• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Straight lines? Man you can't expect anyone to draw something that difficult! Also, whoever doesn t find at least 20 errors in that picture is blind. This is clearly supposed to be a DERPbulance!

To be fair, perspective is hard to master. I find myself having more difficulty drawing "simple" shapes rather than complex ones, because even if it's just the slightest smidgen off, it looks completely wrong.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
As a man should not aspire to be a god!

tumblr_lzs33hiYXh1qgm8k7.gif

Grzi

Wandering Son

Nitorin started dating
Anna????????????????????????

Daaaaamn, what a pimp, he got the best girl. I like them as a couple, but since it's only episode 7, it probably won't last. Too bad.

Jex

[Dusk Maiden of Amnesia] - 12

You know, that ending was not everything I had hoped for. Saying too much more would be a spoiler.

Oh, if only those last couple of minutes didn't happen. Way to undercut all the successful closure and leave the story...er...nowhere logical. Yukko is a ghost, not a human being. She can't even leave the school grounds and Niiya can't remain at school forever...talk about your classic cop-out ending.

survivor

Banned
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 12

And another spring anime ends. Seeing Mahiro suffer was so satisfying,
too bad the asshole got the life that he "hates" back. I wanted him to stay lonely and live a miserable life running away from these demons. It's so frustrating that he refused to kiss Nyaruko even at the end of the finale.

This is one of those comedy anime that I enjoy for their silly premise and characters but get ruined whenever they try to add drama or have a plot.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Maison Ikkoku does not represent currently accepted social norms nor is it a good training guide for life or relationships.

So it's not okay to proclaim your love of a woman while drunk and standing on a stone wall to elevate you so that your voice carries further?

I wondered what I was doing wrong.

Jex

I'm going on the idea that
her regret around her death (which kept her from leaving the school) has now been resolved, her new 'regret' is tied to Teiichi, thus allowing her to leave the school with him.

Not to be a debbie downer here but,
the whole ghost girlfriend thing really never works out, for lots of obvious reasons.

jman2050

Nyaruko-san 12

Not nearly enough suffering on Mahiro's end, sadly, but outside of that we have action! humor!
eroge otaku! This show is indeed a sobering commentary on the socioeconomic ramifications of overbearing government control of the distribution and sale of goods and services. We should not stand for this! Give us region-free gaming consoles and foreign developed eroge or give us death! Free at last! Free at last!
That ending song was total garbage though.

In the end, the show didn't fully live up to the craziness of the first episode, and any time it tried to be dramatic it fell on its face more often than not. Still an enjoyable watch nonetheless. I think AKB might be spoiling me in the "stupid shit that should never ever happen" department :p

I'd dig a second season, as long as it involves Mahiro getting eaten or something and Kuuko becoming the main character.

Hyouka 10
aSAjk.gif

But, I want to know!
Very good episode. More great explanation visuals and I really liked the thinking about it visual parts as well. Oreki's explanation made sense but the twist at the end was really good as well.
I also liked that there's more to Satoshi than meets the eye especially with Oreki.

Jex

[Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood] - 11

I know that, well, everyone who isn't Firehawk12 already knows that this early Hughes storyline was a lot more effective in the original series than it is here. In fact, I'd dare to say that the original series handles it even better than the manga, but then again the original series takes far longer in establishing characters and building their relationships to the audience. Given how fast they're moving through the material it was done about as well as you could expect.

I really didn't enjoy watching this series back when it was airing because I had made the mistake of reading through the manga shortly before. This basically left me feeling rather bored with what they had on hand because I wanted them to get to the material that hadn't been animated. However, now that it's been awhile since I've read the manga I no longer feel that way. Enough time has passed since then to allow me to judge the show on it's own merits, which has led to me enjoying it more.

Makoto

Hyouka 10

KyoAni's use of color and camerawork was really on display here, a testament to the competent direction. At the same time, I feel we got a good glance into how Oreki operates.

The camerawork during the initial conversation between Irisu and Oreki was very revealing as a supplement for Oreki's character development. As the conversation progresses,
a 180 on the perspective of the room is completed by the end.

Take the first couple of shots during the opening minute of the conversation:

Example 1, Example 2

Alongside the over-the-shoulder shots, these are the dominating shots of the first couple minutes of the conversation. We're given a perspective of the room from the hallway and from that perspective, we simply look into the room. And by looking into it, we see that there's not much depth beyond where the characters are positioned. Just a short distance and a hard wall meet them. It's as if it serves as a metaphor for the Oreki's attitude of his own abilities: Short-sighted, hardheaded.

Irisu continues and
she starts revealing that Oreki was her choice to solve the mystery all along. The camera is now positioned along the middle of the room, sometimes from the top and sometimes from the bottom but always right between Irisu and Oreki, foreshadowing the crossroads that Oreki is about to find himself in.

Example 3, Example 4

And then Irisu does it.
She turns on a lightbulb of sorts in Oreki by praising him as, "extraordinary," and Oreki's psyche, as well as the room, light up.

Example 5, Example 6, Example 7, Example 8.

And it's done.
Oreki is practically hooked in.
We know this because the perspective of the room has changed. We're now looking from inside, out.

Example 9, Example 10, Example 11.

Just like the audience's perspective of the room and the outer world has changed,
Oreki finally acknowledges a greater perspective of himself and the external. We know this as evidenced by the differences between the first 2 example shots and the last 3. Irisu seals the deal with the story that almost echoes back to Good Will Hunting's, "You've got a gift and you're not properly using it."

Fitting that amateur film making would be a brief topic of discussion in this episode as the complete opposite was on display in the episode itself.

On the subject of color,
what was most telling about him in this episode was Irisu's confiding in Oreki. It was very interesting that after she remarks how extraordinary his skills are, he psyche lights up as reflected by the brightening color scheme of the room in Examples 5, 6, 7 and 8.

By the end of the episode, he's doing something we've yet to truly see from him: he's riding on a high of self-confidence. He feels good. Maybe a rolse-colored life is something to consider after all, as evidenced by his acknowledgement of a nearby baseball game's homerun.
He "looks up,"
and sees a brighter perspective on things, remarking "Home run." Which is more evidence of how confident he is about the solution to this "mystery." This doesn't last long as he notices that the rest of the gang aren't surprised. Yes, Ibara in particular is worried and she brings up the issue of one item that wasn't addressed: the rope. Then bam, Oreki is slapped so hard back into reality, that Oreki's moment of relief and self-praise is over. No longer does a rose-colored life seem within reach. Instead, all color completely vanishes until we, as the audience, are left with
gray, a sure reflection of what Oreki is feeling at that very moment.

So I suppose I have to ask myself:
What prompts these incomplete or mistaken solutions in Oreki's line of thought? When solving mysteries, is he at his weakest when he does it out of the benefit of receiving praise? We saw this in Episode 4 when he almost allowed his solution to the Chitanda Uncle mystery to slip by. Perhaps his weakness truly is self-confidence. Too much praise and he's prone to pat himself on the back and allow loose ends untended to. If he loosens up and considers the lifestyle he originally cared nothing for, such as in
Episode 5, his guard falters and something has surely slipped by him.

So I guess what I'm saying is: Watching bad shows like Index/Guilty Crown has given me a new perspective and opened my mind to the good. I've done a 180 on Oreki and he looks like Daniel Plainview by comparison.

Jex

The main theme for Blood-C The Last Dark is pretty great. Not so sure about all that CGI they're using, though.

Well, this is Production IG that we're talking about. They've been using CG in anime since...well...the original Blood: The Last Vampire movie. You should be used to it by now!

I think it's interesting to note that, while Production IG were one of the earliest studios to experiment with mixing 'traditional' animation and CG, other studio who came onto the scene are later are much better at it than PIG. Then again, perhaps because they started so early they had trouble changing their ways. I haven't really seen any improvement in their technique since...forever? It's not like Ufotable where you can compare the Garden of Sinners stuff to Fate/Zero and see the obvious impoverishments.

Makoto

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 12

Having no experience with the manga, this show definitely exceeded my expectations. I had some problems with the way characters acted and the writing, but overall it didn't ruin the show. I did enjoy the visual style they went with. Maybe it was aimless and random at some points but it made the show more memorable.
I think a lot of the middle episodes suffered from this and as a result the show lost traction with me. Granted, I've seen every episode but I can't at all remember what happened in episodes 5-9.

Jex

So this isn't the hentai thread?

Only by way of a very round-about argument.

If you consider the fact that there's no generic 'anime thread' it soon becomes apparent that the seasonal anime threads are a place that you can post about any anime title, which means that theoretically this is a hentai thread because it encompasses all of anime and hentai is a part of anime.

However, in reality it doesn't work like that at all!

Unless everyone is talking about Black Cat.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm so behind on everything. I suppose I'll use the rest of the day to catch up on what's already finished, namely Fate/Zero and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

I'm behind six episodes on Shining Hearts and three episodes on Lupin. Someone hold me :(

Jex

Fate/Stay Night 9
Rider vs a master and Saber vs Assassin? Fuck yeah...
is what I would say if I wasn't witness to beam spam, powering up, oppressive auras, and talktalktalk.

It's a good thing Shirou was around to carry her back to the kitchen.

I see that the rate that you're flagellating yourself has decreased. That's a healthy sign, I guess, but I am still concerned for you soul long-term.
So if Chitose Got You is the show of the summer that would freak out the average joe, what was the show of this season? I mean I explained the premise of MGX to a friend and they were disturbed and I'd say that was pretty mild.

Spoken like someone who's truly too deep to even realise that you're drowning.
Really? I'd say that was even more mild.

See what I mean?

Genshiken 6
IbpYt.png

They're only manga big though, not doujin big.
Kasukabe is feeling neglected that her boyfriend seems to like anime and games more than her, so she tries to figure out how she could get closer to him. So the club gets her to try playing Poyo Pop. She learns how to play it and tries playing with Kousaka, but ends up getting absolutely demolished. Then it goes on to show that Sasahara has a whore of a little sister.
Ok episode, the beginning is great, but doesn't really go anywhere with it.
KWWXP.png

They actually go to school?!?

Hyouka 10

KyoAni's use of color and camerawork was really on display here, a testament to the competent direction. At the same time, I feel we got a good glance into how Oreki operates.

The camerawork during the initial conversation between Irisu and Oreki was very revealing as a supplement for Oreki's character development. As the conversation progresses,
a 180 on the perspective of the room is completed by the end.

Take the first couple of shots during the opening minute of the conversation:

Example 1, Example 2

Alongside the over-the-shoulder shots, these are the dominating shots of the first couple minutes of the conversation. We're given a perspective of the room from the hallway and from that perspective, we simply look into the room. And by looking into it, we see that there's not much depth beyond where the characters are positioned. Just a short distance and a hard wall meet them. It's as if it serves as a metaphor for the Oreki's attitude of his own abilities: Short-sighted, hardheaded.

Irisu continues and
she starts revealing that Oreki was her choice to solve the mystery all along. The camera is now positioned along the middle of the room, sometimes from the top and sometimes from the bottom but always right between Irisu and Oreki, foreshadowing the crossroads that Oreki is about to find himself in.

Example 3, Example 4

And then Irisu does it.
She turns on a lightbulb of sorts in Oreki by praising him as, "extraordinary," and Oreki's psyche, as well as the room, light up.

Example 5, Example 6, Example 7, Example 8.

And it's done.
Oreki is practically hooked in.
We know this because the perspective of the room has changed. We're now looking from inside, out.

Example 9, Example 10, Example 11.

Just like the audience's perspective of the room and the outer world has changed,
Oreki finally acknowledges a greater perspective of himself and the external. We know this as evidenced by the differences between the first 2 example shots and the last 3. Irisu seals the deal with the story that almost echoes back to Good Will Hunting's, "You've got a gift and you're not properly using it."

Fitting that amateur film making would be a brief topic of discussion in this episode as the complete opposite was on display in the episode itself.

On the subject of color,
what was most telling about him in this episode was Irisu's confiding in Oreki. It was very interesting that after she remarks how extraordinary his skills are, he psyche lights up as reflected by the brightening color scheme of the room in Examples 5, 6, 7 and 8.

By the end of the episode, he's doing something we've yet to truly see from him: he's riding on a high of self-confidence. He feels good. Maybe a rolse-colored life is something to consider after all, as evidenced by his acknowledgement of a nearby baseball game's homerun.
He "looks up,"
and sees a brighter perspective on things, remarking "Home run." Which is more evidence of how confident he is about the solution to this "mystery." This doesn't last long as he notices that the rest of the gang aren't surprised. Yes, Ibara in particular is worried and she brings up the issue of one item that wasn't addressed: the rope. Then bam, Oreki is slapped so hard back into reality, that Oreki's moment of relief and self-praise is over. No longer does a rose-colored life seem within reach. Instead, all color completely vanishes until we, as the audience, are left with
gray, a sure reflection of what Oreki is feeling at that very moment.

So I suppose I have to ask myself:
What prompts these incomplete or mistaken solutions in Oreki's line of thought? When solving mysteries, is he at his weakest when he does it out of the benefit of receiving praise? We saw this in Episode 4 when he almost allowed his solution to the Chitanda Uncle mystery to slip by. Perhaps his weakness truly is self-confidence. Too much praise and he's prone to pat himself on the back and allow loose ends untended to. If he loosens up and considers the lifestyle he originally cared nothing for, such as in
Episode 5, his guard falters and something has surely slipped by him.

Wow I never thought of much of this stuff in that light but that analysis of just the first part with tea time and how much of the camera changes around Oreki and his situations is intriguing.

So I guess what I'm saying is: Watching bad shows like Guilty Crown has given me a new perspective and opened my mind to the good. I've done a 180 on Oreki and he looks like Daniel Plainview by comparison.

Well Oreki is awesome, however I must disagree on the first half.

survivor

Banned
I'm so behind on everything. I suppose I'll use the rest of the day to catch up on what's already finished, namely Fate/Zero and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia.

I'm behind six episodes on Shining Hearts and three episodes on Lupin. Someone hold me :(

Well are you up to date on Sengoku Collection? That should get priority over Rick's Bread and Owls

Jex

None of this is a problem, actually.

Jex

Fate/Stay Night 10

Oh hey, some nice Saber character development at last. Maybe this is a sign of better things to...

God damn it.

Also dat neck.

Ilya and Shirou reminiscing about Kiritsugu together without realizing was actually a nice little scene.

I feel like I am going to need to either block these posts or learn to skip pas them somehow. Every time I glance at them I feel a part of my soul shrivel up and die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom