• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

bitbydeath

iasip-its.gif

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Shocked What Is It GIF

Movie Reaction GIF

Basically the whole lead team behind it left Microsoft. MS will want to continue making sequels because it's one of the (or maybe THE) best selling MGS games, but not sure if the quality will be at the same level. To replace a guy is pretty easy, but all these guys at the same time maybe not.
Isn't that the same team that's making Fable? So how'd they leave if that game is still in production?

DeaDPo0L84

This is unbelievable. So is this more a performance thing or are people not liking the core game?
Over hyped with a burden any game world struggle to carry. Plus it's obvious their vision was simply not capable on the current engine. It legit feels/looks like an old game. It's only positives are when compared against other Bethesda games, against others the shortcomings become even more noticeable.

ZehDon

Frankly I'm surprised FO76 reviews that high...
FO76 has actually improved a lot since its release. I have a few mates who absolutely swear by it. For Starfield, a good number of its negative reviews are due to PC performance. Bethesda didn't really treat NVidia hardware well, and since that's about 80% of the market, they're seeing the results of that. I imagine once they get that fixed up, the reviews will trend higher.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah SF should be in the 80s. low 70s is way too low.

It isn't too low. Remember, a lot of people are voting the game down because of horrible performance even with rigs higher than the recommended specs. So the rating given for a lot of people isn't even about the game itself. Entirely legit reason for downvoting the game so the score is what it deserves. When they fix the issues, I expect the score will begin moving back up.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Had bethesda just make elder scrolls 6 or fallout 5 in one seamless open world map with point of interest to explore, with some better looking npcs, slightly more in depth quests, the game would have fared better. They seemed to lost focus since fallout 4. That game they focused on outposts, reduced dialogue and questing, got crushed by witcher 3, now they expanded outposts and add space combat but completely destroyed their open world exploration, companions and questing, got crushed by Baldur's gate 3. It's clear that bgs and todd simply don't get what majority of players want. Now that there are leaks saying MS think Baldur's gate represents a dying genre and won't sell well, they have completely misread what the gamers want and it's going to be some tough times ahead for them, because many other studios are making games base on this view they have, many of their studios are so deep in development and cannot make changes anymore. Will see if modders can do some magic in starfield. Todd needs to go back to their roots, if they can't even do their basic rpg elements good enough, stop thinking about outposts, space combat and other new features.

GHG

Gold Member
Congratulations to all Sony fanboys infiltrated Steam. We did it!

Mission accomplished Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping

Over hyped with a burden any game world struggle to carry. Plus it's obvious their vision was simply not capable on the current engine. It legit feels/looks like an old game. It's only positives are when compared against other Bethesda games, against others the shortcomings become even more noticeable.

Yep, it's right there in the steam guidelines to developers:

vDhNqT9.jpg

Telling people that the game is well optimised and that they can walk round entire planets on twitter a couple of days prior to release aren't particularly good ideas.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This update means that Starfield is now officially the worst-reviewed Bethesda game on Steam, with the highest negative review percentage from verified buyers on Steam.

Negative Reviews Percentages of Bethesda Games:
  1. Starfield (27.53%)
  2. Fallout 76 (27.51%)
  3. Fallout 3 (20.69%)
  4. Fallout 4 (17.40%)
  5. ESV: Skyrim (5.1%)
  6. Morrowind (4.64%)
  7. Oblivion (4.39%)
It is also interesting to note a sharp decline in Bethesda's games' Steam user reviews in the last decade.

Until Skyrim, the percentage of negative reviews was between 4% and 5%. In the last decade, it has been hovering between 17% and 28%. This may indicate a general decline in the quality of Bethesda games and its disconnect with their most loyal audience group, PC gamers.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Mission accomplished Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping

Yep, it's right there in the steam guidelines to developers:

vDhNqT9.jpg

Telling people that the game is well optimised and that they can walk round entire planets on twitter a couple of days prior to release aren't particularly good ideas.
And then doubling down in an interview post release saying it's not the game that is having performance issues but it's the gamers who need to buy new computers.

That was 2nd job Sony PS3 moment right there.

FO76 has actually improved a lot since its release. I have a few mates who absolutely swear by it. For Starfield, a good number of its negative reviews are due to PC performance. Bethesda didn't really treat NVidia hardware well, and since that's about 80% of the market, they're seeing the results of that. I imagine once they get that fixed up, the reviews will trend higher.

And it seems a lots of here does not remember this review value when FO76 was released, it was in the 50%. Won't be surprised if Starfield will be back around 80% in the future.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Isn't that the same team that's making Fable? So how'd they leave if that game is still in production?

My understanding is that the best people in Playground Games who used to make Forza Horizon are the ones doing Fable, and are still there. The B-team who made Forza Horizon 5 (which for those of us familiar with it had a lot of shortcomings despite being pretty) are the ones who have quit.

It seems unthinkable there won't be a 6th game, but I don't know who will make it. Obviously the foundations in the form of the engine are already there and Turn 10 is involved with that too IIRC. Maybe internally PG would move some people away from Fable if needed.

Valkyria

Banned
just finished the game, lets just say i think it deserves its user score lol
Absolutely. There is a base to like, but the execution it’s lacking. Some factions have good moments in their quests, building ships it’s fun. But at the end of the day the whole in game universe doesn’t make sense and you are not making any real exploring.
And the main quest it’s an insult to the fact they sold this game as NASA Punk.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Makes sense.

The game just isn’t compelling, innovative or exciting enough. I can see the score continuing to drop as people realise there’s nothing much about this game that’s creatively interesting or fresh.

It has a some decent constituent parts, but the whole is a bit lacklustre.

Bethesda desperately need a new games engine, and a much better focus.

Ginzeen

Banned
This update means that Starfield is now officially the worst-reviewed Bethesda game on Steam, with the highest negative review percentage from verified buyers on Steam.

Negative Reviews Percentages of Bethesda Games:
  1. Starfield (27.53%)
  2. Fallout 76 (27.51%)
  3. Fallout 3 (20.69%)
  4. Fallout 4 (17.40%)
  5. ESV: Skyrim (5.1%)
  6. Morrowind (4.64%)
  7. Oblivion (4.39%)
It is also interesting to note a sharp decline in Bethesda's games' Steam user reviews in the last decade.

Until Skyrim, the percentage of negative reviews was between 4% and 5%. In the last decade, it has been hovering between 17% and 28%. This may indicate a general decline in the quality of Bethesda games and its disconnect with their most loyal audience group, PC gamers.

This will age like milk like all your predictions 😛

Review scores can go up. It won't be the worst reviewed Bethesda game on steam in the future. Ya digg?
Absolutely, and we all hope that it will happen! But today the game is at 72% so he can't be wrong today? To be honest it gives me a bad taste to see the bad reviews instead of the good ones. But the point is true. Starfield is the worse reviewed Bethesda game according to Steam reviews. As long as they don't abandon the game it will get better someday. They fixed F76, so Starfield can't be harder to fix.

Ginzeen

Banned
He's talking about now though.

The only thing that's aged like milk thus far is the premise of this thread.

Sure. But it won't be that for long. Bethesda games get better over time. We still need the optimization and bug fixes patch, the shatter space expansion and the mod tools release. Starfield will have big strong legs.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Makes sense.

The game just isn’t compelling, innovative or exciting enough. I can see the score continuing to drop as people realise there’s nothing much about this game that’s creatively interesting or fresh.

It has a some decent constituent parts, but the whole is a bit lacklustre.

Bethesda desperately need a new games engine, and a much better focus.

I agree.

I applaud them for making a complete concept, feature rich game with lots of content. What they stated the game is, is what you play at release from ship building to base building to ship battles to stealing ships to joining different factions, I can't ignore this as those elements really make this game....

But ultimately, even with being a big Sci-fan, buying this game day 1, buying that cool ass controller (and dat fucking beanie lol), I have to call a spade a spade. Starfield is an amazing concept...if released in 2008, its still a great concept now btw, but what its lacking could have made it much more. The engine is dated and its why you are seeing load screen after load screen after load screen. In a game like this, we want to immerse ourselves, we want to feel like we are in the game and being some space solider or explorer or pirate (and the game does a great job at having factions (guilds) that allow the player to do that) simply those loading screens remind you, you are playing a game everytime.

If someone puts 100 plus hours in Starfield, I need some of you to factor that it means they also spent HOURS of that time looking at loading screens.

I would not be surprised if the element of space is lacking in terms of exploration because of that engine.

So I think Starfield 2, new engine can do great things and expand this idea.

Motherships where you can house smaller ships (Think the Great Fox on Starfox)
Being able to have land vehicles in the ship when you land to properly explore a planet
All of that sounds amazing to expand in this idea, but not to shit on the game, its core concepts is still intact and a sequel for must of us will expand the general idea of what this is vs complete it. I feel from what I've played, its a solid concept, merely that its dated engine stops it from really being a masterful experience.

Nothing in Starfield is new, fresh or never been done before, but as a whole, everything combined, its a one of a kind type of game that doesn't really have close second when it comes to this type of single player RPG, but you shouldn't NEED to be a Bethesda fan to like this game, you shouldn't NEED to be a massive space fan to like this game, it feels like the team and the publisher are banking on those hardcore fans to propel this game vs offering a new unique idea to the genre.

GHG

Gold Member
Sure. But it won't be that for long. Bethesda games get better over time. We still need the optimization and bug fixes patch, the shatter space expansion and the mod tools release. Starfield will have big strong legs.

The streets never forget the state in which Bethesda launch their games in.

They should release the games that the players want, not leave it up to the modders to do the work.

This review said it best:

8JNyZ0w.jpg

AAyh6y7.jpg

They released a game in PC without a FOV slider for goodness sake. The landscape is not the same as when oblivion and fallout 3 released, they can't get away with it on the platform like they once could.

Top Bottom