• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Isa

Amazing OT! The game's an absolute blast and worth the wait for all the effort the team put in. Seriously man, I'm at like 24ish hrs now and its been incredible so far. I still feel like such a babe out there in the black uncharted. Barely scratched the surface as many have said and mostly just done my own thing, side quests and odd jobs, plus random events that pop up. Each one has been very memorable and exciting. Died a few times too learning the ropes. My friends and I have been jabbering on during breaks about the game. Each one of our games has been quite different, even if we would tell each other basic stuff about where we might have found or encountered something. Interesting variety to be sure.

The quality of the quests and encountering follow ups and such is very well implemented. They've definitely honed their craft over the years. Congrats to the team, this may well be my GoTY.

I'm totally worried that when everyone and their mother tries to log on at the same time tonight... you guessed it, the servers will go down.
Kristen Wiig No GIF by The Lonely Island

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
I'm totally worried that when everyone and their mother tries to log on at the same time tonight... you guessed it, the servers will go down.
Wait... servers? Log in? Isn't this a single-player game?

Please don't tell me you must login with a Bethesda account just to play (like Doom Eternal).

Wait... servers? Log in? Isn't this a single-player game?

Please don't tell me you must login with a Bethesda account just to play (like Doom Eternal).
Oh, don't get me to worrying about THAT too! I was just talking about logging in to the Xbox and Game Pass. If the servers go down, you can't access GP games.

Desless1

How are you all making money? Feel I am lagging behind on it. I hoard too much I guess. Looooot.

Stealing ships and sell them, is it viable?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
There’s nothing epic about this rant. It’s embarrassing.

That video could give all of California a permanent case of second-hand embarrassment. It's such a bizarre rant and is really indicative of where cultural criticism is for gaming. And it's not even a terrible "sci-fi" way of doing inclusivity AND that characters arc is incredibly fun. But, because it even hints at something connected to the modern era (as if hard, soft or otherwise sci-fi doesn't do that) that they're against, it's time to spaz out. To get that apoplectic is. . .just something else. And he doesn't look young either.

How are you all making money? Feel I am lagging behind on it. I hoard too much I guess. Looooot.

Not at all for the effort. If you enjoy the ship combat in this game (like most things in SF it feels incredibly half-baked), then go hog wild, however what you loot off the radiant dungeons (which - so far - have just been abandoned facilities with a bunch of pirates in them, rinse and repeat) is going to give you far faster a return on your investment: easier to straight up kill someone than to do a song and dance of disabling a ships engines and not killing them so you can maybe make two-grand, because the game makes you "register" a ship before you can sell it, so you'll only ever get the difference between the register and sell price. If you got the sale price and then was able to bump up the sell percentage (starts at 10 percent) then absolutely it would be worth it.

. . .much easier to just sell weapons (especially if you get gear that reduces weapon weight).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I thought money would be a problem, but where I'm at, I have around 300k credits and nothing to use them on except bolting add-on compartments to my ship and turn it into a frankenstin vessel.

Some side quests lead you to some really good ships, loot every enemy you kill, hell loot anything in the world that has the value of a few hundred credits, stockpile the shit out of things in your ship and sell it all.

The Trade Authority store in The Well in Atlantis will buy stolen goods as well.

Desless1

I thought money would be a problem, but where I'm at, I have around 300k credits and nothing to use them on except bolting add-on compartments to my ship and turn it into a frankenstin vessel.

Some side quests lead you to some really good ships, loot every enemy you kill, hell loot anything in the world that has the value of a few hundred credits, stockpile the shit out of things in your ship and sell it all.

The Trade Authority store in The Well in Atlantis will buy stolen goods as well.
I loot it all. Problem is that the kiosk seldom has more than 5000 credits. And I won't sell stuff for free.

Had to jump to different landing zones on one planet to get new kiosk and credit for selling again.

With 300k I would buy a new ship or two. Guess it's time to do side quests and not only main.

adamsapple

I loot it all. Problem is that the kiosk seldom has more than 5000 credits. And I won't sell stuff for free.

Had to jump to different landing zones on one planet to get new kiosk and credit for selling again.

With 300k I would buy a new ship or two. Guess it's time to do side quests and not only main.

Ah, that is an easy fix.

All kiosks and shops refill all credits in 48 hours (sleep twice).

Also, you just need to make 1 trip in New Atlantis to offload anything you might need.

1. Kiosk at the landing pad.
2. One store near the elevator which goes down to The Well. This is the store where you get the artist's side mission from.
3. Down the elevator, there's a weapon store right in front of you.
4. The Trade Authority store a few seconds away from the above, it has 10,000 credit every refill
5. Near the Trade Authority door is another store that you can sell stuff to too.

