• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

ungalo

25 would be a good number if it was general templates like we have in other Bethesda games, but those are more or less exact copy paste i think, which is the real problem.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
25 would be a good number if it was general templates like we have in other Bethesda games, but those are more or less exact copy paste i think, which is the real problem.

We should have 25 different styles and these should use procedural generation. I don’t mind exploring 10 cryo labs that use the same assets/style but have different layouts, loot and enemies placement.

Right now it’s not the case and every single cryo lab is exactly the same…

Last edited:
This feels like one of those games that would have come with a big fat 200+ page manual back in the day, because I'm constantly going to youtube and searching for "how do I do this" videos. So much of this game is unexplained, I can definitely understand a game reviewer, who was playing this without the ability to do that, missed a huge portion of this game because they had no idea what can be done, and gave it a less than stellar score, and why people say they start to warm up to the game after 10+ hours, because they start to figure out all the things that are possible.

Last edited:

Fess

We should have 25 different styles and these should use procedural generation. I don’t mind exploring 10 cry labs that use the same assets/style but have different layouts, loot and enemies placement.

Right now it’s not the case and every single cry lab is exactly the same…
Needs procedural generation for all the smaller locations, outposts, settlements, villages, towns etc.

I live near the north pole and there are multiple cities close by even in this sorry place on earth. In the Starfield universe this whole country would just be snowy plains and I would have to travel to Las Vegas or whatever just to buy a pair of pants in that one clothes store on the whole planet. It’s extremely unrealistic. The game is huge in some ways but also tiny in other ways. Hoping there will be a 2.0 moment in a year or two.

Still love the game like few other games I’ve played during my time.

Last edited:
No amount of reloading, rearranging the ship parts, fast travel, etc would fix it.
I had a couple like that as well, but these kinds of bugs generally get fixed for me by completely quitting to the main menu, instead of just reloading the save, this flushes some of the logic the engine keeps in memory while the game is running.

twilo99

Gold Member
20 hours in and done hardly any missions lol
Got 1 planet to 100% and done into the unknown.... Massive game.

XHLX9Ry.jpg

Did you try the radio tower trick?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Needs procedural generation for all the smaller locations, outposts, settlements, villages, towns etc.

I live near the north pole and there are multiple cities close by even in this sorry place on earth. In the Starfield universe this whole country would just be snowy plains and I would have to travel to Las Vegas or whatever just to buy a pair of pants in that one clothes store on the whole planet. It’s extremely unrealistic. The game is huge in some ways but also tiny in other ways. Hoping there will be a 2.0 moment in a year or two.

Still love the game like few other games I’ve played during my time.

There’s no excuse. This was done back in 1996:

Daggerfall is full of cities big and small…

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Ryujin faction is great as something different in theory, something more espionage based.

But so far, the first couple of missions have been incredibly easy with me just crouching, hiding and making sure the "hidden" prompt is up before I hack into computers. I hope it gets more into dialogue based stuff later on.

Without spoiling, do you think the notion of rushing to complete the main quest before undertaking all the side stuff/factions is the way to go? Some reviewers were encouraging this and advising not to treat your first play through as your definition completionist play through. Knowing what you know now do you think that completing the main quest first is the way to go? Or do you think it wouldn’t make a massive difference?
100%. It's garbage either way but it's better to get it done and just never even start the Constellation stuff in NG+.

90+ hours later and I'm thinking about starting over. Lol

I cheated so hard none of my stuff feels earned. I miss being poor and having a flying garbage dumpster.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m thinking about cutting off my mooching parents. After the ship, they haven’t done Jack shit. Unless maybe their gifts/storyline is tied to the main quest. I’ll give them a little longer.

When I’m doing that trick for XP, every time I rest, I see that alert pop up that I’m giving them 500 credits.

TheUsual

Gold Member
I was curious why some steam achievements weren't popping. Was thinking bugged stuff or something but see that since I'm using only one mod, StarUI, I think the game disabled my achievements.
Oh well!
Unless i did something else that I'm not aware of.

Topher

Gold Member
I was curious why some steam achievements weren't popping. Was thinking bugged stuff or something but see that since I'm using only one mod, StarUI, I think the game disabled my achievements.
Oh well!

Hmmm, I have StarUI as well. I'll check my achievements.

Edit: TheUsual TheUsual My achievements seem fine so I don't think it is StarUI.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Oh well!
I think it mentions on the StarUI page you need to also use some achievements enabler mod in order to prevent that

tmlDan

I started doing the Ryujin Job quests and they're prob the most fun ive had

It's just something i haven't experienced in a game despite the missions being a bit shallow.

Antwix

I’m thinking about cutting off my mooching parents. After the ship, they haven’t done Jack shit. Unless maybe their gifts/storyline is tied to the main quest. I’ll give them a little longer.

When I’m doing that trick for XP, every time I rest, I see that alert pop up that I’m giving them 500 credits.
Haha yeah. I took the kid trait too. The weapon you get and the ship you get are pretty underwhelming. I know 500 credits is nothing especially when you're a couple dozen hours in but I kinda regret taking that trait. From what I've seen, after you get the ship the storyline is done.

clarky

Gold Member

Its all take take take with you. You only come to see us when you want something.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Hmmm, I have StarUI as well. I'll check my achievements.

Edit: TheUsual TheUsual My achievements seem fine so I don't think it is StarUI.
I did mess with the console to try to unlock a door early in my playthrough.
The "unlock" console command wasn't working for me either.

Guess it could be that because the game did warn me, but I don't recall saving and going forward. I must've!

Topher

Gold Member
I did mess with the console to try to unlock a door early in my playthrough.
The "unlock" console command wasn't working for me either.

Guess it could be that because the game did warn me, but I don't recall saving and going forward. I must've!

Gotcha. You know about the achievement enabler mod, right?

Roufianos

Took a few days off for the Pokemon SV DLC and been working on the Crimson Fleet quests, these are great so far, real horror vibes and then some more sneaking, whats weird is for a game that has quite a lot of Stealth is that I've only found a couple of Chamaeleon packs and no aid, I'm on level 2 Stealth as well and it feels like I get seen far too quick, I do have Manipulate though, thats been helpful

Also pro tip, when sneaking, take off the Spacesuit!
Oh damn, I didn't even know it was out. Thanks dude.

There’s no excuse. This was done back in 1996:

Daggerfall is full of cities big and small…

The towns aren't randomly generated - at least not in the sense that as you boot up the game and towns are generated for you, or upon visit. Rather these were all generated offline at Bethesda and some were surely altered/tinkered with by hand. So all the towns that exist always exist and are shipped that way. But I get what you're saying.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The towns aren't randomly generated - at least not in the sense that as you boot up the game and towns are generated for you, or upon visit. Rather these were all generated offline at Bethesda and some were surely altered/tinkered with by hand. So all the towns that exist always exist and are shipped that way. But I get what you're saying.

They were procedurally generated 'offline', by algorithm and let's be honest, barely touched by hand, maybe some of the main ones. Nobody said these are 'RANDOM', there's math behind it. There are 15k cities and almost 5k dungeons in that game.

naguanatak

Wanted to test Geforce Now via Edge Browser on Series X. Couple problems.

Browser has black bars on the sides, up top and on the bottom. Even in 'fullscreen'. What gives?

Starting Starfield on the Geforce Now site, the browser 'skips' and the right side and bottom aren't even fully visible anymore.

But worst: when starting Starfield, there is a pop up window where I have to log in into my microsoft account. But how do I do that on controller? The virtual keyboard doesn't come up :pie_thinking:

Fess

Oh well!
I had a no achievements unlocked bug in Steam. Went back to re-unlock them through old saves. Still have some odd ones locked like the one for joining Crimson Fleet even though I finished that whole questline ages ago. I’m thinking I’ll unlock the rest in NG+.

DosGamer

I am about 36 hours into the game and just finished the death of a team member quest with the Lodge and the Eye. So, according to most, I am over half way done with the main story. What is odd is that I have varied my playthrough and I have done all kinds of quests, not just the main quest line with Constellation. Is the main quest really that short in comparison? I know the game is full of other things to do, but it seems short overall.

Antwix

I am about 36 hours into the game and just finished the death of a team member quest with the Lodge and the Eye. So, according to most, I am over half way done with the main story. What is odd is that I have varied my playthrough and I have done all kinds of quests, not just the main quest line with Constellation. Is the main quest really that short in comparison? I know the game is full of other things to do, but it seems short overall.
capturezzdbs.jpg

The main story is only like 20ish hours. Like you mentioned, the real meat of this game is doing all the faction questlines, getting into starship design, crafting, outposts, side quests and activities, and/or exploring planets. Not to mention any mods that come out over time.

I think I'm around 60 hours or so and I'm like 2/3 thru the main story, 3 factions done, and a bunch side quests. However, I haven't done anything with ship design, next to no planet exploration, and just scratched the surface of outposts.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I did buy a lot of new weapons for my ship. But I can't figure out how to equip them. This building menu is just awful.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It is. Like the rest of the UI. Go to fly test (or whatever it's called) and from there you have to assign weapons to 3 available weapon slots.
UI in this game is terrible but this has to be the worst one. You have to check for errors/warnings, then above the message box where it shows errors/warnings there’s a tab that takes you to the weapon assignment page.

WTF…. Took me a while to figure out that one.

Macaron

Banned
The sidequests are a huuugeeee part of the game and something all developers should take note of. Gonna go ahead and take shots at FF16 and say coming of those absolute garbage side quests to this game felt awesome.

With that said, the main story is kinda comically short.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Its all take take take with you. You only come to see us when you want something.
Ohhhhh, look at you! Big time college professor retires, only to live off your only child. Talk about pathetic. It amazing that mom stays with you. Maybe she feels stuck. She sure as hell doesn’t respect you, knowing her man can’t put food on the table, and has to live off her sons scraps. You’re just a fucking pawn. A pawn in my game.

And grandpas meatloaf sucks dick. I’d rather eat alien jerky. Grandma on moms side was more of a man than you Dad. Even dead, she’s more man than you, because at least she got it right and died before she lived long enough to become a burden on her children.

tmlDan

okay the stealth is pissing me off, im crouching and walking slow af and guards still see me even tho im 30 ft up in the air and they're facing another direction? jfc lol

do I HAVE to upgrade stealth to do anything stealthy?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
okay the stealth is pissing me off, im crouching and walking slow af and guards still see me even tho im 30 ft up in the air and they're facing another direction? jfc lol

Hahaha, yeah you do. 🤣 I was full stealth and those missions were awesome.

Yeah, personally not a big fan of stealth in this game though I love it in Elder Scrolls titles. It just doesn't feel like I should be or like it's really designed for it as much (not so much "prohibited areas" [are there even any?] and things like that). Most of the items in the game aren't even tagged as being stolen, they are just laying around. Though there are some "personal" items that are flagged that way, plenty of stuff that should be isn't.

adamsapple

Pretty much, I'm at Stealth rank 2 and still get spotted if I make the slightest of movements in their vicinity.

Also, if you are in the Ryujin missions and infiltrating anything, best to leave your party members outside, cause as soon as anything happens, they will start killing people IMMEDIATELY. Even if you think you can outrun guards to at least avoid casualties, your companions don't give a shit lol

Just completed the first (maybe only, I don't know) Neon quest in the primary campaign. The primary campaign has been fun so far. I'll probably do another quest or two for that and then try and earn some credits with one of these jobs that people are always trying to give me. I guess the entire star system is very hard up for workers. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Just completed the first (maybe only, I don't know) Neon quest in the primary campaign. The primary campaign has been fun so far. I'll probably due another quest or two for that and then try and earn some credits with one of these jobs that people are always trying to give me. I guess the entire star system is very hard up for workers. :messenger_grinning:

Was it the Walter Stroud mission?

What did you think of the post-mission revelations after you try to leave Neon.

Top Bottom