• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The flashbacks have been becoming slightly less cryptic and more literal as the series has gone on, to the point that they're now just guys with owl heads mounting her in bed. It feels like this is a deliberate but subtle unraveling of her personal mystery.

What: like one scene?
There are also scenes of her being strapped to a table, getting tooled around with like she was a corpse being used for an autopsy. Remember how she was being bonded by vines in the OP? Who's to say she was sexually-raped yet anyway? And wouldn't she be able to apply what she went through to her thievery, masking it differently to avoid the past? I'm saying we wait until the next episode, because the hints are all over-the-place. Everything's still metaphorical, including the owl-headed freaks (and some at the Loopin forums actually took that literally, disregarding the purposes behind these scenes).

There's no absolute proof that Fujiko was sexually abused, but the imagery in the flashback sequences and the ED really strongly hint at it. I think that it's fair to say that it's rarer for sex to be symbolic of something else than it is for something to be symbolic of sex.
Regardless, I won't be pleased with any scenario in which Fujiko ends up being an "emotional" thief in a world of "logical" or "rational" male thieves. She's always been depicted as a highly-sexualized character, but her body has always been a weapon and not an impairment or liability.

The ED only portrays her as lightly-clothed, young and bare. That doesn't signify sexual assault so much as it shows how vulnerable she is in the series' own perspective, and perhaps in Luis' perspective too. She's definitely being tampered around with by powerful men, even if they are or not better than she is. I don't think she's being shown as a damsel-in-distress, that said. Her past drives her to both avoid and destroy every thought of L.Y.A. she can remember, and it's been the fuel for her to get into thievery. However she was messed with, anyway, she's actually managed to convert those past weaknesses into something useful for the most part, and
Goemon presumably pitching in to help her, knowing that he's also a wanderer
, is a sign that she's almost out of the rabbit hole. None of the characters in this Lupin series are perfect, and their flaws are all easily-apparent in this interconnected saga of sorts. But her body is her greatest weapon even now, and the only one able to throw her for a ride is Lupin—which doesn't count, because Lupin is a motherfucking god amongst men. I think your analysis is inconsiderate of the way she's been shown so far, especially amidst the grand quantity of franchise material noting her ability to depict herself in mirrors and illusions.

I have very limited previous experience with the Lupin franchise, so I understand if there's a big difference in the way that we perceive Fujiko's character. I'm certainly not pretending to be an expert on Fujiko's character, but I think that I would probably feel the same way about her characterization even if I didn't know who she was or if this show wasn't part of a pre-existing franchise.
I have no qualms with the way this is developing, so long as it doesn't go with convention (which it isn't, as far as I'm aware). Actually: this just seems like regular old Fujiko, except that she has one lingering issue to deal with that catches her off-guard every now and then. The way I'm seeing it, there needs to be more information before we can know the full outcome.

duckroll

What do they pay you?

tcXAg.jpg

survivor

Banned
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru 12

No anime, you can't do that. You can't just
pull a sad final episode and make me cry. I'm watching this to laugh, not to feel sad. dat sad montage :( :( :(

Well if it wasn't apparent by the fact I finished this in 2 days, but I really enjoyed watching Soredemo. Great characters, good amount of humour and I have to respect the fact they didn't have any recurring gags.

My gripes are generally with how ugly the backgrounds are. I'm not a visuals expert or anything, but the bland backgrounds, especially the school, really are noticeable. One perfect example would be when Hotori and Sanada skipped school. I believe there was a scene where they switch from their regular ugly backgrounds to a different style ones and you can tell how much better they are. I had some issues with the random cuts but as I kept watching, these problems kinda faded away. Either they improved or I was too busy with the comedy to pay attention.

Oh yeah, Hotori's VA is really great and enhanced her personality. Chiaki Omigawa voice is sex to my ears.

Next Shaft anime I'm watching is either Bakemonogatari or Arakawa Under the Bridge. I'm still undecided on whether to watch a waifu anime or another talky comedy anime.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (2012) ep 1
tumblr_m4yuywWYiA1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The attention to detail to the presentation values is pretty nice. Everything so fresh and clean. The laser fighting in the first battle to the explosions was stylish and cool. Its hard to describe. Only wonky thing was perhaps the way the ship maneuver and fly (way too smooth and such for reality, I think?). I also liked how suspenseful and dire everything seemed. That destruction.

tumblr_m4yvb4HctF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I couldn't get enough of that space map though, something about its presentation or even just the detail makes me want more of it in the future.

tumblr_m4yvhaZ30P1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Characters leave a bit to be desired but Susumo Kodai is quite cool. Im assuming he is the main character, though what role would he play on the Yamato, captain?

Will keep watching. It feels like there is a touch of some retro aspect to the anime, perhaps in just the model designs or the music, but it still feels captivating and fresh for some reason, and really stylish. I want to actually see
if they can manage to destroy these aliens in just 365 days at Pluto as well as recover Earth, and how one ship alone can get it done.

duckroll

Did that just start airing?

Edit: Oh, they aired a preview like Macross Frontier.

No. Even though it's a 26 episode series, it is not airing anywhere. Instead they screen it as part of theatrical events, and then sell them on DVD/BD after that, with English subs.

The Tower of Druaga ~the Aegis of Uruk~ 08
Let's all play Tower of Druaga!
This was a fun episode. Jil, our hero, gets roped into playing the actual version of Tower of Druaga aided by his crew controlling him and a strategy guide. It was fun seeing the game animated with all the different things you have to do in order to clear each floor, there were more vague story elements being revealed here and there as well. The whole concept was amusing and made sense somewhat.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Lupin III - A Woman Named Mine Fujiko

VAEcM.png

"Everything in your life-stealing, eating, and even breathing-has been controlled by others".

Damn this was intense.
Glad we could see more of her past, but man was that crazy.

Tales of the Abyss 5
69E1G.jpg

Poor Guy.
So they just skipped over the Chesedonia part? Seems kind of odd that they would seeing as it plays an important part later in the story but I guess they could just put that stuff when they travel through it later I guess. They also cast Van in a much more sinister light than they did in the game, or maybe the Japanese voice actor is just that much more menacing sounding normally. Dist is also not as funny without his English voice. Oh well, Natalia will finally join the team next episode so I'm excited!
NpkX3.jpg

Natalia is so moe~

duckroll

I wasn't aware that happened. Sounds like someone screwed up.

I dunno what happened, but it's one of the possibilities. Either way, they're probably making good money this way too. Even if it bombs at retail, they probably made money back from overpriced ticket sales.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sakamichi no Apollon 8

Oh, man. This is such an incredible mess. I think I'm going to have to close my eyes and ears and scream "lalalalala" as high as I can while watching the next couple of episodes to be able to deal with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No. Even though it's a 26 episode series, it is not airing anywhere. Instead they screen it as part of theatrical events, and then sell them on DVD/BD after that, with English subs.
So what's the release schedule?

Next Shaft anime I'm watching is either Bakemonogatari or Arakawa Under the Bridge. I'm still undecided on whether to watch a waifu anime or another talky comedy anime.
Hint: they're both talky waifu animes.

duckroll

So what's the release schedule?

7 volumes in total.

Vol1 = 2 eps, Vol2-7 = 4 eps each. They seem to be bi-monthly or something. The first volume was screened in April (ep1-2), while the second volume starts on June 30 (ep3-6). They also sell the blu-rays at the theatrical events, but if you don't go to them, you can only buy them at retail a month later. It's like Gundam Unicorn.

Gaogaigar Final end

JyEU3.jpg

COURAGE! FUCK YEAH!

Okay, now this was excellent. A great display of hot-blooded badassery, a few tense one on one fights, and choreography that places AWESOME above logic. In other words, this was the precursor to Gurren Lagann that I wanted from the beginning. The villain
taking a Broken Magnum at point blank range and then regenerating only to get punched in the chin right away
all while Gai is screaming his lungs out was so damn epic, that if I was in a chair right now, I would have fallen out of the chair and then exploded!

lAKVD.jpg

Impossible to convey in a still image, but what Mic is doing here is using the wires of a bridge as FRIGGIN GUITAR STRINGS! Think about how badass that is!

The whole OVA was up and down, but a lot more consistent than the TV series (maybe by virtue of being shorter). It started out very engaging with
Fake Mamoru destroying shit, leaving you to wonder just what happened since we've seen him last to turn him into a knight templar.
Then after the revelation, it got a little boring for a bit, but was right back to epic by the mid-point and endgame.

I would say this single-handedly makes up for the frequent "eh" of the TV series, so much so that I would recommend people watch through all of it just so they can experience this.

I'm kind of inspired to finish G Gundam now. Should get around to doing that when I get back from LA. But for now, think I've finished everything I need to before heading out.

Eureka Seven AO 8
That was an alright episode, my face when gattai! Hate the development of characters we don't care about, but did enjoy Ao actually smiling and having fun.

But cant wait until
tumblr_m4y4fyprKj1qltwd1o1_500.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But Bake has the better waifus.
2-3 > Senjougahara.

7 volumes in total.

Vol1 = 2 eps, Vol2-7 = 4 eps each. They seem to be bi-monthly or something. The first volume was screened in April (ep1-2), while the second volume starts on June 30 (ep3-6). They also sell the blu-rays at the theatrical events, but if you don't go to them, you can only buy them at retail a month later. It's like Gundam Unicorn.
Man, so it's going to take forever for this whole thing to come out.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
She's an extraordinarily terrible character and harms every scene that she's in. Does anyone actually like her for any reason other than being voiced by Omigawa?
I'm pretty sure she is 50% of the reason I'm still watching E7:AO.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The jury is still out regarding my opinion on Truth, but both he and Elena are ill-fitting characters for the E7 universe. His saving grace right now is that, unlike Elena, he's not in the show solely to be a character that otaku can identify with, although he is conspicuously bishounen.

Mind Game

My mind just became Masaaki Yuasa, and it was all—just a game!

I loved this. Sure: it was rough around the edges, especially since I stopped and started a lot to let the visuals sink in, but the film is quite a remarkable debut for the animator. All that happened that anyone can be sure of is the character development, but all of the crazy surreal sequences, the visual mendaciousness that Yuasa injected into the film on a level that surely can't be good for ones health!—yeah, that was something else. Great way to take a simple scenario and out-do Anno at his own little mind-game.

I see they have improved the usage of that shading filter significantly. Looks so much better.
Ever since episode 3, really. The shading's now largely dependent on the mental state of the characters, I think, because you see those coarser marks in rough scenes, and the finer line shading in more sedate areas and what-not.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But aren't they all 2D in that universe? Wouldn't it be otaku of her to like 3D people?

I'd just like to think that everything is 2D in a 2D world, including the anime. When you're already the perfect evolution of the human aesthetic*, animated characters don't need to be drawn differently from real life!

tongue is FIRMLY in cheek

Nah, gotta be 1D

Elena knows a little something about one-dimensional characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom