• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Tacitus_

I rather they not turn the game into a teleport fest like has happened to so many MMOs, but they do need to streamline alot of travel paths and give more quick options. Sell us planetary passes for quick travel like the fleet passes, allow mounts in space ports, remove the airlocks, allow us to choose between station/planet to load into, more fleet shuttle locations, players can summon other players to their instance, etc, etc. Just continually tweak this to speed up travel times.

And increase the speeds of our mounts. Heck just 10% boost on all three ranks would be nice little boost. And hoping they add even faster mounts eventually

That pretty much covers it. And they should look at the mount knockoff damage since it's so inconsistent. With the way they've peppered the roads with mobs, it's too damn annoying to travel to most of the places. Thankfully the lvl50 daily areas don't suffer from this or I'd probably stop playing.

Miletius

I actually quite like the feeling of exploration and appreciate things like travel time (which I miss in WoW). I agree that the spaceports are kind of excessive, but I'd almost want them to take it a step further and have future dungeons actually be out and about in the land instead of all within easy reach of the spaceport. They will need a proper dungeon finder tool though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I rather they not turn the game into a teleport fest like has happened to so many MMOs, but they do need to streamline alot of travel paths and give more quick options. Sell us planetary passes for quick travel like the fleet passes, allow mounts in space ports, remove the airlocks, allow us to choose between station/planet to load into, more fleet shuttle locations, players can summon other players to their instance, etc, etc. Just continually tweak this to speed up travel times.

And increase the speeds of our mounts. Heck just 10% boost on all three ranks would be nice little boost. And hoping they add even faster mounts eventually

Streamlining will be good.

I guess it makes sense to have a bunch of planets for different terrain and floating islands for easier design but I don't think they can ever achieve good seamless immersion.

arimanius

Bioware seems to be following me around. I have an Assassin/Biochem and OP/Cybertech. :|

Maybe I'll make a Sorc and a Merc and see what happens in patch 1.1.3.

Ken

I have a some what stupid question, are Blaster Rifles/Assault Cannons basically like lightsaber/vibrosword choices for weapons for their class? I really don't like carrying around a big AC, I'd rather rock a BR. I haven't came across a single quest reward for a BR, so I was curious.

Vanguards don't have the passive ability "Weapon Proficiency: Assault Cannon" so we can't equip ACs, and I assume the same is true of Commandos and Blaster Rifles.

I can help you run Athiss today after 4 PM PST.

You can use a rifle with commandos, but some of your abilities require an AC to use. I used a rifle for a little bit a few times since it was a nice big upgrade for my char, but you will usally want to have an AC.

Tess3ract

Banned
That's just the thing, it's not that sages/sorcs are overpowered, they just have the kitchen sink in terms of utility.

You'd have to redesign the whole fucking class

Emitan

They never would, because it would mean less playtime which equals less money, but the Legacy system should make it so that your characters gain so much XP from their class quest they can skip everything else.

Tess3ract

Banned
I just know they're going to nerf the class, but if anything there should be a fix for the disparity levels for expertise.

I have almost no expertise, and my bubble is ripped through instantly by battlemasters.

But on battlemasters, it takes for fucking ever to rip through their shield, especially if they're guarded. It's not the bubble at fault.

It's like slapping the stove for being hot because your kid burned his hand on it.

arimanius

I just know they're going to nerf the class, but if anything there should be a fix for the disparity levels for expertise.

I have almost no expertise, and my bubble is ripped through instantly by battlemasters.

But on battlemasters, it takes for fucking ever to rip through their shield, especially if they're guarded. It's not the bubble at fault.

It's like slapping the stove for being hot because your kid burned his hand on it.

I completely agree, but based on what they did with the OP nerf they won't take that into consideration.

lol the discrepency on how powerful the sorc is at everything heal wise vs a merc or op is almost comical

Yea a sorc with AOE heals during our 16 man woulda made things so much easier. It really doesn't make sense that mercs can only heal 3 with our puny aoe and ops can heal 4 :/

What's the nerf? Surprised that ac was targeted but then again, this is bw.

Been hearing its a nerf to hybrid builds

For the new 50s out there, I've updated our TORGAF guide page with some quick guides as to how to gear up

http://torgaf.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.0

Thanks again Czar for setting this up

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Just read the changes. That's probably an overall buff to hybrids than a nerf. Pubbies are bad and don't think/read.

FLEABttn

Banned
they really need shuttles as a fast travel to planets. I honestly never want to do dailies because it's a 15 minute bullshit trip just to GET to them. fuck right off with that shit, bioware. and it would make me never want to help someone on a quest for the same reason

The way their dailies are set up are shitty anyways. They took bonus series quests and made them repeatable with no good mechanism in place to explain why the hell these quest lines are repeatable.

They take too long too. An hour of PvE dailies every day, sure. But it's 2 hours or more, grouped, even if you skip the 4 person daily on Belsavis (Rep side). Regardless of the carrot at the end, the treadmill is so shitty I don't even want to bother.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
In the patch notes posted a few posts back. It's not totally a nerf really, as there are some buffs as well.

Yeah, the buffs outweigh the nerfs. I totally see what bw is aiming for with these changes. The buff to kinetic top talents is very interesting but probably not enough to move from hybrid builds.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They take too long too. An hour of PvE dailies every day, sure. But it's 2 hours or more, grouped, even if you skip the 4 person daily on Belsavis (Rep side). Regardless of the carrot at the end, the treadmill is so shitty I don't even want to bother.
Dailies take my usual group of 3 (Empire) no more than 2 hours max usually (skipping the Belsavis heroic 4 daily as we don't have a stealth guy who can easily finish it for us in minutes), and we can probably cut the time even more if we really want to streamline things as we spend some time selling extra crap/checking mail/etc in between missions at times. Maybe the layout of the missions on the Empire side is easier to do efficiently compared to Republic?

Ramirez

Vanguards don't have the passive ability "Weapon Proficiency: Assault Cannon" so we can't equip ACs, and I assume the same is true of Commandos and Blaster Rifles.

I can help you run Athiss today after 4 PM PST.

Nah, the BR was available to use for me.

You can use a rifle with commandos, but some of your abilities require an AC to use. I used a rifle for a little bit a few times since it was a nice big upgrade for my char, but you will usally want to have an AC.

And I guess this settles that. :( I hate being pigeonholed into a certain type of weapon, they're both guns, why make some abilities require an AC, meh.

FLEABttn

Banned
Dailies take my usual group of 3 (Empire) no more than 2 hours max usually (skipping the Belsavis heroic 4 daily as we don't have a stealth guy who can easily finish it for us in minutes), and we can probably cut the time even more if we really want to streamline things as we spend some time selling extra crap/checking mail/etc in between missions at times. Maybe the layout of the missions on the Empire side is easier to do efficiently compared to Republic?

Maybe, I've no idea. Story wise though, they'll all dumb in that they don't further some goal that requires repetition. Why is this pilot crashing every single day in Ilum? Who allows this guy to fly anymore? Why are we killing the same Rakata guy every single day? Why do I have to weld the door shut every single day. Someone else needs to come weld this shit if my welds don't fully hold 24 hours.

Tess3ract

Banned
It's like 30 minutes if you're grouped up with even one other person and spam spacebar (and if you aren't you should be).

lol the discrepency on how powerful the sorc is at everything heal wise vs a merc or op is almost comical

I was talking to my friends who play Smuggler/trooper and their aoe heals are weak as hell in comparison. Change Kolto bomb/cloud to "all enemies within x yards" like the sage heals, and suddenly all their complaints will be lessened.

This doesn't mean "nerf sages", this means "make the other classes as good".

Sages are perfect how they are now, but other classes don't have the same kind of utility and throughput as a sage, simply out of design.

example: change kolto bomb to heal the same amount and overall cost as salvation, but allows to keep the bursty feel. Targets all allies in x yards.

Example: change kolto cloud to heal the same amount over time, as the savlation initial heal plus hot per character in the designated area. Walking into the cloud initiates the hot

Patryn

And I guess this settles that. :( I hate being pigeonholed into a certain type of weapon, they're both guns, why make some abilities require an AC, meh.

Why the hell do all the troopers have a blaster pistol on their hip, but they can't equip those?

Tess3ract

Banned
30 minutes might be rushing, or based on one planet. it's been a while. Having someone grouped up absolutely speeds them up though.

Why the hell do all the troopers have a blaster pistol on their hip, but they can't equip those?

Agents are the same, it's for cutscenes when you threaten or execute people.

Assume it's because it's easier for them to do the cinematics instead of having to keep in mind all the different types of weapons

frequency

Assume it's because it's easier for them to do the cinematics instead of having to keep in mind all the different types of weapons

They should have just had everyone threaten/execute in cutscenes with their fists. That'd be like way more awesome.

Fixed1979

I did Essles last night for the first time on my alt, and ended up disappointed that I didn't do it on my main. My alt is going dark and that FP actually kind of made me feel bad. I've only done a couple FP's at the higher levels but they didn't seem as near thought out as this one.

aett

I've stopped playing my level 44 BH for now because my server is too dead and Belsavis has been boring me, and all I've done over the last few days is bring up a few characters to level 12 to see if I want to play them. None of them (Gunslinger, Operative, Marauder) are really grabbing me, but I do like the Op and Mara stories so far.

markatisu

I think it would be hilarious to see the Trooper pull out that monstrosity of a assault canon to threaten someone lol

Hari Seldon

So I just hit 50. For the 3 PVP Warzone Daily, can you stretch that over 2 days? So win 2 games on one day then win 1 game the next day and turn it in?

Zafir

You don't need a stealth guy, just do a suicide run. I generally mount up, pull all the mobs next to all 3 buttons, while other people press the buttons. Since that's usually the last quest we do in that section, after the buttons are pressed we can just die, get sent back to the camp and hand in. Then just use our QT to teleport to the other daily quest area. The money you get from the dailies makes up for repairs.

Hari Seldon

Yes, however, you lose your ability to get the daily the next day.

Edit: I think at least.

Cool thanks. On my server the Republic just fucking destroy us in every warzone, so huttball is the only hope I have to win. So it takes quite a few Warzones to actually get 3 wins.

Macattk15

I'm a Sage and I can't hear you over all this noiTRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLE

Pfft that's not even the best PvP spec IMO for Mercs! I've been able to dish out more consistent damage to a wider range of people as Pyro than Arsenal.

Maybe I just hate "turret-style" dps.

squidyj

I'm a Sage and I can't hear you over all this noiTRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLETRACERMISSLE

There should have been a heatseeker after the third tracer. That merc doesn't know what he's doing.

also, a rail shot after the fifth or held for finish power.

I'm only 27 on my merc and a lot of the talents that make my character more than just tracer spam are just coming up. I already usually top damage in warzones, kind of scares me what I'll be able to do with an amped rail shot, unload, and heatseeker.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Republic are starting to win more on Keller's void since 1 in 100 empire sorcs are healers (you're lucky if you get 1 healer on your team), while the entire republic team is usually composed of 2 commandos, 2 vanguards, 2-3 sage healers, and 2 whatever (usually jedi guardians). Just can't kill anyone when half the team is guarded, taunts are going out everywhere, and the healers just heal one another.

Heysoos

Republic are starting to win more on Keller's void since 1 in 100 empire sorcs are healers (you're lucky if you get 1 healer on your team), while the entire republic team is usually composed of 2 commandos, 2 vanguards, 2-3 sage healers, and 2 whatever (usually jedi guardians). Just can't kill anyone when half the team is guarded, taunts are going out everywhere, and the healers just heal one another.

Yeah I've noticed a lot more Healing Sages, hell Sages in general, on the Republic's side. Not sure what happened. :p

Pfft that's not even the best PvP spec IMO for Mercs! I've been able to dish out more consistent damage to a wider range of people as Pyro than Arsenal.

Maybe I just hate "turret-style" dps.

I think you're right, though Gunnery is a lot better geared for PVE. With Assault you get a lot more mobility.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've taken a hiatus since I got massively burned out on the worlds on the Republic side. Is Empire GAF still doing ok? I may want to start a character on there to see if I can stomach the Empire side of things.

Top Bottom