-

I have max Weight Lifting and every time I'm full, I just make a quick trip to New Atlantis and have offloaded everything in 2 minutes. If need be, add another minute to sleep twice for 48 hrs so all kiosks are refilled with cash.

Last edited:

Desless1

Ah, that is an easy fix.

All kiosks and shops refill all credits in 48 hours (sleep twice).

Also, you just need to make 1 trip in New Atlantis to offload anything you might need.

1. Kiosk at the landing pad.
2. One store near the elevator which goes down to The Well. This is the store where you get the artist's side mission from.
3. Down the elevator, there's a weapon store right in front of you.
4. The Trade Authority store a few seconds away from the above, it has 10,000 credit every refill
5. Near the Trade Authority door is another store that you can sell stuff to too.

-

I have max Weight Lifting and every time I'm full, I just make a quick trip to New Atlantis and have offloaded everything in 2 minutes.
ahh got it! Thanks. Super helpful.

Dynasty8

1 hour left...for the early players, is the hardest difficulty a decent challenge or just adds more artificial?

Also, what mods have made a difference for you guys on PC?

amigastar

1 hour left...for the early players, is the hardest difficulty a decent challenge or just adds more artificial?

Considering it's a Bethesda game you probably can switch difficulties on the fly.
I'm gonna play on Normal.

Reactions: Isa

ReBurn

Gold Member
4 hours until it officially launches. Can't wait for the fireworks. The Steam forums have been nothing but woke, woke, woke, woke, refund since Thursday.
People are being absolute idiots over the pronoun thing. I've created two characters, one female and then one male, and each time the game chose the corresponding gendered pronouns automatically for me. I would have had to go out of my way to select they/them. I didn't even realize that selecting pronouns was an option until I saw twittards trying to cope, losing their absolute minds over it. People should stop being so insecure over it and let people create what they want to create.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

It is the usual Bethesda approach to difficulty: enemies have more health and do more damage. Very Hard is a slog and not at all fun (particularly with ship combat); Hard has been a fine enough challenge where you have to use items and systems within the game for success, but a fight doesn't go through all your resources.

adamsapple

Once the game pass authentication is complete, there's nothing in the game that needs a server connection.

So y'all good as soon as the game boots up for the first time !

Have fun! I just finished my session for today. 70+ hours of playtime in early access. This game is my new obsession.

Hot damn I feel like my 30~ something is amateur hour lol

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

The systems are marked with the level required/recommended on the navigation map. I play normal and especially early on the space battles were an issue because I wasn't paying attention to the level and you get jumped by multiple ships at once. The gun combat is probably better on hard or hardest. Right now I'm mostly just blowing dudes away with the pacifier shotgun. You can switch on the fly to find your perfect difficulty.

-DLSS3+FG if you have Ada
-That UI mod looks good, but I haven't tried it
-ReBar+Nvidia Inspector to force ReBar on Starfield gave me a 14% boost in frame rate

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
For new players, especially those that might feel overwhelmed, here's a few tips without going into too much depth:
1. Skills
-Make sure to understand how the Skills work and hover over them to get an idea of where you might head with the points you earn. When you level up you get a Skill point. You unlock a skill, then there's challenges for each level that you have to complete before being able to unlock the next level with a Skill point.

2. Scanner
-Understanding how the scanner works is very important. You activate it with 'LB' on controller. It's used to Fast Travel, Grav Jump, Search for Loot, Scan Resources and Lifeforms for Planet Surveys, Enter Slow-mo Targeting Mode in space combat to target specific parts of enemy ships by pressing 'X' in scanner mode(this might require a skill point. I had it unlocked by default).

3. Random
-When using Digipicks, you can line up the picks before committing them to the slots in the mini-game. On controller it's LB-RB to rotate them
-Don't accidentally sell your Digipicks(lockpicks) when dumping loot at kiosks or vendors
-Sometimes direct fast travel via star map is good, but sometimes you should fast travel to your ship and take off, or do the grav jumps manually to have encounters with Bounty Hunters, etc.
-If you want space combat, jumping systems is your best bet. Once you do, on your star map the combat zones are labeled with 'Hostile Activity'
-To disable and board an enemy ship you go into target mode and focus on their engines. Once disabled, you fly near them and press 'X' to board
-Companions can carry loot. Talk to them occasionally and they'll give you free shit
-When a new side quest/mini quest pops, you can hold 'Start' to make it your active quest. Sometimes you have to go in the menu under missions to make sure you have the quest you want active
-Don't rush the main quest and do NG+, or some stupid shit like was being recommended on the internet. Doing factions quests, or going off on sidequests is fucking awesome

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Will this game be available in the cloud? I’ve got an Xbox One X (don’t laugh at me lol)

It’s not showing up though. Just says incompatible right now

Top Bottom