• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Same for me. I thought it would be tedious, but it’s enjoyable busywork. I would liken it to hunting for orbs/shards in Crackdown/inFamous.

FYI a little into the central plot, you will meet a character who will buy completed planet survey data from you as well.

Stuart360

Ah man......I was walking on a moon heading towards an abandoned mine. Turned to my left and......

E5XTEOj.jpg

Jaw dropping
I got a lot of smilies in another thread when i said about 16 of my 22 hours has just been exploring random planets and taking in the sights. This pic is a prime example of what i meant.

FYI a little into the central plot, you will meet a character who will buy completed planet survey data from you as well.

Since you seem pretty decently into the game, have you done the undercover pirate quest like yet? I’m early into it, but I got to the part where you’re at the bank looking for information on lost shuttles and I could have swore one of them said it was a credit stick haul and went down on Saturn but turns out you can’t land on Saturn. Did I read it wrong? Guess I’ll just google it.

adamsapple

FYI for people playing on console.

The game has no online component and Quick Resume works brilliantly. I have been using it since early-access started and absolutely no issue coming right back into the game from a power off.

Since you seem pretty decently into the game, have you done the undercover pirate quest like yet? I’m early into it, but I got to the part where you’re at the bank looking for information on lost shuttles and I could have swore one of them said it was a credit stick haul and went down on Saturn but turns out you can’t land on Saturn. Did I read it wrong? Guess I’ll just google it.

I just started that quest line (i-e got arrested and recruited) but haven't done any of the missions in it yet. Doing the UC / Vanguard faction missions first.

-

I wanna know what's behind this big-ass door so bad ..

starfield-2023_09_05-nici8.png

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
FYI for people playing on console.

The game has no online component and Quick Resume works brilliantly. I have been using it since early-access started and absolutely no issue coming right back into the game from a power off.

I just started that quest line (i-e got arrested and recruited) but haven't done any of the missions in it yet. Doing the UC / Vanguard faction missions first.

-

I wanna know what's behind this big-ass door so bad ..

starfield-2023_09_05-nici8.png
Great shot dude.

naguanatak

So you are running two characters? I was thinking about it today but I feel like it will be too much..
No. I had a bug where my character wouldn't wear a helmet anymore and the hide suit/helmet function didn't work.
On top of that I could take the suit and helmet off on hostile planets and nothing happened. If there was an option to make my skin blue I could have roleplayed Dr Manhattan, but I decided to pick other traits and start over.

hollams

Gold Member
I haven't used NMM since using Vortex briefly on CP2077. Is it still easy download mod, install mod into the mod manager, and then launch game from vortex? or is that not the case yet?
I think you can use Vortex but with these simple mods I'm basically just extracting them into the data folder. These aren't complicated mods mainly text files so no real damage you can do to your game and to revert them you just remove the files.

clarky

Gold Member
Where on gods green earth have i picked all this miscellaneous shit up from? Kettles, Tea bags, base balls, plates, pots, pans, the fucking list is endless, i must have been collecting this shit for 40 hours without realizing it. Dropped it all on my ship now the place is a right shit hole lol.

Where on gods green earth have i picked all this miscellaneous shit up from? Kettles, Tea bags, base balls, plates, pots, pans, the fucking list is endless, i must have been collecting this shit for 40 hours without realizing it. Dropped it all on my ship now the place is a right shit hole lol.
I dunno why Bethesda even bothers with crap like this tbh.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I changed ships and had a ton of shit. Like 50 plates etc. I think it gives you all the items normally set around the ship for decor.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

You can buy a house and decorate with the items

Maddux4164

Banned
Spent 4 hours playing. Not even made it to the Lodge to “officially” get started

Got sidetracked on several side quests

Already feel like I’ve got a big decision to make

If you know… you know
8B5I94q.jpg

Last edited:

Eotheod

Okay so I had to actually stop the game for a bit to eat lunch, did not realise four hours bad gone by without much notice. This is a rare game, where you can quite literally just get lost and not even realise you are "lost" like other games would be.

I haven't even left the first actual planet where you go to stop the pirates chasing you because I walked off to find a random base full of enemies. This is what games should be about, adventures, exploring and just pure enjoyment.

Also them graphics...fuck me it is good to see Bethesda in the new age.

saintjules

Gold Member
I got a lot of smilies in another thread when i said about 16 of my 22 hours has just been exploring random planets and taking in the sights. This pic is a prime example of what i meant.

Yeah I don't have that kind of time for side stuff. The image looks awesome tho.

norm9

I dunno why Bethesda even bothers with crap like this tbh.
They're the only ones that let you pick up, examine, and manipulate everything. That separates them from every single other game developer out there.

Also, people keep writing that getting the spaceship is the moment thats supposed to be the Fallout 3 vault exiting/Oblivion sewer exit, but it's not; it's the thang a few missions later.

Was just starting up my NG+ run and I think I already bugged it because I have two active companions for some reason. Not complaining about a bug like that lol

Corian33

I’m deliberately trying to avoid getting distracted with side quests until I finish the first main story quest. Just to kinda get introduced to stuff before I go off the rails.

Somehow I’ve still managed to pick up a dozen side quests just by briefly passing through some of these places.

Anyone else find it funny you start picking up legendary and epic loot almost immediately?

Played two hours.

The graphics go from amazing to shit, quickly and often.

If they could've recaptured that freespace 2 vibe, with the space combat, that'd have been great.

I don't feel compelled to explore.

adamsapple

Just landed in New Atlantis and I’m really liking it so far. No feeling the “slow start” at all.

If your play goes like mine, you will be just doing New Atlantis stuff for the first 8~ hours, lol.

They weren't kidding when they said it's the biggest city they've made. The place is huge *and* you will get maybe 20, 30 different quests and small activities just in there.

POKEYCLYDE

I'm level 34. Haven't touched outposts yet. Have barely started any Akila or Neon City quests. Mostly constellation, New Atlantis and Cydonia stuff with a shit ton of free exploration.

Free exploration is fun, did a ton of the randomly placed points of interests. They get old after a while, but they're good to jump back to once in a while. You can also come upon really interesting points of interest that are more hand crafted.

There's some Bethesda jank. The chameleon quirk that you can get on your armor can sometimes leave you permanently invisible until you start a new session. Had a quest that I was putting off and several NPCs started talking like some major event happened (which was very confusing for me), and I couldn't start the UC security quest line until I did the quest I was putting off.

Nothing game breaking, I'm really enjoying the game so far. There is never a lack of things to do. Some tedium with travel. And those airlock doors are pain in the ass, wish they were quicker. But it's a great Bethesda game.

I feel like I've barely scratched the surface 69 hours in.

Loving it, like I knew I would. The gun play is solid but nothing special, much better than I thought it'd be though. Anyone who's intimately familiar with Bethesda games will know right away that this is easily the most polished title they've ever released. The graphics are nothing worth writing home about, but compared to their older games it's much better. The music, surround sound and game noises are all amazing.

Yep, I can really see myself getting lost in this game.

Is there a max level in the game? I am level 25 and got the achievement for that one. How far can you go in NG+?? You just keep leveling ?

Fess

Thought achievements were locked on Steam because I played the early Premium, turns out I still have zero achievements unlocked and I’ve played like 15 main quests and nearly 50 hours total 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom