• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Cystm

Ragefire Chasm was basically everything that was in Wow dungeons as far as design goes so the comparison made here is more than apt.

neil-o.gif

Dina

Hammer Station and Athiss are the weakest Flashpoints, imo. Especially Athiss. It gets better in Cademimu and Mandalorian Raiders is 'okay'. When you get to Taral V and Maelstrom Prison, it picks up.

Imperial Agent here who wants to spec in healing from the Operative skill tree. What path should I take?

This is where I'm at at level 31 http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401MffbzG0oz.1 and I'll be aiming for http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#401MffbzGRRzsZMfZh.1 at cap. Once you hit level 20 and pick up Kolto Probe healing becomes much easier, and as you pick up Medical Engineering, Patient Studies and Surgical Probe on your way to 30 the game changes again and your life becomes much easier.

How is leveling in a healing spec? I do fine with my tanking spec, but how is life as a healing Operative or Sage or Commando?

I've found leveling (currently 31) as a medicine spec Operative very enjoyable. I just have Kaliyo in her tanking stance and I go about backstabbing and shiving the enemies, throwing a 2 stack of hots on Kaliyo and using my instant cone-aoe which requires tactical advantage (think combo points) if there are multiple enemies.

I've also found that I can easily solo the 2 man heroic quests with a mixture of sleep dart (saps) and companion tanking which has sped up my questing.

Dina

I've found leveling (currently 31) as a medicine spec Operative very enjoyable. I just have Kaliyo in her tanking stance and I go about backstabbing and shiving the enemies, throwing a 2 stack of hots on Kaliyo and using my instant cone-aoe which requires tactical advantage (think combo points) if there are multiple enemies.

I've also found that I can easily solo the 2 man heroic quests with a mixture of sleep dart (saps) and companion tanking which has sped up my questing.

That is good news, thanks. Backstabbing Operative it is, after I lvl my Trooper to the max.

Because it makes no sense at all to walk around in the outfit in the screenshot quoted when going into combat and doing what players do in the game. It does nothing but objectifying women as a sexual object for the male player and its really quite embarrassing to look at if you are a normal adult male.

Wallach

That is good news, thanks. Backstabbing Operative it is, after I lvl my Trooper to the max.

I'd pretty much echo what he said; I'm playing a Smuggler of the same spec, and it plays out much the same for me. Either tranq/slice and isolate while mostly healing Corso, or grenade/HoTs/blaster cone for the weaker large packs.

Only thing I would say is to gear your companion well. Makes the biggest difference for a healer than any other class. If their gear is weak, not only will they do less damage, but they'll take more, making you spend more in combat time healing them. You'll feel it immediately if their gear starts to fall behind.

Tacitus_

I think I just fucked some NPC...
I got a dark side choice "Show me the compound", we walk offscreen, there's a rumbling noice and after we come out, she says that "... that was nice, unexpected, but... nice".

It's good to be bad.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I'd pretty much echo what he said; I'm playing a Smuggler of the same spec, and it plays out much the same for me. Either tranq/slice and isolate while mostly healing Corso, or grenade/HoTs/blaster cone for the weaker large packs.

Only thing I would say is to gear your companion well. Makes the biggest difference for a healer than any other class. If their gear is weak, not only will they do less damage, but they'll take more, making you spend more in combat time healing them. You'll feel it immediately if their gear starts to fall behind.
Its funny you mention this because i had forgotten to upgrade my companion and it dawned on me that i hadnt given her anything new for 1/2 a planet. Companion gear as a healer makes a huge difference.

Dina

Good one. My companion usually walks around in second-hand but still pretty high level gear. It also works out well because the first (in fact, almost every) Trooper companion is some sort of Trooper-subset, so the gear that you use can be put on almost every other companion as well.

Apart from droids of course.

Moaradin

I just finished Tatooine. What an amazing planet. They definitely did it justice. The place is just huge.

jn7KhuSIbY7Fe.png

j8tVPaMnw0Yx.png

jMpIp1DKtPW9i.png

Of course, it isn't Tatooine without a Sarlaac Pit.
j3mEd7jIoYg7Z.png

Got a nice armor set from doing the heroics with a friend.
jA7tB6MjFepuL.png

oneils

How do I force AA?
THIS CURRENTLY DOESN'T WORK FOR ATI/AMD GRAPHICS CARDS
Under
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings
go to client_settings and add:
AntiAliasingLevel = 8

I have tried to access this file, but when I go to my user folder it is empty. Anyone know how to fix that?

The folder is set to read only. I have tried a million things to fix it (turn off UAC, run a -r cmd, set ownership in permissions etc...). Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: If I manually type in the address in explorer I can get the folder. So I navigated to C:\Users\user and then in the address bar added "\AppData" That was the only way for me to access the folder.

rakhir

I have tried to access this file, but when I go to my user folder it is empty. Anyone know how to fix that?

The folder is set to read only. I have tried a million things to fix it (turn off UAC, run a -r cmd, set ownership in permissions etc...). Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: If I manually type in the address in explorer I can get the folder. So I navigated to C:\Users\user and then in the address bar added "\AppData" That was the only way for me to access the folder.
You have to check 'show hidden files' in your folder options.

I'm trying to decide which crew skills to do on my alt Marauder, my main Sniper has Scavenging, Underworld Trading, and Cybertech. I was debating either Biochem, Artifice, or Synthweaving. Biochem for the obvious benefit of potions, but I was wondering how useful Artifice or Synthweaving are? Anyone have any opinions on them?

Can someone tell me how long its going to take to actually start playing the game?

I bought a physical copy so need to install the game, then how much additional downloading is there?

Is it going to take 2-3 hours from opening the box to playing the game?

markatisu

OK I turned AA on for my brother (via the ini) on his Nvidia, but now the holograms do not show up. I know I saw this mentioned before but I can't remember if there was a way to fix it or if this was just a side effect of the forced AA

w2000

Can someone tell me how long its going to take to actually start playing the game?

I bought a physical copy so need to install the game, then how much additional downloading is there?

I bought the physical copy and after the install is only had a 200 Meg download and a few little files so it doesn't take long. Install took longer because of .rar files lol.

Realyn

Thinking about picking it up after all ... My biggest concerns from previews, beta and so on:

-Combat system looked too simple.
-Not really SP, not really a MMORPG either.
-PvP looked awful.
-Well thats basically point 2 but I hated this "on the rails" space minigame. How awesome would some REAL space fighting be ...

So yeah, what is your feeling? Is it a real MMORPG where you interract with alot of people and can pvp be fixed?(I´m thinking of DAoC)

Edit: Read something about server downtimes some days ago, thats fine for me ... heck its normal for a MMORPG.

Edit the second: And hows the difficulty? Ofc you wont going to die on level1. But whats about lvl 10 and 20 ? Are there good quests/dungeon you actually need a communicating group for?

jaaz

How long is the average raid, eh... flashpoint? Level 15 at Courascant and haven't done one yet, and they are building fast on my quest log. Have no desire to be tied to my screen for 2 hours. Brings back bad WoW MC memories.

OTIX

OK I turned AA on for my brother (via the ini) on his Nvidia, but now the holograms do not show up. I know I saw this mentioned before but I can't remember if there was a way to fix it or if this was just a side effect of the forced AA
Quoting myself.

Setting AA in the ini makes certain things invisible for me in the game, like holograms. Forcing AA through the Inspector (560 Ti) doesn't have the same problem but it doesn't work at all unless I turn off Bloom. It also doesn't work on certain items like tree foliage unless I turn on transparency supersampling which tanks my framerate from 100 fps to 40. Even without transparency ss it still looks infinitely better than no AA and there's no noticable fps hit so it's a good compromise for now.

How long is the average raid, eh... flashpoint? Level 15 at Courascant and haven't done one yet, and they are building fast on my quest log. Have no desire to be tied to my screen for 2 hours. Brings back bad WoW MC memories.

Flashpoints are the equivalent of regular dungeons or instances, not raids. The equivalent of raids are called operations.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Flashpoints are the equivalent of regular dungeons or instances, not raids. The equivalent of raids are called operations.
Also note that if you get too high a level for a flashpoint, you'll get minimal XP for finishing it. Many are worth doing for the awesome story bits though.

Blitzzz

got to coruscant and finally used the GTN..... wow it sucks. The drop down filtering is extremely inefficient

also, is there a way to split items up? ie. auction 20 instead of a stack of 47 or something?

Duffyside

Banned
So know how this game had those rad trailers made by that one company that makes amazing CGI trailers for almost every big game these days? Does the game itself have any more of those, or were all those just for marketing?

how big is this game? in terms of gigs

I bought the game from origin, still downloading or patching from last night :(.

Done with 20gigs , now 5gig from English assets? ugh

Kinan

also, is there a way to split items up? ie. auction 20 instead of a stack of 47 or something?

Shift+ Drag into other inventory slot to split.

Soloed Herioc 2+ quest in Nar Shadaa spacesport yesterday. Finally a bit of challenge. Had only problem with 1 fight - 2 elites+1 strong. 60s CC is quite a powerful tool.

So know how this game had those rad trailers made by that one company that makes amazing CGI trailers for almost every big game these days? Does the game itself have any more of those, or were all those just for marketing?

There is only the 3, they are in game though as they are the games opening cinematic, and the other two are used as the Republic or Empire opening intro video.

Tacitus_

Depends on your connection speed. It was under a gig of downloading.

mik83kuu

Banned
Was playing with a terrible headache the other day and skipped 99% of the dialogue in Dramun Kaas (or w/e it's called) and today I decided to start a new character and replay it. I'm loving my female Sith Juggernaut even more than my previous male BH.

I'm really into getting 'everything done' in games so I'm disappointed some of the Korriban codex stuff is bugged :-(

Top Bottom