• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
In my experience you reach the end of what the game has to offer in terms of quests pretty quickly for a Bethesda game. Like after level 40 there wasn't much to do, especially in the more distant systems that were all empty in space and without true new locations (except one that was very Fallout 4 and pretty cool).

But what's also frustrating is that when i did NG+ (just to see what it was, i didn't got far) i quickly noticed that there were new events and things i never encountered in space in the first playthrough. Not big things i think but still it means they didn't put all the content in one run. People could think it's cool but that felt pretty dumb when so many systems didn't have anything in them in the first place. And i have to restart without all my shit to see those things ?

Besides that, that was good. I'd say it was very addictive. I was addicted to ToTK too but for 50-60 hours then i just couldn't even play anymore, i didn't even finish it. Here i don't think i will play it as much as the previous Bethesda games (except F4 maybe) but still i played a lot in a very short time and that says something.

Although, when i ran out of meaningful content, i had some time to contemplate the flaws of this variation of the Bethesda formula.
I guess they were ready to accept huge drawbacks just to create an entire universe, this is what they wanted to do and what they were passionate about. I think it's what i will keep from the game, the worldbuilding and the themes Bethesda are so obsessed with.
I think for me at this point when compared to my first play through of Fallout 4 where I felt I was nearing the end of the extra non-radiant quests in terms of content by this 4 day played point, where I knew where the next point would take me, and it felt like you should rush the main quest. This one’s a different beast.

With the Starfield main quest I think is the best they’ve ever done it; it’s truely is as fast or as slow as you want it no pressure from the story side of things other than the early set-up.

Last edited:
So I left a planet and then this ship jumped in and started attacking me; this confused me because I remembered the ship name from a certain Ryujin quest.
I disable the ships engines, and board it just to confirm, but there were only "security" guys on board.
One starts to attack Sarah and she kills her, so I'm like cool and kill the last two and this happens:

She got pissed off with me?! Lol why? I just defended myself..
So I decide to reload and have HER kill everyone:

And the bitch still gets angry with me lmao, so then I talk to her genuinely being confused what's she's angry about:

So I just gaslit her the artifact screwed my brain but WTF lol, I just reloaded and left the ship without engines...so weird, wanted to space her right after that; 70 hours of solo bliss and then 1 mission in with a companion and I just want to shoot her in the head.

Antwix

starfield-2023_09_14-fpfdj.png

starfield-2023_09_14-bueoz.png

starfield-2023_09_14-wqcoj.png

ungalo

I think for me at this point when compared to my first play through of Fallout 4 where I felt I was nearing the end of the extra non-radiant quests in terms of content by this 4 day played point, where I knew where the next point would take me, and it felt like you should rush the main quest. This one’s a different beast.

With the Starfield main quest I think is the best they’ve ever done it; it’s truely is as fast or as slow as you want it no pressure from the story side of things other than the early set-up.
I hate Fallout 4 quests, factions and dialogs anyway so i'm not going to say otherwise. Starfield is miles ahead in that aspect.

But Fallout 4 had a deeper sense of exploration (that came with the inherent structure of the game that's very different from Starfield), all locations were filled with background (there lies the interesting writing). In Starfield outside of the quests i'd say what's in space can sometimes be interesting even if not tied to a quest, but on the planets the locations are just not, it's not even comparable to a location in any other Bethesda game i think, too much procedural involved, very little lore. So in F4, even if i was bored at some point, it was just because of the game, but i didn't feel like i had seen it all like in Starfield where litterally i went from system to system, waiting for something to happen.

Last edited:
Oh shit, doing the main quest "High Price to Pay"

I just left my wife or near wife Andreja up on the Eye and now they are attacking there and the Lodge and I have to choose.. if I don't go to the Eye, does she kick the bucket?? I don't want to leave the lodge undefended but that's what I'm leaning towards.

Finally finished the main story after 51 hours of playtime. Now I'm looking for the best xp farm to get the level 100 achievement, will probably revert to a previous save after.

i'm not sure but

i think it's usually the character with the highest affinity in the place where you don't go that dies, so yes i think you should go where she is if you don't want her to die
Wow, yep, you're absolutely right.

