• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Isa

So I met a ship with a teacher and a bunch of school kids on a field trip, stranded in space. They needed 10 ship parts and I only had 9 so I couldn't help them. Weirdly enough, I keep thinking if they are OK.
Hmm, I wonder if its a reference to the Magic School Bus?
magic school bus GIF
the t GIF

twilo99

Gold Member
I wish there was a way to respec skill points. Tried going melee build, but melee is trash in this game. I got my Duelist or whatever skill to level 4, it was a waste. Not only does there seem to be like... no melee weapons that aren't basic knives, but the animations suck and the hit detection is even worse.

Yeah it sucks.. we need some CoD finishing moves and better close combat mechanics/weapons

For anyone one looking for that Han Solo feeling, if you cause some chaos security guards will chase you all the way to your ship’s landing pad and fire at your cockpit as you take off.

You’ll even see them in the third person take off cutscene. It’s freakin wild.

Gives off such a sick vibe if you’re playing as a “wanted” character.

Tg89

Game is fun but super uneven. Seriously lacking polish.

There's aspects of it that are amazing - aesthetically, the music, the perks are interesting, main quest seems solid.
Some of it is just okay - gunplay is better than FO but nothing great.
Some of it just plain sucks - space stuff just seems like a waste of time, the map and inventory are inexcusably awful, everything around the UI just seems half baked or poorly thought out.

Mephisto40

No it doesn't sound to bad. I just wish the game forced it upon me from the start. Because now I have no desire to deliberately fuck myself haha.

But like you, I want to save and just pay it off at once and have a house.

I also wonder if you can sell it? Or what happens if they foreclose it?
They don't "foreclose" it, they just refuse entry to the house until you pay them a 500 credit installment, it never gets taken away from you

They don't "foreclose" it, they just refuse entry to the house until you pay them a 500 credit installment, it never gets taken away from you
Ohh, ehh that's kind of a bummer. You can manually foreclose it yourself right? It literally says that in the missions description.

It says pay 500 weekly or let the bank foreclose your house. Ether way you have to visit them.

Finally got a chance to start it.

Boy it's aggressively fine. Maybe I'm just anesthetized to the same goddamn game Bethesda has been making for 20 years now.

The core gameplay loop hasn't changed that much from decisions made since Oblivion. Todd Howard is quoted as saying they've been making the same game for years, so it's not exactly a radical take.

The RPG elements in story building and decision making are nowhere near as deep as FONV or BG3, the exploration isn't as broad as No Man's Sky or Elite Dangerous, the first and 3rd person combat is ruidimentary compared to a litany of combat specific shooters that already exist.

It's just a shame that, once again, I'm more excited for a few years from now to see what the mod community does to expand the mechanics that are already there than I am to pick up and play what's already available. I'm already frustrated with trying to turn in a quest and watching the person slowly float into the air, clip out of the building, and then realize that there's no way I can complete the quest.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Ohh, ehh that's kind of a bummer. You can manually foreclose it yourself right? It literally says that in the missions description.

It says pay 500 weekly or let the bank foreclose your house. Ether way you have to visit them.
You can abandon the mission, which cuts off access to the house, and you lose everything currently inside it

Last edited:

JayK47

I really like the weapon variety and ability to modify them. They really invested in the weapons. Now I just need more materials and skill to mod them.

• Love
Reactions: Isa
I personally asked for a refund, 40 fps outdoors and 70 fps indoors with a framerate that goes up and down is unacceptable for me... The game is beautiful, but clearly not enough to justify such performance on an RTX 3080 and a 10700k @ 5.1Ghz...

Hesitant to grab a series s for this. Is there any big compromise in comparison to Series X or am I good to go ?
i've put about 15 hours in on the S have no complaints so far. I dont think the graphics ever look brilliant or terrible but alright and performance is fine.

Topher

Gold Member
Did anyone take the Adoring Fan perk? Love that its the same model of character from ES and even the same voice actor lol

kGWxOJz.png

These things are exactly what Tom Cruise uses to get high in War of the Worlds

rzQHrQq.png

More random shots:

0dGK2Zd.png
CqkTNzA.png
iUWri8M.png
s4PpPhZ.png
mx8VNIw.png

I felt like if I didn't bring in the Adoring Fan then I wasn't getting the full Bethesda experience. lol.....his dialogue is actually pretty amusing.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I felt like if I didn't bring in the Adoring Fan then I wasn't getting the full Bethesda experience. lol.....his dialogue is actually pretty amusing.

As soon as I read that he could bring you occasional gifts I was like "Well, hop aboard fam!"

So far he hasnt given me shit :messenger_crying:

However he is a useful extra "storage container." I dump extra minerals and junk on him when the cargo hold and captains locker are filled lol

Diseased Yak Diseased Yak Im wondering if I let him tag along that raises the chances he'll give me presents?

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

I’ve finally figured out how to fully survey a planet, but only after I looked it up on the internet.

Is there an actual tutorial mission that I missed?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
As soon as I read that he could bring you occasional gifts I was like "Well, hop aboard fam!"

So far he hasnt given me shit :messenger_crying:

However he is a useful extra "storage container." I dump extra minerals and junk on him when the cargo hold and captains locker are filled lol

Diseased Yak Diseased Yak Im wondering if I let him tag along that raises the chances he'll give me presents?

Hmm, could be I suppose! I don't recall him giving me much of anything yet, maybe once but I forget what it was.

Catphish

DLSS mod makes such a massive difference. I'm not sure how many frames I picked up from it, but it's gotta be between 20-30.

How/Why they chose to ship this game without it is absolutely mind-boggling.

If it weren't for those bloody loading screens, this game would be utterly amazing in almost every respect and its even got SEGA Saturn in it. Love it

vsR9FWY.jpg

To be this good takes Microsoft's cheque book

clarky

Gold Member
DLSS mod makes such a massive difference. I'm not sure how many frames I picked up from it, but it's gotta be between 20-30.

How/Why they chose to ship this game without it is absolutely mind-boggling.
Really ?without frame gen? Because frame rate wise it did pretty much nothing for me

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I might do that on new game plus lol. Seems more fitting after I do the big whatever at the end that I would have fans.

cormack12

Gold Member
For fuck sake, got in series X now doing a 101gb update. You'd think they would have figured this shit out

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
This game, man. This game! Few hours ago I spotted a ship landing so of course I went to investigate. Boarded the ship, crew seemed friendly, spoke to the captain and he's like 'you're late'. I had an option to lie so I lied and he gave me a package full of goodies. Credits, weapons etc. Now I'm flying, minding my own business and the actual currier that was supposed to pick up that package wanted either 10k or my life. Needles to say, he's no longer with us.

And now I'm exploring a derelict, alien infested ship with cool back story. Yeah.

Top Bottom