• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Zafir

Turn shadows to low (or if that doesn't work, off), that should fix it. I tried exerimentig with a plethora of different combinations, but it was as simple as leaving everything else on high and turning shadows down. Obviously it defends on your computer, but shadows are killing even decent ones, even with other settings turned right down.
Yeah, that's what I did, made it much more tolerable. Really shouldn't happen considering I can play all other games on high or full settings, but oh well.

TheYanger

Shrug, always pick a bustling server initially, it pays off once queues are sorted out. I'm on the 7th most populated pvp server according to stats I've seen and it has never been an issue finding groups for quests.

Moaradin

To expand further upon this: No LFG tool so no one is running Flashpoints, I've asked 3 times today if anyone wants to do heroics with no response and servers are incredibly instanced (about 100 players a instance) in planets that are HUGE some twice the size of your typical WoW zone.

Have you been to the Imperial Fleet? That is the main hub of the game and there is constantly 150+ players there looking for groups, with no instances. All the flashpoints are there so there is no need for travel or LFG tools.

SLV

I just hate my fucking country >.<

IoKzC.jpg

EDarkness

People who say that the WoW forums are crap, need to read the SWTOR's forums. The guys there are a defensive bunch and will go on and on about how someone's opinion is wrong. It derails threads and really makes me not want to read that forum at all. It was alright in beta up until the last couple of week when it started going downhill. Right now it's horrible. The community is horrible. It's so bad that people have to preface their posts with "I really love the game, but..." and that's fuggin' wrong. If they don't do that, then they're going to get flamed and treated like crap. I never really saw this on the WoW forums and I post there just about every day and have been since vanilla beta.

Kinda reminds me of the FFXIV forums. Those guys need to realize that not everyone will like the game and to let people have their opinion. The mods should enforce this as well.

EDarkness

Have you been to the Imperial Fleet? That is the main hub of the game and there is constantly 150+ players there looking for groups, with no instances. All the flashpoints are there so there is no need for travel or LFG tools.

Isn't this the same as sitting in Stormwind or Iornforge looking for a group? This is why they need a looking for group channel that's global or a LFG tool. I generally sit in the main city and not the fleet, but by doing so there's no real way to get a group together.

Spookie

Kinda reminds me of the FFXIV forums. Those guys need to realize that not everyone will like the game and to let people have their opinion. The mods should enforce this as well.

Clearly you've never seen the previous threads on how bad/creepy Bioware, err, fans can be.

TheYanger

Where are you getting server population figures from?

http://www.torstatus.net/
not figures per se. they're changing rapidly too since it's been out so short a time that each day makes a big difference.

I've found assembling groups usually requires a team effort to be quick and painless - get another person and then have one on the fleet and one on the level appropriate planet, or both on planets. You will get groups FAR faster by visiting where people are questing than by sitting on the fleet alone generally. IE: I need a group for Maelstrom, I go hit up Hoth and Quesh.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished Act 1 as Imperial Agent. Holy shit. This is the best story in a Bioware game in years. I rate Act 1 alone with better writing than anything Bioware has done since KOTOR, probably even that. Can't wait until I get into Act 2.

Cool I guess. I am about to leave Hutta as an Imperial Agent and I am not at all impressed so far. Maybe that is just the prologue though? Really hope it gets better.

ACE 1991

so would it be possible to just drag and drop the SWTOR files onto my desktop after downloading them on my laptop? The wireless receiver I have for desktop is slow as hell, so I wanted to download the mammoth SWTOR files on my speedier laptop.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
so would it be possible to just drag and drop the SWTOR files onto my desktop after downloading them on my laptop? The wireless receiver I have for desktop is slow as hell, so I wanted to download the mammoth SWTOR files on my speedier laptop.

I';ve not finished downloading yet, but I started downloading on the laptop, then installed the patcher on my desktop and let it update, copied and replaced the programs files folder and the patcher did the rest.

EDarkness

Clearly you've never seen the previous threads on how bad/creepy Bioware, err, fans can be.

They can be strange, for sure, but I post and read the official Dragon Age and Mass Effect forums on Bioware's social site and they never appeared to be this bad. The SWTOR forums are so bad I can't even read them anymore. They're horrible.

SLV

So does anyone know, how long after adding a mobile authenticator, the security key vendor becomes usable ?

Does anyone know of a way to unbind the toggle for "ambiance"? It's set to Ctrl + A by default and it's not in the keybindings tab at all in any section. It's preventing me from using Ctrl + keybinds since they won't work if I'm pressing A because the ambiance is being toggled off and on instead of my skill being used.

EDarkness

Can't imagine anything being worse than topics about Tali's sweat and what it tastes like.

I avoided those threads because they were going to be obvious creep fests. Can't say that about the SWTOR forums. I started reading a thread about how someone didn't like something and it always turns into a bunch of fans telling him/her how their opinion sucks and they're trolls, etc. Ugh. It's bad. Forums are places where people can state their opinion about the game (good or bad) and players should be able to do this within reason. Some people are obvious trolls, but this can't be true for everyone. Those guys won't let any negative thread go without pages and pages of berating the OP and anyone who agrees with them. Why Bioware doesn't do anything about this is baffling. Praise is good, but so is negative feedback. The fans of the game are on a whole new level of damage control.

Won

Ha, the game just threw me in a Warzone with at least 2-3 level 50 emps. Of course no one on my team was higher then 40.

So I just made an Imperial Agent on Kellers, I'd like to add the character to the guild. Her name is Muri.

Heard great things about the IA storyline, and I'm kind of getting sick of my Inquisitor.

Duesy

Has anyone had any experience dealing with customer support?

I locked myself out of my account because I had an authenticator on my iPhone and had to restore it. So now I don't have a working authenticator.

Thoraxes

I avoided those threads because they were going to be obvious creep fests. Can't say that about the SWTOR forums. I started reading a thread about how someone didn't like something and it always turns into a bunch of fans telling him/her how their opinion sucks and they're trolls, etc. Ugh. It's bad. Forums are places where people can state their opinion about the game (good or bad) and players should be able to do this within reason. Some people are obvious trolls, but this can't be true for everyone. Those guys won't let any negative thread go without pages and pages of berating the OP and anyone who agrees with them. Why Bioware doesn't do anything about this is baffling. Praise is good, but so is negative feedback. The fans of the game are on a whole new level of damage control.

It was at moments like these that I realized that MMO forums are always horrible places to post. The WoW forums used to be like that, but instead you're wrong if you're not saying that Blizzard doesn't care about WoW, WoW isn't horrible, etc. I fear for when SWTOR turns into that, but it's nice to see a fanbase be volatile in one direction for once.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with customer support? 
I locked myself out of my account because I had an authenticator on my iPhone and had to restore it. So now I don't have a working authenticator.
Not yet, and they really should give you a way to remove a key from your account. Currently, I beleiev there's no way to do this (since I last checked).

EDarkness

It was at moments like these that I realized that MMO forums are always horrible places to post. The WoW forums used to be like that, but instead you're wrong if you're not saying that Blizzard doesn't care about WoW, WoW isn't horrible, etc. I fear for when SWTOR turns into that, but it's nice to see a fanbase be volatile in one direction for once.

I play or have played pretty much every big MMO out there (except Warhammer... I hate PvP) and it's true that MMO forums in general suck, but there's generally some balance. There's pretty much none of that at the moment on the SWTOR forums. If you post that your game is lagging, then you can bet that you're gonna get a bunch of posts saying it's your fault the game is lagging and it isn't worth jumping on Bioware about the problem. It's all kinds of messed up. I've posted a couple times about this issue on the forums there and they keep saying it's not them, but an over abundance of trolls that need to be weeded out, but that's not what I'm seeing. It's just their way of justifying the harsh treatment of detractors.

The WoW forums have had their ups and downs, but I've never felt like I couldn't post there for whatever reason. I still post on the WoW Damage Dealing forums and even though they can get into some crazy arguments about who's right, there's balance on both sides and that's fine in my book.

I play or have played pretty much every big MMO out there (except Warhammer... I hate PvP) and it's true that MMO forums in general suck, but there's generally some balance. There's pretty much none of that at the moment on the SWTOR forums. If you post that your game is lagging, then you can bet that you're gonna get a bunch of posts saying it's your fault the game is lagging and it isn't worth jumping on Bioware about the problem. It's all kinds of messed up. I've posted a couple times about this issue on the forums there and they keep saying it's not them, but an over abundance of trolls that need to be weeded out, but that's not what I'm seeing. It's just their way of justifying the harsh treatment of detractors.

The WoW forums have had their ups and downs, but I've never felt like I couldn't post there for whatever reason. I still post on the WoW Damage Dealing forums and even though they can get into some crazy arguments about who's right, there's balance on both sides and that's fine in my book.

This is why I make my home in the WoW thread here mostly. Going to the official forums is painful (and you can't discuss if you're not currently subbed either.) The discussion here is usually pretty good. I catch the highlights with the Blue Tracker on MMO-Champion anyway.

Shrug, always pick a bustling server initially, it pays off once queues are sorted out. I'm on the 7th most populated pvp server according to stats I've seen and it has never been an issue finding groups for quests.

When I pick this up sometime in the next week, I'll probably be on the GAF server mainly, but if I want to play on a PvP server, I'll roll on wherever you are.

No one was able to get a full flashpoint group together earlier on my server no matter the level. It can be really weird sometimes.

Republic? The population balance is obviously skewed, and takes longer to get into flashpoints on the republic side. On Empire I get into stuff immediately, but on republic I have to sit around and really try to get people to group up, and the station on Rep side just seems so bare while its bustling for the Empire.

Sethos

Banned
Slowly growing more bored of the game. I think I'm not the only one who wanted to get away from WoW but damn, I think MMOs in general are a dead chapter for me. They all play exactly the same, they all feel like they just want you to walk a million miles for some arbitrary crap and just kill thousands of things ... The story element isn't really helping, quite the contrary actually. I have two monitors and playing an MMO is just a side-business on one monitor, now I just lose so much if I were to play without audio and just watch a movie on the other monitor.

The last 4 hours I've been standing in some random place looking at a wall, doing Slicing. I just don't feel like levelling, I don't feel like theres's anything at the top I want to achieve. ( Watching literately hundreds of "LFGs" )

Guess I'm the only one dead in the water ...

I have two monitors and playing an MMO is just a side-business on one monitor, now I just lose so much if I were to play without audio and just watch a movie on the other monitor.

Don't you get this same issue with single player games too then? Kinda hard to pay attention to both

Sethos

Banned
Don't you get this same issue with single player games too then? Kinda hard to pay attention to both

Not really, not games that require any sort of attention. Plus, in the rare case I do play something that requires my full attention it gets it. Some sporadic quests that are voiced and then 30 minutes of running and killing will not get my full attention.

Darklord

Banned
I kinda wish I went Imperial Agent now for the story. I'm enjoying Bounty Hunter and the story but people seem to fucking LOVE that story line and I want to know why dammit!

Edit: How BIG is this game? I wanted to check what companions you get and there are 5, I've got 1 and I'm 35 hours in! Did I miss some or is this game really that big? How many acts are there?

zulfate

Slowly growing more bored of the game. I think I'm not the only one who wanted to get away from WoW but damn, I think MMOs in general are a dead chapter for me. They all play exactly the same, they all feel like they just want you to walk a million miles for some arbitrary crap and just kill thousands of things ... The story element isn't really helping, quite the contrary actually. I have two monitors and playing an MMO is just a side-business on one monitor, now I just lose so much if I were to play without audio and just watch a movie on the other monitor.

The last 4 hours I've been standing in some random place looking at a wall, doing Slicing. I just don't feel like levelling, I don't feel like theres's anything at the top I want to achieve. ( Watching literately hundreds of "LFGs" )

Guess I'm the only one dead in the water ...

how does guild wars 2 sound to you?

I kinda wish I went Imperial Agent now for the story. I'm enjoying Bounty Hunter and the story but people seem to fucking LOVE that story line and I want to know why dammit!

Edit: How BIG is this game? I wanted to check what companions you get and there are 5, I've got 1 and I'm 35 hours in! Did I miss some or is this game really that big? How many acts are there?

The game takes quite a while, of course it depends on how you play your MMOs also. Its supposed to take quite a while. You can't miss companions though, they are part of your class story in how they are introduced, so long as you continue advancing through the class story, you will find them.

zulfate

Haven't really read much about it, I wasn't too fond of the first Guild Wars but GW2 looks decent.

no joke...it doesnt have any real similarity's to the first guild wars and they are aiming at breaking the MMO mold for sure....very impressive stuff they are doing.

here is the neogaf thread on it, it has a ton of info if you havent notice it
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440171

i forgot to say that swtor looks like a game i would play but something seems off about it i cant quite put a finger on it, maybe the running animation or the emptiness of it? i dont know but i really want to try it at the same time...arg! wish it had a trial :/

CzarTim

I got the VIP republic army uniform even though I don't wear light armor. I have too much money.

edit: Soul Caliber

I mean seriously BW, gross. mmos! :-/

I must now do a warzone in this getup.

Anno

Anyone playing a healing focused Sage? Hows it working? I'm level 13 at the moment and have only grouped for the Esseless FP. I still love the class, even if I wish there were more lightsaber focused skills.

falastini

Where can I get that Bobba Fett helmet?
The grey one was either a random drop or quest reward. I don't remember. Either way, you can get the white one with pvp points at 40, and it's completely moddable. I wish there was on option to turn helm off during convos.. I miss seeing my toon's facial reactions.

Top Bottom