• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

mansoor1980

I had a very nice pleasant encounter with a "Grandma" in space, who invited me to her ship, offered food and told me about her grand-kids.

I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling that might have been homage to the Skyrim grandma.

Do you also still have their marker in your Activities? for some reason, the 'location of the xxxxxx' is a permanent fixture in my Activities tab now, I can't get rid of it.
has to be her , she is also eager for ES6

skyrim-grandma-will-be-an-elder-scrolls-6-npc-thanks-to-fan-petition-1554113838189.jpg

iobko2g2kwq61.jpg

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Obvious question.... But how do we upload pics saved from xbox app??

Its like 13mb but fails to upload on this site

There may be a better way, but this came up previously and I was able to upload it by saving the pic to my photo library and then upload to imgur through the imgur app. From there you should be able to link it and insert into a post.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I use these a lot. 1st one lets you make gifs from video clips. In case you didn't know you can hit the guide button on X box and then X I believe and it captures the last 30 seconds of video. Then in the Xbox menu hit "Trim" and you can edit it down to 10 second clips or less. Then upload it to the Xbox Network. Then download that from the Xbox app. Then upload the clip to the site linked below, click the frame rate to 33 sec (10 sec max) and download your new gif.

Then, if you want to host the gif, or any picture this site works well also and is what I use with no account required.

I've been getting more into capturing footage for gifs in other threads. Never been easier.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Think I'll go ahead and do the Crimson Fleet faction today. Going to try my best and not let them talk me into believing they are actually the good guys in all this, which is what I'm expecting, and take the bastards down from the inside.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
BnObvious question.... But how do we upload pics saved from xbox app??

Its like 13mb but fails to upload on this site
I use Twitter/X. Even lets me change the image to 4k. Took me a few tries to figure out the process.

• Upload image
  • Tap on image in post
  • Load in 4k
  • Tap on image again
  • Open in browser
  • Tap and hold image and copy
  • Paste on gaf
It really only takes seconds once you get it.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Spent some time with the Outpost building stuff tonight, and I'm really enjoying the nuance of the gameplay loop they've constructed here. 25 hours in and I'm still finding entirely new ways for the game to drive me onward. I like that crafting is the impetus to collect resources, which is the impetus to travel to different planets. While on those planets, you'll inevitably see something that grabs your attention, and you'll go off and explore in addition to collecting resources. Just trying to collect aluminium led me to explore a few facilities and a fairly large cave system I didn't even know the game could produce. Then back to my Outpost, where I automated some of my storage and got it set up to house my resources to feed my crafting stations. I imagine folks who didn't bother with the crafting - Weapons, Suits, Outposts, Spaceships, etc. - probably wondered what the gameplay purpose of the planets, resources, and exploration all was. It all comes together, and it's really opening up the game for me in a way Skyrim and Fallout never quite managed. For Fallout 4 in particular, I needed a survival mod for the settlements to be worth the time investment, because then they became little safe havens for sleep, food, water, and resources to keep you going in the wasteland. With Starfield, they've built that kind of utility into the gameplay loop. It's actually pretty great, and I can see myself playing this for a lot longer than I had originally thought. And I haven't even started on Spaceship building. Todd Howard, what'll you think of next.

SCB3

Took a few days off for the Pokemon SV DLC and been working on the Crimson Fleet quests, these are great so far, real horror vibes and then some more sneaking, whats weird is for a game that has quite a lot of Stealth is that I've only found a couple of Chamaeleon packs and no aid, I'm on level 2 Stealth as well and it feels like I get seen far too quick, I do have Manipulate though, thats been helpful

Also pro tip, when sneaking, take off the Spacesuit!

Topher

Gold Member
Took a few days off for the Pokemon SV DLC and been working on the Crimson Fleet quests, these are great so far, real horror vibes and then some more sneaking, whats weird is for a game that has quite a lot of Stealth is that I've only found a couple of Chamaeleon packs and no aid, I'm on level 2 Stealth as well and it feels like I get seen far too quick, I do have Manipulate though, thats been helpful

Also pro tip, when sneaking, take off the Spacesuit!

I keep forgetting I'm wearing the suit and people keep making comments about it. lol

Antwix

Think I'll go ahead and do the Crimson Fleet faction today. Going to try my best and not let them talk me into believing they are actually the good guys in all this, which is what I'm expecting, and take the bastards down from the inside.
Yeah same here. It's my last faction quest I need to do. I've been hearing that it's one of the best ones so I'm excited.

Trippy

I’m noticing a lot of repetition of POI when randomly exploring, such as seeing the same Cryo Lab about 4 times in the past week. Out of interest I’ve tried to search to see how many different POI’s there are, and the best stab at an answer seems to be about 25, but that’s including enemy bases and friendly outposts too. It also appears to be the case that the enemy placement and loot is the same in each instance of those bases too. To support 1000 or so planets that seems incredibly low number if true and will render exploration almost useless after minuscule amount of time compared to that of Skyrim. I‘d expect a game this big, that the repository of handcrafted content to spawn across the planets, would have to be much higher in order to maintain a level of replayability and encourage exploring. I know “modders will fix it”, but it’s seems to be a notable blemish on the game if there are only 25-30 unique POIs to see during random exploration across the entire galaxy.

sainraja

Uhh, you know you can favourite weapons right? you can equip 12 things to the d-pad...

yes
It's still cumbersome unless there is a setting where you can make it so that when you highlight the weapon in the weapon wheel, it gets equipped. Right now, it requires another button press, and in combat, it takes a bit to remember. You can get used to it, but it is a weird decision.

A few things they could have done:
  • Auto-equip weapon from the weapon wheel once highlighted
  • Auto-add recently discovered weapons to your wheel if there are empty slots (you would still be able to manage it manually as you can now)
  • Quick toggle between 2 recently used weapons or something like that
Because right now you have to open the main menu, navigate to inventory, then to 'weapons' and then select 'favorite', and then select slot, for you to be able to quickly access them and what I already mentioned above.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

I’m noticing a lot of repetition of POI when randomly exploring, such as seeing the same Cryo Lab about 4 times in the past week. Out of interest I’ve tried to search to see how many different POI’s there are, and the best stab at an answer seems to be about 25, but that’s including enemy bases and friendly outposts too. It also appears to be the case that the enemy placement and loot is the same in each instance of those bases too. To support 1000 or so planets that seems incredibly low number if true and will render exploration almost useless after minuscule amount of time compared to that of Skyrim. I‘d expect a game this big, that the repository of handcrafted content to spawn across the planets, would have to be much higher in order to maintain a level of replayability and encourage exploring. I know “modders will fix it”, but it’s seems to be a notable blemish on the game if there are only 25-30 unique POIs to see during random exploration across the entire galaxy.
I'm here for the semi-sentient fungus mostly. But yeah, that is an odd call. Seems like a relatively easy thing to increase too.

Macaron

Banned
Since I see some weapons discussion. Is there a game w a worse weapon system? Some galaxy brain shit (pun intended) not just using the color system for gun power. But apparently grey "advanced" guns can be better than golds and stuff like that. Horrible choice.

So uh... what the fuck is with this ending? Absolute garbage, completely flies in the face of the supposed "RPG Sandbox" that Bethesda touts as a major feature of the game. It honestly makes me not even want to keep playing.

Man I need to just move on from this stupid planet but it's so annoying to leave it at 98%. I keep coming back and looking but it's bugged, has to be. More and more reddit posts complaining about it.

Unlocked my first power, it's very cool. I can't wait to see more of them and if they are worth using or not. I assume you can't level the powers up?

Is there a breakdown of how NG+ works anywhere, that is maybe spoiler free or light on spoilers? I've heard so much weird shit, new enemies, new items, planets refresh and have new resources, new storyline, all sorts of weird shit.

Punished Miku

Man I need to just move on from this stupid planet but it's so annoying to leave it at 98%. I keep coming back and looking but it's bugged, has to be. More and more reddit posts complaining about it.

Unlocked my first power, it's very cool. I can't wait to see more of them and if they are worth using or not. I assume you can't level the powers up?

