• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Probably Eneba 3-month Gold keys bought 2 at a time using a promo code, stacked, and then converted with a month of Ultimate, or possibly even an Ultimate trial code if you haven't used one for a long time. Should come out to ~$4.50-$5.00/month for Ultimate. I'm not sure how that would play out in the UK.
It works quite well, did not get the promo code working, but still the 3:2 conversion worked a LOT cheaper than it would be without it and I think we will see more price hikes… so if one has to stack one should do bow before those 3 months Gold cards are pulled / unusable…

I still had it active so stacked on top of it.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

used photomode to capture image during a martian dust storm , but the dust particles dont show up in the pic
4XHGqvh.png

hlm666

Guys, how are the quests in the game? Is there a lot of meaningful side content? Are there faction questlines and such? Or is it just the main quest and the rest is radiant quest trash tier stuff?
There are other factions with questlines similar to other bethesda games. I'm currently doing missions for a corpo faction which is about corporate espionage basically, and also got another questline going with a group of space cowboys trying to keep some law an order in the frontier outposts, has some firefly/serenity vibes going on. Not sure how many major factions like that there are but I think I joined another one but havn't followed through on anything with them. I did unlock a skill with the corpo faction so i'm keen to see if other factions have good rewards like that.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
CrustyBritches CrustyBritches hey buddy what are your optimised Deck settings?

I am going with this:

Letting the Steam Deck handling vsync (did not enable the allow tearing option, but with the non native 16:9 rendering canvas I could allow tearing near the top and the bottom of the screen without noticing it at all, worth trying) actually helps. If I let the game handle vsync it would have more frequent stutters where it would drop to 29 FPS and then 31 FPS and then back with the Steam Deck OS performance counter, but not sure I felt it 😂.

Maybe I could push some graphical settings even higher and some lower and get better visuals with the same performance profile. Any advice? Any customisation with regards to brightness and contrast that is possible? (SDR looks a bit off still, but good overall… still impressed a game like this runs on a portable console… battery life will be interesting :D).
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but New Atlantis is where the shit really hits the fan. Even on lowest settings, VRS On, DRS On, Motion Blur and Depth of Field Off, and FSR2 set to 50% the majority of the time the Deck can only run it 18-22fps. In Neon you can get away with 27-30fps most of the time in heavily crowded areas. More remote portions of the game play at 50-60fps. It's the cities that really nuke it. Bummer. I've been playing on Moonlight from my PC. xCloud or Xbox remote play could be an option as well depending on whether you are playing the Xbox version.
It works quite well, did not get the promo code working, but still the 3:2 conversion worked a LOT cheaper than it would be without it and I think we will see more price hikes… so if one has to stack one should do bow before those 3 months Gold cards are pulled / unusable…

I still had it active so stacked on top of it.
Same. I tried the AKS8 code, but it didn't work. I did get another random code to work for like 3% off or something. Top_Gunner_82 Top_Gunner_82 Once again I don't know how this plays out in the UK with fees/taxes/prices. If you do it with the Gold to Ultimate conversion make sure you stack your Gold codes first to your MS account, then covert it with an Ultimate code. I have a bunch of Ultimate trial codes you can try first before buying the Ultimate if you want I'll dm them to you.

Fess

Some console commands disable achievements, as well as some mods. But there's also a mod to reenable achievements lol
I’ve not used any console commands, checked history log and there was one ”_” at the top though, no commands but I assume I opened the console once. And I’ve not installed any mods yet but did the manage game thing in Vortex.
Tried installing the mod that enable achievements now but nothing has been added retroactively.
It don’t matter much but I don’t even see the achievement section on Steam. Weird.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Solid intro so far. Just got to a point where I’m supposed to investigate an outpost, then I saw another ship land further away so I just went there instead and apparently I could just take it and fly off. So now I already have two ships I guess.

Hugare

Trying really hard to care about the game, but I feel nothing so far

- Main quest have been boring. Dont care about any of these characters or what we are doing. But main quest in all Bethesda games sucked, so I wasnt expecting much from it.
- Shooting feels ok, but it's as simple as it gets. Combat is mundane. I believe things will change once I get some abilities later on, but thus far, it's been a slightly better Fallout shooting without VATS (what makes it interesting)

But my main gripe are the loadings, man. This ruins the game for me 'cause the universe doesnt feel connected, destroying the sense of discovery.

In Skyrim, Boston or Washington in previous Bethesda titles you have a sense of place. Everything feels connected, the world feels believable.

And most importantly: the exploration loop is now ruined. In previous games when walking to an objective, you usually got distracted by a cavern, someone in danger, a point of interest.

That's what make games like The Witcher 3 or RDR 2 work, or even previous Bethesda games. You naturally get distracted by something and find an interesting quest.

But here, the game is segmented by fast travel locations. So you are always jumping from point A to point B, with no natural flow in between.

Ironically, it makes the universe seems small. I dont think of Mars as a planet, but as the place where the Cydonia hub is located.

Its like dividing all of the Skyrim's/Fallout's point of interest/hubs in islands that you have to fast travel to, with nothing interesting in between

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
2nd time crash.
I need to wait for fixed update or do some runs through xcloud (I have no Xbox series).

• Empathy
Reactions: Isa

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Not really sure where to begin here. I’m coming off a short ban that has been mostly a near non stop binge of this game. I started on Friday and so far have over 50 hours clocked with only a couple main missions done. I slipped into it pretty quickly without much adjustment time. It’s a testament to their design that you can play pretty much the exact same type of character through all of their releases. The only difference in Starfield is that I’m speccing myself out a little differently.

I can’t remember the last time I was so sucked into a game. Elden Ring comes close, but Bethesda experiences are just on a whole other level. And since I haven’t had a fresh BGS game since Fallout 4 back in 2015, I feel like this one really hit me like a bag of bricks out of nowhere. I don’t know why I doubted them. This thing is like a perfect mix of Mass Effect 1, Fallout and 2001/Arthur C Clarke. And I’m fucking loving every minute.

You know it’s something special when you look at the clock and are like “Yesssss it’s only 8pm.”

It’s insane how this game looks and runs on the Series S.

Absolutely my GOTY by far and possibly the most fun I’ve had this gen.

Last edited:

kikkis

Apart from beautiful graphics especially textures, my initial expression is somewhat negative.

-health packs suck in general in shooter to shooter gameplay. They don't even heal instantly.

-scavenging every enemy is chore. I don't even look what they have, i just spam A.

-going to menu constantly to swap gun because you don't have enough bullets.

Connxtion

I just tried it on my CX.. :messenger_persevering:

It really needs 40fps at a minimum. 30 fps isn't gonna cut it.
You get used to it 😂 BFI on low helps a tad.
(Disable the auto low latency mode can’t remember the exact name on the TV for that source, set it to game mode for that source and enable BFI. You can’t do it if the auto mode is enabled)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You can bind a dozen things to do d-pad.

Also, ammo might only be an issue very early on in the game, as you fight more people and get into more places, you'll find bucket loads of ammo in crates, dead bodies etc.

My primary weapon right now has nearly 1800~ bullets.

Connxtion

Apart from beautiful graphics especially textures, my initial expression is somewhat negative.

-health packs suck in general in shooter to shooter gameplay. They don't even heal instantly.
Buy better medpacks that do heal you quicker and more.
-scavenging every enemy is chore. I don't even look what they have, i just spam A.
It’s a choice, you don’t have to do it.
-going to menu constantly to swap gun because you don't have enough bullets.
Assign a weapon as a favourite, that way you don’t need the main (slow) menus to change gun. Quick select is quick and easy to use.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Going to get my series x tonight and looking forward to starting this!!

Any obvious tips, tricks I should know or where to start making my 1st character???
A lot of people recommend weight training except that weirdo MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh :messenger_sunglasses:. It helps increase your encumbrance and just gives you a little leeway on planning your trips back to sell things. Yes, it doesn't change the game but I find it makes it smoother and more enjoyable. If you do want to level that up, it's worth it loading up your weight and flying to a low gravity planet like Mars and doing sprints for 45 min while a podcast is on. You'll be able to run much, much farther at low gravity and level it up faster.

Crafting is a lot more important in this game than you would first think. Makes sense as we're not really super heroes in this game, but scientists collecting raw materials all the time.

I had a hard time leveling up stealth at first. I recommend going to a forest / jungle planet with animal life and doing sneak attacks on them over and over to level up very quickly.

FunkMiller

The game runs fine on Series X on an LG CX.

Have spent a couple of hours with it, and honestly its better performance than on my laptop (Ryzen 9 5900, RTX 3070, 16 gb RAM).

The 30 fps is fairly easy to put up with and feels pretty smooth.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
“Bethesda’s least buggy game” my ass. SAVE EARLY, SAVE OFTEN. And don’t count on quicksave/auto save to save your ass.

Just lost a few hours of progress (including a ship I captured worth 180,000) because I had to revert to my last manual save.

I made an edit to my ship while docked at a space station. Then next time I entered the ship it spawned me in some weird unreachable area in no man’s land. Save/reload didn’t fix it. I switched frontier and boarded/flew back to Alpha Centauri. Switched back to my other ship and it won’t appear on the landing pad. Switched back to Frontier and it appears on the landing pad but it appeared to have a mix of parts from before/after my most recent upgrade, and the entrance is sealed off, looked like another ship piece was superimposed on the landing ramp. (Both ships appear normal in the ship editor but are bugged as fuck in game).

Finally reloaded to a save 3 hours earlier. First thing I did was try to capture another ship. First time, a space pirate was stuck in some unreachable area so I couldn’t clear the ship. Second AND third times I encountered a bug where my character froze in place if I entered first-person mode.

Save/reload fixed that last one. Hopefully my save isn’t permanently bugged. Seems like practically everything about the game’s state gets saved so save/reload is no guarantee.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
A lot of people recommend weight training except that weirdo MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh :messenger_sunglasses:. It helps increase your encumbrance and just gives you a little leeway on planning your trips back to sell things. Yes, it doesn't change the game but I find it makes it smoother and more enjoyable. If you do want to level that up, it's worth it loading up your weight and flying to a low gravity planet like Mars and doing sprints for 45 min while a podcast is on. You'll be able to run much, much farther at low gravity and level it up faster.

Crafting is a lot more important in this game than you would first think. Makes sense as we're not really super heroes in this game, but scientists collecting raw materials all the time.

I had a hard time leveling up stealth at first. I recommend going to a forest / jungle planet with animal life and doing sneak attacks on them over and over to level up very quickly.

You have to waste 1 perk point to increase weight limit by 10.

Or you can buy consumable from bar in Crimson Fleet HQ that increases weight by 20. This is just one of many examples.

To me, it's a waste and I rather unlock crafting and other cool shit first.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
You have to waste 1 perk point to increase weight limit by 10.

Or you can buy consumable from bar in Crimson Fleet HQ that increases weight by 20. This is just one of many examples.

To me, it's a waste and I rather unlock crafting and other cool shit first.
It makes sense. I think you're probably much better at optimizing than I am. I was just teasing. I'm maxing out Surveying also which is mostly useless, but I'm doing so much scanning it just makes it a bit more enjoyable.

I definitely found out the crafting perks are important since I hit the stopping point on all my research projects already. Doing those very soon.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It makes sense. I think you're probably much better at optimizing than I am. I was just teasing. I'm maxing out Surveying also which is mostly useless, but I'm doing so much scanning it just makes it a bit more enjoyable.

I definitely found out the crafting perks are important since I hit the stopping point on all my research projects already. Doing those very soon.

I have hundreds of hours of experience in Fallout 4, and this is basically Fallout 4 but better and in space.

Scanner is cool to upgrade if you're into surveying... At least once, so you can scan hostile creatures from a far without engaging in combat.

adamsapple

The game runs fine on Series X on an LG CX.

Have spent a couple of hours with it, and honestly its better performance than on my laptop (Ryzen 9 5900, RTX 3070, 16 gb RAM).

The 30 fps is fairly easy to put up with and feels pretty smooth.

Yes, it's 30 FPS but a good one. The motion blur is good/decent. It's not the kind which smears everything when you turn the camera, the effect is subdued but helps mitigate judder.

I am very surprised at how engaging the combat has been.

Weight lifting was the first tree I maxed out and because of that the carry capacity is basically a non-issue now, you can also find some equipment which makes weapons/resources weigh 25% less or thereabout.

I am able to do a couple of missions, go to Atlantis, off-load everything and make a shit load of cash for it and then continue. It's become a rhythm.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Weight lifting was the first tree I maxed out and because of that the carry capacity is basically a non-issue now, you can also find some equipment which makes weapons/resources weigh 25% less or thereabout.

I am able to do a couple of missions, go to Atlantis, off-load everything and make a shit load of cash for it and then continue. It's become a rhythm.

What's your current weight limit?

KAOS

The game is basically a Mass Effect rpg with space combat, ship and base building. Create your own sci adventure! More than 40 hrs in and I've yet to tap the main story, create my own ship or base. I'm basically a bounty hunter! I've had plenty of dope combat encounters!

My favorite moment so far was running into this Grandma in space she askedme to come onboard her ship for a meal. I thought it might be a trap or that she would try to steal my ship. But she just wanted some company. Her husband had past and she was just venturing out into the universe to see the sights that they had planned to see together. She was too trusting and If I wanted I couldve killed and stolen her goods & ship! But I couldnt she reminded me of Up!

Top Bottom