• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

frequency

How are they ranking up so fast? I'm confused.

Based on that post, they're saying people are ranking up fast from controlling all the opposing teams points and killing players.
Not from farming turrets. They said no valour gain from turrets or NPCs.

To dispel a couple of rumors that have been seen today – there is no Valor gain from destroying turrets within enemy bases, and none from killing NPCs.

How are they ranking up so fast? I'm confused.

You get 200 valor per kill if you control all things. If you are in the enemy base enemies are forced to respawn when you kill them there. They cannot escape and with an Ops group you can kill people in a few seconds.

So its basically 200 valor every 3 secs on imbalanced servers.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The game is an absolute joke now. There needs to be a petition for James Ohlen to resign.
Oh please, theres no need to be so dramatic. If anyone is seriously considering a petition to get the lead designer removed or going to unsub from this..
1268393910_george_clooney_at_the_oscars.gif

Start petitions, uninstall the game, whatever. It seems like such a big deal over nothing. Win trading Tol Barad was much worse than this (you actually got the currency used to directly buy gear and items from doing so) and it wasnt even that bad. The most these incidents get from me is a yawn.

I feel so bad for anyone who grinded Battlemaster legitimately. Any ranged Dps or Healer could easily hit rank 60 by tonight. There are guys in my guild getting 160 Valor every 10 seconds (minimum).
i dont feel bad because they have tangible rewards from doing that (actual currency to buy stuff with) whereas all the people got Valor rank in this method didnt afaik.

frequency

I hope one of the Legacy bonuses is that all your new characters start with Sprint at level 1.

I don't understand why Sprint even needs to exist. You get it so early and you never turn it off. Why not just make all characters move at that speed by default?

sangreal

Eh, I've already accepted that this game is 'exploit early, exploit often' after nobody was really punished for duping millions of credits. But this...
In addition to these changes, we’ll be reducing the population cap on Ilum. This should help increase performance by requiring your client to render fewer characters on-screen at once.

JFC this engine sucks.

Varna

Eh, I've already accepted that this game is 'exploit early, exploit often' after nobody was really punished for duping millions of credits. But this...

JFC this engine sucks.

Yes. The all the damn problems. Performance issues, lack of high resolution textures, etc. Let's be realistic for a second. Will this ever get better?

frequency

Sprint is not always active either.

Ok whatever. If you see Sprint and mounts as the same thing then good for you.
I'm not going to argue about the differences/non-differences of Sprint and mount with you.

They're not the same thing to me. And I don't think Sprint should exist.

bjb

Banned
i dont feel bad because they have tangible rewards from doing that (actual currency to buy stuff with) whereas all the people got Valor rank in this method didnt afaik.

Uh, what? It's rank 60 regardless. Now they can start gearing out their characters accordingly with the best PvP gear in the game.

Only they didn't earn it at all, there should be no reward for people spawn camping the Republic base for a few hours. Versus the Days & Hours it took others to legitimately achieve it through actual Warzone's.

The title and rank mean nothing now.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ok whatever. If you see Sprint and mounts as the same thing then good for you.
I'm not going to argue about the differences/non-differences of Sprint and mount with you.

They're not the same thing to me. And I don't think Sprint should exist.
Sprint is useful for moving across large indoor areas where mounting is not allowed. It turns off when out of combat. It would make more sense if it were passive as was said earlier. As a stealth class i also found it handy because it had a visual and audio cue for when i dropped combat. i dont see the issue with the ability though.

bjb

Banned
Indeed, engine blows hard. For all the shit WoW gets for it's asstastic graphics and cartoony art style, at least the engine can handle a bunch of people kickin it in IF without shitting on itself.

Just doesn't really make sense that this whole mechanic, the changes to Ilum weren't somehow tested before deployed.

Surely someone on their team knew what a disaster this could potentially become.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
wtf did they change the lightsaber noise? i hear it all the time now.

also ive crashed twice and a cinema scene completely glitched up graphically (and hilariously)

awesome patch

sangreal

i aint even mad. i cbf to even do this. Going to play my Sentinel.

Kind of. Getting the rank doesnt net you the gear though. They still need to grind out the gear but it means that people that do this will just skip the lowest grind. Seems like a huge meltdown over little to be honest.

People below BM have a random chance to get a random piece of champion-level gear (that they may not need). BM's are guaranteed commendations to buy any pieces of champion-level gear that they want, in addition to commendations for BM gear.

Choc

Banned
the way people are going on about htis is really quite dumb, there are much bigger issues in the world (at large not swtor) than someone getting to valor early

i agree if they exploited it, ban if not get over it. Not talking about gaffers, here talking about the main forums of the game.

Anyone would think they murdered their mother the way they are going on.....

What has used the HeroEngine before?

Nothing and hopefully it stays that way (unfortunately some small time MMO in development is also using it).

Just doesn't really make sense that this whole mechanic, the changes to Ilum weren't somehow tested before deployed.

Surely someone on their team knew what a disaster this could potentially become.

Sloppy is all I can say, and it's not hard to spawn NPCs with heroengine, I use to mess with it alot and spawning NPCs on the fly to stress test is ridiculously easy.

wtf did they change the lightsaber noise? i hear it all the time now.

Lightsaber noise depends on the crystal you use ;) Unless you mean something else?

Ramirez

Better question is why don't they make sprint passive. :/

lol, I know I'm in the minority, but I have to turn sprint off in large areas because I outrun the speed at which my PC loads stuff and it turns into a slideshow. I have a new PC on the way though, so this won't be a problem much longer!

Trouble

Banned
I don't understand why Sprint even needs to exist. You get it so early and you never turn it off. Why not just make all characters move at that speed by default?

They should just make it a passive skill, not a toggle.

Edit: Late reply is late. Should have refreshed. I see Varna beat me too it.

Prodigal

Banned
So what's the deal with AA now? Does the new patched in setting override anything we do with ini's or nvidia inspector and whatnot?

bjb

Banned
Whether they actually do something to them or not, most are going to view this as an empty threat after the example they set with the credit dupers.

Indeed.

Credit dupers? Oh, here's a 7-day ban (slap on the wrist). And while you're at it - keep the credits you made.

The economy will be just fine.

Varna

So what's the deal with AA now? Does the new patched in setting override anything we do with ini's or nvidia inspector and whatnot?

Depends on if you have it set to override in you CP I imagine. Bigger question is... I don't understand what the settings mean...

Low x 2
Med x 4
High x 8?

Top Bottom