• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

aett

Anyone have any tricks to speed level an alt?

My Sorc is 37 and it is just too painful

As it is I am 3 levels behind the recommended but that part is not a problem, madness spec is idiot proof

--Have not run a single FP, attempt about everytime I am on station
--Do my daily WZ, but the load times to queue from a planet are borderline crazy
--Currently on Hoth which is 10 minutes of travelling between quests

arg!

I had such high hopes of having another 50 by 1.2

I'm holding off on working on my alts until 1.2. If you really hate questing, then you can even wait until 1.3 when there will be legacy unlocks that increase the amount of experience you get from PVP, Flashpoints, and space missions. (Also, 1.3 will have a legacy unlock that lets you buy your first speeder license at level 10.)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

As it is I am 3 levels behind the recommended but that part is not a problem, madness spec is idiot proof

--Do my daily WZ, but the load times to queue from a planet are borderline crazy

arg!

You can do the bonus series on Corellia maybe? That one's level 40 I think, so might be a bit hard.

Cystm

Official SWTOR Podcast.

Just a preview, but there is some interesting info on class balancing.

There is also a PvP blog, for anyone else needing as much 1.2 PvP info as possible.

Highlights:

AFK Vote Kick

Players will be able to vote to kick AFK players out of a Warzone. Any player can vote to kick a player through the group context menu. This will not initiate a vote prompt, but rather must be actively sought out by multiple players. Once a player has received several votes they will receive a prompt indicating that they’ll be kicked from the Warzone in a few seconds if they do not engage in combat or defend an objective. A player who is kicked from the Warzone in this manner will be returned to their original location before they queued, and will not be able to queue up again for several minutes.

PvP Stats

In addition to Ranked Warzones Solo and Group Ratings, players will now have several other PvP stats tracked including:

• Player Kills
  • Medals Earned
  • MVP Votes Received
  • Total Warzone Wins
  • Solo Ranked
  • Wins
  • Losses
  • Highest Rating
  • Current Rating
  • Group Ranked
  • Wins
  • Losses
  • Highest Rating
  • Current Rating

arg!

Are you doing all the bonus quests and series that you get from the basic quests? They really give you a ton more xp and the multistage bonus series often grant you far more xp than the actual original quest. Run WZ's only while on the fleet, makes load times only a few seconds back and forth and your right there to do your daily turn in. Space dailies also grant a ton of xp for only a few minutes of work.

If your three levels under that is going to affect your speed of going through content, and if your that low then you have skipped alot of quests as it's so easy to be over leveled in this game and still skip a ton of stuff. FP's really don't give that great of xp rewards even so that's not much of a factor.

For many of my lower alts I am just waiting on 1.2 personally as lot of speeding up is going on when it comes to traveling between the planets, mounts in space ports, the legacy rocket boost ability, sprint at lvl 1 quicker QT's.....

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
New Q&A was posted today.

It's all about 1.2 and most of it is stuff a lot of us know but a couple of answers about future content I found interesting:

Players have expressed some dissatisfaction with endgame armor sets – can you comment on your plans for future endgame appearances?

Daniel Erickson: We have heard the community loud and clear when it comes to armor sets. What we’ve heard the players say is, “I don’t care how high level I get, I still want my core sets to look and feel like Star Wars and like my class - cooler but not crazy. Keep the crazy to optional gear.” I will warn that creating new armor is a part of our game with long lead times so it will take a set or so before players see a strong shift in direction but we’re already working on some stuff I love and I think players will too.

So basically less ugly armor coming soon!

Regarding existing items:

We have also heard at the Guild Summit and through community feedback on the Forums that many players have built up a significant stack of custom appearances for future use in their cargo holds and would really like to upgrade these with an augment slot to make them fully competitive as end game gear. We absolutely support this and will be introducing the ability to do so in a future Game Update.

So looks like they will be adding an item to add augment slots to existing orange gear at some point. Cool stuff.

A lot of other great info about reverse engineering changes at the link.

I can't help but think that vote kick will just lead to abusing by players.

Also I see they again cave into the demand by the mass and give BH ability to battle rez.

Moaradin

Also I see they again cave into the demand by the mass and give BH ability to battle rez.

Vote kick will only work against people who are really AFK. If the player is actually doing objectives, it shouldn't kick him.

gatti-man

Ok now you are just starting to whine. The kick is only for afkers which kindof sucks but ok and the in combat res doesn't effect anyone but bh since its a pve ability only and bh are arguably the worst healers atm.

Laekon

There are more group quest and fewer solo quest than I thought there would be in this game. I'm lvl 13 on the second planet and have 3 heroic and 1 regular quest. I waited a few levels to run the first flash point solo but I still can't beat it. I like the world and story though.

Ok now you are just starting to whine. The kick is only for afkers which kindof sucks but ok and the in combat res doesn't effect anyone but bh since its a pve ability only and bh are arguably the worst healers atm.

WTF was I whining about? I am just making statement that seems to be general thrend with this dev team. Players whine and they shift their plan. Didn't they said a little while back that BH not having battle rez was part of the original design for the class. I have nothing against BH getting battle rez especially with the nerf bat they are getting.

As for kick, I am just stating my worry that it could be abuse by player as it have happen in other games.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
WTF was I whining about? I am just making statement that seems to be general thrend with this dev team. Players whine and they shift their plan. Didn't they said a little while back that BH not having battle rez was part of the original design for the class. I have nothing against BH getting battle rez especially with the nerf bat they are getting.

As for kick, I am just stating my worry that it could be abuse by player as it have happen in other games.

If you read the PVP article is says that if a player is voted for a kick they will get a pop-up saying that they need to attack someone or engage in an objective or they will be ejected, so as long as you're doing "something" you can't be kicked.

To be fair, when you say "they again cave into the demand", it does sound like whining since that phrasing implies you think it's a bad decision and that the developers are just catering to the QQers on the forums. Listening to customers is not necessarily "caving". I do remember them saying they weren't opposed to the idea of them having a combat rez at some point, I guess it was added sooner rather than later.

KePoW

Banned
There are more group quest and fewer solo quest than I thought there would be in this game. I'm lvl 13 on the second planet and have 3 heroic and 1 regular quest. I waited a few levels to run the first flash point solo but I still can't beat it. I like the world and story though.

FPs are group content, not solo.

Mercs/Commandos got a fairly hefy nerf in their healing in 1.2, and likely are going to be the lower end of the healing totem now while. It was said because of their heavy armor and more general survivability, that things would balance out, but trooper/merc heat and ammo management made it very difficult to keep up with the other classes in healing. They gave them a battle rez at least. Besides now being one of the weaker healers they also lacked a battle rez? Who would want to take a merc or commando healer in 1.2?

Prodigal

Banned
Anyone having issues with your mouse not being responsive in this game? Haven't had problems until today, not sure what's causing it.

Milly79

Wait till you try and get the one floating on Corelia lol...

the one underneath where you couldn't even see the floor? That one was easy.

So is the moving platform one there. I kept trolling the people with me cause I was able to hit it every time.

Woorloog

Banned
Shit shit shit.
I just realized, this game does not have alternative leveling planets.
Which means, i cannot alt for the same faction, i really don't want to deal with the sidequests again, as they're forgettable and boring in typical BioWare fashion (i want side-plots, that are tied to the main quest, like the planet stories are). Class and planet stories alone don't provide enough experience, i don't like doing heroics, and PVP and Flashpoints are out of question for leveling. (And don't even suggest grinding mobs)
And since i cannot alt, that leaves me no options at end-game. PVP (if it is fun, i haven't tried yet, and won't until i'm level 50) and Flashpoints are fun occasionally but i don't like doing the same dungeons again and again (at least this game doesn't have gear grind like WoW). Operations are absolutely out of question, even if they don't require gear grind to get into.
And i bet there's rather limited amount of class quests at level 50, at least until some large story patches or expansions.

Sigh...

gatti-man

Shit shit shit.
Which means, i cannot alt for the same faction, i really don't want to deal with the sidequests again, as they're forgettable and boring in typical BioWare fashion (i want side-plots, that are tied to the main quest, like the planet stories are). Class and planet stories alone don't provide enough experience, i don't like doing heroics, and PVP and Flashpoints are out of question for leveling. (And don't even suggest grinding mobs)
And since i cannot alt, that leaves me no options at end-game. PVP (if it is fun, i haven't tried yet, and won't until i'm level 50) and Flashpoints are fun occasionally but i don't like doing the same dungeons again and again (at least this game doesn't have gear grind like WoW). Operations are absolutely out of question, even if they don't require gear grind to get into.
And i bet there's rather limited amount of class quests at level 50, at least until some large story patches or expansions.

Sigh...

If you don't play pvp pre 50 prepare to get stomped. And to the rest of your post um I'm not sure mmos are your thing.

Woorloog

Banned
If you don't play pvp pre 50 prepare to get stomped. And to the rest of your post um I'm not sure mmos are your thing.

I'm no raider. Not my thing. Open world PVP, occasional dungeons (i just don't want to do each one a gazillion times), questing, crafting and exploring are all good. TOR offers nice class stories but lack of alternate leveling routes makes alting less than ideal. Didn't bother with endgame in WoW (fucking gear grind), i just made a lot of alts constantly, a lot of experimenting. Doing same quests again and again didn't bother me in WoW, unlike in this game.

As for PVP, TOR doesn't boost under-50 characters to something equalling 50, does it? Last i read about this, it didn't. And i don't want to PVP with sub-par character (not counting lack of PVP gear). And i'm not into battleground-PVP anyway, i play Halo or Battlefield to satisfy that need. Too bad this game has no proper open world PVP (objetives, conquerable territories).

MMOs are something i like, i just don't like too much organization like raiding guilds demand, ie most MMOs don't offer me anything at endgame. As i said, i'm fine with alting, if i have options.
I'd be playing EVE online and being a pirate and a mercenary if i had a computer capable of running EVE smoothly; and if Inferno were already here.

Alur

Shit shit shit.

Sigh...

What Gatti-man said. Think you picked the wrong game man.

At 50, you flashpoint, PVP, or raid. No quests other than daily quests.

Leveling up is greatly supplemented with PVP if you do it, and it's quite a bit of fun at low levels win or lose. If you don't do the sidequests or PVP/flashpoint extensively, you can't advance...so I don't know what to tell you. This is only common sense. The 5-10 quests that are part of the class chain on each planet should not be enough to level you the ~4 levels you need each planet - I don't know what you expected.

Woorloog

Banned

No problem. I can alt... oh, wait, some moron decided to not include alternative leveling planets.
Leveling up is greatly supplemented with PVP if you do it, and it's quite a bit of fun at low levels win or lose. If you don't do the sidequests or PVP/flashpoint extensively, you can't advance...so I don't know what to tell you. This is only common sense. The 5-10 quests that are part of the class chain on each planet should not be enough to level you the ~4 levels you need each planet - I don't know what you expected.

You're missing my point. This game does not offer alternative PLANETS for leveling alts. I can do Flashpoints, i guess i could try out PVP and they do supplement leveling but they cannot replace those boring sidequests. I'm not expecting the planet and class quests alone to provide enough XP to advance to next planet.
What i want, is alternative places to level up so that i don't have to deal with the same fucking side-quests with every alt. Just every other alt or so. Story decidions in this game are illusion so choices we do in quests don't offer enough variety.

I'm a MMO player who likes alting. Too bad moronic devs and most other players cannot understand that some don't want to do "endgame" but would rather continue indefinetly should that be possible or restart every now and then.

And seriously, lack of alternative leveling routes occured just today to me. The game has 17 planets, one could imagine it offers at least couple of routes. But it doesn't, which kinda surprises me, even though it should due to BW's focus on the story.

I don't think i've done two alts in WoW with same zone progression.

EDIT as for alternatives MMOs that suit me: EVE Online. WoW was fine for a long time but announcement of Mists of Pandaria killed any intentions to go back. Darkfall, if it still has players, it is after all a sandbox MMO, no? Might be others as well, can't just think of any at the moment.

Miletius

Have you done the bonus series quests? I know they are just sidequests but by themselves they are almost enough to provide an alternative set of side quests while leveling. They don't tell nearly the intricate story that main planet quests do but they continue the story of the planet and provide alternate questing content. Almost feels like they were designed with alts in mind.

Each planet starting the 3rd in your series offers a bonus series. Some provide them at a higher level than the planet itself. All unlock after you are done with your story quest on a particular planet.

Another nice thing to do is some WZ pvp right before your major level ups (20, 30, 40). There is an alternate set of gear you can get for points right at that level so it's nice to take a break from questing at that time and hit WZ.

So, I'd just hit up the first couple of planets, then rush through the story content and do the bonus quests. Cap off any extra leveling with some PvP or with a few flashpoints. You can also do space missions for experience if that's your thing.

Woorloog

Banned
Have you done the bonus series quests?
There is an alternate set of gear you can get for points right at that level so it's nice to take a break from questing at that time and hit WZ.
You can also do space missions for experience if that's your thing.

I know of the bonus series but as i haven't yet hit 50 and started alting really, i haven't bothered with those. Not really anyway, did some on Tatooine today to finish level 27.

Easy-to-get gear from PVP? Why isn't this written with large font in-game?
One minor problem with PVP Warzones, even if i actually cared to do that really: Frame rate. As i noted, i'd play EVE Online if i had a computer that could run the game smoothly all the time. PVE content works with FPS that averages beetween 20-25 but anything more serious (dungeons and PVP) is out of question to me. The controls, both KB and mouse, start getting unresponsive when under 25FPS... Not lag, average ping for me is around 70ms.
This frame rate issue makes space combat nigh unplayable as well, depends on the mission a lot though.

I am sure someone posted a similar question before (in which case I'd be glad just to read the answers he got). I am interested in this game, but I have never played a MMORPG before, and I probably won't have the time to be incredibly invested in it. I probably could play like a bit more than 10 hours per month. Price put aside, can you play a game like this `lightly'? Kind of treat it as a single player game with MMO components?

I wasn't around for the free weekends, sadly.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm a raider and have mad altitis, and I can't stand the fact there aren't different planets.

The story at most times is mildly entertaining, and only a few hours a planet. You can skim through them because the sidequests are all garbage

I'm a raider and have mad altitis, and I can't stand the fact there aren't different planets.

The story at most times is mildly entertaining, and only a few hours a planet. You can skim through them because the sidequests are all garbage

Mildly interesting? :)
So pretending the game was SP with a dash of MP on it would just result in a sucky experience?

If you don't mix things up with multiplayer content, your going to bore yourself doing the same faction alts. You can skip a large portion of the side quests in the game if you just a mix and variety of the content. If you limit your play to just the "single player" experience, your just going to burn yourself out. Playing with others and doing as much as the game offers really helps speed up leveling, and allows you to choose how to level up the way you want.

And if you want something different, then go play the other faction. If you do nothing but same faction alts especially one after another, your setting up for boredom. You get a very different game experience playing the other side.

Course it sounds like your system is pretty underpowered if your finding the space stuff almost unplayable. But also you are pretty much playing it as a single player game as others have said, which takes away alot from the game. This is a MMO, obviously many wished it was KOTOR 3 instead

Lilsnubby

The way to level in this game is to do only the class quests and pvp/space battle your way to 50 the first time. With each successive alt you do a few more side quests and/or flashpoints. I did about 20% of the sidequests my first time through and no flashpoints other than Black Talon.

Alur

The way to level in this game is to do only the class quests and pvp/space battle your way to 50 the first time. With each successive alt you do a few more side quests and/or flashpoints. I did about 20% of the sidequests my first time through and no flashpoints other than Black Talon.

I PVP'd exclusively all the way to 50 and then did the class quests I had left at 50, so /shrug.

Kem0sabe

Shit shit shit.

Sigh...

This was one of the major factors that lead me to quit the game, the lack of incentive to level same factions alts.

During the months of beta i played exclusively Republic so as to role Empire during live, but when i leveled my sorcerer to 50 there was 0 incentive to level another empire alt, no matter how awesome people said the agent story was.

No alternative leveling zones and the very very poor quality of the side quests are a very problem for bioware if they intent to add longevity to the player base. Every quest was a kill quest and every planet had the same quest progression. :(

I hate to pull a "WoW" fact, but one of the thing´s i enjoyed was that even within the same faction, races had a lot of variety to choose from, quest zone wise.

Woorloog

Banned
I hate to pull a "WoW" fact, but one of the thing´s i enjoyed was that even within the same faction, races had a lot of variety to choose from, quest zone wise.

Indeed. I admit the races and various zones didn't really change the game but... hell, gave a very strong illusion of choice and variety, far stronger than TOR's "choose one of three responses".
Hell, i almost went back to WoW when Cataclysm came, just to try out Night Elf and Orc mages...

Ah, well, i guess i've gotten enough of TOR for current sub... I intend to come back around May/June once my friend has time to play. Playing with a friend is considerably more fun than solo, and in my experience it is fun enough to offset re-doing same planets and so on.

Now to figure out what to play till May/June...

gatti-man

This was one of the major factors that lead me to quit the game, the lack of incentive to level same factions alts.

During the months of beta i played exclusively Republic so as to role Empire during live, but when i leveled my sorcerer to 50 there was 0 incentive to level another empire alt, no matter how awesome people said the agent story was.

No alternative leveling zones and the very very poor quality of the side quests are a very problem for bioware if they intent to add longevity to the player base. Every quest was a kill quest and every planet had the same quest progression. :(

This game has more leveling variety than wow. Simply because wow offers the difference between grinding baby dragons or baby fish doesn't make the game less samey. Atleast with swtor you get individual stories, the options to lvl by pvp and space battles (they give tons of XP so this actually works) and the option to skip planets and areas if you want. There is so much sp content I missed atleast a quarter of it my first play through. When I went around collecting datacrons it hit me just how much of the game I had skipped and i didn't start pvp until lvl 40.

Besides please don't act like wow lvling isn't just text kill quests in between pug dungeon finder pops. And wows lvling dungeons for me are painfully dated and ugly. I haven't played post cata but unless they reskinned and remade the enemies that hasn't changed.

1.2 here yet? *pout*

This game has more leveling variety than wow. Simply because wow offers the difference between grinding baby dragons or baby fish doesn't make the game less samey. Atleast with swtor you get individual stories, the options to lvl by pvp and space battles (they give tons of XP so this actually works) and the option to skip planets and areas if you want. There is so much sp content I missed atleast a quarter of it my first play through. When I went around collecting datacrons it hit me just how much of the game I had skipped and i didn't start pvp until lvl 40.

Besides please don't act like wow lvling isn't just text kill quests in between pug dungeon finder pops.

TOR is very generous with the xp, you can really level through alts in different manners. Just exploring and getting stuff like datacrons and lore objects gives good rewards. PVP giving good xp and money is also great, have one of my alts who is primarily just doing pvp and class stories.

The game also has way too many quests that you easily can skip tons of it. Even people who don't heroics and flashpoints are able to stay overleveled easily. Play with some friends or other players and you get a much more fun experience frankly. If visual variety of the planet is the issue though, then well there is nothing to be done but as long as you partake in a variety of content the game offers you can keep alt runs fresh.

I'm hoping not for another 2 weeks :p

Got my sorc to 41, I'll be 50 by next week. Once 1.2 hits my guild will be back in full time raid mode.

I want options to choose between my BH or Sorc, once the raids start I'll be tied to my BH

Alot of 1.2 looks good, but what I want most is simply the faster travel options and largely the sprint at lvl 1. I'm not touchnig several alts right now because of the slow ass walk at early levels.

And my legacy level is high enough for the rocket boost >:)

Kem0sabe

Besides please don't act like wow lvling isn't just text kill quests in between pug dungeon finder pops. And wows lvling dungeons for me are painfully dated and ugly. I haven't played post cata but unless they reskinned and remade the enemies that hasn't changed.

I respect your opinion but i view things a bit differently. The quest/planet progression while doing PVE is always the same for a faction, of course if you do flashpoints/space combat you can easily reach 50 while doing the Hoth heroic chain (speaking from empire experience) so that leaves 2 planet´s to spare.

The quests themselves, well, they were always kill quests with some VO dialogue for flavor, to be honest i would prefer that certain quests didn´t have voice over´s but had more interesting quest mechanics.

Take WAR´s public quests (amazing concept GW2 is developing upon), or WoW´s vehicle based quests (flying in bombing runs, dog fights, competing in races, etc), that variety would make for a more interesting time while questing in TOR.

I´m not saying that i didn´t enjoy the journey to 50 with my Sorcerer, with the exception of the crappy class quest, i had a great time, i just don´t know if i´m up to ever to put myself through it again, with the aggravation of low population´s making PVP, Heroic´s and Flashpoint groups a pain to join in.

Take WAR´s public quests (amazing concept GW2 is developing upon), or WoW´s vehicle based quests (flying in bombing runs, dog fights, competing in races, etc), that variety would make for a more interesting time while questing in TOR.

WoW's vehicle stuff was some of the worst type of quests. I could see them adding some variety, but personally they were not fun to me.

WAR's public quests, just like RIFTs were just kill quests, the only thing that spiced them up was the competition aspect I think.

What I would have liked to see is some dynamic events to spice things up like RIFT and whats coming in GW2. I got boring and repetitive in RIFT though, but it was something different.

And I think TOR dropped the ball on generally doing anything with events. They say they got stuff coming after 1.2 but really there should have been at least 1 or 2 unique limited time events since the game launched. Again RIFT did this very well where the game almost had something new going on each month with events.

Dunlop

WoW's vehicle stuff was some of the worst type of quests. I could see them adding some variety, but personally they were not fun to me.

WAR's public quests, just like RIFTs were just kill quests, the only thing that spiced them up was the competition aspect I think.

What I would have liked to see is some dynamic events to spice things up like RIFT and whats coming in GW2. I got boring and repetitive in RIFT though, but it was something different.

And I think TOR dropped the ball on generally doing anything with events. They say they got stuff coming after 1.2 but really there should have been at least 1 or 2 unique limited time events since the game launched. Again RIFT did this very well where the game almost had something new going on each month with events.

Agree with everything here (especially the horrific vehicle quests in WOW)

Also I can "blame" Rift for myself being underwhelmed with SWTOR. When I picked up Rift for $10 on Steam I had zero expectations and was floored with the great presentation, PVP trees, Events ect..

Loading up SWTOR and dealing with a ton of shit that plagued vanilla WOW a decade ago was a tough pill to swallow.

Besides please don't act like wow lvling isn't just text kill quests
It isn't. There is a ton of gameplay variety now in the questing, what I guess someone like you would call "gimmick" quests (e.g., drive a tank, chase birds through the air, plants vs zombies, etc.) . Also, each zone has a storyline post-Cata. The only difference is it's told in text, and there is no overarching class story.

the options to lvl by pvp
Also there.

It isn't. There is a ton of gameplay variety now in the questing, what I guess someone like you would call "gimmick" quests (e.g., drive a tank, chase birds through the air, plants vs zombies, etc.) . Also, each zone has a storyline post-Cata. The only difference is it's told in text, and there is no overarching class story.

I wouldn't call them gimmick quests, I call them awful. But if you want something different, they are that.

Despite being a mess of a game, I would say STO had far better ideas for quests (at least not the generic random generated ones), which involved mixing dialogue, choices, puzzles, and combat.

I wouldn't call them gimmick quests, I call them awful. But if you want something different, they are that.
Not all of them are vehicles quests (which I sometimes really hate). Some of them are a fun and different take on the game, like the one where you have to follow the hawks over the terrain in Howling Fjord as they zip around. Times when the gameplay of the quest itself was memorable. The Plants vs Zombies quest is pretty neat too.

Top Bottom