• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Yeah, I didn't bother doing the heroic quests. The most annoying thing is you can't even check what rewards they're going to give, meaning you don't know whether it's worth it.

it's because the rewards you get are always shit.

Zafir

So is there any way to change your Legacy Name (paid or otherwise)? I had no idea wth I was doing when I picked mine.
Not at the moment, no. Best you can do is hide it in the settings. I haven't got my surname shown, not because I hate my legacy name, just because I think my character name sounds better without one.

usea

it's because the rewards you get are always shit.
Heroics often have orange gear as rewards, and are often the first place you can reasonably get an orange piece for that slot. I've done all of them on all the planets so far, 2-manned with my fiance. They've all been easy with just the two of us.

When they're not orange gear, they're some blue earpiece/implant/mod/armoring/hilt/barrel. Which is good for that level, so it depends on if you're outleveling the planet you're on or not. Also they often give decent credit rewards. Last night I got 18k experience from a heroic that took about 5 minutes to do, which is almost double the experience I get from non-heroic quests.

imo heroics are some of the only missions worth doing on planets (along with your class mission and the long story mission for that planet), and the only reason I even bother doing many of the non-heroics is the hope that a heroic will open up afterwards.

sangreal

Very disappointed to hear they're going the cross-server route. That's not really what I'm looking for in an MMO so I will probably leave when they do.

Hari Seldon

Not at the moment, no. Best you can do is hide it in the settings. I haven't got my surname shown, not because I hate my legacy name, just because I think my character name sounds better without one.

Gotcha. I guess I'll have to wait until they implement a paid system to change it.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Very disappointed to hear they're going the cross-server route. That's not really what I'm looking for in an MMO so I will probably leave when they do.

Wait, what? Did I miss this in the 1.1 patch notes? One of the things that I really liked about the current PvP setup is that old feeling of getting into a warzone and being able to size up the opposing team based on their names.

They haven't said they are, they are just looking at it and it's not happening any time soon if it happens at all.

Phew!

sangreal

They haven't said they are, they are just looking at it and it's not happening any time soon if it happens at all.

"Cross-server queuing for PvP is something that the development team wants to happen, but it's not going to be available in the near future."

Sure, they said it won't be anytime soon and I'm not about to ragequit over something that isn't in the game, but they made it pretty clear that it is planned for the future.

"Cross-server queuing for PvP is something that the development team wants to happen, but it's not going to be available in the near future."

Sure, they said it won't be anytime soon and I'm not about to ragequit over something that isn't in the game, but they made it pretty clear that it is planned for the future.

I think it was inevitable, but wont be a priority until server population issues come up and the player base numbers begin to stabilize.

usea

Complaints about cross-server pvp is a bit silly imo. The only thing it does is increase the pool of players. If you're against cross-server warzones then that means you're saying "1 server of players is exactly the number of people that make the optimal pvp warzone queues and experience. No more, no less." Cross-server allows you to increase that pool to however many you think is appropriate. Whether that is just 2 servers of people, or all the servers, depends on how it's tuned.

If you want to be able to gain some familiarity with the people you pvp with, you can still do that with cross-server pvp if the number of servers is a reasonable amount. It doesn't have to be hundreds of thousands of people large. They could easily just create server pairs, where you always pvp with people on your server and your sister-server. Or they can create wargroups of 4 servers each. Whatever.

After cross-server warzones are implemented, if you think it sucks never recognizing the people you play against, that just means the pool of players is too large. It doesn't mean cross-server is bad.

All of the above is also true for cross-server LFG.

frequency

Why is cross-server PvP considered a bad thing?

Sense of community is lost when you play with people you'll likely never see or interact with again.

Rivalries and camaraderie make for great memories.

The cross server stuff in WoW was a major contributor that pushed me away from that game. MMOs without sense of community are lifeless to me.

It ruins the feeling of community for some people. Instead of knowing who you play with and learn the people you play against, you are always being mixed together with people from various servers.

It helps make pvp run smoother but it messes with community. Some people care about the community part of pvp, while some don't care as they don't pay attention to who they play with/against.

Lombax

Banned
Does the Trooper story stay good? It would be interesting to try out a Trooper and go completely dark side.

I am playing a dark side trooper [level 39 at the moment]. I am in act 2 and to be honest its not all that interesting. It feels as if I am going through the story points for Mass Effect 2 right now.

I'd gladly take the loss of community that came with wow cross-server BGs over the 45 minute to 1 hour queues during vanilla. I think when swtor brackets off the lvl 50s, they are going to begin feeling the same way.

sangreal

I can see the appeal for people that want to treat the PvP as a standalone game, it just isn't for me. The big draw for me in an MMO is the persistent world aspect, and cross-server ruins that illusion. I enjoy knowing the other players in the WZ, even if only by name. Finally getting the best of that guy that rolled you for weeks, etc.

I just don't have any interest in playing against random people wearing gear obtained on other servers. That just isn't an MMO to me, I can do that on XBL.

Venfayth

Just a question, something I've been thinking about for a while, and this cross server pvp chat brought it up again in my mind:

What, while playing this MMO or any other MMO, really makes you feel like you're a part of a server-wide or faction-wide community?

I think for me, I have one experience that really sticks out in my mind. Back in the days of Vanilla WoW - to make a long story short - I stayed up till like 5AM with my guild trying to kill a world boss (Lord Kazzak) while the opposite faction tried to kill it as well. It was back and forth madness, trying to kill the other faction, trying to survive (Kazzak would do huge volleys of shadowbolts to everyone in a massive AOE around him) which culminated in the Horde finally leaving and us killing the boss after something like 7-8 hours of dying/repairing/stripping your gear off and intentionally dying (if the boss killed you, it healed for a massive amount :p) just to spite the other side.

CzarTim

I'd sacrifice the sense of community only if there is a ranking system in place so you always play against/with people your skill.

I can see the appeal for people that want to treat the PvP as a standalone game, it just isn't for me. The big draw for me in an MMO is the persistent world aspect, and cross-server ruins that illusion. I enjoy knowing the other players in the WZ, even if only by name. Finally getting the best of that guy that rolled you for weeks, etc.

I just don't have any interest in playing against random people wearing gear obtained on other servers. That just isn't an MMO to me, I can do that on XBL.

Theres always the open world pvp zones to go to which are server exclusive.

Macattk15

Some of the best times in my WoW days was before cross-server PvP was introduced and the trash talking that came with it on server forums / IRC / etc.

With that said, I'm not against Cross-server PvP as it makes it easier to accomplish. I hated having to wait for 40 mins to get a PvP BG going .... I love instantly popping queues however ... community be damned.

zlatko

Banned
Sense of community is lost when you play with people you'll likely never see or interact with again.

Rivalries and camaraderie make for great memories.

The cross server stuff in WoW was a major contributor that pushed me away from that game. MMOs without sense of community are lifeless to me.

100% agree with this. The reason I stuck with FFXI for 6 years was the incredible sense of community with it. You get a good exp group for 1-2 hours, and there was no deaths with people who leveled once or twice, and I would always be doing /searches for them when I log on again to try and reestablish the same kind of mojo. Reach the things with big group #'s needed, and you had a list of reliable people to contact, or even shoot the shit with while you were in other groups doing whatever.

People hate the grind, but I'll take a grindy group oriented MMO like FFXI again with a focus on story anyday over the quick and easy route of WoW.

daoster

I dunno, I haven't had much of a sense of "community" when playing PVP. If there aren't enough people queueing up for PVP, i think cross server might not be such a bad thing.

Now cross server for FPs and Heroics would definitely be horrible...that's where all my sense of community has come from...and all the non guild friends I've made have been from the group content. I hope they never do cross server for that.

Zafir

Just a question, something I've been thinking about for a while, and this cross server pvp chat brought it up again in my mind:

What, while playing this MMO or any other MMO, really makes you feel like you're a part of a server-wide or faction-wide community?

I think for me, I have one experience that really sticks out in my mind. Back in the days of Vanilla WoW - to make a long story short - I stayed up till like 5AM with my guild trying to kill a world boss (Lord Kazzak) while the opposite faction tried to kill it as well. It was back and forth madness, trying to kill the other faction, trying to survive (Kazzak would do huge volleys of shadowbolts to everyone in a massive AOE around him) which culminated in the Horde finally leaving and us killing the boss after something like 7-8 hours of dying/repairing/stripping your gear off and intentionally dying (if the boss killed you, it healed for a massive amount :p) just to spite the other side.
I think so. Prior to cross-server pvp on WoW, it was kind of nice to recognise people on the other team and they'd recognise you. After they introduced cross-server pvp, it wasn't like that. You'd occasionally see people you'd recognise, but not as much. Our server even had an unofficial forum where we'd go and talk.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Theres always the open world pvp zones to go to which are server exclusive.

Except there's no incentive to go there, there are barely any people doing open world PvP even in the launch window, and these zones will be completely abandoned within a few months.

I'm with frequency and sangreal. MMORPGs suck when there isn't any community. SWTOR seems to be doing everything it can to ensure that there isn't one. At that point, what are you paying $15 a month for?

SWG and many of the epic hangout spots where people just were a community and it constantly became flashpoints for battles between the factions. So many good memories of Anchorhead and all the Imperial raids back then....

Except there's no incentive to go there, there are barely any people doing open world PvP even in the launch window, and these zones will be completely abandoned within a few months.

They already said they are adding to Illum and such with more incentives.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They already said they are adding to Illum and such with more incentives.

That would be a start, but I'm not optimistic. For world PvP to really work, it needs to be a huge focus of the game. I also don't believe it can exist in tandem with instanced PvP warzones. Warhammer Online sort of proved that to me.

That would be a start, but I'm not optimistic. For world PvP to really work, it needs to be a huge focus of the game. I also don't believe it can exist in tandem with instanced PvP warzones. Warhammer Online sort of proved that to me.

It didn't work in WAR the same reason why it's not working out now, there is little incentive in doing it. In WAR doing the scenarios gave best gains in everything and doing open world RVR was pointless. It wasn't till much later after launch and they ramped up the rewards for RVR did people actually do it. They just need to give incentive to get people to do them and make it unique rewards that keep people interested in doing both warzones, and the open world.

The Tatooine area has incentives, though its not something the average player wants as it's basically an incentive for organized guilds who want to horde up the resource nodes.

Blitzzz

For me it's accessibility over community. I don't want to wait in queues when I don't spend that much time playing. Makes no difference to me who I'm beating on in PVP since they are invisible once the wz ends anyways

GAF guild is more than enough community for me lol

frequency

There isn't a single event, but a series of experiences.

For PvP, back in vanilla WoW, AV queues would take forever to pop, but it was soooo worth it. The Horde had one guy who would lead them, and we had one guy who would lead us. It was basically General vs General. The friendships and rivalries (that later became friendships...) I made have lasted years and though we've never met physically, I consider them some of my closest friends. I still talk to some of the people I met during that time, even though we haven't played together in like 4-5 years.
We also had some pretty intense guild rivalries in the smaller BGs when we ran premades. Whenever we met, it would be a great battle. We regularly sat in each other's vent servers because of the relationships that could only be built from the repeated experiences we had with each other. Cross server takes all that away.

Xiaoki

I'd gladly take the loss of community that came with wow cross-server BGs over the 45 minute to 1 hour queues during vanilla. I think when swtor brackets off the lvl 50s, they are going to begin feeling the same way.

This is why nostalgia is a terrible thing.

People may argue that cross server PvP and instances ruins the server community but not having them ruins the game.

I dont have time to wait an hour for a Warzone queue to pop and I dont have time to spam "Tank LFG for HM BT" in Fleet all night.

I pay $15 a month to play the game not sit around waiting for things to happen.

I have yet to feel any sense of community in this game outside of my guild.

What do you expect of the "community"? Beg you to join PuGs? Start a huge zone-wide Republic/Empire ganking? Then be the one to take charge and do it! Maybe set up a nice RP event somewhere???

Most of the people crying "no community!" don't really care, they log in, chat with guildies, raid, log out.

frequency

100% agree with this. The reason I stuck with FFXI for 6 years was the incredible sense of community with it. You get a good exp group for 1-2 hours, and there was no deaths with people who leveled once or twice, and I would always be doing /searches for them when I log on again to try and reestablish the same kind of mojo. Reach the things with big group #'s needed, and you had a list of reliable people to contact, or even shoot the shit with while you were in other groups doing whatever.

People hate the grind, but I'll take a grindy group oriented MMO like FFXI again with a focus on story anyday over the quick and easy route of WoW.

FFXI is one of my favourite games ever because of the community.
One of my best memories in LIFE (seriously) was grinding for like 10 hours with a multilingual group at a weird spot in Yuhtunga. We went to fight some caterpillar things instead of the usual goblin spot since it was so crowded. After that, we regularly played together, even though we were on different time zones, LS's, and languages. We had to communicate using a mix of the pre-made text system thing and my (incredibly shitty) on the fly translations.
I could go on forever about all the experiences from that game... Sneaking (with the WHM spell) through that high level cave to reach the desert zone when we were like level 25 is another memory I am very fond of. I think it was New Years or something because I distinctly remember we somehow found our way to the Oasis where we sat and watched the fireworks.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Regarding long queue times.. TOR has something that Wow never had.. same faction PvP matches. If there was no Huttball there would be an ungodly wait for Imperials. i play at least 20 matches of Huttball for every one of the other. i havent seen Voidstar in a week.

Bioware needs to add more same faction PvP stuff soon. Even if its Huttball with a different arena. Dont do like what Blizzard did and keep one CtF map for 7 years.

Top Bottom