I went to leave the lodge but saw it update to check on Walter so I just went to look and decided to proceed through with it and damn sure enough she was dead up there when I got there. Reloaded and lost my second highest affinity character, Barret. I'm not happy about losing either of them.. but gotta look out for my wife ish lady which was my first instinct. Damn!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wow, yep, you're absolutely right.

I went to leave the lodge but saw it update to check on Walter so I just went to look and decided to proceed through with it and damn sure enough she was dead up there when I got there. Reloaded and lost my second highest affinity character, Barret. I'm not happy about losing either of them.. but gotta look out for my wife ish lady which was my first instinct. Damn!

Same situation for me.

maah wiiifeee Andreja was in The Eye, and Sam was down in the Lodge, I couldn't leave mah wife behind, sorry Sam. Your daughter will probably be fine growing up .. right ?

Antwix

Man, I'm done using photo mode for awhile lol. I was messing around with it on a planet and got a pic of myself like 500m in the air cuz I tried to board a ship as it took off and yeeted me out. Also got another pic of a starborn ship landing . Now I keep getting this bug where when I exit photo mode, my controls just become unresponsive. I can move my crosshairs vertically but that's it. Can't move. Can't shoot. Nothing. If I switch to 3rd person, I can move and shoot fine, but when I aim it'll lock up again. Sad times. Hopefully a reboot will help.

Last edited:

bbeach123

FFS, honestly this game has more loading than the original Resident Evil. Constellation base can't even load the same time as the rest of the city? Really?

I've just played 30 mins and 15 of them have been in the menus or loading.
This game have some weird freaking world design . For exam in skyrim if you stand on whiterun's reach you cant jump off and get out of the city because its just background .

In this game you can stand on top of the building in new atlantis/neon and jump off and go to your ships , seamless .

If you walk on foot though , expected to have atleast 2 load screen to get there.

Last edited:
If very-hard isn't enough difficulty and anyone wants a theoretical ultra-hard experience:

Traits to choose:
1) Alien DNA (Less Healing)
2) Spaced (Debuff on all Planets)
3) Introvert or Extrovert depending on if you use companions or not (on this playthrough you'd do the opposite of the trait to get the debuff)

3 alt A) You can substitute for number 3 is Dream Home or more permanently, Kid Stuff, if you want money constantly funneled out of your account.
3 alt B) You can substitute number 3 for Wanted to get heightened aggro while in your ship.

Alien DNA will almost make the game feel like Skyrim's survival mode because you will be looking for any type of healing and food items you can, because enemies will do more damage and you do less healing. Thus, food has more of a use/need aside from the occasional XP and oxygen boosts.

Also as a bonus: Keep the (un)lucky boots for the entire playthrough.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I must have “tracked” a weapons mod upgrade at some point, and gotten rid of the weapon before I stopped tracking it. Now I’m stuck tracking a handful of items.

And sadly my Xbox anniversary controllers right stick is drifting up. Fuck all these game companies and their cheap sticks.

Last edited:

adamsapple

OK, this is pretty genius

I'm probably gonna save this for when I'm all the way done with stuff, so I can use it to farm out to get that level 100 achievement.

Currently I'm at level 56. Have yet to do the Ryujin or Crimson Fleet factions, but have progressed a good chunk of story missions in the last few sessions.

Darchaos

Friday and last workday of the week. Cant wait to get home and not leave my home untill monday again, just be playing starfield, soon 100 hours played. The only movement i will do is to fill up the bowl with chillinutz and the cup with coffe. The weather in Sweden where i live is sopposed to be cold and rainy, perfection.

Last edited:

Roberts

Any tips on how to find more landmarks on Earth? Only found London so far (and apollo mission on moon) Do you find other location info from books, too?

Same situation for me.

maah wiiifeee Andreja was in The Eye, and Sam was down in the Lodge, I couldn't leave mah wife behind, sorry Sam. Your daughter will probably be fine growing up .. right ?
Yeah, I do like this turn of events though.

WBXkUy0.jpg

Tough choice, but he didn't make it.

I had one of those extended warranty types solicit me while out and about - I tried to attack them but they grav jumped away. I really don't like how you can be targeted on a ship, have all of their systems disabled and they can still grav jump away. Is there any way to stop that? There was no power allocated to it in targeting mode, but then boom, gone.

So I reloaded, attacked right away and tried to board the ship. After the docking cutscene, it wouldn't let me "exit ship", so I got up manually and tried, but no dice. Now when I get back in my seat my docking tunnel is permanently extended and I can't move my ship, lol. There's no option to undock and while I can travel to other planets, when I get there my docking bay is still extended and I'm immobile. :messenger_grinning_smiling: How did he get away while I was docking??

Evj15zD.jpg

8SKgYdB.jpg

Last edited:

ungalo

Any tips on how to find more landmarks on Earth? Only found London so far (and apollo mission on moon) Do you find other location info from books, too?

Found two more, one was in a book yes
the book was in Delgado's room in the Key
the other i don't remember

Last edited:

LastBattle

I just spent the past 10mins googling “
Textures aren’t loading” because I thought my game was bugged with how poor some of the npc characters look. Especially on Jemison. I went from this game looks great, what are the haters talking about to 😮. For some reason even Sarah’s face has started to look very flat compared to early game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I like this game. I really, really like this game. But I swear to DOG, Bethesda designers are fucking imbeciles. I picked up this side mission where I'm supposed to help with new starship design. I got super excited. I was thinking hell yeah, the ship building mechanic will be utilized in a mission, that's amazing!

But of course not. You pick a few dialogue options, run a generic delivery mission and that's it. Wouldn't it be cool to actually design a new starship for Stroud Eklund? And then see your design in game world. People flying it, etc? Nope. Fuck all that.

Also, fuck quest objectives where all you have to do is go talk to a character you met dozens of times before in a place you've been dozens of times before. Why there's no long distance communication? Why can't I just ping that old fart Walter to inform him about new "DESIGN" being finalized? Why I have to go all the way to the lodge just for the quest to finish? So damn stupid!

mansoor1980

I like this game. I really, really like this game. But I swear to DOG, Bethesda designers are fucking imbeciles. I picked up this side mission where I'm supposed to help with new starship design. I got super excited. I was thinking hell yeah, the ship building mechanic will be utilized in a mission, that's amazing!

But of course not. You pick a few dialogue options, run a generic delivery mission and that's it. Wouldn't it be cool to actually design a new starship for Stroud Eklund? And then see your design in game world. People flying it, etc? Nope. Fuck all that.

Also, fuck quest objectives where all you have to do is go talk to a character you met dozens of times before in a place you've been dozens of times before. Why there's no long distance communication? Why can't I just ping that old fart Walter to inform him about new "DESIGN" being finalized? Why I have to go all the way to the lodge just for the quest to finish? So damn stupid!
some of the game design choices are really ancient in this game

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Definitely sounds like a missed opportunity that would be easy to do too.

Almost 50 hours in and still havent gone to Akila City or Neon. Im actually really quite satisfied being a spy that after this Crimson Pirate faction is done, Im beelining the main story and finish ng before cyberpunk 2.0.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Definitely sounds like a missed opportunity that would be easy to do too.

They were like: let's have all these amazing systems in the game... but let's not used them, okay? So stupid...

Another example, actually from the same side mission. Mission board objective to deliver cargo / people from place to place. It's the laziest, most idiotic side mission design that I've seen, possibly ever. You pick it up from the board, teleport to end location and... that's it, mission complete, good job.

Who the fuck approved this? Why not have dynamic events on your way there? Like, I don't know, for example one of your passengers turns out to be a pirate and starts a fire fight on your ship? Or your ship malfunctions and you have do emergency landing on a planet resulting in cargo being dropped around and you have to go and pick it up. There might be pirate outpost there and they claimed some of it... you can go there, talk your way to get it back, sneak your way to get it back or fight your way to get it back. Or maybe you're attacked by enemy ships when in space. All these system are already in the game, why not use it? Are they really that unimaginative?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
They were like: let's have all these amazing systems in the game... but let's not used them, okay? So stupid...

Another example, actually from the same side mission. Mission board objective to deliver cargo / people from place to place. It's the laziest, most idiotic side mission design that I've seen, possibly ever. You pick it up from the board, teleport to end location and... that's it, mission complete, good job.

Who the fuck approved this? Why not have dynamic events on your way there? Like, I don't know, for example one of your passengers turns out to be a pirate and starts a fire fight on your ship? Or your ship malfunctions and you have do emergency landing on a planet resulting in cargo being dropped around and you have to go and pick it up. There might be pirate outpost there and they claimed some of it... you can go there, talk your way to get it back, sneak your way to get it back or fight your way to get it back. Or maybe you're attacked by enemy ships when in space. All these system are already in the game, why not use it? Are they really that unimaginative?
I see lots of evidence that they tried to push themselves a bit on quest design and make a few that were noteworthy. But there's still plenty of the old fetch quest design in place. I've always felt BGS builds their games as systems or simulations, and not necessarily as fantastic charismatic stories. Traditionally I've never really been into any of their main or side quests, except a few standouts. I just kind of made my own fun in Morrowind and fucked around with the world and read the lore books. Mostly it's been a big step up honestly from previous stuff they've done, but you still see some of the simple radiant AI style quests that I bet could just be generated indefinitely.

ungalo

You can actually get this ship and also see people flying it in space as a random event.

It was my main ship for the end game, i had put everything in it, this ship was a monstrosity. I don't know how much you can influence the design by what you're telling the team in charge of designing it. But i thought it was a pretty cool quest, it was more meant to be building a ship as the project manager rather than do everything from A to Z, like what's the ship you'd like. Even though having to build a ship for a quest would have been great i agree.

In my case i told them to have a big budget, then i did 2 different missions to gather data, then i told the girl to have each designer abandon one of their idea to come to a compromise. And the result was coherent with what i said, the ship had everything but was pretty ugly.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You can actually get this ship and also see people flying it in space as a random event.

It was my main ship for the end game, i had put everything in it, this ship was a monstrosity. I don't know how much you can influence the design by what you're telling the team in charge of designing it. But i thought it was a pretty cool quest.

In my case i told them to have a big budget, then i did 2 different missions to gather data, then i told the girl to have each designer abandon one of their idea to come to a compromise. And the result was coherent with what i said, the ship had everything but was pretty ugly.

They have a ship builder in the game. Instead of allowing player to use it to design that ship, they decided that choosing a few dialogue options was a better course of action. They are idiots and there's no denying it.

I could understand: pick a few dialogue options and do all that jazz and that would set your starting design but then you should be able to go to ship builder menu and customize it to your liking.

Seriously, what a waste.

Roberts

A certain extended quest and its rewards made me laugh:

So I was trying to help out a ship that left Earth before the invention of grav drives. They needed a new home, reached it after a 200 year long journey, but the planet was already taken. The whole story is both hilarious and kind of sad, considering these poor, eccentric souls have been stuck in a tin can since birth, so I decided to help them. After doing the quest for what seemed like an hour or two, I settled all the misunderstandings and found them a new home. And then came the time for the reward and it was just a bunch of silly Earth memorabilia, like baseball bats and what not.

So I was trying to help out a ship that left Earth before the invention of grav drives. They needed a new home, reached it after a 200 year long journey, but the planet was already taken. The whole story is both hilarious and kind of sad, considering these poor, eccentric souls have been stuck in a tin can since birth, so I decided to help them. After doing the quest for what seemed like an hour or two, I settled all the misunderstandings and found them a new home. And then came the time for the reward and it was just a bunch of silly Earth memorabilia, like baseball bats and what not.
I was kind of unhappy you couldn't clear out Paradiso for them. The captain seemed so intent on that planet so I was hoping that would be one of the options, but sadly no :(

Topher

Gold Member

lol...yeah, that was a mission alright. Notice how everyone on the ship talked shit to you as you walked by? I kind of wish the mission had the option to say they are reading the map wrong and send them on a 200 year journey back to Earth.

Roberts

lol...yeah, that was a mission alright. Notice how everyone on the ship talked shit to you as you walked by? I kind of wish the mission had the option to say they are reading the map wrong and send them on a 200 year journey back to Earth.
Hah, yes, considering how cruel and mean-spirited some of your dialogue options are in the game, this feels like a missed opportunity. And, yes, they kept talking shit about me and it actually felt like very realistic writing. These are descendants of super rich people so their behaviour seemed spot on. The over stimulated, eccentric engineer was funny too.

Also, couldn't help but think about inbreeding.

adamsapple

I had a very nice pleasant encounter with a "Grandma" in space, who invited me to her ship, offered food and told me about her grand-kids.

I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that might have been homage to the Skyrim grandma.

Do you also still have their marker in your Activities? for some reason, the 'location of the xxxxxx' is a permanent fixture in my Activities tab now, I can't get rid of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom