• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Topher

Gold Member
Alright I'm getting really tired of a couple of things here now, namely

• The Ship builder, its not intuitive at all and does a really bad job of telling me what I can or cannot do, like just a filter for "Can use" would be a great QoL improvement that really should already be in game, I need to get a Grav Drive that can let me go to 28ly, fine I can do that, oh wait no I can't as my Star Eagle or Frontier ships will not allow me to use any of those Grave Drives with a Reactor I can get
    • So I straight up bought a 25ly Ship, but because its a C Class Ship I need to upgrade my Piloting Perk twice, so now waiting on that, no biggie but really should've locked the ship so I couldn't buy it until I could pilot it or hell let me hire a Pilot

• Wait.....the game does tell you "can't use" that grav drive. That's part of the flight check. It won't let you complete the build and explicitly says your reactor won't work with that grav drive. But yeah, even if you upgraded the reactor you have to have the skill points in the Piloting to fly the ship. I don't think the game should prevent you from buying that ship, but it should at least warn you.

[*]The Temples, they are fucking tedious as fuck to do, its a loop of Fast Travel to Vladimir (the only black Russian I've ever seen), fast travel to Planet, follow Anomaly (which tbh after doing the first, just look for the Obvious Temple on the Horizon) then once inside, follow the lights until the Spinning object finishes, could have these not been decent puzzles? There are some fun ones in the game already so why not reuse the aspects of those at least

Yeah, the temples got boring real quick.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Meme Think GIF

I could've sworn I saw a warning when I tried to buy a B cert ship when I was A cert.
Yeah I had also a warning when I bought the narwhale

Topher

Gold Member
I'm hitting up the activities since finishing the factions. Finding some decent side quests. Also finished...

Burden of Proof quest which is spawned off in the Crimson Fleet faction. I figured it would just close on its own in the factions quest, but no you can still complete it after the fact. Really just a fetch quest where you go around to places you've already been to pick up slates as evidence

I used a mod (an ini tweak actually) that disables the stupid camera zoom when you talk to someone. If the camera switches to another person though it resets to the regular zoom. But for 1 on 1 conversations it's an improvement. It's such a weird choice that they went with oblivion camera style. It makes the game feel dated.

On another note I uninstalled the "immersive grav jump"mod. But it left a lasting effect on my save that fucked up the grav jump animation. It's an esp mod, but without proper modding tools it means it's an experimental mod that can cause unexpected issues. I knew the risks.
Lesson learned. I uninstalled all esp mods and loaded a clean save from hours before.

I have over 100 hours of playtime and the only faction quest I completed was the crimson quest one. But now I regret having joined the pirates. But just because I enjoy killing them. It's frustrating to arrive at a "dungeon" only to find friendly pirates.
I guess it's time for a "redention arc". I'll join the UC.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I used a mod (an ini tweak actually) that disables the stupid camera zoom when you talk to someone. If the camera switches to another person though it resets to the regular zoom. But for 1 on 1 conversations it's an improvement. It's such a weird choice that they went with oblivion camera style. It makes the game feel dated.

On another note I uninstalled the "immersive grav jump"mod. But it left a lasting effect on my save that fucked up the grav jump animation. It's an esp mod, but without proper modding tools it means it's an experimental mod that can cause unexpected issues. I knew the risks.
Lesson learned. I uninstalled all esp mods and loaded a clean save from hours before.

I have over 100 hours of playtime and the only faction quest I completed was the crimson quest one. But now I regret having joined the pirates. But just because I enjoy killing them. It's frustrating to arrive at a "dungeon" only to find friendly pirates.
I guess it's time for a "redention arc". I'll join the UC.

Can you please share that .INI setting? I'd like to try it out. Thanks.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ryujin is currently my favorite faction of the game. Still saving Crimson Fleet for later but have been hearing nothing but good things about it.

Antwix

Ryujin is currently my favorite faction of the game. Still saving Crimson Fleet for later but have been hearing nothing but good things about it.
I think I'm with you. UC was good but I liked the corpo theme a lot. I just like Neon a lot in general. I also still have to do Crimson Fleet too but I've been chilling on Neon doing a bunch of quests there.

Can you please share that .INI setting? I'd like to try it out. Thanks.
I linked the mod on my previous post. Just follow the intructions It's https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/627
Do you have a StarfieldCustom.ini? Its located in Documents/My Games/Starfield. But that's the steam version. I'm not sure about the gamepass one.

These ini tweaks will also change the fov. This will, I believe, disable achievements. Anyway this is what goes inside the ini:

[Archive]
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=

[Camera]
# First Person FOV
fFPWorldFOV=90.0000

# Third Person FOV
fTPWorldFOV=90.0000

[Dialogue]
# Anything over 1 eliminates the camera/collision zoom
fDialogueCameraCollisionRadius=2

# Dialogue Camera FP FOV
fDialogueCameraFailsafeFPFOV=90

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
382ff43b653f7a9ff200f96fabedb108.jpeg

60 hours in, 2 main missions and about 50 misc/factions, only started the UC faction quest.. so many more to come, might be my most played game ever.
I like how they locked skills with having to use the skill to unlock farther rank, it makes the game more interesting when you're not fully upgraded at mid game and having stuff to look forward to. Also had my first time in a ship with no gravity.. was cool! it feels tbh like i maybe played 25-30% and have so much to see, like i just figured out you can't jump to all stars as my ship has low grav drive lol i had to switch to the ship my parents gave me, thanks pop!

Finished Sarah quest.. was nice, are there any more quests per companion? or is it one quest per the four companions? if only one quest then i will replace Sarah with someone else.

Another question, i want to upgrade my Razorleaf grav drive so i could fly anywhere, can you later use the parts you bought to upgrade new ships? or you need to buy them again? Thanks :)

BigLee74

Here's another interesting mod that let's you zoom in on planets when choosing a landing spot. Default zoom makes it impossible to pick two adjacent tiles but this fixes that. Author claims that tiles do indeed line up properly and that the whole planet is rendered this way. Just like with the supercruise mod only a tiny minority of players will ever bother with this stuff but it's interesting to see how the tech works.

This never got anywhere near enough attention! This forum was practically mocking Starfield ‘tiles’ when people believed they were all generated from individual seeds that didn’t align over the planet.

This claims otherwise, and not a peep!

If true (and I believe it is) I guess it’s still on Bethesda for not making this kind of thing obvious in the UI (eg allow the user to zoom in close enough and show a rectangle that represents the area that will be played in upon landing).

Can anyone confirm the quoted claim?

(As an aside, I’ve played about 40 hours and never felt the need to land in 2 different custom landing zones on a planet, never mind 2 beside each other. It’s a drag exploring even one without some kind of vehicle 😂)

oji-san

Banned
1000% for me anyway.

The games only just started it's life. They've already said they are working on city maps and dlss is coming.

My character hasn't even gone through one new game plus yet....I'm over 100 hours in and the crimson fleet missions have got me in, can't wait to finish work and get back on it yet.

The 1000 planets will allow them to drop content in whenever they want and there's dlc coming.

This game will be around for years and I'm here for it.
Oh they said they are adding city maps? that's very good, i think that in a year or so the game will have much needed additions, reminds me like The Witcher 3 didn't had any storage options on launch.

Last edited:
But thats what I'm using, I can't seem to upgrade its Grav engine past 16ly
if it's class A then you need to get higher level and starship design at a higher level to get more powerful A parts, look at the engines of the star eagle, they are super powerful A parts, but they requires starship design and a very high level to even unlock (so don't sell them).
If you need stronger parts at lower levels or without investing into star ship design, you need to move up to B or C, and it order to move those parts you need a Reactor of that rank first.

Just finished the main quest "Entangled".

This was a pretty cool questline, I was surprised the first time I dimension shifted and loved that it's instantaneous. Interesting idea and was enjoyable to the end I think.

This never got anywhere near enough attention! This forum was practically mocking Starfield ‘tiles’ when people believed they were all generated from individual seeds that didn’t align over the planet.

This claims otherwise, and not a peep!

If true (and I believe it is) I guess it’s still on Bethesda for not making this kind of thing obvious in the UI (eg allow the user to zoom in close enough and show a rectangle that represents the area that will be played in upon landing).

Can anyone confirm the quoted claim?

(As an aside, I’ve played about 40 hours and never felt the need to land in 2 different custom landing zones on a planet, never mind 2 beside each other. It’s a drag exploring even one without some kind of vehicle 😂)
Here's proof with images: https://reddit.com/r/Starfield/s/BbjPiA1C3O

I'm 70 hours in and haven't hit a boundary yet and I honestly haven't felt the need to move to an adjacent tile either. Still, if modders find a way to make the game load the next tile when you hit the edge, that would be great for muh immershun👌

The tile thing and the fact that solar systems are rendered at their full scale with simulated orbits makes me think they were working on more complex game mechanics and chose to tone it down to keep it casual friendly (or couldn't make it work properly).

Best and most addictive part of the game imo.

Leveling up.
Yeah, I feel like they talked about a return to RPG form and I'm not sure I agree with that in regard to Starfield, but regardless I like the way the perk system is setup in this game and do enjoy it as well as the subchallenges per level of the skill. I'd still want attributes and everything else to make full return in TES VI (unlike Skyrim I mean).

Spyxos

Gold Member
I think I have a game-breaking bug in Akila City. No matter which door I use, I get an infinite loading screen, i also can't enter my ship. Anyone had something similar? Any idea how to fix it?

Edit: also no npcs are moving, they just stand still.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think I have a game-breaking bug in Akila City. No matter which door I use, I get an infinite loading screen, i also can't enter my ship. Anyone had something similar? Any idea how to fix it?

Edit: also no npcs are moving, they just stand still.

Times like that I load up an earlier save. Not much else you can do I don't think.

adamsapple

So how did everyone here handle the choice in the main quest Unearthed?
I am kinda done with both the Emissary and the Hunter and told both of them to fuck off, now they've joined forces and are saying they'll wait for me to kill me together.

Whelp . Hopefully it's not a hard fight lol.

Looks like this is heading towards the end-game quests so I'm gonna put it aside and do the Crimson Fleet first.

So how did everyone here handle the choice in the main quest Unearthed?
I am kinda done with both the Emissary and the Hunter and told both of them to fuck off, now they've joined forces and are saying they'll wait for me to kill me together.

Whelp . Hopefully it's not a hard fight lol.

Looks like this is heading towards the end-game quests so I'm gonna put it aside and do the Crimson Fleet first.
Made the same decision, but not quite far enough to see the result of it. I did the same thing - shifted to Crimson Fleet at that time. Wrapped it up, surveyed some planets/built some outposts and my beach house, now looking to ease back into the main quest.

adamsapple

Made the same decision, but not quite far enough to see the result of it. I did the same thing - shifted to Crimson Fleet at that time. Wrapped it up, surveyed some planets/built some outposts and my beach house, now looking to ease back into the main quest.

Btw, question about a character.

Is the Emissary always the person who dies in your game, or is it a coincidence that it's Sam (Sam is the one who died in my game).

Btw, question about a character.

Is the Emissary always the person who dies in your game, or is it a coincidence that it's Sam (Sam is the one who died in my game).
No idea, but that was my immediate assumption when I saw them. I believe it would make sense and is pretty cool on Bethesda's part. But yeah, it must be because
Barret died and was the Emissary for me

Last edited:

adamsapple

I've not bothered with the ship builder stuff yet. Can you walk around the inside of the ship before you buy?

No, you have to buy it before you can explore.

Make a manual save before buying and reload if it's no to your liking.

-

RE: Ryujin Faction reward.

The nuro-implant that I got near the ending has come up in persuasion checks and it always has a high green value. Shit, this is great, would have done the Ryujin faction quest much sooner if I realized this was going to be the reward.

I did the entire Ryujin questline and some other side quests with Andreja and friendship options are still nowhere to be seen. Even used Paramour a few times...

Stafford

Several locked doors on New Atlantis in the Well, such as the door next to UC Surplus. It's next to that panel. I found a text log about a safe that was confiscated in the locked yard. I am guessing it's this door.

Do I get access to these doors in side quests later on? I still have several side quests I got in this area, I probably should finish those first.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I did the entire Ryujin questline and some other side quests with Andreja and friendship options are still nowhere to be seen. Even used Paramour a few times...
Try doing Freestar Ranger rescue missions (board is inside the entrance to The Rock). Rescue hostages, build companion rep. If that doesn't work you might be bugged.

clarky

Gold Member
Played nothing else since early access. Had to slow down the last few days due to real life but this is undoubtedly my GOTY.

If theres a definition of a game more than the sum of its parts its this.

One one hand i could rip it bits but on the other hand i love it to peices.

Such a strange title, awesome non the less.

Final score : must play. 9/10

adamsapple

Join the Freestar Collective guild and use their mission board to do the repeatable Hostage Rescue missions, it guarantees a "xyz liked that" for rescuing the hostage every time. Good place to farm affinity to progress any partners personal quests / romance options.

Top Bottom