• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT2| GL HF GG

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Jeff-DSA said:
Ok...so I've won 11 of my last 12 ladder 1v1 matches and my opponent was favored in all 12. Will it just promote me already?

Maybe if you lose a game or two to reduce your uncertainty? Or you could just keep going and not worry about it ;)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Keikaku said:
'biggest and older rts in the region has talent draw over sc2'
duh.

brood war pros have had the support system of years of dedicated rts practice, ofcourse they will be strong while the game is young. the shelflife is short though, emergent sc2 pros will ultimately suplant them. there will be a new flash and jaegong dominating sc2 before flash and jaedong are liable to switch and the bw versions will find themselves too far behind.

Deadly

Keikaku said:
At the salary they're earning, I'd never switch to SC2 :lol

But sure if they did switch, they'd probably own at first but at least the other players have the potential/chance to surpass them because SC2 is still growing. I mean it hasn't even been out for one year yet! I don't know much about the competitive scene for BW but I'm assuming that Blizzard won't make any future changes to it which means they pretty much know the game in and out. On the other hand, Blizzard can change SC2 at anytime. I mean imagine if roaches went back to costing only 1 food, how fucked up would that be? Total game changer.

Keikaku

Like I said, I just found it interesting.

I didn't play BW with any deal of regularity or with anything approaching competitiveness, so SC2 is my initiation into competitive RTS playing. I never followed the BW tournament scene at all either, so I don't really have any reference point for how the scene is supposed to develop.

That said, I definitely think that we'll see better play in the upcoming years and we have yet to see any player good enough to be proclaimed as SC2's Ultimate Weapon or anything. When that does happen though . . . :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Keikaku said:
Like I said, I just found it interesting.

I didn't play BW with any deal of regularity or with anything approaching competitiveness, so SC2 is my initiation into competitive RTS playing. I never followed the BW tournament scene at all either, so I don't really have any reference point for how the scene is supposed to develop.

That said, I definitely think that we'll see better play in the upcoming years and we have yet to see any player good enough to be proclaimed as SC2's Ultimate Weapon or anything. When that does happen though . . . :D
If you learn an opening in BW and can execute an attack correctly that is basically Diamond. BW is hard.
I mean I thought I was amazing when I could attack with vultures and rally scv's at the same time from 2 base.

I want both to co-exist. SC II for foreign hype and innovation, BW for the masterpiece that it is.

mcrae

Hazaro said:
If you learn an opening in BW and can execute an attack correctly that is basically Diamond. BW is hard.
I mean I thought I was amazing when I could attack with vultures and rally scv's at the same time from 2 base.

I want both to co-exist. SC II for foreign hype and innovation, BW for the masterpiece that it is.

because of its accessibility nowadays with streams and a larger foreigner scene, improved chat in bnet+replays and etc etc... its just a matter of time untill sc2 turns into a masterpiece, imo

Q8D3vil

mcrae said:
because of its accessibility nowadays with streams and a larger foreigner scene, improved chat in bnet+replays and etc etc... its just a matter of time untill sc2 turns into a masterpiece, imo
i think it will turn into masterpiece when they release the two expansion and reach the final point in balance.

V_Arnold

Q8D3vil said:
i think it will turn into masterpiece when they release the two expansion and reach the final point in balance.

Bah. It is not a binary thing like that. It is a long process, not just two expansions. But everything, every metagame shift, every tournament, every single piece of data examined and the game being adjusted between them.

It is like saying that for you to travel 300km, you need to pass the 100km, the 200km and the 300km marks. No, you need to pass all the road between :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
vGk4P.png

IIffG.png

I think his point about consistancy isn't totaly valid. Looking at all the GOM events 3 opens, 3 code S, Gom all stars, WC there has been 10 different finalists out of a possible 16 that doesn't look that consistant for sure but only the first GSL open finals hasn't included one of MC,MKP,MVP or Nestea.

Even looking at the US scene, Select, Idra, Kiwikaki and before he left Huk make up at least 2 out of every top 3 for every MLG and IPL except Dallas last year .

Not as up to how things are in EU sorry but it wouldn't suprise me if 3-4 guys make the finals in everything there either.

It's not the domination by 2 guys that BW has where 50% of finals involves both of them but these guys are always amongst it and the game is still developing.

Holden

prodystopian said:
That article reminded me, what happened to Tester? Does he not play anymore?

hes still in code S, not doing great but code S is pretty good :D his ID is Trickster, thats prob why u think he doesn't play anymore and i think hes gonna do his military thing soon :/

Hugoboss21 said:
hes still in code S, not doing great but code S is pretty good :D his ID is Trickster, thats prob why u think he doesn't play anymore and i think hes gonna do his military thing soon :/

Nice! Oh, not nice...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mescalineeyes said:
why stop there :)

yeah, I found it sorta interesting when Idra said that Roach/hydra is obsolete now. I guess he was referring to any sort of infestor play.
you cant go roach/hydra infestor, roach hydra is obsolete.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
pieatorium said:
I think his point about consistancy isn't totaly valid. Looking at all the GOM events 3 opens, 3 code S, Gom all stars, WC there has been 10 different finalists out of a possible 16 that doesn't look that consistant for sure but only the first GSL open finals hasn't included one of MC,MKP,MVP or Nestea.

Even looking at the US scene, Select, Idra, Kiwikaki and before he left Huk make up at least 2 out of every top 3 for every MLG and IPL except Dallas last year .

Not as up to how things are in EU sorry but it wouldn't suprise me if 3-4 guys make the finals in everything there either.

It's not the domination by 2 guys that BW has where 50% of finals involves both of them but these guys are always amongst it and the game is still developing.

Slightly off topic.. but EU scene is so weird compared to the others in that W3 players dominate lololol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BW is amazing.
SC2 is amazing.

Yep.

Jeff-DSA

I loved StarCraft and Brood War, but I never played the game online for some reason. I remember playing 3-4 matches against a friend and really liking it, but I was still playing X-Wing/TIE Fighter games rather than Brood War online.

With StarCraft 2 I jumped into multiplayer pretty quickly after completing the campaign and I'm playing it pretty much daily now. I have no idea what changed in my attitude toward the multiplayer side of things, but I'm glad it did.

hamchan

Q8D3vil said:

Yep, the game won't be completely balanced for a very long time because it'll only reach that point some time after the 2nd expansion and who knows when that will come out.

More Imbalanced episodes please!

fanboi

Banned
twofold said:
My favourite is the Ultralisk. How can someone so big fit into something so small. It boggles the mind!

You might think that is strange, but what about stim pack increases the damge from marines... do they stim the bullets to?!

a176

Banned
"SC2 is a new game" is a dumb argument. at its core, there is little difference between the actual playstyle of bw to sc2.

Pandaman said:
i think 3base +1/+1 neural infestor/roach is my new protoss build. >_>

i told you so

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
a176 said:
"SC2 is a new game" is a dumb argument. at its core, there is little difference between the actual playstyle of bw to sc2.
i wouldnt agree with that.
most of the skills relevant to being top tier in brood war are utterly unimportant or replaced by automatic components in sc2.

sure jaedong can command 18 command groups of units, but sc2 wouldnt even reward that level of micromanagement all that much.

I had no idea what I was getting myself into....

At work... 2nd day in a row (since getting it) with no sleep due to this game.

I've got a few buddies from another forum showing me "4 gate" builds and what not as training.... THERE IS SOOOOOOOO MUCH TO LEARN WITH HOW TO CLICK AND WHAT NOT THAT IT'S BLOWING MY MIND TRYING TO REMEMBER EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

1 major problem though. My computer is bogging down to a crawl (13fps)

I have this exact computer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147097

Do yall know if a Radeon 5670 will work in it?

I've been over on consoles for so long I forgot what little computer knowledge I had. :(

Also downloaded Steam and thinking about picking Counter Strike Source.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom