• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Emitan

jcKoMVq6f9y2.PNG

Conversation overheard between two republic soldiers on Hoth!

Was one of them fat?

mcrae

To expand further upon this: No LFG tool so no one is running Flashpoints, I've asked 3 times today if anyone wants to do heroics with no response and servers are incredibly instanced (about 100 players a instance) in planets that are HUGE some twice the size of your typical WoW zone.

ya, why is this? outdoor areas in WoW were never instanced, right? like the barrens or ashenvale forest or whatever

Morn

Banned
ya, why is this? outdoor areas in WoW were never instanced, right? like the barrens or ashenvale forest or whatever

Nope. They used a middleware engine for TOR that was developed back when instancing was the tech of the future, thus we get dead worlds.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is it just my comp or does Taris run horrendously. The framerate is so much choppier compared to Coruscant.

mcrae

Nope. They used a middleware engine for TOR that was developed back when instancing was the tech of the future, thus we get dead worlds.

whats middlewear mean?

and either way, the game came out like what, 6 years after WoW did right? wtf

Won

Republic? The population balance is obviously skewed, and takes longer to get into flashpoints on the republic side. On Empire I get into stuff immediately, but on republic I have to sit around and really try to get people to group up, and the station on Rep side just seems so bare while its bustling for the Empire.

Obviously plays a role and I need to check out the other side sometimes in the future. The queues must have come from somewhere afterall.

I just hope Bioware just doesn't downplay these issues for too long.

Calidor

I don't get what Slicing is. I'm a lvl 17 Gunslinger and when I slice a droid he is just stunned. No credits made from that... what am I missing?

lvl 29 170k and all i do is slice. It essentially makes money a non issue and I buy stuff frequently.

Damn it. I'm always broke. I went with armstech, scavenging and investigation. Selling crafting materials on the Galactic trade network brings in some money but for the most part, crafting is expensive. I'd hate to give up on the progression I've already made.

I don't get what Slicing is. I'm a lvl 17 Gunslinger and when I slice a droid he is just stunned. No credits made from that... what am I missing?

That's not the same slicing. Slicing is also a crew skill and you send companions on slicing missions that, apparently, involve just bringing back cash.

ACE 1991

Just put in three hours. So far, I've gotta say that this is the best version of World of Warcraft since World of Warcraft, and I mean that as both criticism and praise.

I see, I didn't get the skill for my companion at first. Can I respec my merc and get it now?

You gain crew skills by talking to the crew skill trainers; their icon on the map looks like a diamond I believe. You get a gathering, crafting and mission skill. Slicing would be your gathering skill. The op has a good description of the systems and skills. You can drop the skill and switch it to a new one at any time I think but I believe you lose all progression in the skill you drop.

mik83kuu

Banned
I'm loving the game alot, but here are some concerns I have going forward:

- Slicing ruins the economy. All that free easy money is going to be terrible in the long run. I still do it, but I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't.

- I'm in Balmorra and there are just way too many quests so I'm getting slightly bored. Level-wise I shouldn't be there anymore and all my class quests there are done, but I'm a completionist so... Yeah I guess I'm ruining it for myself, really.

- Space missions can be really fun and entertaining, but they are too long! I hate it when I have all goals completed and I still have to derp around for two minutes...

- The instancing hasn't been a problem for me and I keep seeing lots Of other players. I hope it stays that way and that I keep leveling the same speed as others.

Also today we killed a heroic world boss in Balmorra and both of the purple drops were for me and me alone. Too bad I had died and released so I didn't get the codex entry and the loot master was unable to give me any items. Now people are vendoring my off-hand item and stripping all mods from the boots and re-modding them. Yay!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
You don't have to respec so often. Pick something and stick with it

What's the fun in that? I picked a class that had two options for the purpose of playing both options. I shouldn't be punished for it.

I spent thousands of gold on respecs alone in WoW before dual-spec came along on my mage. I could manage it on that game, and I hope I can do it here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is Slicing some MMORPG term that I somehow never picked up on in my long years playing MMORPGs?

Wallach

Is Slicing some MMORPG term that I somehow never picked up on in my long years playing MMORPGs?

No, Slicing is one of the gathering crew skills. Some missions you can send crew members on bring back credit lockboxes rather than crafting materials.

vaelic

Banned
What's the fun in that? I picked a class that had two options for the purpose of playing both options. I shouldn't be punished for it.

I spent thousands of gold on respecs alone in WoW before dual-spec came along on my mage. I could manage it on that game, and I hope I can do it here.

What a waste of time

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, Slicing is one of the gathering crew skills. Some missions you can send crew members on bring back credit lockboxes rather than crafting materials.

Ah, interesting. It's a Gathering skill then? I had better go train that asap.

bill0527

I got a Razer Naga for Christmas. I'm having a lot of trouble using the buttons on the side. I'm always hitting the wrong button. Does anyone who has this mouse recommend sticking on some of the nub trainers on certain buttons til I get used to the button layouts?

falastini

If every class in the game was hybrid, I would be ok with this, but they're not. It would be unfair to allow them to swap between different roles on the fly, when other classes are regulated to one. I wouldn't mind dual specs being put into the game, but with some limitations applied... not the WoW version.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
If every class in the game was hybrid, I would be ok with this, but they're not. It would be unfair to allow them to swap between different roles on the fly, when other classes are regulated to one. I wouldn't mind dual specs being put into the game, but with some limitations applied... not the WoW version.

I'm not asking for them to take the cost away. Just make it a bit less punishing.

but lets be honest here, there will be no change to it. the high cost means more time investing to gather the credits. so in the end, my complaints mean nothing

in all likelyhood, i won't bother playing this game once i catch up with the end content for the story stuff, as the pvp is pretty borked too. good thing the story is pretty fun for the JK

oneils

Anyone know how I can check how many times I have died in game, or how many hours I have played?

Guild Wars had commands like /age and /death to let you know. Those don't work, however. I know it is silly, but I like to see things like this.

fenners

Anyone know how I can check how many times I have died in game, or how many hours I have played?

Guild Wars had commands like /age and /death to let you know. Those don't work, however. I know it is silly, but I like to see things like this.

/played will give you your in-game time.

falastini

The cost doesn't seem that bad to me tbh, granted I've only respecced 3 times, but it was something like free, 800, 5k? Also take into account that the costs are probably balanced with level 50s in mind. So, while those credits might seem big at your level, they become more insignificant as you level up. I remember thinking 200k speeder was a lot. Then I hit 40 with 400k (w/o slicing).

Ixian

I got a Razer Naga for Christmas. I'm having a lot of trouble using the buttons on the side. I'm always hitting the wrong button. Does anyone who has this mouse recommend sticking on some of the nub trainers on certain buttons til I get used to the button layouts?

I didn't even know that there are nub trainers for the Naga, haha. In my opinion, you just need to keep at it until you develop the muscle memory for it. I find my Naga to be an invaluable tool now.

Top Bottom