Is there a breakdown of how NG+ works anywhere, that is maybe spoiler free or light on spoilers? I've heard so much weird shit, new enemies, new items, planets refresh and have new resources, new storyline, all sorts of weird shit.
If you guys touch that NG+ conversation at all make sure you put it in spoiler tags.

DonJorginho DonJorginho and MagiusNecros MagiusNecros have finished the main quest I believe.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I had one of those extended warranty types solicit me while out and about - I tried to attack them but they grav jumped away. I really don't like how you can be targeted on a ship, have all of their systems disabled and they can still grav jump away. Is there any way to stop that? There was no power allocated to it in targeting mode, but then boom, gone.

So I reloaded, attacked right away and tried to board the ship. After the docking cutscene, it wouldn't let me "exit ship", so I got up manually and tried, but no dice. Now when I get back in my seat my docking tunnel is permanently extended and I can't move my ship, lol. There's no option to undock and while I can travel to other planets, when I get there my docking bay is still extended and I'm immobile. :messenger_grinning_smiling: How did he get away while I was docking??

Evj15zD.jpg

8SKgYdB.jpg
There are some serious bugs with the ships. Save often (manual save not quicksave). I lost 3 hours and a really nice ship I stole.

I had a weird ass bug where after making some modifications, if I boarded that ship, my view didn’t match my character position. My view would be out in space somewhere clipping through shit even though my character was actually in the ship and I could sometimes see him from my weird disembodied viewpoint.

No amount of reloading, rearranging the ship parts, fast travel, etc would fix it. Tried switching back to Frontier as my home ship and sold the other one. Then Frontier had some mix of parts from before/after my most recent upgrade. The boarding ramp had some other piece superimposed over the same position so I couldn’t board it.

Finally had no choice but to reload my last manual save because none of my quicksaves/autosaves still existed from the period after I captured that ship but before I edited it.

There are some serious bugs with the ships. Save often (manual save not quicksave). I lost 3 hours and a really nice ship I stole.

I had a weird ass bug where after making some modifications, if I boarded that ship, my view didn’t match my character position. My view would be out in space somewhere clipping through shit even though my character was actually in the ship and I could sometimes see him from my weird disembodied viewpoint.

No amount of reloading, rearranging the ship parts, fast travel, etc would fix it. Tried switching back to Frontier as my home ship and sold the other one. Then Frontier had some mix of parts from before/after my most recent upgrade. The boarding ramp had some other piece superimposed over the same position so I couldn’t board it.

Finally had no choice but to reload my last manual save because none of my quicksaves/autosaves still existed from the period after I captured that ship but before I edited it.
I've got like 50 of em (saves). Been down this road before!! :messenger_grinning_smiling: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Crazy that it transferred some of the issues to the Frontier!

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Since I see some weapons discussion. Is there a game w a worse weapon system? Some galaxy brain shit (pun intended) not just using the color system for gun power. But apparently grey "advanced" guns can be better than golds and stuff like that. Horrible choice.

Rare / Epic / Legendary has no effect on DMG. It just tells you how many perks weapon has:

Rare - 1 perk
Epic - 2 perks
Legendary - 3 perks

Of course you can have a perk that increases DMG but that's not the point.

Then you have different versions and the better the version, the more DMG weapon will deal. It goes like this:

Basic
Calibrated
Refined
Advanced

Is it confusing? Yes. Is it very Bethesda like? Oh, yeah.

Last edited:

Trippy

So uh... what the fuck is with this ending? Absolute garbage, completely flies in the face of the supposed "RPG Sandbox" that Bethesda touts as a major feature of the game. It honestly makes me not even want to keep playing.

Without spoiling, do you think the notion of rushing to complete the main quest before undertaking all the side stuff/factions is the way to go? Some reviewers were encouraging this and advising not to treat your first play through as your definition completionist play through. Knowing what you know now do you think that completing the main quest first is the way to go? Or do you think it wouldn’t make a massive difference?

Antwix

The quality mostly affects the damage power. The color/rarity is just for affixes. I think it's fine. I've just been modding higher quality guns how I like.

Macaron

Banned
Rare / Epic / Legendary has no effect on DMG. It just tells you how many perks weapon has:

Rare - 1 perk
Epic - 2 perks
Legendary - 3 perks

Of course you can have a perk that increases DMG but that's not the point.

Then you have different versions and the better the version, the more DMG weapon will deal. It goes like this:

Basic
Calibrated
Refined
Advanced

Is it confusing? Yes. Is it very Bethesda like? Oh, yeah.
Im finished w the game now, but not until I watched a youtube vid like 75% of the way through did I realize the version tiers mean more than color coding. It was all "give it a try and see". And even after the vid, i couldn't be bothered to remember Refined > Calibrated. I have no idea what they were thinking trying to galaxy brain this so hard. Easily one of the low spots of the game when something like this should be so, so simple.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Im finished w the game now, but not until I watched a youtube vid like 75% of the way through did I realize the version tiers mean more than color coding. It was all "give it a try and see". And even after the vid, i couldn't be bothered to remember Refined > Calibrated. I have no idea what they were thinking trying to galaxy brain this so hard. Easily one of the low spots of the game when something like this should be so, so simple.

They should just use colors for rarity and stars for DMG output versions. If you have a gold gun with 1/5 stars and a regular grey gun with 5/5 DMG output stars, it would be easier to understand.

There also should be a way to upgrade the version of the gun at a crafting station. It should be expensive to do, but possible.

But hey, they are the expert game designers, they know better.

Chukhopops

That seems like most games though, you can have a low-level legendary and it will have less damage than a high-level common.

What’s confusing is the prefix system since you can’t guess what’s better between “refined” and “advanced” for example.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
That seems like most games though, you can have a low-level legendary and it will have less damage than a high-level common.

What’s confusing is the prefix system since you can’t guess what’s better between “refined” and “advanced” for example.

You can't possibly make a more confusing system, even if you try deliberately design one. It's just not possible.

Punished Miku

You can't possibly make a more confusing system, even if you try deliberately design one. It's just not possible.
Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't it just DMG and Fire Rate? Even Final Fantasy does that. Some lower damage stuff hits faster, so you need to kinda calculate DPS in your head.

The rest is mostly control preference stuff I thought like aim speed in first person, suppressor, etc.

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe I'm missing something. Isn't it just DMG and Fire Rate? Even Final Fantasy does that. Some lower damage stuff hits faster, so you need to kinda calculate DPS in your head.

The rest is mostly control preference stuff I thought like aim speed in first person, suppressor, etc.

They need add Damage per second to the default inventory UI. Shouldn't have to do the math. I have it on PC with StarUI inventory mod and makes a world of difference.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

No. A fully upgraded, regular grey gun that's classified as ADVANCED will do more damaged that a gold legendary variant that's not ADVANCED.

Including gun clarification in the name and not somewhere in UI with stars / bars / DMG potential indicator / whatever just not what we have now is such a shit UI/UX decision.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Only seems complicated at first but once you understand it it's pretty basic. All the gear has it's DPS and then 3 effects and your modifiers.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Only seems complicated at first but once you understand it it's pretty basic. All the gear has it's DPS and then 3 effects and your modifiers.

Nobody is saying that it's complicated. It's just poorly indicated. It's an extremely badly designed UI/UX for something that should just be obvious at first glance, without even thinking about it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nobody is saying that it's complicated. It's just poorly indicated. It's an extremely badly designed UI/UX for something that should just be obvious at first glance, without even thinking about it.
Oh for sure. There is a bunch of mechanics that are poorly indicated or you just aren't told about.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They need add Damage per second to the default inventory UI. Shouldn't have to do the math. I have it on PC with StarUI inventory mod and makes a world of difference.
While they’re at it they REALLY need some icon indicating the weapon type and the damage type (ballistic/laser/particle/EM).

DOjMq2X.jpg

9icIuyz.jpg

Can anyone advise...

I saw the comment about doing the UC Vanguard missions as the weapon is good.

Is that the "Delivering Devils" quests or the "Deep Cover" one on my mission lists??

soulbait

Maybe they ordered them all from the same catalog, like you used to be able to order your houses back in the day from Sears. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom