• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Choc

Banned
Yeah you can, if the patch is small enough.

For the record, general MMO QA is one of the hardest things in this entire industry. Easy to talk shit about as a player, but an unreal task to actually engage in.

which is why its scary they are pushing these fixes out within a 24 hour period, because like you said its very hard to QA

well it seems this commendation issue has only popped up since last night? or did someone ONLY just find it?

so ergo, last nights patch caused this.

and the QA is so bad on this patch probably (you can't QA something that quick, that well in 24 hours) that this will break more things

edit: my point is /clubdance was not as bad as the new problem they now have

so they made a bigger problem fixing a smaller issue by failing to do a proper QA run on the thing and rushing it out

will happen again, watch.

No one knows if the mini patch yesterday caused the mail exploit. Lot of these things are in the game for a long time till it becomes public knowledge. The illum exploit took some time to find and got through testing.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
well it seems this commendation issue has only popped up since last night? or did someone ONLY just find it?

It became public knowledge recently. That is not indicative of how long its been around.

Wallach

which is why its scary they are pushing these fixes out within a 24 hour period, because like you said its very hard to QA

It isn't that scary if you are prepared to engage in developing an MMO to begin with.

This bug was caused by patch 1.02. That does not mean a hotfix to correct it will cause more issues, because they were patches that had different scopes that would have to be tested differently.

What would be scary is if they didn't hotfix stuff like this immediately. You ever come across an MMO developer that isn't prepared to do so, take my advice and find a different game.

JWong

Banned

Well, what's the point of putting on the test server?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If you get the Security Key ($4 on Origin store or free on iPhone/Android) you get access a vendor that sells 1 hour cooldown Fleet Passes for 1000cr.

Does the android app count?

I had the commendation problem days ago.

Woorloog

Banned
What is the level range of Nar Shaddaa? Forgot to read that one when i landed on it. And where does Sith Warrior's Master send me after Nar Shaddaa? Alderaan? Just name the planet, please.

Balmorra was both fun and annoying. "Ah, i'm finally done... MORE QUESTS???" I did only some half of the quests there.

Immortal Sith Juggernaut feels really good but somehow underpowered. Vette draws aggro very easily even with Guard on her and her Sniper Stance toggled. I died while doing a class quests of my own level because i got into a fight (with full health, medkit and buffs) with two strong mobs. Not elites, merely strongs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
What is the level range of Nar Shaddaa? Forgot to read that one when i landed on it. And where does Sith Warrior's Master send me after Nar Shaddaa? Alderaan? Just name the planet, please.

Balmorra was both fun and annoying. "Ah, i'm finally done... MORE QUESTS???" I did only some half of the quests there.

Immortal Sith Juggernaut feels really good but somehow underpowered. Vette draws aggro very easily even with Guard on her and her Sniper Stance toggled. I died while doing a class quests of my own level because i got into a fight (with full health, medkit and buffs) with two strong mobs. Not elites, merely strongs.
Don't remember the level range, but note that the bonus series for Nar Shaddaa will likely be a lot higher than where you end up after finishing the class missions there - I ended up going back in the middle of Tatooine since I was around the proper level for it by then.

It should go Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Alderaan, Taris, Quesh, Hoth.

In general, you'll likely be fine just doing the class quests, the mainline world quest series, and the bonus series for each planet. You don't miss too much from skipping the other side stuff. Heroics, as always, depend on whether you can get a group together or not.

Don't remember the level range, but note that the bonus series for Nar Shaddaa will likely be a lot higher than where you end up after finishing the class missions there - I ended up going back in the middle of Tatooine since I was around the proper level for it by then.

It should go Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine, Alderaan, Taris, Quesh, Hoth.

In general, you'll likely be fine just doing the class quests, the mainline world quest series, and the bonus series for each planet. You don't miss too much from skipping the other side stuff. Heroics, as always, depend on whether you can get a group together or not.

I wish there was a group finder for Heroics. One of my only gripes.

Sokantish

450k is good, but well within the realm of any class. Most of the bored PvPers in expertise gear that still have the opportunity to smash babycakes lowbies that have no expertise in warzones are shooting for goals like 700k and up.

I've never seen anything over 460k except for a screenshot on TOR forums of a Bounty Hunter doing 650k. 700k and up seems a little steep, especially since the expertise gear caps at 10% so it's not THAT big of a bonus

Calidor

after hitting 24 on my Slinger and 11 on my assassin I just became bored of the game :( I feel that it is too repetitive, void and unrewarding

I think I'll wait until is F2P when my sub ends

darksunpr

Does the android app count?

I had the commendation problem days ago.

I don't recommend the android app at all. If you install another rom you'll have problems even using titanium backup to restore the app on the new rom. I installed an ice cream sandwich rom on my galaxyII, restored the app and couldn't use it because it fc, fortunately I had a nandroid backup of the other rom.

Choc

Banned
ok before i do this

is this transferrable to other devices? if my phone breaks can i use the itouch?

or is it locked to this phone and if it dies im stuffeD?

darksunpr

ok before i do this

is this transferrable to other devices? if my phone breaks can i use the itouch?

By the looks of it you'll have to call, theres someone on neogaf that had that problem if I recall correctly and there are various topics on the swtor forums about this and the android app.

notworksafe

ok before i do this

Most likely you'll have to contact customer support to get it removed before transferring to another key if you dont have the original, that's usually the way these keys work.

Choc

Banned
wow @ this post on CS forum

I am currently level 44 still on Prologue, can't even get to Chapter 1.

wat!

must have pvp'd like crazy

FLEABttn

Banned
The official forums for this game as a cesspool of idiocy to a level where it's borderline disgusting. It makes the WoW forums combined with the FoH forums look good.

FLEABttn

Banned
They keep complaining about patches, but I think TOR has gotten more patches in the first 3 weeks than WoW did in the first year.

Wallach

I've never seen anything over 460k except for a screenshot on TOR forums of a Bounty Hunter doing 650k. 700k and up seems a little steep, especially since the expertise gear caps at 10% so it's not THAT big of a bonus

Expertise caps at 20%, not 10%.

It is a steep number; when you're talking numbers like 450k+ to begin with you're already talking about bored PvPers that have been farming expertise gear pretty hard that are beating on lowbies with zero expertise. That is, they're basically bored and trying to run the numbers up sometimes more than they are trying to win a game.

Sokantish

Expertise caps at 20%, not 10%.

It is a steep number; when you're talking numbers like 450k+ to begin with you're already talking about bored PvPers that have been farming expertise gear pretty hard that are beating on lowbies with zero expertise. That is, they're basically bored and trying to run the numbers up sometimes more than they are trying to win a game.

Mine's been stuck at 10.01% for a while. The thing in the PVP tab on the character sheet right?

Wallach

Mine's been stuck at 10.01% for a while. The thing in the PVP tab on the character sheet right?

20% is a hard cap; Expertise is a stat on a diminishing return curve. I don't think it should be stuck at that particular value, though. I'll look into it.

Trouble

Banned
ok before i do this

You can get them to take off the security key, but there is currently no way to activate another phone after that.

TheYanger

They keep complaining about patches, but I think TOR has gotten more patches in the first 3 weeks than WoW did in the first year.

Your memory is extremely wrong.
WoW also has hotfixes, these would in all likelihood have been hotfixes in it, which don't even require you to restart your client or disconnect.

bill0527

What are fleet passes?

Teleport you immediately to the main imperial or republic station that has all the trainers, gtn, flash points etc. it's a big time saver. You also get a skill of the same type that not many people know about. Look under abilities probably after you get your ship or leave the starter planet. Only problem with it is that it's got an 18 hour cool down so you can only use it once a day.

The fleet passes you buy from the VIP vendor have no cool down and you can use them as often as you want.

Alex

WoW had a lot of smaller patches early on, I remember them being fairly frequent. There's a lot to fix and you'll get the honey moon additions like dungeons that were already half done, etc.

As they expanded they became a lot more ridiculous with their infrastructure. Leading to their gigantic x.1, x.2, x.3 patches where they throw everything in the world in them and you wind up waiting 3-4+ months for simple tweaks and bug fixes.

They do hotfixes a lot, though, you can only do so much in hotfixes, however. Usually boss balance fixes or baby class tweaks, Blizzard loves to make ~1% DPS adjustments often. Was very fun in early Cata (which was basically a live beta) when their micro adjustments invalidated my gear choices twice within two weeks.

FLEABttn

Banned
Your memory is extremely wrong.
WoW also has hotfixes, these would in all likelihood have been hotfixes in it, which don't even require you to restart your client or disconnect.

I'm fairly certain TOR can do hotfixes as well.

That said, you are technically right, WoW had 22 patches the first year and TOR is at patch 11. It's hard to compare the breadth of the two, but even WoW's smallest are as unimportant if not less so that the stuff Bioware has been patching (like 1.1.2, where realms no longer displayed time zone!).

TheYanger

pretty sure they didn't hotfix cascading instances early vanilla.

If you remember that much.

I remember cascading instances didn't let you do something more than twice a week, and it did get fixed ;p This was something that didn't even rear its head until late into MC, so like 6+ months after wow's launch.

My point never had anything to do with wow, it was more a snide way of pointing out how stupid it is to try and use the swtor thread to trash talk wow. What is there to say about the patching? These are serious exploits, they need to be fixed. I'd prefer they fix them asap, and so would they. Downtime sucks but it has to happen, WoW and its bugs have nothing to do with it so stop trying to say "lOL WOW WOULDNT HAVE PATCHED IT STOP COMPLAINING" since that's not only idiotic and has no place here, but is blatantly wrong.

EDIT:
Ok I misremembered Cascading, it was only commonly used for two clears a week, but you could potentially do 6. Now I remember.

FLEABttn

Banned
My point never had anything to do with wow, it was more a snide way of pointing out how stupid it is to try and use the swtor thread to trash talk wow. What is there to say about the patching? These are serious exploits, they need to be fixed. I'd prefer they fix them asap, and so would they. Downtime sucks but it has to happen, WoW and its bugs have nothing to do with it so stop trying to say "lOL WOW WOULDNT HAVE PATCHED IT STOP COMPLAINING" since that's not only idiotic and has no place here, but is blatantly wrong.

Perhaps I am not being really clear about my intentions (my fault).

I don't mean to besmirch WoW, but given the patch schedules of other major MMO, I can't help but feel that 1) Bioware is really on the ball wrt fixing bugs and 2) the complaints about how long it takes Bioware to patch something are, at the moment, really overstated.

If 6 months down the line it turns out that they're awful at this, sure, but I can't help but feel that a bug fix patch every 2 days (on average) isn't fucking up.

I remember cascading instances didn't let you do something more than twice a week, and it did get fixed ;p This was something that didn't even rear its head until late into MC, so like 6+ months after wow's launch.

EDIT:
Ok I misremembered Cascading, it was only commonly used for two clears a week, but you could potentially do 6. Now I remember.

Correct

As for the swtor vs wow debate... that shit is never going to end. You're only going to provoke more people with your avatar though... hehe.

TheYanger

Perhaps I am not being really clear about my intentions (my fault).

I don't mean to besmirch WoW, but given the patch schedules of other major MMO, I can't help but feel that 1) Bioware is really on the ball wrt fixing bugs and 2) the complaints about how long it takes Bioware to patch something are, at the moment, really overstated.

If 6 months down the line it turns out that they're awful at this, sure, but I can't help but feel that a bug fix patch every 2 days (on average) isn't fucking up.

I COMPLETELY agree with this sentiment. Nobody should complain about quick patches for major issues. It's not like they're taking the server down for some kind of social bug, the /getdown bug and the commendation exploit are BIG deals in MMO terms.

Correct

As for the swtor vs wow debate... that shit is never going to end. You're only going to provoke more people with your avatar though... hehe.

Shrug, haters gonna hate? I still love and play both games. I could fit both characters in I guess but it might not look pretty at the avatar size ;p

Top Bottom