• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Join the Freestar Collective guild and use their mission board to do the repeatable Hostage Rescue missions, it guarantees a "xyz liked that" for rescuing the hostage every time. Good place to farm affinity to progress any partners personal quests / romance options.
Try doing Freestar Ranger rescue missions (board is inside the entrance to The Rock). Rescue hostages, build companion rep. If that doesn't work you might be bugged.
Well, I guess this is what I have to do! Thanks :messenger_sunglasses:

How cool is this spot? As soon as I've found it, I placed an outpost beacon. Amazing views, plus there's a melted glacier nearby, one of the coolest 'traits' I've seen so far.

qddKO5R.jpg

Bonus. I really enjoyed my time on this planet. Very unique stone formations.

WXO7p9a.jpg
It took me about 50 hours to realise the planets rotated and I saw my first sunrise. The light hit and illuminated the temple I was walking towards. It was glorious.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Played 20 hours, just cant get into it. While a step forward it feels a step back with the loading screens, fetch quests/missions etc. its def a Bathesda game. I wish the game allowed actual proper space exploration. As much as I played it esp with thr shooting im just.....bored. Back to New Vegas honestly

Played 20 hours, just cant get into it. While a step forward it feels a step back with the loading screens, fetch quests/missions etc. its def a Bathesda game. I wish the game allowed actual proper space exploration. As much as I played it esp with thr shooting im just.....bored. Back to New Vegas honestly
Nothing wrong with that, New Vegas is such an amazing game.

Topher

Gold Member
So how did everyone here handle the choice in the main quest Unearthed?
I am kinda done with both the Emissary and the Hunter and told both of them to fuck off, now they've joined forces and are saying they'll wait for me to kill me together.

Whelp . Hopefully it's not a hard fight lol.

Looks like this is heading towards the end-game quests so I'm gonna put it aside and do the Crimson Fleet first.

I just finished the game at 143 hours and headed into NG+. For Unearthed, I did exactly as you.

Game was a blast. Looking forward to playing it again.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Nothing wrong with that, New Vegas is such an amazing game.
Right? I feel like Bathesda games havent been thte same since then. Was Skyrim good? Yes it was more an annomily during the time. But I more long for games like Oblivion and New Vegas. Im hoping the new Elders Scrolls is better but the newer Bathesda games for me are just not hitting

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
It took me about 50 hours to realise the planets rotated and I saw my first sunrise. The light hit and illuminated the temple I
was walking towards. It was glorious.

You’ll find this one interesting from earlier in the thread:
Just went to Venus to check this out, since on Venus a day there is equal to 243 days on Earth….and it took pretty much a full 24 hours just to move it a minute on the clock. The interesting part though was that the minute ticked down instead of up (It went from 20:30 local time to 20:29) which I’m guessing is because Venus rotates in reverse to Earth and the other planets, so it basically ends up running the clock backwards.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I just got Piloting level 1. What are these thrusters I now have access too? Do I have to install them?

No, you don't have to install them. They give you temporary boost of speed. You hit the button (R3?) and it will start boosting until you your boost runs out or you adjust the throttle. Goo for getting to something a little quicker or in a dogfight.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
No, you don't have to install them. They give you temporary boost of speed. You hit the button (R3?) and it will start boosting until you your boost runs out or you adjust the throttle. Goo for getting to something a little quicker or in a dogfight.
I've had that the whole game on L3. Not sure what the upgrade did I guess.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've had that the whole game on L3. Not sure what the upgrade did I guess.

Thrusters let you use R1 + Direction for quick evades. I think it's R1, not 100% cause even though I have it maxed (to be able to pilot ships), I never really use it.

edit: I have all my sprints set to R1 so maybe that's why it's R1 for me, might be a different key for you.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
NG+ spoiler/gripe

The Starborn ship is the most boring ship there is. Really sucks you can't bring your other ships with you.

SteadyEvo

After brute forcing my way through a pretty shitty mission I believe I’m on the final leg of the journey. Only issue??? My ship doesn’t have the grav drive to make it to the planet. So I jump to one closer… but I still don’t have the grav drive despite literally being right beside. So I go and upgrade my grav drive at new Atlantis as well as put some points into the the grav jump perk.

And I still can’t get there. Wtf???

Topher

Gold Member
After brute forcing my way through a pretty shitty mission I believe I’m on the final leg of the journey. Only issue??? My ship doesn’t have the grav drive to make it to the planet. So I jump to one closer… but I still don’t have the grav drive despite literally being right beside. So I go and upgrade my grav drive at new Atlantis as well as put some points into the the grav jump perk.

And I still can’t get there. Wtf???

Are boosting your grad drive points all the way while in the ship? May have to step down some things to max it out.

coffinbirth

I wish I had the same feeling. Only played an hour or so.
An hour? 'cmon now...I gave Redfall longer than that.
If you like BGS loop, this game has it in spades.
I've played the game for 60+ hours now and I feel like i'm running out of content and almost seen everything the game has to offer tbh

Other than base building there seems to be very little to actually do after finishing the main story and faction missions
You have to explore. The are hidden outposts with side missions everywhere.
That being said, if you're not into building and harvesting resources and all that, seeking those things out might feel fruitless in between. Wouldn't know, as I'm playing through it methodically and haven't brushed up against boredom yet.

adamsapple

Started the Crimson Fleet.

Their HQ keeps reminding me of a more worn-down Omega (Mass Effect 2). My mind has been subconsciously making similar correlations everywhere lol.

New Atlantis = Citadel
Akila = Tuchanka
The Key = Omega

starfield-2023_09_18-6ri4o.png

starfield-2023_09_18-dad6z.png

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

damn wtf lol

Ah man....That's incredible. That's on my list for second play through.

I might do the meat of my playthrough to 100% most and use other playthroughs to just try different builds and see how it changes things.

This worries me more then anything, granted I only played about an hour or so before going right back to Baldur's Gate 3 lol , but to hear that it lacks even the old school Bethesda quest feel is very, very worrisome. I understand its not like other games, but shit, it should still be like a Bethesda game. I don't want to just stop playing when I realize those concepts are not supported and just go back to my playthrough on Oblivion.

I'll still give it a go.

Started the Crimson Fleet.

Their HQ keeps reminding me of a more worn-down Omega (Mass Effect 2). My mind has been subconsciously making similar correlations everywhere lol.

New Atlantis = Citadel
Akila = Tuchanka
The Key = Omega

starfield-2023_09_18-6ri4o.png

starfield-2023_09_18-dad6z.png

Are the factions like guilds in Oblivion, Skyrim etc?

I'm happy you loving it Adam, I can't wait to finish BG3 to hop back into it.

Maddux4164

Banned
Was planning on doing more main quest stuff.

But I’m knee deep in “misc” missions

Spent a couple hours on this one. No real spoilers. Just a colony ship from earth (no grav drive) needs help and blah blah. It’s a FASCINATING story mind you

Just don’t want to spoil it.

Finished it. Now a member of that ship has me on Titan, moon of Saturn. 🪐

Very cool stuff

I’m level 21 and have 20 hours into the game thus far. Feel like I’ve basically just started playing

Also, docking used to feel clunky to me. Now it’s just zip and I’m in. Feels good

adamsapple

I do like the dancers in Mass Effect more......for some reason.....can't put my finger on it.

AEADF4B5323423D5F01E5C38420CD9D1FDC4C8D2
vs
7zmdmg.gif

You mean you don't enjoy middle aged dads in your night clubs ? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Are the factions like guilds in Oblivion, Skyrim etc?

I'm happy you loving it Adam, I can't wait to finish BG3 to hop back into it.

Yep, that's exactly what they are. They're this games equivalent of Companions, Thieves Guild etc.

Last edited:

Fess

NG+ spoiler/gripe

The Starborn ship is the most boring ship there is. Really sucks you can't bring your other ships with you.
Plus
You can’t wear casual wear, only way to see your face you might’ve spent some time getting right is to use a regular (and at that point crappy) space suit with a clear helmet.

I liked how they changed the intro story though. It’s almost like a ”alternative start” mod. And the characters have new conversations. It’s definitely made to be played after the main story ends.

In the end I started over instead of doing NG+. It’s more interesting, imo. I’m pretty far into base building on my second run now, only done the first Lodge visit but haven’t triggered the first main quest yet so no companions. I’m having fun!

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Ship thrusters are pretty good. Its basically zero G 360 aiming like in Battlestar Galactica. If a ship is constantly flying out of view, hold thruster and use right stick to aim and you turn a lot faster, but your ship is mostly sitting still so its kind of a optional situational move.

Mephisto40

You have to explore. The are hidden outposts with side missions everywhere.
That being said, if you're not into building and harvesting resources and all that, seeking those things out might feel fruitless in between. Wouldn't know, as I'm playing through it methodically and haven't brushed up against boredom yet.
I don't really count procedural generated fetch quests or "kill this generic enemy at this outpost" content tbh, it's just not interesting any more after the first 10 times you do it

And the outposts on planets all seem to be the same 5 locations copy and pasted over and over again, even to the point that the enemies are in exactly the same places at each one

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
I don't really count procedural generated fetch quests or "kill this generic enemy at this outpost" content tbh, it's just not interesting any more after the first 10 times you do it

And the outposts on planets all seem to be the same 5 locations copy and pasted over and over again, even to the point that the enemies are in exactly the same places at each one
You’re missing out

I’ve had so many amazing side quests. Those quests had side quests that would’ve only been found by doing the OG side quest

Many amazing stories. People I’ve met. Gear/ships I’ve acquired (for free).

Seen many lush and beautiful planets.

Also the main quest is rather interesting. I’m deep into it… so can’t really say what’s going on. It’s definitely interesting though.

What else were you hoping for?

Have you played NMS? Giant planets no question.

But what do you FIND? Another mineral to mine. Another creature walking around. No story. No characters. Nothing that hooks you in. No progression system. It’s a fun game…. For a while. But there’s nothing of note on its planets. Rocks and alien life.

Mephisto40

You’re missing out

I’ve had so many amazing side quests. Those quests had side quests that would’ve only been found by doing the OG side quest

Many amazing stories. People I’ve met. Gear/ships I’ve acquired (for free).

Seen many lush and beautiful planets.

Also the main quest is rather interesting. I’m deep into it… so can’t really say what’s going on. It’s definitely interesting though.

What else were you hoping for?

Have you played NMS? Giant planets no question.

But what do you FIND? Another mineral to mine. Another creature walking around. No story. No characters. Nothing that hooks you in. No progression system. It’s a fun game…. For a while. But there’s nothing of note on its planets. Rocks and alien life.
I'm not trying to be funny here, but your reply sounds like a marketing blurb, written by somebody who isn't very good at marketing

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
I'm not trying to be funny here, but your reply sounds like a marketing blurb
It’s my experience. Not sure what to say. I’ve not even paid for this game. Just a GamePass play. No need for me to white knight for it.

Just tonight I’ve flown to a star system. Hailed a colony ship. Found out they are a generational ship from earth 200 years ago. Docked with it. Could’ve just pass it up. Didn’t.

People were born. Lived full lives. Died. On it.

It’s absolutely massive. You can see how they grow plants. The classrooms. Sleeping areas. Etc etc

They gave me a huge quest to do (wont spoil)

Then someone on that ship had his own side quest. Sent me to freezing cold Titan. Moon of Saturn. Met a guy who sold tours of their settlement for $100. Also reunited a family

THEN… became a deputy police ranger on another planet. Got a huge quest that’s led to one thing and other (no spoilers). Met many people. Built relationships. Seen so much cool stuff.

NONE OF THIS was “main missions”. Squarely side content

Last edited:

Roberts

I'm not trying to be funny here, but your reply sounds like a marketing blurb
That may be, but many of us here have a very strong connection to this game so it is not hard to gush about in hyperboles.

I don't mind people not liking the game. It is totally fine, but I also have noticed that a lot of criticisms often seem shortsighted. The thing with most games is that the game itself tells you pretty much how to play it, even open world games. Starfield for the most part doesn't because there are tons of ways to play it. Yes, there are fetch quests and yes, a lot of planets don't really have anything much to do on them. You know what? You don't have to do all that, because there is so much more. And if nothing interests you (like the awesome faction quests, outpost or ship building, exploring and charting the galaxy, space battles or just random fps mayhem) then I guess the game is not for you. It's OK.

Top Bottom