• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well I'm dropping my BH to roll an IA due to the story praise (after i beat it with the SW).

So... sniper vs operative? :D

imo Operative. You can choose either healing or dps spec so you arent contained to just one role. As either you can do great in PvE (healing spec you can solo a lot of the Heroic 4 content. PvP is kind of painful as healing until 16 (i think its 16) and dps is excruciating until 36.

erragal

imo Operative. You can choose either healing or dps spec so you arent contained to just one role. As either you can do great in PvE (healing spec you can solo a lot of the Heroic 4 content. PvP is kind of painful as healing until 16 (i think its 16) and dps is excruciating until 36.

I was doing fine as DPS last night at 30. I actually dropped healing because I found it really ineffectual in warzone situations; I couldn't keep people up in the situations it mattered and maintenence healing is mind-numbing. Coincidence or not we won our only two warzones that I was dps in as well.

Garryk

The route I took was Biochem Sniper. You do ridiculous damage and Kaliyo can take a beating as long as you keep her gear upgraded. Biochem gives med packs that will heal you and your companion. If you get to the point where you are still going to die then you pulled too much.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I was doing fine as DPS last night at 30. I actually dropped healing because I found it really ineffectual in warzone situations; I couldn't keep people up in the situations it mattered and maintenence healing is mind-numbing. Coincidence or not we won our only two warzones that I was dps in as well.

Yeah, until you get Surgical Probe - it's tough to be super effective at healing as an operative at high level / tough encounters.

Dorrin

I've been bouncing back and forth between my 21 Commando healer and my 18 Sniper. All this story praise is making think I should just pick the Sniper and play him through till the end.

antonz

Just dont get too attached to IA or Smugglers. They are gonna be hit with nerfbats that rival a death star superlaser

iNvid02

ok so my copy should be here in a few days but i've never really played mmo's much

how would you guys recommend i approach this, i just wanna have fun and kill shit,
not particularly interested in doing boring stuff, the more killing the merrier though

i guess i should go for sith right

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just dont get too attached to IA or Smugglers. They are gonna be hit with nerfbats that rival a death star superlaser
That would be a huge mistake. Single target burst dps from stealth is all they bring to PvP. The problem is with Expertise and Surge. Even then it works both ways now. i hear plenty of now that people have 1k Expertise that the large opening ambush isnt a concern any longer.

Finished Balmorra in two days, and onto Nar Shaddaa at level 21, go me! However, I didn't really do any of the multiparty quest stuff there, any of them really interesting, or are they kinda...there?

Also, how overleveled should you be to solo a multiparty quest?

Pro tip: Don't misspell your security question. That bit me in the ass last night after my computer crashed, I had to answer a security question. Tried to guess the misspelling 5 times, got it wrong, and got locked out. Had to call customer service, that was awesome.

JWong

Banned
Finished Balmorra in two days, and onto Nar Shaddaa at level 21, go me! However, I didn't really do any of the multiparty quest stuff there, any of them really interesting, or are they kinda...there?

Also, how overleveled should you be to solo a multiparty quest?

Pretty much to the point where you dodge all their attacks. So 10 levels higher.

You can't take on 4 elite mobs with just 3 levels higher.

What video card do you have in there? I have a friend interested in the game who only has a laptop option, but is unsure whether he could get it to run.

Its an ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250 and i'm running it in a HP-G62 it has a 2.4 Ghz dual core Turion with 4 gigs of ram.

Not a gaming PC at all and like I said it struggles but its playable until I can get my new rig built.

Realyn

So, like I posted yesterday I decided to stay with dark I because my female chick looks way to hot with those orange eyes.

But now i just found my first relict, which needs light II :x. Do all relicts need light/dark II and so on ?

So, like I posted yesterday I decided to stay with dark I because my female chick looks way to hot with those orange eyes.

But now i just found my first relict, which needs light II :x. Do all relicts need light/dark II and so on ?

I once picked a lock box on accident instead of armor or commendation for a quest reward. I received a light side lightsaber. I wanted to punch the quest giver. That was time #153 that I wanted to go back to a previous save.

TheYanger

They don't. Republic gets a different..uhm perspective? of the event.
The Republic saves him from the imprisonment and after that the Empire goes to kill him

Not only that
The republic version of the events is Telos V and Maelstrom Prison, you go in and Revan has been held prisoner by the emperor for hundreds of years siphoning his power, and the one that helps you find him and is constantly talking to you is a Jedi ghost...which Revan explains is the Exile, the main character from Kotor 2 ;) It's pretty nerdtastic for a kotor fan. Also if you never paid attention beyond the games, like me: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_exile has the lowdown on the 'official' backstory to the Exile.

TheYanger

Almost all of them do right now, they're supposed to support neutrality at some point too. I don't think you'll ever seen lower ranks of dark/light be viable though. Either full or none seems most likely.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, I suck :(

los

I once picked a lock box on accident instead of armor or commendation for a quest reward. I received a light side lightsaber. I wanted to punch the quest giver. That was time #153 that I wanted to go back to a previous save.

I have a lightside double bladed lightsaber that I got on my BH that I've been trying to sell for a week.

erragal

Yeah, until you get Surgical Probe - it's tough to be super effective at healing as an operative at high level / tough encounters.

Actually I had surgical probe and was highly underwhelmed with its' healing in PVP situations. Perfectly fine for energy management purposes in PVE (Which I'll still heal) but I'm far more effective burning people down than maintenence healing.

oktarb

May be obvious but I thought I'd post some quick tips:

1) You get a fleet pass at lvl 10. Once every 16 hours (cooldown) you can port to the Fleet station.

2) As a inquisitor I had no Idea I had a punish command. Check your abilities!

3) Upgrading your ship makes a huge difference if you'er into space combat. Large missile bay early on helps a ton.

4) Slicing is a good way to keep your wallet full. Even after the nerf its profitable. Unlike crafting and gathering skills which are a credit sink - unless you actively sell your crafted items.

5) You can modify your weapons and armor anywhere, you do not need a modifiy station. Not sure why they're even in the game.

6) Log out in cantina's for rest exp, normal city areas do not count.

7) Explore your preferences. There are extra side bars, the ability to turn on light/dark side conversation options so you see them right in the answer. All kinds of things. Send 10 minutes and go through them. **Some of the options are global (area loot being one)

8) Remember to save creds. At level 30 skills cost 8-10K each. Don't buy what you don't use. For example my lightning based Sorcerer never uses melee so i don't purchase those skills. Buy them later when you're rich.

9) You can separate chat windows and place them in different areas. I like to separate my chat lines (Global, guild ect) from my system messages. Just set your tabs and then drag the tab where you want it.

10) Stop and smell the roses.

Rokam

Just got it, playing on the crappiest computer possible; 2 gigs of ram and an onboard Radeon HD 3200 video card. Amazingly enough it runs well enough to enjoy the story and not get owned in combat. Have wanted to play trooper since it was announced and the story so far is awesome. First planet spoilers
I was really hoping the twist that was coming was my team betraying the Republic, and sure enough Bioware didn't disappoint
. It helps that Carlton Lassiter is my companion.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So im on Taris (loving the look of it btw) and i run into a quest giver that needs me to unleash a poison named 3-5-7 trichloroheptane. When i read the name i wondered for about half a second if it was a reference to 2-4-5 trioxin from the Return of the Living Dead movies.. thats when it hit me. There have (and continue to be since its not a reference to the Return series) been zero pop-culture reference in the game. Its very refreshing to have all the references be to series lore (lots of EU stuff here.. i have wookieepedia open to check stuff from time to time).

TheYanger

Just got it, playing on the crappiest computer possible; 2 gigs of ram and an onboard Radeon HD 3200 video card. Amazingly enough it runs well enough to enjoy the story and not get owned in combat. Have wanted to play trooper since it was announced and the story so far is awesome. First planet spoilers
I was really hoping the twist that was coming was my team betraying the Republic, and sure enough Bioware didn't disappoint
. It helps that Carlton Lassiter is my companion.

Yeah trooper prologue->Act 1 is totally badass, glad you like it :) It's been the only class I wanted to main since...well, ever.

antonz

Really dont see them getting a huge nerf, they aren't OP at all. If anyone deserves the nerf bat, its the Inq/Consulars

Inquisitors do marginal damage compared to a scoundrel or operative. Wait til you see the really good ones. Liu Kang on Fatman can do 450k+ damage a battle as a scoundrel. He has no issue taking on 3-4 guys at a time by himself

Moaradin

Inquisitors do marginal damage compared to a scoundrel or operative. Wait til you see the really good ones. Liu Kang on Fatman can do 450k+ damage a battle as a scoundrel. He has no issue taking on 3-4 guys at a time by himself

Lol that guy deserves to do 450k damage.

Sokantish

Oh man I play on Fatman! As a Trooper the max I've done is like 340k :( I've seen some inquistors do 450k+ damage though

Is there a standard GAF server if I'm interested in playing with other GAFfers? Have an Inquisitor on Darth Xedrix but thinking about re-rolling somewhere else.

Edit: How did I miss that in the OP? :p

Wallach

450k is good, but well within the realm of any class. Most of the bored PvPers in expertise gear that still have the opportunity to smash babycakes lowbies that have no expertise in warzones are shooting for goals like 700k and up.

Hawk269

Do you some of you use voice chat when playing the game?

What is the preferred method of voice chat? Do many players use voice chat?

Noob to voice chatting on PC's....thanks for any help.

There will be another patch deployed tonight. No information on what the patch is fixing yet.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=136591

Please be advised that the servers will be unavailable later tonight or tomorrow morning for a new patch. This deployment will fix a few high priority issues in the game.

Before the patch is put in place, there will be in-game and launcher notifications that the servers will be going down, so please keep an eye out for these.

We will be sure to update this thread as more detailed information becomes available.

Choc

Banned
AGAIN

for fuck sake

none of the stuff they have so far is not that bad they need to keep taking it out.

Also the fact they are rolling these patches WITHOUT putting them on the test server is a big worry. The QA on this must be shithouse

AGAIN

for fuck sake

none of the stuff they have so far is not that bad they need to keep taking it out.

Also the fact they are rolling these patches WITHOUT putting them on the test server is a big worry. The QA on this must be shithouse

It's only gonna be down like an hour tonight it says. And yes, the mail bug is bad enough that it needs to be patched asap.

Choc

Banned
and the QA is so bad on this patch probably (you can't QA something that quick, that well in 24 hours) that this will break more things

edit: my point is /clubdance was not as bad as the new problem they now have

so they made a bigger problem fixing a smaller issue by failing to do a proper QA run on the thing and rushing it out

will happen again, watch.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
(you can't QA something that quick, that well in 24 hours)
As someone who worked with a QA team for a MMO int he past, if it's a completely localized system that you can be sure doesn't affect anything else yes you can thoroughly test a hot-fix that fast. There was likely some other fix/code change that went in along with the dance exploit fix which caused the commendation issue (assuming it actually was introduced by that patch). They just need to tighten up what changes end up on the release branch for reactive hot-fixes. There's also the chance it was just recently discovered and happened to coincide with said patch.

and the QA is so bad on this patch probably (you can't QA something that quick, that well in 24 hours) that this will break more things

edit: my point is /clubdance was not as bad as the new problem they now have

so they made a bigger problem fixing a smaller issue by failing to do a proper QA run on the thing and rushing it out

will happen again, watch.

What do you mean they made a bigger problem by fixing a smaller issue? Do you mean to say this problem only exists as a result of fixing the dance bug? How could you possibly know that? That's a completely baseless assumption.

notworksafe

May be obvious but I thought I'd post some quick tips:

1) You get a fleet pass at lvl 10. Once every 16 hours (cooldown) you can port to the Fleet station.
If you get the Security Key ($4 on Origin store or free on iPhone/Android) you get access a vendor that sells 1 hour cooldown Fleet Passes for 1000cr.

Wallach

Yeah you can, if the patch is small enough.

For the record, general MMO QA is one of the hardest things in this entire industry. Easy to talk shit about as a player, but an unreal task to actually engage in.

Top Bottom