How much really? I don't actually think I've seen that much stuff, considering I've been actively watching anime for more than 10 years. And I had a lot of time to watch it in high school, especially when I took a year off before college.
But really, a lot of my MAL list is comprised of OVAs, movies and shorts, I've finished 285 TV shows and I think there's people on GAF who've seen more than that.

God damn

I only got 154 finished and that's for TV shows and movies.

1stStrike

Banned
I regret not keeping track of what I've watched. Even if I went back at this point and tried to create a list I probably wouldn't be able to remember everything I've seen to make it accurate.

Jex

[Mysterious Girlfriend X] - 11

MGX11.png

Further proof, is proof were needed, that Oka is the best girl. I like to pretend that she's the protagonist of the series. Heck, she even keeps a picture of Oka's naked body with her just because.

Ultimadrago

Man, that's quite a bundle of shows in my eyes!
But yeah, there's always someone out that has always done more.

Ten years, man. I think I've been active for perhaps half that time, if even.

If it wasn't obvious in hisoka previous fights,
Gon doesn't have special attacks (yet ) ..His training was basic nen knowledge and stat raising .. Doing spectacular things with your aura is "hatsu" and gon is not even there yet .
His training instructor only made him increase his aura son that his hatsu becomes stronger .. nothing more .. Stats raising .. Special skills will be for later
That's also one of the reasons hisoka only "toyed with him" during this fight he is just checking that gon has indeed the potential to be even better so he can destroy him later ..

You'll understand in the Arc after the one that will start next week...

It's also why hisoa want a Gon fight all out when he'll be even stronger without rules ...
If Gon was "just" punches, hisoka would have killed him easily just like he killed castro.

Also hisoka is ...well hisoka ... you'll understand eventually ..

I do like that Hisoka is giving him chances, just, if Gon could learn way faster. Gon has like no key move, or even anything flashy, which is odd compared to other characters in the genre, or even in HxH, Killua has his fast paced move and claw hand or whatever.

Ultimadrago

I regret not keeping track of what I've watched. Even if I went back at this point and tried to create a list I probably wouldn't be able to remember everything I've seen to make it accurate.

Yeah, when I think of past anime I've watched. There's this one (OVA, I believe) where this buff villain catches a bullet between his fingers and flicks it right through the frightened shooter's forehead.

The name isn't coming to me.

Grzi

Continuing my series trade with Envelope, the one he probably forgot about and made Luffy sad.

Wandering Son - 3&4

Damn this show is gorgeous. One of the best looking shows in recent memory, definitely. I love most of the characters already, even Momoko. I find myself rooting for Saori so far, I kind of like her more than Takatsuki.

Loved Kanako's reaction here, so adorable :)

Branduil

[Gunslinger Girl] - 5

I had forgotten just how impressive this series is. Everything about the production is pitch-perfect and the direction is coldly effective. To convincingly pull of such a scenario without succumbing to any of the dreaded 'anime tropes' is remarkable. So far, at least, it hasn't taken a step out of place.

This episode performs a dual-purpose role in that it tells a complete story in 22 minutes and it helps flesh out the world and characters that exist in the show. It's a very simple story of a character named Rovaldo who comes into the agency to be a handler for a new girl that they've acquired. As the agency is staffed by clinical, cold and efficient military figures you essentially know what to expect from the Rovaldo and his interactions with his trainee.

What's unusual about his arc is that Rovaldo doesn't change as a character, it's just his ability to sit idly by and witness the inhumane practices carried out by the agency diminishes over time. This explains why most of the characters in the show have similar outlooks when it comes to using the girls and a similar coldness when it comes to their job. No other kind of human being would be ale to work for the agency.

One scene in particular stands out very clearly. Rovaldo is very brash and he's quick to hit those he sees as doing something very stupid. This leads to a nasty confrontation during target practice where one single mistake nearly leads to situation where people are getting killed. There's no need for the girls to reach for their weapons - it's not like Jose is in serious danger - but that doesn't stop the situation escalating badly. This nicely underscores the result of the girls 'training' and how they don't have anyway to deal with any kind of social conflict without resorting to extreme violence. When Henrietta picks up the whole bench in one swift movement we're also reminded that these girls posses enormous physical strength and enhanced abilities, something that isn't always obvious when they're just shooting fools.

gunslingergirl5.png

Oh, and the show looks really good as well. Nice, fluid animation, 2D cars and, gun-recoil sakuga. Firehawk would approve!

I'll be interested in reading your thoughts on episodes 9 through 11. I thought that was the most "subversive" arc in the series when I first watched it.

Grzi

I do like that Hisoka is giving him chances, just, if Gon could learn way faster. Gon has like no key move, or even anything flashy, which is odd compared to other characters in the genre, or even in HxH, Killua has his fast paced move and claw hand or whatever.

Don't worry, just keep watching, you'll be satisfied.

Narag

Fate/Stay Night 6

Shirou vs Rider in the woods was actually rather cool until Rin came to muck it all up. Shirou getting fucked up so much is getting comical though.
All the shots of Saber just hanging out around home were so strange too. Someone's a little too domestic.

Branduil

Really? I had all, but avoided this show because I was sure that'd be the case. If that ends up being the case throughout the rest of the series, I'm interested in giving it a shot.

Gunslinger Girl is a true deconstruction of the girls-with-guns genre.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Continuing my series trade with Envelope, the one he probably forgot about and made Luffy sad.

Wandering Son - 3&4

Damn this show is gorgeous. One of the best looking shows in recent memory, definitely. I love most of the characters already, even Momoko. I find myself rooting for Saori so far, I kind of like her more than Takatsuki.

Loved Kanako's reaction here, so adorable :)

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten, but I want to tackle MLP first.

Gon has already reached several millestones already that was obvious given the end of the hunter arc.
Killua has somzthing more because of his past and lineage but gon is incredible already ..Look at zushi.

Anyway gon has other qualities than being flashy..Several characters are currently above him..killua & kurapica for example but gon being the MC will improve.. he is already on the right track.

Dont base your impressions on gon growth with this battle hisoka is in the hisoka tier

Jex

Fate/Stay Night 6

Shirou vs Rider in the woods was actually rather cool until Rin came to muck it all up. Shirou getting fucked up so much is getting comical though.
All the shots of Saber just hanging out around home were so strange too. Someone's a little too domestic.

They don't call it Fate/Stay in the Kitchen for no reason.

The screens at least of those, make FSN seem to be completely different in tone than F/Z, like everything is way happier and cheery, is the grail war just not as actiony anymore?

Saint Seiya Omega 13

Pretty good episode, I think so far the anime has just had one not as good episode while the rest have been from great to stellar. Shun last episode and more random glimpses of Seiya still leave me wanting to see them more as we go on. Kouga was awesome as usual, and Souma is so funny.
Haruto is finally back! and even Eden screentime, but the son of Mars?! Mindblown! Hes in the OP so Im guessing at some point he defects. It will be interesting how he interacts with the main crew in terms of personality, whenever that happens

1stStrike

Banned
Fate/Stay Night 7

God damn it.

UBW doesn't really have any of that stuff, and the story takes a more serious turn. If the route of UBW had been the same as the FSN series I think it would've been so much better. So, at least you have the movie to look forward to. The rest of FSN will probably just give you an ulcer, though.

Gon has already reached several millestones already that was obvious given the end of the hunter arc.
Killua has somzthing more because of his past and lineage but gon is incredible already ..Look at zushi.

Anyway gon has other qualities than being flashy..Several characters are currently above him..killua & kurapica for example but gon being the MC will improve.. he is already on the right track.

Dont base your impressions on gon growth with this battle hisoka is in the hisoka tier

Kurapica is Killua tier? lol Impossible. Killua is the strongest so far! I think at most a little less than Gon. Gon managed to at least hit Hisoka and get him to move, so Gon is right there, just a little bit more and he could take down Hisoka.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mysterious Girlfriend X - 12

PWvlQ.gif

Always nice to see Urabe's caring side come through. However, someone needs to fire the guy with the censorship torch. He's getting on my nerves.

ofx360

Banned
It's one of the weaknesses of F/Z that it's tied to FS/N so a lot of the things don't get fully resolved per say. Though most of the things you are confused about make sense and you probably need to re-watch when the BDs come out. I wouldn't strictly recommend watching FS/N, it's pretty badly made, has some redeeming features like some fights and some things that you could appreciate from having watched F/Z like

Yeah, after talking it over with people, i understand it a bit more - though it seems like some of the info you kinda gotta just guess, and some of the info is from other sources (like the VN). But i understand it for the most part now, a lot of the stuff i was concerned with was just more for me to better understand the world, less about trying to understand the overall story at hand.

I think i'll watch Fate/Stay Night just for completion sake, anyways

ofx360

Banned
Mysterious Girlfriend X - 11

Always nice to see Urabe's caring side come through. However, someone needs to fire the guy with the censorship torch. He's getting on my nerves.

The BD, hopefully, will be glorious!!
[Gunslinger Girl] - 5

I had forgotten just how impressive this series is. Everything about the production is pitch-perfect and the direction is coldly effective. To convincingly pull of such a scenario without succumbing to any of the dreaded 'anime tropes' is remarkable. So far, at least, it hasn't taken a step out of place.

I need to come to AnimeGaf more often! Its rare to see Gunslinger Girl love!

Once again, I'm surprised this is real when I really shouldn't be.

F/SN is unwatchably sexist, pretty much. I like some of the characters and think the plot is (potentially) interesting, but it's too intolerable to force myself to watch. I dropped it somewhere around episode six or seven, it's just atrociously bad.

Jex

Phew, after a quick count up it looks live I've only seen about 420 anime series/movies/OVA's. That's not too bad, I expected worse.

Thoraxes

[Mysterious Girlfriend X] - 11

MGX11.png

Further proof, is proof were needed, that Oka is the best girl. I like to pretend that she's the protagonist of the series. Heck, she even keeps a picture of Oka's naked body with her just because.

The best girl wouldn't almost
kill you while trying to cowboy-style cut things with scissors,
would she?

Thoraxes

E7 AO - 10

That was a pretty cool episode. I liked the method
for detecting the attacks, Truth's appearance with that smile, and Stanley and Rebecca's pasts are pretty interesting too. I hope more is seen into them, as I found I liked this exploration into that.

Stanley is a bawss.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh god, I made it 1 1/2 episodes into Chaos;Head before I crumbled. It's so bad.

Guess I'll try Utawarerumono (turns out I've seen it) Genshiken instead.

Ultimadrago

Korra no Densetsu 11

Hey! Wanna know about
Amon
?

Weeeeell, why didn't you just ask befoooooore?

*and they spoke for three weeks*

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Oh god, I made it 1 1/2 episodes into Chaos;Head before I crumbled. It's so bad.

Guess I'll try Utawarerumono instead.

Yeah it's awful. Try watching thoroughly enjoyable Steins;Gate which is done by a much more competent studio.

Underwater Ray Romano is kinda blah. Watch it for the twins though.

Narag

F/SN is unwatchably sexist, pretty much. I like some of the characters and think the plot is (potentially) interesting, but it's too intolerable to force myself to watch. I dropped it somewhere around episode six or seven, it's just atrociously bad.

It's certainly a chore at times. I think the show clicks when it's more about the Grail stuff. I like the characters but some of the scenarios they end up in are just awful. Dinner scenes or Shirou telling Saber she shouldn't do anything because y'know she's a girl? Ugh.

Gundam Age 37

Seeing things from the Vegan's perspective makes me feel a bit more for them. Now Im wondering how they can actually end this story peacefully.
Lord Ezelcant doesnt actually seem to be that bad of a guy nor the Vegan's so I wonder if he is also going through some peaceful solution, perhaps some political compromise can be met. Also how would they move all the Vegan's to Earth. I dont think he can last the six months so perhaps he can pass on the mission to Zehearto? It was touching and I hope Kio can do something about it

Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi 1-END

Generic tsundere romance series starring Taiga mk2 and her largely insufferable friends. It'll be forgotten by the time I've clicked 'submit'.

I need to stop watching shows which're obviously going to be terrible on the basis that I want to save ones I'll enjoy for later, because I never seem to get around to watching the latter.

Jex

[Eureka Seven Ao] - 10

You know, this actually wasn't was as bad as last weeks episode. The only sequences that really bothered me was, well, everything involving Rebecca and the 'Governor'. Their dialogue was cringe-inducingly awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom