• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Perhaps, although I suspect most of them have somewhat more complex motivations behind them than "Bwa ha ha, we're going to take over the universe!" It annoys me that the series presents such a nuanced view of politics, then turns around and presents such a dismissive, one-sided caricature of religion.

Well I don't know if the Earth Cult are really there as a stand in for religion as a whole or simply a representation of the kinds of power that small, fanatical groups can wield and exert over much larger entities.

Of course, if they aren't there as a representation of religion then where, exactly, is religion in the LOGH universe? I do not know.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I was going to catch up with Hyouka today, but all of this negativity has me pretty close to bailing on it. Is it at least worth making it through episode five to conclude that mystery?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hyouka 06:

Chitanda has the world's worst memory, and Oreki learned what love is about.

Namely, that it constantly flips from this:

Hyouka06.jpg

to this:

Not a memorable episode sans the normal high quality production values. Basically, a bad filler.

Next week preview: Time to sell dem Blu Rays!

One of Them Is My Younger Sister PV2

So who is watching this filth next season?

*sigh*

Go_Ly_Dow

people dropping blood-c?

absolutely disgraceful.

we're a community now and members of this establishment should discuss such major decisions with fellow members, instead of making irrational decisions and taking matters in their own hands.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You should watch it all because its a great show.

People seem to be disliking it for the same reasons that I would dislike it. I'm just in it for the production quality at this point, so if the mysteries or character interaction decline in quality any further, I'm out.

I'll marathon 4-6 this afternoon and see if I agree with the complaints.

I'm sorry, but that is just factually incorrect. THIS is the best Cowboy Bebop remix ever made.
Pretty cool, too, but that's a mash-up and my pick was a groove. Apples and oranges. And I think it's less about the emotion and more about the restraint and vacuum feeling of 4U's remix.

Trava is by far Koike's best work. Then comes the Redline pilot; the actual Redline movie is way too restrained and suffers for it.
Wouldn't it be more of a Ishii work, though? Koike's responsible for much of the directing and visual style, but he's not the one writing the story, the dialogue, the whateva.. What's so restrained about Redline?

I'm reminded of why I don't post too often: I say things that get me into too many arguments. This thread gets hectic in the early morning.

Well I don't know if the Earth Cult are really there as a stand in for religion as a whole or simply a representation of the kinds of power that small, fanatical groups can wield and exert over much larger entities.

Of course, if they aren't there as a representation of religion then where, exactly, is religion in the LOGH universe? I do not know.

I'm pretty sure the Earth Cult is meant to be a representation of religion as a whole. There's a comment in one of the history lessons that all humanity spontaneously gave up organized religion after nuclear war (if that hasn't happened by now, it's not going to happen in the future), and if I recall correctly the connection is explicitly made that the Earth Cult is a return of the spirit of that old religion.

Instro

People seem to be disliking it for the same reasons that I would dislike it. I'm just in it for the production quality at this point, so if the mysteries or character interaction decline in quality any further, I'm out.

I'll marathon 4-6 this afternoon and see if I agree with the complaints.

Oh your post made it sound like you hadn't even started it.

NewFresh

Ultimadrago Ep.01

What the show lacked in substance it made up for with great visuals. The moment when
spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler
left me in awe.

Overall it looks like they are doing a lot with a modest budget. Some of the themes seem very shoujo(-esque) especially the overly melodramatic MC. I will give it the 3 episode try, and then see if it's worth watching after that.

Ultimadrago

Ultimadrago Ep.01

What the show lacked in substance it made up for with great visuals. The moment when
spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler
left me in awe.

Overall it looks like they are doing a lot with a modest budget. Some of the themes seem very shoujo(-esque) especially the overly melodramatic MC. I will give it the 3 episode try, and then see if it's worth watching after that.

But of course, my existence is inspired by Ace o Nerae!

Instro

I'm going to tune in next week to solve the mystery of how we will get through an entire episode of cute girls in an onsen without a single shot of fanservice. Because you know, it's KyoAni and there probably won't be any.

The answer is that it will be all teen boy service.

Jex

I was going to catch up with Hyouka today, but all of this negativity has me pretty close to bailing on it. Is it at least worth making it through episode five to conclude that mystery?

Well, considering that was my favourite episode in the series, probably.

Ultimadrago Ep.01

left me in awe.

stop watching shitty animes

duckroll

Well, considering that was my favourite episode in the series, probably.

Hyouka Ep4-5 are really up there with some of the other best episodes of this season. They really show that the show has a ton of potential. Unfortunately this isn't a consistent thing and show the weakness of being a slave to bad source material. :(

Jex

Well, it's still beautiful.

True, but that really shouldn't count for anything when the show still manages to be bad despite all the effort spent on art/animation/storyboarding/cinematography. In fact, it just reinforces what a waste of time the whole project because these talented individual could clearly be working on something far better.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Ultimadrago Ep.01

left me in awe.

dude, mark that image nsfw.

Jex

I'm pretty sure the Earth Cult is meant to be a representation of religion as a whole. There's a comment in one of the history lessons that all humanity spontaneously gave up organized religion after nuclear war (if that hasn't happened by now, it's not going to happen in the future), and if I recall correctly the connection is explicitly made that the Earth Cult is a return of the spirit of that old religion.

I thought that was the case, but I hadn't bothered going back to the episode in question and double checking.

Phi Brain 2 ep8
tumblr_m4qt5ndP461r77s58o1_500.gif

Ana was so silly during the puzzle, but he always knows whats best for Kaito, almost better than Nonoha. I enjoyed the match.

Jikukawa and the POG with that Forbidden Pond subplot sounds cool. I can't wait until its brought to the surface. I guess Orpheus Order is deeper than I originally thought.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
True, but that really shouldn't count for anything when the show still manages to be bad despite all the effort spent on art/animation/storyboarding/cinematography. In fact, it just reinforces what a waste of time the whole project because these talented individual could clearly be working on something far better.

It is a shame, indeed. KyoAni should really be investing their talents into something else.

But I've watched crappier shows with less production values and hardly any good animation moments, so the visuals are enough to keep me coming week after week.

Yes

Blood-C 1 - 12

What
the fuck did I just watch? Holy crap this was possibly the most entertaining anime I have ever seen in my entire life! I didn't know where they were going near the end, but then episodes 11 and 12 had me literally screaming and laughing at what they did. The horrific deaths were completely over the top and insane, I couldn't help but think what kind of drugs the staff were on when they made this show.

Did you watch it uncensored?

Makoto

The Melancholy of Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 8

I think I got most of the references the time around, so in that regard, this is my favorite episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom