• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Community died in MMOs when it became all about end game and gear grinding. All good communities in MMOs were from sandbox MMOs where it was basically up to the players to actually create the world they played in.

EVE is pretty much the last of these types of games.

Bioware needs to add more same faction PvP stuff soon. Even if its Huttball with a different arena. Dont do like what Blizzard did and keep one CtF map for 7 years.

They said they are adding more same faction capable warzones in the future

CzarTim

Attention Gafers on Keller's Void:

Let's have a meet-up at the PVP area on Tatooine this Friday (the 13th) at 8PM EST.

That area is free-for-all, so it won't matter if more people show up from one side.

Here's where it is, for those who don't know:

Should be fun to hang out with everyone from both sides.

for new page

My crowning pvp moment so far. I'm a lvl 38 Shadow. It was some luck (the dice roll) but cool none the less. Project a lvl 50 Sith Assassin for 1000 dmg, then stun for 500, force breach for 1000, shadow strike twice for 2 crits totaling 6k damage. Force slow for 500, low slash for 1000, shadow strike twice again for 2 more criticals at 6000 and he dropped. Took about a min and would have never happened if the shadow strikes didn't crit. He never even hit me.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
No, but it's near the northern entrance to the Dune Sea. I believe it's called the Outlaw's Den or something like that.
Yea.. it should be Outlaws Den. For Imperials its just east of the outpost on the Dune Sea. As you head east its to your left at the north. There are red banners at the entrance. There is also a GTN terminal there.

Some things i would like to see Bioware add to these zones.. daily quests that send people into those zones to collect items or whatever. When people run into each other for quest nodes, same faction or not, the bloodbath will begin. Something i would like to see is the level scaling for these open PvP zones so level 50s couldnt just ruin things.

Dash27

The best is when you're tied and it comes down to who has the ball at the last second

We had a great match like that the other day. A friend had the ball tie game with seconds to go, he was about to die as he was surrounded by 3-4 Imp. He threw the ball to a dead area to reset it, clock ran out and we won.

CzarTim

I know they are already fixing it, but Ilum is fucking dumb. Just went there with Erik and completed my weekly in 30 minutes, trading with Imps. Not one shot was fired.

I know they are already fixing it, but Ilum is fucking dumb. Just went there with Erik and completed my weekly in 30 minutes, trading with Imps. Not one shot was fired.

Illum got pretty much no beta testing, they tossed it in at the end and it was incomplete. It still basically is not finished.... like the Palace Operation

CzarTim

Stealing from reddit:

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1398252#edit1398252

also,

This is pretty simple and may be common knowledge but when you zone in and out your crew skill missions change. This is similar to how the missions change when you complete another mission except you don't have to sit around and wait. Just board/exit your ship, enter/leave a flashpoint, etc. and your crew skill missions will change. Hope this helps!

Interfectum

One thing I would love to see them add is the ability for me to roll with more than one companion at a time. Have they ever hinted they may open that up in the future?

One thing I would love to see them add is the ability for me to roll with more than one companion at a time. Have they ever hinted they may open that up in the future?

Doubt it unless they add new content more geared for such circumstances. It would be pretty easy mode for players to run around with more than one companion.

The issue they need to tackle I think is that once you hit 50's, your companions become pretty much useless and are nothing more than little icons in your crew skills list that you click on to send out to do your missions.

I still want to be able to use my companions and have them in game for a purpose after I hit 50!

D1ewx.jpg

My champion gear mods disappeared today when zoning into my first Warzone :(

I have an open ticket but I'm afraid they may be lost forever. Back to Huttball with PvE gear I suppose.

I wonder if they would ever do this. Surely it came up during development. Every other BioWare RPG has 3+ person parties. I'm thinking maybe they would add it in an expansion.

Interfectum

Doubt it unless they add new content more geared for such circumstances. It would be pretty easy mode for players to run around with more than one companion.

The issue they need to tackle I think is that once you hit 50's, your companions become pretty much useless and are nothing more than little icons in your crew skills list that you click on to send out to do your missions.

I think it would be fine to allow multiple companions in flashpoints and whatnot. What's the harm?

I think it would be fine to allow multiple companions in flashpoints and whatnot. What's the harm?

Perhaps, but companions generally are not good enough for flashpoints later on unless you are over leveled. And I think they are useless for use in Hardmodes at 50, so they would need to create more content that allows you to bring along your buddies.

Interfectum

I wonder if they would ever do this. Surely it came up during development. Every other BioWare RPG has 3+ person parties. I'm thinking maybe they would add it in an expansion.

It seems like a no-brainer to me. It also opens up another time sink as I'd want to properly equip my entire party with epic gear.

Patryn

I was actually surprised that they only allowed one companion. I figured they'd at least let you run with the trinity.

Then again, it may have been a design decision in order to discourage players from trying to solo Heroics and encourage socialization (not that it stopped anything).

Tacitus_

Then they'd have to balance the flashpoints for companions and companions are fucking stupid, so they'd either have to make them not stupid (not going to happen) or nerf encounter complexity.

Interfectum

Then they'd have to balance the flashpoints for companions and companions are fucking stupid, so they'd either have to make them not stupid (not going to happen) or nerf encounter complexity.

What about letting 2 players do flashpoints with 2 companions each? I don't think it would mess up much.

antonz

D1ewx.jpg

My champion gear mods disappeared today when zoning into my first Warzone :(

I have an open ticket but I'm afraid they may be lost forever. Back to Huttball with PvE gear I suppose.

You are in luck had this happen to me this past saturday. File a ticket using the codeword fridge in the subject and it will get sent to item restoration team. They restored mine within 2 days.

zlatko

Banned
Is there anywhere I can go to see what end game gear looks like for each class on a character? I've seen what the official site offers with their 1-2 pictures, but I'm more curious what a full set of PvP gear and PvE gear looks like at level 50.

jiien

Is there anywhere I can go to see what end game gear looks like for each class on a character? I've seen what the official site offers with their 1-2 pictures, but I'm more curious what a full set of PvP gear and PvE gear looks like at level 50.

You can run around and try them on at the vendors on the faction fleets. I think ctrl+left click will display a tiny model of your character with the item on, regardless of whether or not you can actually wear it. Unfortunately, there is no zoom, and it shows extremely low-res textured models. Also, you can only do it with items you can see in a vendor/on the GTN, and so there are likely many oranges/dropped gear out there that will exist that you can't see.

I would also like a site with the information you're looking for, but I have yet to find anything.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't think you could do War Games with companions. Not that you would ever want to run War Games anyways.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
War Games was very fun the first time I did it. Very unique flashpoint so it was a nice change of pace IMO.
Some of the concepts are cool, especially the gate stuff, but it just feels like a really dull instance to me. Turrets are pretty boring to use (they should have spread them out too). All of the enemies are just really boring to fight after that. Super basic tank and spank stuff. Not really worth the effort.

Community died in MMOs when it became all about end game and gear grinding. All good communities in MMOs were from sandbox MMOs where it was basically up to the players to actually create the world they played in.

EVE is pretty much the last of these types of games.

They said they are adding more same faction capable warzones in the future

Eh, you're talking out of your ass just a little there. I've played plenty of MMOs that had that kind of endgame in mind and still had great communities. Hell, I loved the community on my Vanilla WoW server. BC as well (if a little less).

MMO communities have taken serious hits recently with a broadening audience and theme park design, as any online genre would. You make the experience easier, more accessible and more streamlined and you attract lots of morons. Not to mention that any sort of cross server grouping lends to people acting the fool with no permanent or serious repercussions.

EVE has/had the community it does because of the barrier to entry, not because it has some magical design that is a surefire formula for a great community. It is a formula for less people, which creates a certain type of community in and of itself.

MMO communities have taken serious hits recently with a broadening audience and theme park design, as any online genre would. You make the experience easier, more accessible and more streamlined and you attract lots of morons. Not to mention that any sort of cross server grouping lends to people acting the fool with no permanent or serious repercussions.

EVE has/had the community it does because of the barrier to entry, not because it has some magical design that is a surefire formula for a great community. It is a formula for less people, which creates a certain type of community in and of itself.

This is BS. Most hardcore raiders are immature egomaniacs, filled with e-peen. By your definition they make the best community.

This is BS. Most hardcore raiders are immature egomaniacs, filled with e-peen. By your definition they make the best community.

I think a lot of people are looking for something they had in EQ, which was mature older folks who were hardcore raiders and for whom their server reputation was of great importance.

I'm not sure there's much from EQ that is attainable again in MMOs.

zugzug

we got plenty of morons in this thread already. look at the person on this page who saluted point trading in Ilum to get the free champion bags.

Clearly.

frequency

I think a part of it is that MMOs were a closed community with a pretty high barrier to entry. If you were in an MMO for any length of time, you were pretty committed.

Nowadays, with such low barriers, anyone and everyone is in. GAF isn't perfect, but it's one of the better forums on the internet because it's relatively hard to get in. MMOs I would say used to be like GAF. There were consequences. Like if you're banned on GAF, you can't just register a new account immediately. But now, when it's so easy to get in and do stuff, MMOs are like GameFaqs forums or something.

No one seems to care about their relationships with other people playing the game anymore. People used to be careful not to offend because if you were a bad player or a jerk, you were basically screwed. You couldn't really even level on your own. But now, if you're a bad player or a jerk, you can just find some other people to play with or just solo. So relationships in MMOs in this age have very little meaning. It's become a culture where other players are disposable.

Of course, it's still possible to find good people who care, but it's much more difficult now. I'm having a very hard time meeting such people myself.

NOTE: I know my GAF example isn't perfect. Even if it's harder to get an account, GAF is still huge so we still have plenty of jerks. But it's way better than any other large forum.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not much of a community guy, I like to play on my own as much as possible, but can we at least give the game a few months before burying it? Communities don't sprout up over night in these games. The only reason I'm in a guild right now is because it's the gaf one, filled with people that I've seen on here or talked to for months already. Give it time to grow.

I think a part of it is that MMOs were a closed community with a pretty high barrier to entry. If you were in an MMO for any length of time, you were pretty committed.

Nowadays, with such low barriers, anyone and everyone is in. GAF isn't perfect, but it's one of the better forums on the internet because it's relatively hard to get in. MMOs I would say used to be like GAF. There were consequences. Like if you're banned on GAF, you can't just register a new account immediately. But now, when it's so easy to get in and do stuff, MMOs are like GameFaqs forums or something.

No one seems to care about their relationships with other people playing the game anymore. People used to be careful not to offend because if you were a bad player or a jerk, you were basically screwed. You couldn't really even level on your own. But now, if you're a bad player or a jerk, you can just find some other people to play with or just solo. So relationships in MMOs in this age have very little meaning. It's become a culture where other players are disposable.

Of course, it's still possible to find good people who care, but it's much more difficult now. I'm having a very hard time meeting such people myself.

NOTE: I know my GAF example isn't perfect. Even if it's harder to get an account, GAF is still huge so we still have plenty of jerks. But it's way better than any other large forum.

I think the community is what you make of it, and what your expectations are. I "slaved" in WoW on-and-off for 7 years, with SWTOR I decided: take it easy, don't like the character, start a new one, play for story, stop playing just to reach level X today/tommorow. People complaining about Biochem? I don't care, I will pick a profession that seems fun to me. Whinning about commendations vendors? What for, it's not like the game is your work/life!

I'm just playing along, having fun. I have way to stressful job to come back home, fire up SWTOR and lose nerves and patience over an ONLINE GAME.

I might group with 100 random jerks, but in 2 weeks of WoW I already quested a bit with one guy. Was worth it I would say.

No one seems to care about their relationships with other people playing the game anymore. People used to be careful not to offend because if you were a bad player or a jerk, you were basically screwed. You couldn't really even level on your own.

This is the primary reason why MMOs are more accessible now, imo. Making an MMO where you could level alone was a real risk taken by WoW at the time, and since it paid off like no one could have imagined, it's just come to be accepted as par for the course by default now. The natural progression from this decision is to make predominantly single player games with a major online multiplayer component.

On the flip side though, FFXI was even worse than EQ1 with forced grouping, yet it didn't exactly have as stellar a community. I'd say that the jerks in FFXI were near or beyond anything I dealt with in WoW. Perhaps it was because of the rarity of certain items and people felt it necessary to screw over your entire linkshell over a drop which you haven't seen for 7 months and may never see again.

I have to believe that there is a happy medium where people can't progress without working with others, but don't feel obligated to fuck over each other to attain their individual goals, and don't have to sit around doing nothing for hours trying to find a group.

This bugs me about MMOs all the time and is constantly on my mind when I am playing alone, but SWTOR's plotlines are at least effective distractions. I also have to take a step back sometimes and remember that EQ1 wasn't a perfect place with perfect people or those of us who quit likely wouldn't have.

frequency

I'm not much of a community guy, I like to play on my own as much as possible, but can we at least give the game a few months before burying it? Communities don't sprout up over night in these games. The only reason I'm in a guild right now is because it's the gaf one, filled with people that I've seen on here or talked to for months already. Give it time to grow.

I don't think anyone is "burying" this game.

My comments aren't directly related to SWTOR. I'm just trying to discuss modern MMOs in general. I never expected SWTOR to bring back the experience I'm looking for in MMOs. I expected it to be post-WOTLK MMO.

My posts about community and other MMOs are mostly just me reminiscing and being sad that the things I love are lost and will likely never return.

As for SWTOR... This game has a lot of problems for me but I'm still playing this so...

On another note: Can Republic and Empire players talk to each other? Or is communication faction locked just cause that's how MMOs nowadays are?

JWong

Banned
I don't think anyone is "burying" this game.

My comments aren't directly related to SWTOR. I'm just trying to discuss modern MMOs in general. I never expected SWTOR to bring back the experience I'm looking for in MMOs. I expected it to be post-WOTLK MMO.

My posts about community and other MMOs are mostly just me reminiscing and being sad that the things I love are lost and will likely never return.

As for SWTOR... This game has a lot of problems for me but I'm still playing this so...

On another note: Can Republic and Empire players talk to each other? Or is communication faction locked just cause that's how MMOs nowadays are?

I believe they can /say and /yell at each other.

Top Bottom