• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
MGX8

All that fetishes. Glad it informed me out of the bat.

boob.jpg

yesss.jpg

i gave my computer a thumbs up right here.

ibbav6GzpITAcs.gif

Good times all around ;)

Jintor

The Madoka manga has actually quite decent proportions for its cast, but the story loses a lot not being animated and, strangely enough, not being completely out of whack uguuuuuu~.

Also, it's surprisingly hard to get the constantly ominous tone across in the manga.

Ultimadrago

Hyouka 6

pCs9E.jpg

Guuuaaaaaaah?

Is that a smile? From Houtarou?

This is still some of the most boring anything in anime this season.

Since no one seems to be notifying this properly anymore, I will:

Zzzzzzzzzzz

That said, I actually liked the small talk about
getting angry and not seeing others in the group do so
. It was a mundane conversation, but it was one of the few times I actually felt something going on between the characters as a group (besides Episode 5). I still can't say I "care" for any of the characters and if one ,say, passed away next episode (I haven't read the light novel, simply an example), I wouldn't bat an eye.

Anyways, yet again, wet to the eyes and dry to the mind. Boring episode (as usual with the series)

survivor

Banned
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia 8

Didn't really like the first half of the episode. Didn't feel like what Niiya or Kirie were doing was an appropriate reaction to losing their friend.
I guess grabbing boobs is a cure to amnesia, I should try that sometimes. Also it's good to see Shadow Yuuko back, was wondering what happened to her throughout the episode.

Go_Ly_Dow

Blood-C 1 - 12

What
the fuck did I just watch? Holy crap this was possibly the most entertaining anime I have ever seen in my entire life! I didn't know where they were going near the end, but then episodes 11 and 12 had me literally screaming and laughing at what they did. The horrific deaths were completely over the top and insane, I couldn't help but think what kind of drugs the staff were on when they made this show.

a true nakama

Narag

Blood-C 1 - 12

What
the fuck did I just watch? Holy crap this was possibly the most entertaining anime I have ever seen in my entire life! I didn't know where they were going near the end, but then episodes 11 and 12 had me literally screaming and laughing at what they did. The horrific deaths were completely over the top and insane, I couldn't help but think what kind of drugs the staff were on when they made this show.

Show was such great fun. The tone of the darker half of the show has me hopeful for the movie.

7Th

Trava 1 (out of 4)

Okay Flawfuls: this isn't Redline. This is Lupin, and even then it's Lupin set on a Bebop scale. Seriously. It's all about the double-act between a jerk-ass, off-the-walls lagomorph humanoid named Trava—and his trustworthy, frank-and-fatherly crustacean friend Shinkai. They found a girl at the end too, she's pretty transient and, for reasons still unknown, an amnesiac with a scar and an hourglass figure that completely puts Fujikoike's to shame.

Sure: this was definitely just wheel-spinning and introductions. But there's something compelling about the way Katsuhito Ishii wrote the dialogue, planned out the quirky characterization, and worked with Takeshi Koike on the brisk, snappy direction with which Trava's intimate tale of remote scouting and mutual discovery in the depths of interstellar space is woven. Not to mention how expressive and interesting the off-model animation from Koike and the other key-ers can get at times, supplemented by smart variations in directing (one scene feeling like an ode to 2001's pod sequences, before becoming something quite different!). Overall, though, the brisk pacing and befitting short length of this first episode made everything work together, and I'm already hooked on what seems to be an engaging podunk space opera of sorts. With very Western animation, ideas, and bro-slapping.

The people who worked on this OVA should be enough indication of how great this was. Ishii and Koike at the helm, assistant directing from Sayo Yamamoto (hmm doesn't seem familiar), and even Hiroyuki Imaishi does keys and storyboarding in the next couple of episodes! Can't wait for the next.

Trava is by far Koike's best work. Then comes the Redline pilot; the actual Redline movie is way too restrained and suffers for it.

Jex

Blood-C 1 - 12

What

It looks like you fully understand the wonders of Blood - C. You are a true human being.

Jex

Hyouka Episode 6

This pretty much sums it up. The show is really a total waste of time for everyone involved. The production values are really good, but the material isn't just boring - it's actually bad. This episode made me realize how poor the material actually is. After 5 episodes developing and resolving the first mystery, it seems to make sense to expand the characters and make the general setting more interesting. Instead of doing that, the show reinforces the weakest point of the show by spending 2/3 of the episode putting the main characters in a tiny room sitting at a table just talking about nonsense instead. It's not funny, it's not exciting, it's just stupid.

The larger problem with the show is how unlikable the characters are getting. Instead of being developed as actual people who have hobbies and interests, who do things which engage the viewer into feeling invested in their lives, they are instead totally lifeless puppets for the purpose of putting up this facade of "slice of life" presentation. They lack real personalities and there is an extremely unnatural manner in which the story was directed this week. It felt like they were put in the room and told to act in a certain way just to drive the running time up, instead of anything actually feeling rational.

No one talks like the characters in this show. Most people do not act like that. People don't tend to interact in the way they do here. And even though high school kids are indeed time wasters who like to speculate about silly shit, they usually do this while engaging in other activities. It is never the main thing you hang out after school to do. If they were actually engaging in a club activity like preparing materials for the anthology, or doing homework, etc, and talking about stuff as a secondary activity, it would make more sense.

Another thing which really bothers me is how psychotic Chitanda is being presented as. She's not just asking people about mundane oddities, but she seems to get curious and confused about all sorts of personal stuff like not being able to remember something she heard, or not knowing why she did something she did, or whatever. It's not cute anymore, just creepy.

If this is a faithful adaptation of the novels, I think the original author must have a really poor understanding of human relations and high school life. Or maybe the author just sucks.
Well, this post has convinced me to never watch episode six and to drop the series completely. I can't even justify watching for the amazing craftsmanship on display. Watching it just because it looks good would make me a hypocrite.

Perhaps I will revisit it is a curiosity somewhere down the road when there's far less anime to watch.

Well, this post has convinced me to never watch episode six and to drop the series completely. I can't even justify watching for the amazing craftsmanship on display. Watching it just because it looks good would make me a hypocrite.

Perhaps I will revisit it is a curiosity somewhere down the road when there's far less anime to watch.

I'm not sure how you will be able to live your life without discovering why Chitanda's teacher mixed up his lesson plans.

Ultimadrago

Jexhius, I thought you would go the long, cumbersome, dull distance with me...I stand mistaken.

On a positive note, at least you know how to save yourself and your precious time!

...is that actually the plot for the episode?

You've been spoiled! Time to blackout yourself from the Internet for a while...

Jex

Her P&SwG half-episode was pretty fun, although that was more like her going with the flow of crazy madness those called GEEKS exude. It still had the mark of 'living on a solitary and unconditionally harsh world' she likes.

Considering she's only been overall director for a couple of shows I'd be tempted to say that it's a bit early to say what kind of theme and tone she likes but the bolded above seems to be a pretty apt description for he works.

So, what you're saying is, the Earth Cult is the Zōken Matō of LOGH?

Although to be fair to LOGH, most real life cults are pretty cartoony too.

Perhaps, although I suspect most of them have somewhat more complex motivations behind them than "Bwa ha ha, we're going to take over the universe!" It annoys me that the series presents such a nuanced view of politics, then turns around and presents such a dismissive, one-sided caricature of religion.

I'm not sure how you will be able to live your life without discovering why Chitanda's teacher mixed up his lesson plans.

I have wished in the past that mystery stories didn't always feel the need to resort to murder, but this wasn't the alternative I had in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom