• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is mine with 0 investment in the skill:

c6cjdnN.png

True, but you're using temp consumables, they might run out in the middle of a dungeon or something.

But the game having this kind of freedom of how you want to tackle is great in itself.

Some PC people are probably gonna mod out encumbrance any minute and this will all be a moot point anyway lol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
True, but you're using temp consumables, they might run out in the middle of a dungeon or something.

But the game having this kind of freedom of how you want to tackle is great in itself.

Some PC people are probably gonna mod out encumbrance any minute and this will all be a moot point anyway lol.

I might but I won't. I only use one, the one from Crimson Fleet that adds +20. I have loads of these.

To be honest, with the upgrades I've invested in additional O2 + O2 regeneration + mod that heals you passively, I can just run forever on most planets, regardless of how much I carry. I can carry more than my ship and that beast can carry 4000+ something. :messenger_winking:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I might but I won't. I only use one, the one from Crimson Fleet that adds +20. I have loads of these.

To be honest, with the upgrades I've invested in additional O2 + O2 regeneration + mod that heals you passively, I can just run forever on most planets, regardless of how much I carry. I can carry more than my ship and that beast can carry 4000+ something. :messenger_winking:

My mains are weight lifting, persuasion, max health, max o2 and surprisingly .. mercantile lol .. cause I like making lots of credits.

I should put some more in the weapon customization ones cause I'm at a point where I have resources but the upgrades want me to have customization perk level 2, 3 etc.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The assassination perk looks insanely strong. That's definitely on my list in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
N0wyciY.png

Gh1WIGB.png
GhXFgQM.png
vTPccl3.png
OkTj4Pf.png
EWPVUKT.png
jtytCq5.png
eydyo7q.png
4SW6gPy.png

Like you guys, I found the Mantis pretty early on and Ive gotten to the point where Ive blown up so many Crimson Fleet ships that word has gotten around. Sometimes when I arrive in a new galaxy in the middle of a dogfight between them and the UC, theyll see my ship and run away in terror. Ill still get thanks and rewarded from the UC just for scaring them off :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
Finished the Ryujin story line and had a blast with it, finished it twice actually because there's multiple ways it can end up and I wanted to see the two main ones.
The whole thing felt like playing a different game for a bit, almost like Bethesda's take on Deus Ex.
Overall really dope storyline and the goodies you get are great:

An amazing version of the soltice pistol, a suit that makes you 25% harder to detect and you get the manipulation skill for free!

The game isn't very good at stealth though, so unless you have heavily invested in stealth prior, there are two mission that might be a struggle to complete as a ghost; thankfully save scumming your way through them makes it relatively easy.

I like how the ship stays visible wherever it can, and how the loading screens in Atlantis are largely artificial; you can jump straight down from the city area back to the spaceport
gNm3AgP.jpg

F67Wdon.jpg

I ran into a funny random encounter in space:

She did not just leave me hanging...

Not me playing with my food :messenger_smirking:

I like how you can just ram ships to kill them, funny bit of hubris from the enemy right at the end there though lol.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
My mains are weight lifting, persuasion, max health, max o2 and surprisingly .. mercantile lol .. cause I like making lots of credits.

I should put some more in the weapon customization ones cause I'm at a point where I have resources but the upgrades want me to have customization perk level 2, 3 etc.

My strategy is always: if there's a skill that can be replaced by smart usage of gear / consumables, I'll skip on it.

So for example, I rather invest in crafting as it's fun and adds cool gameplay than in combat skills that give you damage perks. I rather mod my guns with cool stuff and achieve the same result this way.

If I can find gear / consumables that increases my capacity, I will do that, I won't invest a perk in that skill.

Etc. Etc.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I don't really have any leveling up strategy. I skipped Fallout 4. My Morrowind strategy was always to pick the skills that are easy to use since that's how you get levels, but it's kind of backwards in this one.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
J9RCjXn.png

• Text Version •

GENERAL INFORMATION ℹ️

J9uceUX.png

Modes — Single-Player
Genres — Adventure, Role-playing Game
Developer — Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher — Bethesda Softworks
Platforms — PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xcloud
Rating — Mature, PEGI 18, CERO D
Release Date — September 6, 2023

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS 🖥️

J9uceUX.png

MINIMUMRECOMMENDED
OSWindows 10 version 21H1 (10.0.19043)Windows 10/11 with updates
CPUAMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Intel Core i7-6800K
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Intel i5-10600K
MEMORY16GB RAM16GB RAM
GPUAMD Radeon RX 5700
NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
DirectXVersion 12Version 12
NETWORK-Broadband Internet connection
STORAGE125 GB (SSD required)125 GB (SSD required)

DEVELOPMENT STAFF ⚙️

J9uceUX.png

OVERVIEW 📖

J9uceUX.png

FOR ALL, INTO THE STARFIELD

In the year 2330, humanity has ventured beyond our solar system, settling on new planets, and living as a spacefaring people.
You will join Constellation – the last group of space explorers seeking rare artifacts throughout the galaxy – and navigate the vast expanse of space.
The journey you take with Constellation is just the first of many you'll embark on. The settled systems are home to all kinds of different stories, people, and adventures for you to uncover.

EXPLORE THE FINAL FRONTIER

Venture through the stars and explore more than 1000 planets. Navigate bustling cities, explore dangerous bases, and traverse wild landscapes.
Meet and recruit a memorable cast of characters, join in the adventures of various factions, and embark on quests across the Settled Systems.

CHARACTER 🧑‍🦲

J9uceUX.png

SCULPT YOUR STORY

Start your journey by customizing your appearance and deciding your Background and 3 optional traits that come with their own unique advantages and disadvantages.
Picking from a lineup of 40 presets as a starting point, craft the appearance of your character. Ranging from hair, makeup, blemishes, scars, piercings, teeth, and more.
The choice is yours to decide who you will be and what you will become.

[SKILLS]

Expand your capabilities across the 5 skills of Physical, Social, Combat, Science, & Tech.
Leveling up provides a skill point, which can be used to unlock or rank up skills.
Ranks are unlocked by completing challenges associated with that skill.

EXPLORATION 🌏

J9uceUX.png

CHART YOUR COSMIC COURSE

From the Starmap, you have an overview of a planet's info and resources. Choose a landing spot or fast travel to known locations.
You can also survey all the planets in that star system that have key locations, missions, or potential life on them.
Zoom out even further to view all the star systems in that region of the galaxy, where you can plot a course to ones that are light years away
using your ship's Grav Drive to fold space and jump to those systems. Upgrade your ship and skills to jump to the most distant ones.

DISCOVER, COLLECT, BUILD

Explore the cities and wilderness of planets. Discover the fauna, flora, and resources needed to craft everything from medicine and food to equipment and weapons.
Build outposts with livable quarters and hire a crew to passively extract materials and establish cargo links to transfer resources between them.
Invest these raw materials into research projects to unlock unique crafting recipes.

STARSHIPS 🚀

J9uceUX.png

CAPTAIN THE SHIP OF YOUR DREAMS

Starships serve as essential means of travel, enabling players to journey between planets and star systems,
engage in combat with enemy vessels, and dock and board other ships and structures in space.

[SHIP CUSTOMIZATION]

Ship manufacturers bring their own look and feel to every piece of your ship. From living quarters to cargo holds, mess halls, and control rooms.
Personalize the look of your ship and modify critical systems including grave drive, weapons, and shields.
You can have modules within your ship for crafting or storing your weapons.
Every spaceport has a ship technician where you can purchase, sell, and modify ships.

COMPANIONS & CREW 👩‍❤️‍👨

J9uceUX.png

NAVIGATE THE STARS TOGETHER

Assign companions to serve on your crew to provide unique bonuses.

Each companion comes with their own valuable skills for your ships and outposts, as well as unique quest lines.
Hire additional crew at spaceports or meet potential crew in the wild.

Eventually, some friendships might even blossom into romance.

COMBAT 🔫

J9uceUX.png

TRIUMPH OR DIE

Space can be a dangerous place. A refined combat system gives you the tools to deal with any situation.
Whether you prefer long-range rifles, laser weapons, or demolitions, each weapon type can be modified to complement your playstyle.
Zero-G environments add a chaotic spectacle to combat, while boost packs give players freedom to maneuver like never before.

[SPACEFLIGHT]

In deep space, you will engage in high-stakes dogfights, encounter random missions, and dock at spaceports.
You can hail any ship you come across to trade, swap information, and even board and commandeer enemy ships to add to your collection.

MEDIA 🎥

J9uceUX.png

ANNOUNCEMENT

TEASER

GAMEPLAY_A

GAMEPLAY_B

GAMEPLAY DEEP DIVE

REVIEWS THREAD

Dear M mortal ,
Your OTs make me want to make love to you.
Yours truly,
Toots

Kacho

Gold Member
Ive found a variety of short blades, a fire axe and right now I have a tanto equipped.

What are you looking for? A baseball bat?
I’m looking for more variety because it’s shit right now. Fallout 4 had the same issue, especially with shotguns, and it wasn’t addressed until new options were released via the Creation Club.

twilo99

Gold Member
Five hours in. Todd Howard, you son of a bitch.

Went to explore the dark side of some random moon and watched a ship land far off on the horizon. I was really impressed with the sense of scale the game throws around, so, I went in and chatted with the Captain. She was just running repairs on her ship, so I traded for some meds and wandered off. As I'm walking off, I see another ship land over near what looked like a half-buried run-down oil refinery. As I arrive, it turns out these are mercenaries, bounty hunters setup by my Wanted trait. We trade harsh words and then battle it out, and just as I'm getting the groove of the combat, the fight is over. So, I head onto their ship only to find the crew in place. We battle out close quarters, and eventually I take out their Captain and make it onto their bridge... where I find boxes of harvested organs. They're worth a lot, but their contraband (I know what I'll be trading in later) so I leave them. As I leave the ship, I see a little dust-covered door on the refinery. This leads down into a spawling multi-level complex, and there's a whole gaggle of pirates in there! I fight my way through the levels, eventually running low on health, meds, and ammo, having to scrounge for things in the environment to keep fighting. I re-program a security bot, and it helps me take down the last of them, and I score a legendary helmet from the boss. I head back to my ship with the bounty.
From the presentation, the low-gravity rag dolls, the sound effects, the sheer damn scale of it all - it's hard not to walk away impressed from just this series of random encounters strung together. It sets off the imagination in such a way I haven't really felt since I first played Oblivion, where the scale and presentation was just so far ahead of anything I'd ever seen before that it felt like the game was filled with endless possibilities. Fallout 4 was a big disappointment for me, but with Starfield, Bethesda have more than redeemed themselves.

This game fucks.

Yes, it’s good stuff.

How are they doing it? There is no way What you stumbled upon was already there so it must be randomly generated for you around the place you choose to land…

Finished the Ryujin story line and had a blast with it, finished it twice actually because there's multiple ways it can end up and I wanted to see the two main ones.
The whole thing felt like playing a different game for a bit, almost like Bethesda's take on Deus Ex.
Overall really dope storyline and the goodies you get are great:

An amazing version of the soltice pistol, a suit that makes you 25% harder to detect and you get the manipulation skill for free!

The game isn't very good at stealth though, so unless you have heavily invested in stealth prior, there are two mission that might be a struggle to complete as a ghost; thankfully save scumming your way through them makes it relatively easy.

I like how the ship stays visible wherever it can, and how the loading screens in Atlantis are largely artificial; you can jump straight down from the city area back to the spaceport
gNm3AgP.jpg

F67Wdon.jpg

I ran into a funny random encounter in space:

She did not just leave me hanging...

Not me playing with my food :messenger_smirking:

I like how you can just ram ships to kill them, funny bit of hubris from the enemy right at the end there though lol.

Funny because I've loved everything about this game, except the ryujin quests. Sneaking isn't my thing in this kind of game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Have any of you guys run into this "Mysterious Captain" yet? I grav jumped into some random planet and there was this ship just sitting in orbit there like it was waiting for me. I hailed it and on the other end was some Russian woman saying all this weird cryptic shit to me. Like premonition type stuff and it was creepy as hell. And Ive only done a couple story quests and havent touched the faction stuff yet. No idea what its connected to. Maybe because of all of the Crimson wreckage in my wake? :messenger_grimmacing_

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Have any of you guys run into this "Mysterious Captain" yet? I grav jumped into some random planet and there was this ship just sitting in orbit there like it was waiting for me. I hailed it and on the other end was some Russian woman saying all this weird cryptic shit to me. Like premonition type stuff and it was creepy as hell. And Ive only done a couple story quests and havent touched the faction stuff yet. No idea what its connected to. Maybe because of all of the Crimson wreckage in my wake? :messenger_grimmacing_

This sounds like one optional part of the Ryujin quest line, without spoiling anything, there's a Russian captain lady you can go see if you choose at one point.

----------------

Man, this game! So, I've been bouncing between Faction quests for the most part, but I have worked my way through quite a bit of the main quest as well, or at least it feels like quite a bit.
I'm blown away by how good even little side quests are, and the hijinks you can get into. As for Factions, so far my favorite is the UC Vanguard. Haven't finished it, but it's some straight up awesome shit right out the gate.

ZehDon

So, I want to focus on shotguns, but I'm seriously having ammo issues. I have to keep a standard ballistic rifle around just so I can fight. Anyone know where I can buy some ammo?

There is no way to improve performances without changing CPU and GPU ?

Dude playing at 40 fps is so trash...
If you post your specs and settings, folks might be able to point out some improvements to help your performance.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This sounds like one optional part of the Ryujin quest line, without spoiling anything, there's a Russian captain lady you can go see if you choose at one point.

----------------

Oh awesome! I applied to Ryujin early on when I arrived in New Atlantis but I havent even seen Neon yet

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So, I want to focus on shotguns, but I'm seriously having ammo issues. I have to keep a standard ballistic rifle around just so I can fight. Anyone know where I can buy some ammo?

Im mostly using an "Old Earth" 12 gauge pump. Vendors seem to carry ammo you need at random. Also once you clean them out, youll need to wait a couple days for a restock. Also note, if you're looking to use that Old Earth shotty you need to buy the regular 12G shells. Not the other types.

Zero G gun fights with a pump shotty is always a good time. I call mine The Biehn :messenger_sunglasses:

pSpWdeJ.png

I always make a pit stop at the equipment store and Trade Authority at The Well in New Atlantis. Then zip over to Akila City and hit up the general store and ammo shop. If I still need more then I go to The Exchange on Cydonia. By then Im good.

Last edited:

DosGamer

So the Dream House perk..... I am going to ignore the quest I have for it because I hear that you have to pay 500 credits a week in rent unless you can pay off the mortgage. My idea is to safe enough for the house and then open the quest to pay it off quick.
Funny how even in a video game I am trying to maximize my funds.. lol

Apart from beautiful graphics especially textures, my initial expression is somewhat negative.

-health packs suck in general in shooter to shooter gameplay. They don't even heal instantly.

-scavenging every enemy is chore. I don't even look what they have, i just spam A.

-going to menu constantly to swap gun because you don't have enough bullets.
If you favorite the weapons you have in your inventory you can equip up to 12 of them in the weapon tree.

That way you swap weapons without pausing the game.

I'm curious why you are you playing this game if you don't like scavenging? That has been a main Bethesda staple for nearly 20 years. Didn't you know what you were going to be getting?

There are plenty of space games that don't have this mechanic.

So the Dream House perk..... I am going to ignore the quest I have for it because I hear that you have to pay 500 credits a week in rent unless you can pay off the mortgage. My idea is to safe enough for the house and then open the quest to pay it off quick.
Funny how even in a video game I am trying to maximize my funds.. lol
I picked this too. But I'm surprised you have to go to the bank to actually activate the mortgage payments. I guess you have to go there to actually get the house first as well.

I haven't gone intothe bank yet and I haven't looked for my house either.

Topher

Gold Member
There seems to be a large contingent of Russian (or perhaps Eastern European?) characters in Starfield. Is there some back story that says why that is? I don't have a problem with it. Just curious.

DosGamer

I picked this too. But I'm surprised you have to go to the bank to actually activate the mortgage payments. I guess you have to go there to actually get the house first as well.

I haven't gone intothe bank yet and I haven't looked for my house either.
500 credits a week that doesnt come off the mortgage cost is not too expensive but it is just cumbersome enough that I prefer to not have it hanging over my head.

I wish there was a way to respec skill points. Tried going melee build, but melee is trash in this game. I got my Duelist or whatever skill to level 4, it was a waste. Not only does there seem to be like... no melee weapons that aren't basic knives, but the animations suck and the hit detection is even worse.

500 credits a week that doesnt come off the mortgage cost is not too expensive but it is just cumbersome enough that I prefer to not have it hanging over my head.
No it doesn't sound to bad. I just wish the game forced it upon me from the start. Because now I have no desire to deliberately fuck myself haha.

But like you, I want to save and just pay it off at once and have a house.

I also wonder if you can sell it? Or what happens if they foreclose it?

Top Bottom