• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

StereoVsn

Because they can game the system but I guess that's the way it is. We've now officially reached a new low where its not just metacritic user reviews being affected...People are willing to game the steam system which is a pretty great system, that looks to be compromised.
Vast majority of people refunding and giving a negative review aren't gaming any system. They buy a game, play it within the return window and refund it if they don't like it.

It's pretty simple, there is no conspiracy here, some people just don't like the games you like and vice-versa. Like Todd said: "It just works". 😉

yurinka

Starfield Steam user reviews keep slowly improving, it may end becoming the game of the week in Steam:
image.png

image.png

Flutta

Banned
My point is there may be a few of them, but there is no way that the score is meaningfully influenced by them. Steam has over 33,000 user reviews now. Even if 1,000 users went to this extreme length (which I SERIOUSLY doubt), it'd not shift the average from, say, 90% to the current 79.43%.

There are currently 1,488 reviews with a playtime of less than 2 hours. As you can notice in the following image, some of these reviews are actually POSITIVE (1st). While others are still playing the game (2nd), which means they do not belong to the group whose plan was to refund the game and review-bomb it. They spent their hard-earned money but just didn't like the game.

ZZzp4BB.jpg

Would there be a few people who review-bombed it? Sure.

Would it have a meaningful negative impact on the average score? No. That's not mathematically possible based on the above stats.

To me it’s obvious what Dech and all the Xbox fanboys in here and elsewhere are trying to do… they want to blame Sony fanboys for everything going wrong with Xbox. This isn’t the first time they tried this tactic. They did it in REEE That’s why XboxEra was created and also led to the majority of PS fans being banned from that purple forum because of all the crying from the green camp. These people are sick.

I mean everyone else totally loves Starfield except for PS fanboys. PS fanboys are the only ones who hate Bugthesdas lates games… LMAO menal gymnastic at it’s finest or victim complex you decide.

Only reason why we are in this mess is because of all the astroturfing and shilling That’s been going on for so long for this game and Todd’s lies on top of that… and now look how it all blew up on their faces.

Elysium44

Banned
I noticed plenty of the bad reviews are from people who did not buy on Steam and presumably do not have the option of a refund - ie. reviews with the 'key' symbol rather than the Steam symbol. So this gives the 'people are buying it just to review bomb and refund' conspiracy theory even less credence.

edit - eg.

asqu4MP.jpg

Last edited:

Roberts

Yeah? Now try to find a shop or any other point of interest outside of a quest.

It's easily one of the worst UI in a triple A game that i remember. Specially when you consider that the game need a good UI because doesn't even have a traditional open world.

It's more like of a huge list of handcrafted hubs with some procedurally generated content on the planets, but without a "over world". And the "list" isn't well developed.

I get it. As I said, my game sharing friend had the same issues. There are probably better ways to design UI considering the complexity of the game’s objectives and inventory but I guess it’s me adapting to this and getting used to that because I truly love the game. I remember my first trip to New Atlantis and literally being overwhelmed: where is the damn shop that sells titanium? But I travelled around, got used to geography and found/memorised all the hubs in the city. Before the game came out, I kind of hoped that the game will portray the same feeling that I got out of watching Ad Astra - that humanity needs to go to stars but is not exactly ready for it. Everything is on the brink of breaking down and fortunately for me, Starfield is a little bit like that. So, a messy and inperfect UI and inventory is almost part of the whole package. Yeah, but that is just me.

Reactions: Gp1

feynoob

Banned
I noticed plenty of the bad reviews are from people who did not buy on Steam and presumably do not have the option of a refund - ie. reviews with the 'key' symbol rather than the Steam symbol. So this gives the 'people are buying it just to review bomb and refund' conspiracy theory even less credence.
If people are spending money on the game, their reviews is meaningless. Because the spent real money buying the game.
If they refund the game, then they lose nothing.

At the end of the day, you have to spend money to play the game or sub to gamepass. Either option, the owner of the game wins it.

Flutta

Banned
So because the steam reviews are not trending in the direction you hoped you now think they are "compromised"?

Get a grip man. A lot of the negative reviews are being filtered out (negative reviews from accounts with low steam levels and negative reviews with really low play times) if not the score on the steam page would be identical to the one on steamdb which is currently under 80% positive. The filters and system are working as intended.

These are the 3 most recent negative reviews being displayed on the steam page at the time of writing:

iaS5FP4.jpg
YA2k8oJ.jpg
rbYwBdL.jpg

What exactly are you crying about? Should the guy who is having performance issues not be allowed to share his view on the product he's paid for?

He’s trying to create a narrative. They care more about Xbox winning some GOTY award than delivering good quality games it seems.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
I get it. As I said, my game sharing friend had the same issues. There are probably better ways to design UI considering the complexity of the game’s objectives and inventory but I guess it’s me adapting to this and getting used to that because I truly love the game. I remember my first trip to New Atlantis and literally being overwhelmed: where is the damn shop that sells titanium? But I travelled around, got used to geography and found/memorised all the hubs in the city. Before the game came out, I kind of hoped that the game will portray the same feeling that I got out of watching Ad Astra - that humanity needs to go to stars but is not exactly ready for it. Everything is on the brink of breaking down and fortunately for me, Starfield is a little bit like that. So, a messy and inperfect UI and inventory is almost part of the whole package. Yeah, but that is just me.
There is mods that fixes these UI.

There are other mods like that too.

Right now, I am only playing it on gamepass pc, before I buy the steam version. I need the mods for steam version, before I buy it.

feynoob

Banned
Bethesda took the easy route, instead of making a new engine and paid the price badly.
No need to defend this game.
Wide as an ocean - shallow as a puddle.

If you design your game to consist of cells within cells and on top of that, divide everything within with loading screens, it kills the flow of the gameplay and immersion pretty effectively. Towns and procedural sandboxes created upon landing on planets, should be at very least dynamic and seamless for the player to explore. It's tedious, that you have somewhat limited sandbox to play in any given time and yet, you still need loading screen for every single shop, office, hatch, alley, cave, ship and whatever there is.

This kind of game design is not a standard anymore, maybe it was 15 years ago when Fallout 3 came out, but not anymore. There's a lot of games, that do this pretty seamlessly or unnoticeably and let player just walk into places, without loading into a new instance every couple of minutes.

Let's say you wanna do a simple task, go sell your junk after a simple fetch quest and go talk to NPC on another planet, you have 15 loading screens coming.

"
Exit planet loading screen
Enter orbit loading screen
Land planet loading screen
Exit ship loading screen
Enter shop loading screen
Exit shop loading screen
Enter ship loading screen
Exit ship loading screen
Enter building loading screen

Talk to NPC!

Exit building loading screen
Enter ship loading screen
"

It's atrocious design.

All this is managed via relatively unintuitive and slow UI. By slow I mean that you need multiple key inputs to do anything and almost all inputs require HOLD instead of TAP. This combined with transition-animations makes UI feels sluggish. If I hit my map open while fighting, I need 3 inputs or one long hold to get back to shooting. If I open my inventory, I can't use hotkey to immediately open my quest log, first I have to close inventory, then open quest log.

Here's the biggest cons with short examples included:

-Terrible story.

This is subjective, but it's nothing but a series of fetch-quests. Go to planet X and pick up Y. Ending is the ultimate sci-fi cliche, just so you have a "story-related" reason to keep on grinding the game over and over again. Bland and forgettable characters, choices have no consequences.

-Engine, graphics and animations feels outdated.
Ugly dull NPC's, mediocre graphics, old mechanics, gunplay has no punch to it and melee is awful. Game just feels in general it's decade old, tasteless, odorless, without any grit or attitude. Quests are mostly just generic fetching.

-Bad, overcomplicated sluggish UI.
No colors, no icons and when picking up items there is no details. You just have to know is the item junk or not. You can't preview stats of an helmet before you pick it up and you have to go in your inventory to check it. It's minimalistic to the point where it becomes a burden.

-Bad AI.
At harder difficulties, enemies are nothing but a bullet sponges.

-Bugs.
Perk progress gets bugged, stealth is bugged, NPC's floating through the world, worst case breaking quest lines, input prompts go missing, ragdolls and items are flying in the air, enemies see and shoot you through walls, game says you're in combat when you're kilometres away disabling fast travel.

-Loading screens everywhere non-stop.

feynoob

Banned
I read your post twice and still don't understand it.
If you pay for the game, the game did it's job by making you spend money.
If you get your money back, you didn't lose anything.
Essentially, people spent money to review the game. Whether they like or they didn't doesn't matter in this case.

The end game is making money from the game.

Elysium44

Banned
If you pay for the game, the game did it's job by making you spend money.
If you get your money back, you didn't lose anything.
Essentially, people spent money to review the game. Whether they like or they didn't doesn't matter in this case.

The end game is making money from the game.

Did you miss the reason why I made the post, it was in response to the idea floated here that people are leaving negative reviews because they can refund it. People who buy Steam keys on 3rd party sites can't refund it.

Also how did the game do it's (sic) job to make money if people refund it? (rhetorical, please don't answer, I don't need a headache trying to decipher another cryptic post)

Last edited:

Jemm

Bethesda took the easy route, instead of making a new engine and paid the price badly.
"They should just make a new game engine" is easy to say, but it's usually worse alternative than fixing the old one.

Creating a new engine from scratch would probably have doubled the development time and it would still have bugs. Not the old ones, but different bugs and performance issues. This applies to all the studios with custom game engines.

Either they keep updating their current engine or tune an existing engine, like Unreal Engine, to fit their needs. I doubt it would work with Bethesda's games without major changes. All the other game engines are just updates of their older versions, anyway.

feynoob

Banned
Did you miss the reason why I made the post, it was in response to the idea floated here that people are leaving negative reviews because they can refund it. People who buy Steam keys on 3rd party sites can't refund it.

Also how did the game do it's (sic) job to make money if people refund it? (rhetorical, please don't answer, I don't need a headache trying to decipher another cryptic post)
I am just shitting on the people that think reviews means something.
Unless the reviews are in the red area, it means nothing.
People will still buy the game. That is all that matters these developers.

People here are just arguing over nonsense.

feynoob

Banned
"They should just make a new game engine" is easy to say, but it's usually worse alternative than fixing the old one.

Creating a new engine from scratch would probably have doubled the development time and it would still have bugs. Not the old ones, but different bugs and performance issues. This applies to all the studios with custom game engines.

Either they keep updating their current engine or tune an existing engine, like Unreal Engine, to fit their needs. I doubt it would work with Bethesda's games without major changes. All the other game engines are just updates of their older versions, anyway.
Creation engine passed it's prime and it's just a shelf of itself at this point.
It can't handle all these complex tasks that exist these days.
You can't make a seamless experience, because the engine can't handle that. You have to create cells for each objects, which causes tons of loading screens.
Vehicles are hard to make on this engine.

At least a new engine would have helped them with these issues.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
To me it’s obvious what Dech and all the Xbox fanboys in here and elsewhere are trying to do… they want to blame Sony fanboys for everything going wrong with Xbox. This isn’t the first time they tried this tactic. They did it in REEE That’s why XboxEra was created and also led to the majority of PS fans being banned from that purple forum because of all the crying from the green camp. These people are sick.

I mean everyone else totally loves Starfield except for PS fanboys. PS fanboys are the only ones who hate Bugthesdas lates games… LMAO menal gymnastic at it’s finest or victim complex you decide.

Only reason why we are in this mess is because of all the astroturfing and shilling That’s been going on for so long for this game and Todd’s lies on top of that… and now look how it all blew up on their faces.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with negative reviews. No game is for everyone. What is this weird narrative some of you Sony guys are trying to make. The main point ive tried to make is that it sucks that Sony guys are purposefully finding negative reviews and saying "look, told you it isn't good" with absolutely 0 play time and no intention to. Doing some weird takes like. "Microsoft still has nothing...blah, blah"

Lots of people can see the discourse that is happening with this game on this site and across the Internet.

I have no problem with anyone not liking this game. There's plenty of reasons someone would drop it. Give it some time and the more you put in the more it gives to you. I can't really explain it more than that.

"Blame Sony for everything going wrong with Xbox" this is exactly what I mean. MS have release hi fi rush, starfield and soon forza motorsport that is getting massive praise in previews and you guys are still trying to create this narrative that everything's going wrong. They've had a great showcase this year and showed Fable. But you continue to talk about MS like you do. Think about that....what are you trying to do? Blame MS for everything you hate in life? Can't let them have any decent games?

It's weird man.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

So, a messy and inperfect UI and inventory is almost part of the whole package. Yeah, but that is just me.
Yeah, that's one approach. Personally bad UI drives me bonkers. I could deal with that shit without modding with all of Bethesda's games.

Also this is what 24th century and humanity has space travel. But they can't figure out something at least as useful as Google Maps in a medium sized town?

Bad UI wastes player's time and introduces unnecessary friction.

Last edited:

DJ12

According to how long to beat the main campaign/story only takes 18 hours. Say it isn't so, that's pretty dire for an rpg.

twilo99

Gold Member
I don't think this weekend will be as big as anticipated, the "early access" stole that thunder last week.

Those bad reviews are all coming from those sweaty Sony fanboys…. Just sayin.

🚶🏼‍♂️

I dunno.. probably some of them, but overall this game launch has been the most emotionally charged I've ever seen .

It seems to me that a lot of people were hoping to see Cyberpunk type flop with this game, but that's certainly not the case, maybe it would've been if they launched a year ago.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The gamepass reviews will include people who are playing on console. It's 30fps and doesn't even stay there.
I mean sure, but plenty of people on Steam have weak GPUs. Although I guess I have no idea how this runs on XSS which is over 50% of Xbox population.

Sorry to say but MS below massive sale opportunity on PC specially.

When the early Premium launch had above 242xxx users than why on launch it increase the users nearly 5% only?

1) Very bad performance on PC.
2) No update on Patches or any updates for future.
3) No encourage statement for performance fix etc but got this instead https://www.pcworld.com/article/205...arfield-todd-howard-says-upgrade-your-pc.html

At least, Sony Communication AAA+ with customers in this regard that is why imo Sony has far far brighter future in PC gaming compare to MS by just looking at Customer Communication.

StereoVsn

Sorry to say but MS below massive sale opportunity on PC specially.

When the early Premium launch had above 242xxx users than why on launch it increase the users nearly 5% only?

1) Very bad performance on PC.
2) No update on Patches or any updates for future.
3) No encourage statement for performance fix etc but got this instead https://www.pcworld.com/article/205...arfield-todd-howard-says-upgrade-your-pc.html

At least, Sony Communication AAA+ with customers in this regard that is why imo Sony has far far brighter future in PC gaming compare to MS by just looking at Customer Communication.
First time with a Bethesda PC game?

ax9lXAW.gif

KXVXII9X

I notice people wondering why the change in online discourse and the negativity and I think it does come from all the astroturfing and false promises for almost a decade. I think you nailed it there. That kind of impact doesn't go away overnight. People are more skeptical and less forgiving due to that. There is a lot of gaslighting towards people with criticism. Sadly, a lot of the valid criticism gets thrown in with the negative trolls and children.

I also notice the ones accusing others of being fanboys are the one's fanboying themselves. Since make bold assumptions about people and conclude that they are for this team or that team and act like they aren't caught up in it. We all have our biases. Biases also change. Most people are more complex. People like or don't like Starfield for different reasons. Most of the responses towards the game are neutral to fairly positive. I feel like any time I like, feel neutral, or dislike a game I have to defend it with my life and for what? People will twist words or throw out assumptions. It is exhausting. I do think the rise of clickbait headlines and hyperbole do not help. I tend to speak in hyperbole as well.

edit - eg.

asqu4MP.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom