• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
No-one appreciates my AKB post. This is why people don't write long posts!

I try to avoid reading impressions for currently-airing shows that I'm not caught up with yet!

...which means that I'm about to marathon three episodes of AKB0048. May God have mercy on me.

/XX/

No-one appreciates my AKB post. This is why people don't write long posts!
Same. Unless I just HAVE to write a ton I typically don't 'cause it's not worth the effort. :/
Come on, guys... that doesn't mean people don't like them. I personally like many of those posts, as it is the main reason I visit this thread, but sometimes it is better to not say anything if you don't have anything meaningful to add. Except in determined cases, I think it would be pointless that anytime you are agreeing completely with a post and know that the only thing you can think of is "good job!", but you ended up posting it anyway.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hyouka 06:

8qxOsl.jpg

duckroll's rage is justified. I don't think that I've ever seen a show devolve into self-parody so quickly.

Best part was everyone admitting that Eru is a Mary Sue in-show. Everything else, though? Abysmal. Watashi wa kininarimasen.

Still can't drop because it's just too pretty.

Ultimadrago

Come on, guys... that doesn't mean people don't like them. I personally like many of those posts, as it is the main reason I visit this thread, but sometimes it is better to not say anything if you don't have anything meaningful to add. Except in determined cases, I think it would be pointless that anytime you are agreeing completely with a post and know that the only thing you can think of is "good job!", you end up posting it anyway.

/XX/ knows what I'm talking about.

duckroll

I can't help it that only Fate/Zero and Hyouka really do background art well this season.

If we're talking about using the full range of talents available in both 2D and 3D, sure. If we're talking about more traditional stuff though, I think Lupin, Tsuritama, E7AO, and some episodes of Saint Seiya Omega all have pretty solid background work.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 06:

duckroll's rage is justified. I don't think that I've ever seen a show devolve into self-parody so quickly.

Best part was everyone admitting that Eru is a Mary Sue in-show. Everything else, though? Abysmal. Watashi wa kininarimasen.

Still can't drop because it's just too pretty.

Whats wrong with self-parody?

Narag

Come on, guys... that doesn't mean people don't like them. I personally like many of those posts, as it is the main reason I visit this thread, but sometimes it is better to not say anything if you don't have anything meaningful to add. Except in determined cases, I think it would be pointless that anytime you are agreeing completely with a post and know that the only thing you can think of is "good job!", you end up posting it anyway.

I tend to read any post about something I've seen already. I may not reply to all of them though.

I don't expect others to do any different though. I enjoy writing impressions myself as its helped me understand why I like or dislike something better than I would otherwise.

Neo C.

Amagami SS 16: It's boring, but at least Ai is a cutie. I would love to see an arc with Hibiki and Takahashi-Sensei though.
Doujinshis aren't enough.

Hey man, my last 5 movie posts minus Redline and Iblard Time had like 10 paragraphs each. No one said anything about them.

And how do you think ABF feels?
Yes, its' very frustrating that so, so few people ever respond to long posts. It does make me sometimes not want to try... (but then I usually do anyway because I like writing them). Regardless, I wish people would actually respond to things sometimes.

And honestly, I think this problem is getting worse, even if the threads are getting longer -- I think there are fewer responses to my long posts than ever, this season... and from what I've seen, it's not too different with other peoples' long posts either.

The way to show your appreciation, then, would be to respond.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Whats wrong with self-parody?

Hyouka isn't a comedy and isn't trying to be one. It takes itself completely seriously, and so any instance in which it unknowingly becomes a caricature of itself, it negatively affects the quality of the writing and characterization significantly because any semblance of realism is gone.

cajunator

Banned
There are so many shows airing this season I do actually forget what's on from time to time.

This is why I created a notepad file to keep track of all of it!

Yes, its' very frustrating that so, so few people ever respond to long posts. It does make me sometimes not want to try... (but then I usually do anyway because I like writing them). Regardless, I wish people would actually respond to things sometimes.
I read your posts ABf. Its just that quoting you and then posting a short response makes me feel like an asshole.

duckroll

Hyouka isn't a comedy and isn't trying to be one. It takes itself completely seriously, and so any instance in which it unknowingly becomes a caricature of itself, it negatively affects the quality of the writing and characterization significantly because any semblance of realism is gone.

I'm not sure if the show has much self-parody to be honest. Ep6 just seems poorly written, much like the first few episodes. Ep4-5 were an exception after all. :(

cajunator

Banned

Well I didn't take Hyouka seriously to begin with so perhaps I wont hit the wall.

I prefer long responses, certainly, but short responses are better than nothing at all.

I s'pose you are right about that.

BTW, my Unico movie DVDs came in the mail! <3 <3 <3.

Reknoc

Caught up on Fate/Zero (19-21). 19 had some really good music. I mean, the series as whole so far has had pretty good music but 19 has been stand out.

Instro

I can't help it that only Fate/Zero and Hyouka really do background art well this season.

Sankarea is still doing this well even in bad episodes. Honestly there is a plethora of shows putting out good background art like E7AO, Tsuritama, etc.

If we're talking about using the full range of talents available in both 2D and 3D, sure. If we're talking about more traditional stuff though, I think Lupin, Tsuritama, E7AO, and some episodes of Saint Seiya Omega all have pretty solid background work.

That was like 2-3 episodes of SSO. Last bunch have been brick walls and an ugly ass tournament stadium lol.

cajunator

Banned
Sankarea is still doing this well even in bad episodes. Honestly there is a plethora of shows putting out good background art like E7AO, Tsuritama, etc.

That was like 2-3 episodes of SSO.

Yeah background art is certainly not any weakness of this Spring crop of shows.

/XX/

/XX/ knows what I'm talking about.
Although, now that I think about it, maybe I'm missing out the opportunity to quadruplicate my post count. I should do it led by the war cry of "all for the glory!"... or something like that.

I tend to read any post about something I've seen already. I may not reply to all of them though.

I don't expect others to do any different though. I enjoy writing impressions myself as its helped me understand why I like or dislike something better than I would otherwise.
Jotting down your impressions sometimes is similar to organizing those in your mind, it helps you see things clearly and understand those better.

And I'd like to comment that I peruse well EVERY page and post (that doesn't escapes my eyes) but only end up reading on its integrity many of those long ones because of time restrictions.
That makes the ramp up of posts at the end of the closing old thread and beginning of the new one a little excruciating, I must say.

Jex

Same. Unless I just HAVE to write a ton I typically don't 'cause it's not worth the effort. :/

Well, regardless of whether or not anyone reads my posts I write them simply because I enjoy the process of putting my thoughts together, as it usually reveals something the show that I didn't realise before.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm not sure if the show has much self-parody to be honest. Ep6 just seems poorly written, much like the first few episodes. Ep4-5 were an exception after all. :(

Episode 6 feels like episodes 1-3 on steroids to me, but I can understand if you found them all equally bad. It's just that I had no idea that there could ever be a mystery that could make "why is the window open in the journalism room?" seem interesting by comparison, but it happened.

Ultimadrago

Although, now that I think about it, maybe I'm missing out the opportunity to quadruplicate my post count. I should do it led by the war cry of "all for the glory!"... or something like that.

That is indeed, the key.

How else do you think cajunator vi Britannia has kept the throne for so long?

I believe in you! Question is, will your conscious allow you to...

cajunator

Banned
Well, regardless of whether or not anyone reads my posts I write them simply because I enjoy the process of putting my thoughts together, as it usually reveals something the show that I didn't realise before.

If I don/t jot down my thoughts to relieve the pressure, my brain will overload and explode. True story.

Jex

But I know already that AKB is shit, why should I waste my time watching the show or reading deep posts why the show is shit?

I read every single post in this thread, regardless of what they're talking about or who the writer is.

Also, AKB0048 isn't 'shit'. It's a show which is really trying to tell a particular type of story about a particular group of characters and (usually) it succeeds in doing so, regardless of whether or not the story and characters are ridiculous.

duckroll

Episode 6 feels like episodes 1-3 on steroids to me, but I can understand if you found them all equally bad. It's just that I had no idea that there could ever be a mystery that could make "why is the window open in the journalism room?" seem interesting by comparison, but it happened.

I don't mean that they're equally bad episodes, just that they have the common thread of poor character writing and contrived mundane situations. Ep6 is definitely the worst one yet.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
&#21270;&#36523;(&#12450;&#12496;&#12479;&#12540;) - &#26368;&#24460;&#12398;&#31354;&#21151;&#32773; 1-4 - Not bad, but people were definitely right that this starts off slow. Only about 4 episodes in, and I barely feel like much of note has happened yet, nor have I gotten a feel for the characters or setting yet.

The direction and animation is certainly competent, but pizzaroll is "right" that the storyboarding is pretty boring compared to a lot of anime, there isn't much that really stands out about the production on a scene-to-scene basis, and the fight scenes have a floaty feel to them, that makes them less interesting then they could be. But one thing that the show definitely gets right is the characters and writing - the dialogue and their interactions feels completely natural and is just a lot of fun to watch them interact amongst themselves, despite not knowing much about any of the characters, I especially liked episode 4 a lot due to that element, despite the "dull" plot of that episode.

So yeah overall - I'm enjoying myself, and I'm excited to hear that it improves as it goes along, going be a good next few weeks!

Jex

&#21270;&#36523;(&#12450;&#12496;&#12479;&#12540;) - &#26368;&#24460;&#12398;&#31354;&#21151;&#32773; 1-4 - Not bad, but people were definitely right that this starts off slow. Only about 4 episodes in, and I barely feel like much of note has happened yet, nor have I gotten a feel for the characters or setting yet.

The direction and animation is certainly competent, but pizzaroll is "right" that the storyboarding is pretty boring compared to a lot of anime, there isn't much that really stands out about the production on a scene-to-scene basis, and the fight scenes have a floaty feel to them, that makes them less interesting then they could be. But one thing that the show definitely gets right is the characters and writing - the dialogue and their interactions feels completely natural and is just a lot of fun to watch them interact amongst themselves, despite not knowing much about any of the characters, I especially liked episode 4 a lot due to that element, despite the "dull" plot of that episode.

So yeah overall - I'm enjoying myself, and I'm excited to hear that it improves as it goes along, going be a good next few weeks!

Maybe I will watch Avatar one day as well.

Jex

That's the name of the first novel, which was adapted into the first arc of the show - that is now over.

The series is called Koten-bu.

Well, from a branding point of view that would probably be confusing. People are stupid and they'd be like 'I've never heard of that work before'.

Oh, I see that I am beaten.

Reknoc

If you're liking it now you'll probably like it throughout. Still need to finish (start in fact) Book 3, but Avatar always seems to glide along the line of being good enough to be enjoyable but never really amazing outside of the odd episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom