• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Maybe it's because I find her development okay, as opposed to atrocious in the way that Pierrot's described it. Honestly, though, she was meant to be a framing device from the start. So long as the following episodes provide their own fair share of interesting scenarios that can work together with developing the L.Y.A. case, that'll be darn good enough. TMS really fucked this series over by not giving it enough of a budget and enough time to finish pre-production effectively, and the fact that you can only develop Fujiko so much is an issue too. But then I remind myself that it could be a lot worse, because the whole series so far has been balancing the main arc with the episodic backbone fairly-well.

I still like it, although it is a glaring point that the titular character is probably the least interesting. I mean people seem to dig Oscar, and he/she hasn't really had that much screen-time throughout the series.

And I agree with Mad Pierrot that there seems to be more suggested by the OP, but in fairness starting with episode 8 it looked to be at least tapping into that somewhat.

I have no problems with it being about "The Woman Named Fujiko Mine", when it's obvious that she's being used as the big link tying everything together. Kind of like an Ayako set-up, except that it'll end up with the regular living! Either way: the OP is pretty accurate in regards to what's probably to come (her bondage as a youth and inability to grow up into an adult).

If anything, there's something ironic about her using the role of Monkey Punch female as a means to an end, insomuch that men think they can fuck with her even though she's almost as good as Lupin in a number of ways.

Sankarea 09
uCw5X.jpg

Plot? What, plot? Or These were worst mysteries than Hyouka's.
But, yeah, a little silly to take whatever plot we were getting last episode, put it on hold and focus on the sister. And then, have them do tell stories which are pretty much like mysteries.
But, I would have to say the last five minutes or so of the episode were the best parts.
Possible zombie mom aspect aside
, I did like little sister breaking her normal emotions and didn't make the episode a total waste of time.

Kazzy

I have no problems with it being about "The Woman Named Fujiko Mine", when it's obvious that she's being used as the big link tying everything together. Kind of like an Ayako set-up, except that it'll end up with the regular living! Either way: the OP is pretty accurate in regards to what's probably to come (her bondage as a youth and inability to grow up into an adult).

If anything, there's something ironic about her using the role of Monkey Punch female as a means to an end, insomuch that men think they can fuck with her even though she's almost as good as Lupin in a number of ways.

Maybe the fact that I'm speaking as a Lupin newcomer probably says something about my criticism. I have nothing to properly contextualise Fujiko, except this series. I'm assuming others will be getting a little more out of it in that regard.

Steroyd

Fujiko was always objectified and used as a deus-ex-machina/betrayal device in all of the old series, simply because she's meant to be the ideal Monkey Punch woman thief, and he loved to play up traditional Western gender spheres in his works a lot. Yamamoto and Okada are playing this up by tying everyone around the case of just who the hell she really is, and whether she can define herself or if she's to forever be defined by Luis Yu Almeida, who presumably tortured in various ways. Either way, Fujiko's determined to destroy her past, both because it haunts her and because she wants to escape her literary chains. Kinda meta, in a peculiar sort of way.

Yeah: 7 was the worst episode by far. It just doesn't work for this kind of Lupin, which is more focused on character relations and intimate scenarios than the higher-concept, crazier set-piece stuff of other Lupin series.

cajunator

Banned
So according to myanimelist.

This is supposed to tell me a Sankarea episode is being delayed.

And this is supposed to tell me that an Acchi Kocchi episode is being delayed

Of course someone who understands moonspeak will tell me that this is a crock of shit, because I NEED MY DAMN SUGAR! And cajun would simply cease to exist.

Lupin III Fuji's tits etc etc - 07

Holy disjointedness batman! They could have handled the time jumping
a whole lot better than that!

Wtfno. I need my fix!!

Kazzy

Lupin III Fuji's tits etc etc - 07

Holy disjointedness batman! They could have handled the time jumping a whole lot better than that!

Yep, the joy of convolution! The pacing was erratic to say the least, felt like they were trying to condense a feature-length storyline into the standard 20 minutes.

Shining Hearts 08
1hwH8.jpg

ARE YOU READY GUYS? PUT YA GUNS ON!
Sorry, once Mr. Good Pirate came onto the scene, that was all I was thinking of.
Something about Rick's bread, more feeding to not so sick girl, why does everyone arrive via washed ashore instead of something normal, Rick's Garlic Onion Bread.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I still like it, although it is a glaring point that the titular character is probably the least interesting. I mean people seem to dig Oscar, and he/she hasn't really had that much screen-time throughout the series.

And I agree with Mad Pierrot that there seems to be more suggested by the OP, but in fairness starting with episode 8 it looked to be at least tapping into that somewhat.

The OP was a verbose and poetic description of Fujiko's underlying psychological compulsions, so I was personally expecting something a little less straightforward and stock backstory-ish than "
Fujiko was raped and molested repeatedly as a kid
" out of the show.
Horror
does not always equal complexity or intrigue, and ultimately it feels like the show is taking a very simple truth and trying to make it appear more multi-layered and ambiguous than it actually is through the use of
the owl imagery and various trippy flashback scenes

I genuinely hope that it's stated at some point that
Fujiko steals because her traumatic childhood taught her just how easy it is to manipulate men through sexuality
and not that
stealing is merely a way to "act out" the fact that she's an incredibly damaged person
. One of these choices relegates her to being a victim trapped in her own past, and in a cast of characters where the males steal, kill, and generally cause mayhem because they enjoy it and profit from it, being the sole female and coincidentally the sole character to steal for "emotional" reasons just seems........kind of sexist.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The OP was a verbose and poetic description of Fujiko's underlying psychological compulsions, so I was personally expecting something a little less straightforward and stock backstory-ish than "
" out of the show.
Horror
does not always equal complexity or intrigue, and ultimately it feels like the show is taking a very simple truth and trying to make it appear more multi-layered and ambiguous than it actually is through the use of

Fujiko steals because her traumatic childhood taught her just how easy it is to manipulate men through sexuality
and not that
stealing is merely a way to "act out" the fact that she's an incredibly damaged person
. One of these choices relegates her to being a victim trapped in her own past, and in a cast of characters where the males steal, kill, and generally cause mayhem because they enjoy it and profit from it, being the sole female and coincidentally the sole character to steal for "emotional" reasons just seems........kind of sexist.

Like I said yesterday, the
sexual trauma
storyline is the easiest short hand for a female character because there
is only one way in which a woman is allowed to have sex in fiction.
:p

More screenshots of Nerawareta Gakuen: http://moca-news.net/article/20120602/201206020000a/01/

Definitely channels Shinkai. I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Lol. Looks so unlike anything else Sunrise or Ryosuke Nakamura has done.

Imitating Shinkai's visual style is certainly not a bad thing in itself, considering how attractive it is. Nor is Sunrise or Ryosuke Nakamura trying something different than they've previously done a bad thing. What would be a bad thing is if the visual style does not appropriately serve the narrative. The synopsis of this story contains the potential of a darker direction than these images indicate, but we'll have to wait for the film to see how it gets handled.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Imitating Shinkai's visual style is certainly not a bad thing in itself, considering how attractive it is. Nor is Sunrise or Ryosuke Nakamura trying something different than they've previously done a bad thing. What would be a bad thing is if the visual style does not appropriately serve the narrative. The synopsis of this story contains the potential of a darker direction than these images indicate, but we'll have to wait for the film to see how it gets handled.

Actually I think a mecha show with shinkai art would be pretty cool, but maybe that's just me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really really hate the fact that I have all the money in the world to have fun with at conventions like that one and NO TIME TO ENJOY IT OR ATTEND BECAUSE I HAVE TO WORK THIS WEEK.
These things never ever fall on my off time. I miss every single fucking one of them ;_;
There's a con every weekend of the year in North America these days though. :p

It's okay. Looks like a fairly-average A-Kon season this June, with lots of VAs and no-one from the actual anime industry in Japan. I'll be there to see if Discotek will be around with advance copies of the new Lupin set!

A-Kon's got a lot of attractions, that said, and it's one of the biggies. Also the longest-running con in the Sunbelt and U.S., for that matter.

I really really hate the fact that I have all the money in the world to have fun with at conventions like that one and NO TIME TO ENJOY IT OR ATTEND BECAUSE I HAVE TO WORK THIS WEEK.
These things never ever fall on my off time. I miss every single fucking one of them ;_;

Quit your job and live the NEET life.

" out of the show.
Horror

and not that
We don't know if she was molested/raped!
Seriously: she was messed with as a child, but we don't know the implications of anything yet. Except that she don't like it.

BluWacky

So Nerawareta Gakuen doesn't seem to be a particularly faithful adaptation of the novel at all, but a "new interpretation". The only character that it appears to have in common with the original story is Kyogoku,
the antagonist

I suppose we shall have to wait and see what that actually means for the story content - the trailer looks lovely at least.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only con I'm tempted to go to is HyperJapan to visit the nico nico douga booth. Don't care about going on my own since I prefer to do thing in my own pace.

Baccano 12-13

These are really stellar episodes. All the plot threads that have been carried through the show across three years and many different locales come to a gripping climax at the same time, with exciting action, excellent animation, and snappy direction. Pretty much every character of significance gets a payoff that feels like they have come to the end of a journey, even if they are about to embark on another one beyond the confines of the show. It's impressive that over only 13 episodes we've been introduced to so many unique, memorable, and lovable (or loathable) characters. I am shocked that something like Baccano got made, which is why it remains one of my very few 10/10 TV shows.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Baccano 12-13

These are really stellar episodes. All the plot threads that have been carried through the show across three years and many different locales come to a gripping climax at the same time, with exciting action, excellent animation, and snappy direction. Pretty much every character of significance gets a payoff that feels like they have come to the end of a journey, even if they are about to embark on another one beyond the confines of the show. It's impressive that over only 13 episodes we've been introduced to so many unique, memorable, and lovable (or loathable) characters. I am shocked that something like Baccano got made, which is why it remains one of my very few 10/10 TV shows.

This was one of the first shows I watched when I was getting back into anime a few years ago, still one of (if not the number one) my favorite shows.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah, because it's too damn bright.

2 characters are holding hands because
they're powering each other up which will stop if they let go. Then they dance while inside the mech.
Getting G Gundam vibes from it.

Also, I'm not sure where the face on the character to the right is.

Tales of the Abyss 4
uYgDu.jpg

Jade interrupts some intimate time.
This episode kind of deviates from the game quite a bit with how pretty much nothing happens at the river, and the whole sequence of events afterwards are all different. but it all ends the same way with Arietta detained, Guy getting a fon disc from Sync. The way they bring up Guy's girl phobia is better foreshadowed in the anime. And Anise's antics are well done. Next up is the boat ride back to Kimlasca.

Tales of the Abyss 4

This episode kind of deviates from the game quite a bit with how pretty much nothing happens at the river, and the whole sequence of events afterwards are all different. but it all ends the same way with Arietta detained, Guy getting a fon disc from Sync. The way they bring up Guy's girl phobia is better foreshadowed in the anime. And Anise's antics are well done. Next up is the boat ride back to Kimlasca.

I remember in the game I loved playing as guy, he was really fun and cool personality. I cant imagine how the characters sound in JPN, Sync was also nice.

Would just watch it for the sake of it looking tons better than on the 3DS.

Uchip

Banned
Tales of the Abyss 4

Anise is one of the reasons I never finished Abyss :|
shes more annoying than cheagles

I remember in the game I loved playing as guy, he was really fun and cool personality. I cant imagine how the characters sound in JPN, Sync was also nice.

Guy was funny, with his gynophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom