• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Maddux4164

Banned
That may be, but many of us here have a very strong connection to this game so it is not hard to gush about in hyperboles.

I don't mind people not liking the game. It is totally fine, but I also have noticed that a lot of criticisms often seem shortsighted. The thing with most games is that the game itself tells you pretty much how to play it, even open world games. Starfield for the most part doesn't because there are tons of ways to play it. Yes, there are fetch quests and yes, a lot of planets don't really have anything much to do on them. You know what? You don't have to do all that, because there is so much more. And if nothing interests you (like the awesome faction quests, outpost or ship building, exploring and charting the galaxy, space battles or just random fps mayhem) then I guess the game is not for you. It's OK.
I’ve got no strong connection whatsoever lol

Check my post history. Sure…was looking forward to it. But absolutely rarely ever mentioned it on a post.

It’s far surpassed my expectations.

Mephisto40

It’s my experience. Not sure what to say. I’ve not even paid for this game. Just a GamePass play. No need for me to white knight for it.

Just tonight I’ve flown to a star system. Hailed a colony ship. Found out they are a generational ship from earth 200 years ago. Docked with it. Could’ve just pass it up. Didn’t.

People were born. Lived full lives. Died. On it.

It’s absolutely massive. You can see how they grow plants. The classrooms. Sleeping areas. Etc etc

They gave me a huge quest to do (wont spoil)

Then someone on that ship had his own side quest. Sent me to freezing cold Titan. Moon of Saturn. Met a guy who sold tours of their settlement for $100. Also reunited a family

THEN… became a deputy police ranger on another planet. Got a huge quest that’s led to one thing and other (no spoilers). Met many people. Built relationships. Seen so much cool stuff.

NONE OF THIS was “main missions”. Squarely side content
I'm not sure how you could have possibly played the game as much as you claim to have and only just come across that mission, it's impossible to avoid about half way through the main storyline, and nothing like that ever seems to happen again afterwards

I've played this game for around 60 hours, and i'm running out of meaningful quests, all I'm pretty much left with at this point is generic procedural generated missions, and outpost building

I've already finished all the faction quests and built a ship that destroys almost everything instantly. Outside of the main 5 cities there is literally nothing else to do mission wise, other than the pre mentioned prcedural generated "go here and kill this person" and "Go here and collect 'X'"

Also my games crashing to dashboard about every 60 minutes when I enter the menus

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
Apparently I’m about to run the “Red Mile”

Rich elites bet on if I’ll survive and how far I’ll get

There’s a leaderboard and all
cy1mwyi.jpg

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
I'm not sure how you could have possibly played the game as much as you claim to have and only just come across that mission, it's impossible to avoid about half way through the main storyline

I've played this game for around 60 hours, and i'm running out of meaningful quests, all I'm pretty much left with at this point is generic procedural generated missions, and outpost building

I've already finished all the faction quests and built a ship that destroys almost everything instantly. Outside of the main 5 cities there is literally nothing else to do mission wise, other than the pre mentioned prcedural generated "go here and kill this person" and "Go here and collect 'X'"

Also my games crashing to dashboard about every 60 minutes when I enter the menus
Good for you. You got 60 hours out of this game and now you’re bored. Sounds like you’re done.

I’ve got 20 hours and feel brand new

Good for you. You got 60 hours out of this game and now you’re bored. Sounds like you’re done.

I’ve got 20 hours and feel brand new

Might be a good idea to check a wiki for a list of quests if you have run out of them. I played Skyrim for 70 hrs and must have done about half of the quests.

Not sure how long quests will last for this game. I am playing this one differently, have done 3-4 quests total after 40 hrs.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not sure how you could have possibly played the game as much as you claim to have and only just come across that mission, it's impossible to avoid about half way through the main storyline, and nothing like that ever seems to happen again afterwards

First Contact was a side mission. It isn't part of the main storyline. And the main storyline can be done at will. Several folks in this thread spent many hours doing things outside of the main story at the very beginning. I'm at 140+ hours and just finished all factions, the main storyline and several other side missions. The thing I decided to go into NG+ but I could have tackled many other side missions in my first play through if I chose to. So obviously the amount of time in game is going to vary from person to person. I don't think anyone should be questioning others in this regard.

Might be a good idea to check a wiki for a list of quests if you have run out of them. I played Skyrim for 70 hrs and must have done about half of the quests.

Not sure how long quests will last for this game. I am playing this one differently, have done 3-4 quests total after 40 hrs.

And don't forget the activities list. I've had several side missions spawn from simple "Talk to so and so" in the activities.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
First Contact was a side mission. It isn't part of the main storyline. And the main storyline can be done at will. Several folks in this thread spent many hours doing things outside of the main story at the very beginning. I'm at 140+ hours and just finished all factions, the main storyline and several other side missions. The thing I decided to go into NG+ but I could have tackled many other side missions in my first play through if I chose to. So obviously the amount of time in game is going to vary from person to person. I don't think anyone should be questioning others in this regard.

And don't forget the activities list. I've had several side missions spawn from simple "Talk to so and so" in the activities.
Yep. Activities turn into MAJOR side quests (one example is Walter)

SCB3

And main Quest done, a quick review:

a Solid 8/10 imo, not the best game I've played this year (Zelda is easily taking that) but a fun damned time, with only a few Minor annoyances, but they are minor

I will be back for this, theres not a lot I didn't do Quest/Story wise but still plenty out there to discover and of course the DLC, I'm split on whether I want to go through NG+ at this point, but I want to get to Level 100 regardless at some point, but for now, I need a break lol

For a massive open world game it looks really good. Definitely next gen. Atlantis looks like shit, though. And it tanks performance. It's like walking around a poorly designed shopping mall.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Funny. Reminds me.

Saw a family of 3 with a little girl eating at Chunks restaurant on Titan (Saturn moon)

She said “it’s freezing here. Why do we vacation here”

😂

People casually living on Titan (surface temp. -220 C, no breathable atmosphere) in a universe like Starfield, with technology that's available in Starfied makes no sense. They can grav drive instantly to anywhere, in an endless universe, with endless supply of habitable planets. No way people would live in a hell hole like this.

Especially because apparently in this universe starships are like mobile phones or cars and people can't wait for the 'next year's model'. It's all so goofy and stupid.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Was planning on doing more main quest stuff.

But I’m knee deep in “misc” missions

Spent a couple hours on this one. No real spoilers. Just a colony ship from earth (no grav drive) needs help and blah blah. It’s a FASCINATING story mind you

Just don’t want to spoil it.

Finished it. Now a member of that ship has me on Titan, moon of Saturn. 🪐

Very cool stuff

I’m level 21 and have 20 hours into the game thus far. Feel like I’ve basically just started playing

Also, docking used to feel clunky to me. Now it’s just zip and I’m in. Feels good
Yeah this quest is really good with plenty of choices to make.

Reminded me of a sci-fi novel with the same concept of a first wave of settlers arriving centuries after a second wave but I forgot how it was called.

Maddux4164

Banned
Yeah this quest is really good with plenty of choices to make.

Reminded me of a sci-fi novel with the same concept of a first wave of settlers arriving centuries after a second wave but I forgot how it was called.
Was such a good mission

Frankly I’m never truly invested in stories on side quests often. Most are short and simple (in general in my experience gaming)

But this had so much happening it was wild. These people thought they were the only humans left in the universe.

Yet Sarah came in their ship and was all “look how old this shit is. Their computers. It’s like a museum” 😂

She dunked all over it

Maddux4164

Banned
People casually living on Titan (surface temp. -220 C, no breathable atmosphere) in a universe like Starfield, with technology that's available in Starfied makes no sense. They can grav drive instantly to anywhere, in an endless universe, with endless supply of habitable planets. No way people would live in a hell hole like this.

Especially because apparently in this universe starships are like mobile phones or cars and people can't wait for the 'next year's model'. It's all so goofy and stupid.
Maybe Chunks had amazing food and they enjoy the customer service? 😂

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Maybe Chunks had amazing food and they enjoy the customer service? 😂

Must be that juicy radiation coming from Jupiter. Game clearly doesn’t care about logic, they just had an idea that they thought was cool and run with it. I’m surprised there are no people living on Earth anymore. A faction of people who refused to leave their home and settled there sounds like a no brainier.

Stafford

So far things looked great with my TV brightness lowered drastically, which was surprising to me. But now in New Atlantis outside during daytime it's just too dark, some heavy black level crush here. If I put brightness at default again NA outside looks fine, but inside has this washed out look again, not to mention caves and night time.

Why the fuck did they settle on this look? The Direct to my recollection didn't look this washed out. Then again, I don't believe they showed much caves or night time either. Hopefully the options they will add will make it good for us. Because I can't be switching brightness every time I go into a cave etc. Truly wish Xbox had mod support now, I would have settled on achievements being blocked.

Maddux4164

Banned
Must be that juicy radiation coming from Jupiter. Game clearly doesn’t care about logic, they just had an idea that they thought was cool and run with it. I’m surprised there are no people living on Earth anymore. A faction of people who refused to leave their home and settled there sounds like a no brainier.
Agreed on that. However… many cool things on earth still.

Badass earth faction of survivors does seem like a no brainer. For sure.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
And main Quest done, a quick review:

a Solid 8/10 imo, not the best game I've played this year (Zelda is easily taking that) but a fun damned time, with only a few Minor annoyances, but they are minor

I will be back for this, theres not a lot I didn't do Quest/Story wise but still plenty out there to discover and of course the DLC, I'm split on whether I want to go through NG+ at this point, but I want to get to Level 100 regardless at some point, but for now, I need a break lol
0 clue on NG+ except I’ve heard it’s glorious

SCB3

0 clue on NG+ except I’ve heard it’s glorious
I started it out of curiosity and the Ship and armor you get are pretty fucking cool, still have my other save that I wanna do more with, its a shame that your weapons and Ships don't come with you, I think they should tbh

Titan is different, I recall someone there saying that it was one of the first, if not the first place people settled and it was the start of future colonisation of the galaxy; everyone who lives there also has an earth city as their last name.
Titan is more of a symbol and historical site, not an example of just trying to live in extreme environments lol.

It's pretty much if space travel was easy for us now, we'd all flock to go and see the lunar landing site and probably build tourist stations on the moon lol.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Titan is different, I recall someone there saying that it was one of the first, if not the first place people settled and it was the start of future colonisation of the galaxy; everyone who lives there also has an earth city as their last name.
Titan is more of a symbol and historical site, not an example of just trying to live in extreme environments lol.

It's pretty much if space travel was easy for us now, we'd all flock to go and see the lunar landing site and probably build tourist stations on the moon lol.
I thought it was one of the first places with sub surface oceans and water.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

No it's not pretty much like that. None of it makes sense. You got there and you have people just chilling, living their lives on frozen hell hole with no atmosphere and brutal radiation from parent planet. Every civilian outpost is the same, lazy writing, lazy reasoning: "I live here because city bad". That's very 2023 way of looking at future.

There's even a 'side quest' on Titan where you can talk to man's wife and daughter, I don't want to spoil it but it illustrates the problem perfectly. "We are simple folk, enjoy simple life, city bad". Dude, you can teleport in seconds to any place in the universe. There are unlimited worlds with fauna, flora, atmosphere, oceans, warm weather and sunshine. Why in the fuck would you want to live your life here? And don't get me started on the other side of the settlement on Titan where people live in shipping containers because they're running out of space. None of it makes any sense.

Also, I believe that first real settlement outside of Earth in this universe was Cydonia on Mars. Not that it matters.

Maddux4164

Banned
No it's not pretty much like that. None of it makes sense. You got there and you have people just chilling, living their lives on frozen hell hole with no atmosphere and brutal radiation from parent planet. Every civilian outpost is the same, lazy writing, lazy reasoning: "I live here because city bad". That's very 2023 way of looking at future.

There's even a 'side quest' on Titan where you can talk to man's wife and daughter, I don't want to spoil it but it illustrates the problem perfectly. "We are simple folk, enjoy simple life, city bad". Dude, you can teleport in seconds to any place in the universe. There are unlimited worlds with fauna, flora, atmosphere, oceans, warm weather and sunshine. Why in the fuck would you want to live your life here? And don't get me started on the other side of the settlement on Titan where people live in shipping containers because they're running out of space. None of it makes any sense.

Also, I believe that first real settlement outside of Earth in this universe was Cydonia on Mars. Not that it matters.
I absolutely see your point

But true human logic and video games never work

We suspend belief and accept the world presented to us

I could say the same for 100% of video games I’ve played

It’s fun to see a family on a vacation on a frozen planet and the kid BITCHES that it’s cold 😂

It’s all in fun and not meant for it all to be logical

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I absolutely see your point

But true human logic and video games never work

We suspend belief and accept the world presented to us

I could say the same for 100% of video games I’ve played

It’s fun to see a family on a vacation on a frozen planet and the kid BITCHES that it’s cold 😂

It’s all in fun and not meant for it all to be logical

Mass Effect has multiple intelligent alien races but I find its universe / world building / lore more believable than Starfield's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Starfield. Almost 170 hours and counting. But it's all bullshit when you stop even for a second and think about it.

Maddux4164

Banned
Mass Effect has multiple intelligent alien races but I find its universe / world building / lore more believable than Starfield's.

Don't get me wrong, I love Starfield. Almost 170 hours and counting. But it's all bullshit when you stop even for a second and think about it.
Dark souls is bullshit lol complete nonsense but for ME….

Best game of this century easily

Mass effect is also BS. Bunch of alien sci-fi non sense that couldn’t happen in real life

It’s still fun of course.

Maddux4164

Banned

Also Mass Effect is extremely linear. It’s all scripted and the scope can’t even begin to go anywhere near where Starfield is.

It’s a GREAT GAME. Beat it myself 15 years ago. It’s fantastic. But let’s not pretend it’s not linear and on rails

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Dark souls is bullshit lol complete nonsense but for ME….

Best game of this century easily

Mass effect is also BS. Bunch of alien sci-fi non sense that couldn’t happen in real life

It’s still fun of course.

Darks Souls is not trying to be serious and sell you on an illusion that this is a real place with real people. So it's not an issue. Starfield is 100% trying but it's failing miserably. Hell, even something like universe of Fallout New Vegas is more believable than this.

Also Mass Effect is extremely linear. It’s all scripted and the scope can’t even begin to go anywhere near where Starfield is.

It’s a GREAT GAME. Beat it myself 15 years ago. It’s fantastic. But let’s not pretend it’s not linear and on rails

Linearity has nothing to do with believability. Listen to this shit and tell me it's not S+ level of world building.

Jemm

Maybe they have planned to bring intelligent alien races to Starfield 2 and build a story around them.

Maddux4164

Banned
Darks Souls is not trying to be serious and sell you on an illusion that this is a real place with real people. So it's not an issue. Starfield is 100% trying but it's failing miserably. Hell, even something like universe of Fallout New Vegas is more believable than this.

Linearity has nothing to do with believability. Listen to this shit and tell me it's not S+ level of world building.

I dunno. 🤷‍♂️ I do not try to make real human logic on deep space sifi games

Perhaps games like GTA or RDR… yeah I’ll try and equate real world scenarios to it

But not sci-fi games or fantasy ones

Grav drives and ripping a worm hole in space for travel makes no sense. I just Accept it. It’s fun

Also…you played Dark souls? It takes itself EXTREMELY seriously

Starfield however doesn’t take itself seriously

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Maybe they have planned to bring intelligent alien races to Starfield 2 and build a story around them.

Maybe. But intelligent aliens are not a must. I know Bethesda wants to keep their games open but clearly we don't have technology to depict a believable galaxy-spanning civilization. Example. New Atlantis is the size of shopping outlet city. Maybe the approach of Citadel where you have explorable section of a much bigger city that's there in the background is better after all. Let your imagination fill the blanks.

I dunno. 🤷‍♂️ I do not try to make real human logic on deep space sifi games

Perhaps games like GTA or RDR… yeah I’ll try and equate real world scenarios to it

But not sci-fi games or fantasy ones

Human logic? It's just logic. Something is either believable or not. Sci-fi or not, does not matter.

Grav drives and ripping a worm hole in space for travel makes no sense. I just Accept it. It’s fun

It actually makes a lot of sense. And that's the problem. When you have such technology and star ships are like cars in our time where people are eagerly awaiting new model of a ship like it's some kind of Toyota Corolla, none of the rest of the bullshit (like outpost on Titan) makes any sense.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
The child sitting in a restaurant on frozen tundra Titan and BITCHING it was cold and wondered why her family went on vacation there told me all I need to know

Was hilarious 😂😂

I almost Expected “honey we have warm climates at home” from the mom 👩

I mean they do talk about it - how their intent is to live in the traditional way of Earth without using a lot of "fancy technology". It felt reasonable enough to me. The daughter obviously wants to leave.

Maddux4164

Banned
I’ve actually had convos on why folks don’t just leave their situation and they had all sorts of reasons

Families. Broke. They can’t afford to go buy star ships

One women was a single lady with a child in a shithole in cydonia on mars. Had a kid. He’s around 10. She wants to leave but can’t afford it.

Also until he’s 18, they will provide free healthcare and such for him.

So let’s not pretend they don’t give reasons. They do.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anyone here whose gotten the full 1000/1000 Achievements yet ?

I'm looking at it, and the level 100 one seems to be the hardest one tbh.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I mean they do talk about it - how their intent is to live in the traditional way of Earth without using a lot of "fancy technology". It felt reasonable enough to me. The daughter obviously wants to leave.

Traditional way of Earth without fancy technology? Well, I can give them names of a couple of planets where they can go and live in normal, breathable atmosphere, plant crops and domesticate animals, You know, the traditional way. Without all the fancy technology that's keeping them alive on hell hole like Europa.

And because travel is instantaneous, they can go there in seconds. With as much cargo as they want.

Sorry, it's just bullshit, you're not convincing me.

No it's not pretty much like that. None of it makes sense. You got there and you have people just chilling, living their lives on frozen hell hole with no atmosphere and brutal radiation from parent planet.
Yes I know, but I'm saying for Titan it's because of the historical significance, the people in the cafeteria even complain about the cold and why they even go there still, the research on titan paved the way for galatic colonisation, and when the research station was decommissioned people settled there because of its history.

Maddux4164

Banned
The scenario I’m speaking of the family was on vacation. They don’t live there. It was funny 😆

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yes I know, but I'm saying for Titan it's because of the historical significance, the people in the cafeteria even complain about the cold and why they even go there still, the research on titan paved the way for galatic colonisation, and when the research station was decommissioned people settled there because of its history.

You can have a heritage site that's just there for tourist, no problem. But don't tell me people would be living there. Not even staff. They can just be grav-drived there for their shift, no problemo.

Maddux4164

Banned
You can have a heritage site that's just there for tourist, no problem. But don't tell me people would be living there. Not even staff. They can just be grav-drived there for their shift, no problemo.
You speak to the poor lady working hard labor on cydonia with the 10 year old. She wants to leave but can’t. She don’t own no star ship 😂

She’s grateful for her tiny bedroom of a place to live

Last edited:
Traditional way of Earth without fancy technology? Well, I can give them names of a couple of planets where they can go and live in normal, breathable atmosphere, plant crops and domesticate animals, You know, the traditional way. Without all the fancy technology that's keeping them alive on hell hole like Europa.

And because travel is instantaneous, they can go there in seconds. With as much cargo as they want.

Sorry, it's just bullshit, you're not convincing me.
Well I don't really care if I'm convincing you or not - but characters do provide some rationale (ie tradition in this case). If you don't like it that's fine with me.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I’ve actually had convos on why folks don’t just leave their situation and they had all sorts of reasons

Families. Broke. They can’t afford to go buy star ships

One women was a single lady with a child in a shithole in cydonia on mars. Had a kid. He’s around 10. She wants to leave but can’t afford it.

Also until he’s 18, they will provide free healthcare and such for him.

So let’s not pretend they don’t give reasons. They do.
I never got the impression that space travel is as easy as having a car either. You see settlers traveling, or a teacher, and the concern is always "what the hell are you even doing out here? You could die any second." You would need a crew with multiple advanced skills. You would need to be able to repair expensive parts. You would need to be able to fight off pirates and spacers. I would assume most average people are 100% stuck on the planet they're born on, even more so if its a lower level mining town without a ton of other economic opportunities. The game just kind of makes it more accessible for the player because it's a video game, but Constellation is still a well funded private military / science group with lots of expertise.

My favorite recent sci-fi lore is still probably The Ascent. Space travel is so expensive that you basically become an indentured servant for life just for your ticket.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
You speak to the poor lady working hard labor on cydonia with the 10 year old. She wants to leave but can’t. She don’t own no star ship 😂

She’s grateful for her tiny bedroom of a place to live

I spoke to her. Refused to help and stole all her shit. And that would be cool if star ships manufactures would not be presented as Toyotas and Fords of our time. "Oh no, we can't finish our next design... we should aim for camper type of ship for families" or "Our ships are so good, people can't wait for next year's model".

Lore for it to be believable must be consistent. This ain't it.

Well I don't really care if I'm convincing you or not - but characters do provide some rationale (ie tradition in this case). If you don't like it that's fine with me.

Their rationale is laughable and I talked to 95% of people on Titan.

Maddux4164

Banned
I never got the impression that space travel is as easy as having a car either. You see settlers traveling, or a teacher, and the concern is always "what the hell are you even doing out here? You could die any second." You would need a crew with multiple advanced skills. You would need to be able to repair expensive parts. You would need to be able to fight off pirates and spacers. I would assume most average people are 100% stuck on the planet they're born on, even more so if its a lower level mining town without a ton of other economic opportunities. The game just kind of makes it more accessible for the player because it's a video game, but Constellation is still a well funded private military / science group with lots of expertise.

My favorite recent sci-fi lore is still probably The Ascent. Space travel is so expensive that you basically become an indentured servant for life just for your ticket.
Bingo. The average person doesn’t have a ship to fly around the cosmos in.

Met Sona? Girl was left behind by the UC and had to make her own way as a kid and her parents died. She was abandoned by the very people who were supposed to help her.

Many tragic stories I’ve seen

Top Bottom