• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
HeartCatch PreCure 17
In this episode we explore the topic of succession and the desire to be accepted by our elders. We end up with
a parallel between our precure and cure moonlight, and our "troubled soul of the week" in the process and our precure earn some respect from moonlight too.
Sasolina continues to be bitter.
fight this week was a bit boring save for
where moonlight came in and saved the day.
we also got some new designs for those cannon fodder...things

Now you need to hurry and watch 18 because it's awesome.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka ? of the Dead FIN

That last episode was great. It was everything I enjoyed about the show, the ridiculous fanservice and the easygoing humor tied into a pretty interesting story,
involving the Ayumus
. Left me wanting to check out a S3 which is the polar opposite feeling I had after the ending of S1 where I really did not want to watch S2 at all.

Overall the season was much stronger than S1 (not really saying much since S1 was pretty shit). There were way less of the overtly serious melodrama segments in this season and it was for the better.
Kyouko
was the worst offender of all yet again but thankfully she only gets barely an episode this time around. Even the other characters I couldn't stand in S1 like Yuki and Seraphim don't wear out their welcome in this season.

Lots of unresolved story lines,
Rie-chan being set up as the true last boss in this episode was really fantastic
and that ending basically sets up a S3 so uh they better do it.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka ? of the Dead FIN

That last episode was great. It was everything I enjoyed about the show, the ridiculous fanservice and the easygoing humor tied into a pretty interesting story,
involving the Ayumus
. Left me wanting to check out a S3 which is the polar opposite feeling I had after the ending of S1 where I really did not want to watch S2 at all.

All the Ayumu's
was my favorite plot point. Quite a few of the episodes had memorable and hilarious moments, though I think I liked the actual story of S1 a bit more, this season felt like we barely went anywhere, tbh.

wonzo

Banned
Rinne no Lagrange S1-3

rinnes1.jpg
rinnes2.jpg
rinnes3.jpg

dat rolling r marrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuu

trejo

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 12

It's kind of a shame that they opted to chicken out at the very last minute when they could've ended on a much stronger note.
Oh well.

All in all, despite its fair share of flaws, I think the good ended up outweighing the bad and I don't really regret the time spent on this show. Terrible first episode aside, of course.

Branduil

More Ookami Kodomo reactions:

ilKkRszm7sDhz.JPG

Back from the premiere screening of Wolf Children Ame and Yuki. Pretty good movie, I thought it was better than Tokikake and Summer Wars which were only decent to me. The premise was more engaging, it's about a mother raising her wolf children (not a big spoil but don't look if you don't want to know anything about the story)
after the daddy wolfman died
. Then, we see them growing and there is some drama because of their nature. It has a more serious and mature tone than the previous movies but there's some funny parts too, I laughed at (again, not a big spoil)
a scene where the mother didn't know where to bring her sick children, hesitating between a doctor and a veterinarian
. I liked the characters too, they are well developed throughout the movie (we see most of them growing afterall) unlike Summer Wars' big but bland cast.

Art was simplistic but well animated as usual. There was several awful CG crowd at the beginning though. There are a few scenes with no dialogues and only directed by the music, which were pretty nice. And... I have nothing else to say. Great movie anyway.

If you want to know why Hosoda became a furry, he said he wanted to make a movie about a mother raising her children but he needed more to stand out. Then he eventually learned that wolves live in a community and that they were somehow like us (what? lolz). And this is where the whole wolfmen idea came from.

You have no idea how jealous I am.

1stStrike

Banned
What is this? What is this? I sense a weird kind of compatibility here. Is this going to develop further in later episodes?

Also, season 2's OP is great. Really digging the tune.

Ultimadrago

Shiawasette-naani

Happy Science gives you wings!

Also, this blonde messenger of the Truth is having too much fun! He must have smiled around...ten times!

El Cantare, we must drop him down two dimensions for this folly!

Well that is the point of her character. She's supposed to be the exact opposite of the other club members.
Though in episode 8 she was just plain mean.

Well yeah. Arguably, the series is about her coming to grips with the otaku world because some guy she found attractive is in it, instead of just cutting her losses and going after someone else.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shiawasette-naani

Happy Science gives you wings!

Also, this blonde messenger of the Truth is having too much fun! He must have smiled around...ten times!

El Cantare, we must drop him down two dimensions for this folly!

Wait, the angel is a dude?

Gundam Seed HD 19
tumblr_m678o9UxLZ1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Athrun's return was definitely welcome. I kind of laughed quite a bit when Lacus and her twenty Haro's were just all around him saying his name.

I wish they revealed what was up with La Crueset, that scene with the medicine and him falling out the bed

1stStrike

Banned
Genshiken 9

Wahaha~! Glorious, glorious awkwardness! And does Saki like reading manga? But man, I loved Madarame's over-thinking induced fantasies. To bad he chickened out at the end.
Next episode is a beach episode, so it should be good.

Wasn't it so awkward that it made you uncomfortable? I had to pause it a couple of times and was just like, "God damn it Madarame" lol. The nose hair was pretty good, though. Especially the face he made when Saki turned around.

I was more uncomfortable watching episode 8 than I did this one, but maybe it's because I expected it. It did get pretty weird when he was sitting their talking to himself while watching that anime they always watch.
PQSqJ.png

Aquarion Evol end

VERY strong finale. Purely in terms of presentation, there were many segments that were almost at TTGL level. I would say the music had a big hand in that. Even when reusing original Aquarion's tracks, it worked perfectly. There was such a great sense of speed and later on, optimistic tension like in TTGL. Really friggin good.

My only complaint is
GODFUCKIN DAMMIT, MIX IS BACK TO A WOMAN, AREGHOIAEHBKA STUPID DAMN GENDER SHIFTING COPOUTS! AKHDGKKDSGKL

Anyway, this was a fascinating, almost bipolar series. What started out as a travesty of a sequel with an aggravating cast of characters and annoying cliche themes found in low-tier harem series, ended up escalating in both scale and quality as the story progressed. Originally annoying characters became tolerable and eventually likable, the themes started becoming more relatable, the action got better, the music/scene convergence became very impressive, and the mind blowing revelations started pouring in. Overall, I'd call it a damn good product with a subpar beginning.

I'm not sure exactly how I would compare it to the original. I mean this has higher highs (thanks to the fantastic ending), but that might be more consistent throughout its run. Even after this final episode, I still think Apollo is leagues ahead of Amata. Either way, both are worth watching.

Aquarion Evol end

VERY strong finale. Purely in terms of presentation, there were many segments that were almost at TTGL level. I would say the music had a big hand in that. Even when reusing original Aquarion's tracks, it worked perfectly. There was such a great sense of speed and later on, optimistic tension like in TTGL. Really friggin good.

My only complaint is
GODFUCKIN DAMMIT, MIX IS BACK TO A WOMAN, AREGHOIAEHBKA STUPID DAMN GENDER SHIFTING COPOUTS! AKHDGKKDSGKL

Even after this final episode, I still think Apollo is leagues ahead of Amata. Either way, both are worth watching.

I had the same complaint, they should have left it as is.

Evol makes me not want to check out the first series, based on all the characters portrayed here (and Im guess it wasnt even in a school setting?), they all just seemed quite uninteresting compared to Amata, Kagura, etc.

Dresden

Gurren Lagann (Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Nirvash Type 0 (Eureka 7)

WD-M01 Turn A Gundam (Turn A Gundam)

Gunbuster (Top wo Nerai! Gunbuster)

AXMAN

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gurren, Goufy, Kshatriya.

Don't know the rest.

Ultimadrago

Eureka Seven AO 10

tI4aZ.png

dat :DTL power is menacing!

The
disintegration weapon
in use made me laugh. I guess it traumatized Ao or something.

I liked the
Pied Piper
parallel, but I would have enjoyed it better without the connection being explicitly explained as it is rather obvious.

Anyways, this episode was alright, but felt longer than the average for some reason. Secrets are still as easy to kill as ever. Ao gets to hurdle the stress of witnessing
mass death
and hopefully it'll help him stomach the inevitable addition of it in the future while Truth is running about.

Uchip

Banned
Eureka Seven AO 9

Ao gets to hurdle the stress of witnessing
mass death
and hopefully it'll help him stomach the inevitable addition of it in the future while Truth is running about.

I guess this is AOs version of when E7 spoiler:
Renton realizes that hes been killing people
only really strangely directed and wont be brought up again

Kimi to Boku 2 - 13 (end)
tumblr_m66utqAhDP1qcgu4mo1_500.gif

Nice final episode. It was oddly the same sort of thing Ive been experiencing where I just dont know what I even want to do in the future (like Shun). But there were so many hilarious parts and I feel bad for actually laughing at
the bald guy asking them if there was something on his head, and everyone trying to resist laughing, Chizuru's face and Kanemecchi's

9 / 10 for it is probably the best Slice of Life anime ever. Truly, this is how one must do a slice of life. Have compelling, cool and interesting characters that are silly and funny, with a nice mix of some sort of action, drama, and comedy, with characters with aspects that one could relate with, and some various one sided love interests. Just about every episode was as exciting with each other and some even got me to be quite emotionally attached to them just like with many of my favorite shonen action anime. I can't even pick favorite episodes or even favorite characters as they were all so good, well maybe Id go with Yuta, Yuki, and Chizuru.

Hopefully some western company picks this up somehow (nisa maybe?), so I can own and cherish it.

Ezalc

All the best parts! Goddamn it, all the best parts were left out. School trip ruined, I wanted to see Himeko not that weird chick from the journalism club.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
More like, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! *does a duckroll*

I'm tempted to read it. I almost never read manga anymore, but Genshiken seems good enough to warrant it. I haven't read any in over 6 months =\
The manga is better. Also there's new chapters coming out now.

::goes to read::

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kimi to Boku 2 - 13 (end)
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m66utqAhDP1qcgu4mo1_500.gif

Nice final episode. It was oddly the same sort of thing Ive been experiencing where I just dont know what I even want to do in the future (like Shun). But there were so many hilarious parts and I feel bad for actually laughing at
the bald guy asking them if there was something on his head, and everyone trying to resist laughing, Chizuru's face and Kanemecchi's

9 / 10 for it is probably the best Slice of Life anime ever. Truly, this is how one must do a slice of life. Have compelling, cool and interesting characters that are silly and funny, with a nice mix of some sort of action, drama, and comedy, with characters with aspects that one could relate with, and some various one sided love interests. Just about every episode was as exciting with each other and some even got me to be quite emotionally attached to them just like with many of my favorite shonen action anime. I can't even pick favorite episodes or even favorite characters as they were all so good, well maybe Id go with Yuta, Yuki, and Chizuru.

Hopefully some western company picks this up somehow (nisa maybe?), so I can own and cherish it.
I liked it for what it is, but I think that's overselling it a bit. For example, and perhaps this is a source material problem, but the logical place to have ended the show would have been at their own graduation.

I think Genshiken is my new favorite anime.
(The manga is better)

(But the anime's pretty good)
Funny. The "next generation" continuation has almost retroactively killed my interest in the series. :p

wonzo

Banned
Dusk Maiden 12 END

Even if
Yuuko coming back didn't really make sense at felt out of place given the emotional lead-up until the end, I'm a sucker for "happy endings" so I can look past it.
All in all this was a really good series, easily one of the best of the season and I'd highly recommend it!

I wonder if they'll touch on whether or not
Yuuko's still stuck in the high-school grounds
in the OVA that's coming with the BD's.

1stStrike

Banned
The manga is better. Also there's new chapters coming out now.

::goes to read::

Where's the best place to buy the manga? I'm not really finding anywhere that doesn't look shady online, and most of the sites that are coming up are just like "read Genshiken online!" and, you know, I want to actually buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom