• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Quick question for GAF Empire folks.

I know on the rep side, it's near impossible to find groups for heroics from tatooine and later (lv25ish or so), and I don't even bother trying to get groups for bonus quests.

How is group hunting on emp side? Or is this server just dying out?

The longest I've had to wait to get a group for heroic/flashpoints is maybe 5 minutes and that's as the most useless group class out there, the Sniper.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The longest I've had to wait to get a group for heroic/flashpoints is maybe 5 minutes and that's as the most useless group class out there, the Sniper.

i thought ranged DPS were in much higher demand because unlike melee DPS you dont have to deal with the majority of the boss attacks?

Alex

I would have added a dollar to my monthly fee if they took all of the geometry from helms and pads in WoW and put it into body armor. Seven years, one robe model.

zugzug

Notice how they aren't going to risk faction imbalance with MoP.

rather bad posting of yours. What is there left to risk. the damage is way done blizzard did nothing substaintal enough to fix problems. They exist people scoff and say rudely pay for transfer or deal. Blizzard sits quietly counts money. Bad gaming policy is bad. Good business policy is good. Idiots still call Blizzard triple A gaming company.

Bioware has shown the same shortsigtedness. I'm not level 50 yet to view exactly how broken are pvp servers which I play upon, because i'm to busy levelling up my 4th level 30ish character.

Point is throwing out a game without managing your community to have a better game is something that needs to improve otherwise keep letting the bad communities exist.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
rather bad posting of yours. What is there left to risk. the damage is way done blizzard did nothing substaintal enough to fix problems. They exist people scoff and say rudely pay for transfer or deal. Blizzard sits quietly counts money. Bad gaming policy is bad. Good business policy is good. Idiots still call Blizzard triple A gaming company.

Bioware has shown the same shortsigtedness. I'm not level 50 yet to view exactly how broken are pvp servers which I play upon, because i'm to busy levelling up my 4th level 30ish character.

Point is throwing out a game without managing your community to have a better game is something that needs to improve otherwise keep letting the bad communities exist.

Is level 30 when the class story ends or something?

Arment

The MMO bug has gotten me. I refuse to go back to WoW. I'm a sucker for Star Wars. But the $60 price tag and witnessing boatloads of complaining has made my purchasing willpower falter.

No it is 100% correct. Concealment spec Operative is borderline useless in PvP until 36. They really dont even come into their own until Acid Blade at 40. The most DPS Operatives bring to Voidstar or Alderaan is Corrosive Dart which keeps people from capping nodes. In Huttball, they are nothing more than wounded gazelle killers or if the team is coordinated innzone scorers.

Most classes are useless before than. Who would've thought you had to level to compete?

zugzug

The MMO bug has gotten me. I refuse to go back to WoW. I'm a sucker for Star Wars. But the $60 price tag and witnessing boatloads of complaining has made my purchasing willpower falter.

Disregard all the complaints and buy it its totally worth it for the first month until you get into the meat of the game do you find usual MMO problems that exist that has not been addressed in this game.

However it is very much more a single player game than a MMO for the first month of playing.

Edit: if those level 50s do not have their own bracket Or even just bring in 3 brackets 1-35 35-49 and lvl 50 then this game is just wasting time in Warzones. Listen I understand why no brackets at launch but now its just plain stupid and unfun for lowlevels. While you find some fun ultimately your just spinning wheels and not truly being helpful.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
i thought ranged DPS were in much higher demand because unlike melee DPS you dont have to deal with the majority of the boss attacks?

Snipers bring 0 utility to the table, it's all damage. Operatives and the like bring healing, some have CC and whatnot.

CzarTim

Well I was avoiding Ilum like the plague until a GAFer mentioned in chat the the pubs were doing okay, so I went there and somehow we had control of the planet! Nobody was exploiting (at least, that I saw -- still not sure what you would do to exploit it), it was just good old fashion PVP. Serves me right for sharping my pitchfork before checking things out. That said, BW has to do something about the people who did exploit. It's a matter of developing a relationship of trust with the community.

There are still problems with Ilums concept. Bigger numbers win. I remember during the development the BW developers talked about making the world PVP more about small groups ganking than needing to get large groups together. This is not that at all. It might die down in a week or two, but if you are out-manned, it's useless to try.

As far as I could tell, the only way to get a registered kill is to inflict damage on an enemy and be alive when they die. Meaning healing is useless and AOE spamming is king. If you are in a group, kills aren't shared.

The arms things are a joke as well. They spawn slowly, and only one person can claim them. Once again, groups don't get credit. I'm assuming you can only claim them if your faction controls the base??? Otherwise the bases are useless as they don't give points. The arms points are so rare that you are better off ganking until you finish your quest.

Speaking of the quest, 30 is too many. 15 or 20 would be a sweet spot there.

We were having fun until the Imps showed up in full force. Then we were out numbered two to one and it became hopeless. As always, I want a fair fight and credit for playing. I don't want to feel like getting these dailies and weeklies are a chore.

This has the potential to be super fun, but some really short sighted design decisions are holding it back.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

The only thing MMO players love more than playing MMOs is complaining about MMOs.

It's a great game. Most of what people are complaining about at the moment only really affects level 50 PVPers.

However it is very much more a single player game than a MMO for the first month of playing.

It's only a single player game if you choose to play it that way. It's more fun playing with others. Especially conversations.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Most classes are useless before than. Who would've thought you had to level to compete?
1) As a 35 Operative i would routinely get destroyed by 10-15s of other classes.
2) My level 10 Sentinel did more damage, got more kills, and had less deaths than any game of my Operative pre-50.
3) As people get expertise the Operatives ones trick stops working.

Operative DPS sucks. Its only use is taking down those that are already injured or finding low-levels with no Expertise that you can burst down. Thats basically it. Once your target gets up, even if they are at 50%, the Operative almost always loses. If they toss a DoT on you.. esp one thats not physical.. its c u @ gy.

Blitzzz

There's probably just as many people enjoying the game. "I love this game" type posts don't really generate the same amount of discussion.

most of the current issues might be addressed by the time you hit 50

FWIW, I'm level 42 and enjoy the game and will keep playing

Blackface

Banned
Since everyone is bitching, thought I would toss this out there also.

All those people who exploited the credit glitch. Who made between 5 million and 100 million credits. Received only a 7 day ban and got to keep all their exploited money and items.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

All those people who exploited the credit glitch. Who made between 5 million and 100 million credits. Received only a 7 day ban and got to keep all their exploited money and items.
Money is practically pointless so i dont care.

edit: At 50 that is.

Blackface

Banned
1) As a 35 Operative i would routinely get destroyed by 10-15s of other classes.
2) My level 10 Sentinel did more damage, got more kills, and had less deaths than any game of my Operative pre-50.
3) As people get expertise the Operatives ones trick stops working.

Operative DPS sucks. Its only use is taking down those that are already injured or finding low-levels with no Expertise that you can burst down. Thats basically it. Once your target gets up, even if they are at 50%, the Operative almost always loses. If they toss a DoT on you.. esp one thats not physical.. its c u @ gy.

This isn't true. Operatives in full champion gear and one combo players in full battlemaster gear. If you pop adrenals, you can crit for 9k in one hit.

Operatives are straight broken in PVP, and most of them admit to this fact. Even the guy from DarthHater who is regularly on The Republic, admits Operatives are broken and he has been playing one since beta.

What are credits even worth these days? Can you even put up the best things on gtn?

Mairu

What are credits even worth these days? Can you even put up the best things on gtn?

Credits are worthless, at 50 you'll just keep making credits through pvp/dailies/whatever without having anything really to spend it on.

The only money sinks in the game are gaudy mounts & repair bills, but considering the ease of this content repair bills aren't really an issue.

UltraMav

3a302c09.png

Awesome.

SpeederTrouble.png

I raise you Speeder-Dick Johnson and his sidekick The Invisible Man!

So is there a good solid SWTOR blog like WoW insider for WoW? I've got WoW insider plugged into my RSS reader and its great for quickly browsing through some of the latest going ons.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This isn't true. Operatives in full champion gear and one combo players in full battlemaster gear. If you pop adrenals, you can crit for 9k in one hit.

Operatives are straight broken in PVP, and most of them admit to this fact. Even the guy from DarthHater who is regularly on The Republic, admits Operatives are broken and he has been playing one since beta.
i dont believe 9k crit on equal target. Can you point me to any pics or videos because i do not believe it.

edit:
The amount of complete bullshit surrounding Operatives/Scoundrels is amazing. Let me just note that Operative was my first character to 50. i also play MMOs mostly for the PvP. Maybe i need to l2p but i consider myself fairly decent at knowing a class, how to make it work, min/max, etc. i am also not playing my Operative any longer. Its not that i dislike the playstyle but i want to see the other classes so my Operative has been retired as of two days ago. i mention these things so people know where i am coming from and my experience. i dont have a dog in the nerf Operative race. Now that is out of the way.. i started looking for 9k crit and here is a post i found

Operatives need a nerf.

Why?

My main is a fully geared (champion gear) Jedi Sentinel. I played a series of matches today. There was a mid 30s Operative on the opposing team.

"I can take her no problem." I told myself.

To put it bluntly I was wrong, horribly, HORRIBLY wrong. EVERY time I engaged the agent I was knocked to the ground, back stabbed a few times...and left with a third of my health. I stood up, poped some cooldowns...and died....again and again.

There is NO way a level 30ish agent should be killing a fully PvP geared opponent that easily.
This is bullshit, plain and simple. Misinformation like this is all over the place. Even with 4-5 pieces of the first tier PvP gear i sometimes cannot even pop the shield on a Sage/Sorc. My highest hit has been 4k with the Surge/Crit relic going. That hit was on a teen level enemy. To say that a mid-30 Operative without Acid Blade pulled these kinds of numbers on a fully geared 50 Sentinel is a fucking lie.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
When do they get this damage reduction thing?

Ballistic Shield
Instant
Deploys a ballistic shield that spans 10 meters around you, reducing the damage taken by all allies that remain inside by 20%. Lasts 15 seconds. Can only be used from cover, and exiting cover ends the effect.

3 min cooldown.

Heysoos

My computer basically turn unusable when this game is patching, anyone else?

Opened Firefox > Facebook + Neogaf. Opened SWTOR and logged in > Starts Patching. Everything either goes into really unresponsive mode or just freezes. Firefox was unusable, Task Manager took almost half a minute to open, Chrome took a minute from when I double clicked, to when it actually opened. Freezes similar to Firefox. Is this normal?

Opened Firefox > Facebook + Neogaf. Opened SWTOR and logged in > Starts Patching. Everything either goes into really unresponsive mode or just freezes. Firefox was unusable, Task Manager took almost half a minute to open, Chrome took a minute from when I double clicked, to when it actually opened. Freezes similar to Firefox. Is this normal?

Same thing happens to me. I haven't actually checked my CPU meter when it's happening though, it probably is doing some extraction / integrity checking of these massive asset files and not throttling the CPU but just burning it to 100% while it works. Just a theory though.

Dina

lolfvn.jpg

(not my pic)

It's like they didn't learn from Wintergrasp. Same problems on some servers, and even then the tenacity buff was a band-aid fix that was circumvented easily.

zugzug

It annoys me to no end to see people keep saying credits are worthless at lvl 50. It may be true but damn its annoying to what that implies to me.

gatti-man

Nope i never have performance problems like that.

TheYanger

Happens to me as well.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Just patched an none of these issues. Was browsing just fine.

Top Bottom