• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

BigLee74

Yeah, opening a fridge to two potatoes and a carrot! It’s like being at home when my boy is back from Uni 😂😂
hfdXv22.jpg

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
I spoke to her. Refused to help and stole all her shit. And that would be cool if star ships manufactures would not be presented as Toyotas and Fords of our time. "Oh no, we can't finish our next design... we should aim for camper type of ship for families" or "Our ships are so good, people can't wait for next year's model".

Lore for it to be believable must be consistent. This ain't it.

Their rationale is laughable and I talked to 95% of people on Titan.
Only folks I’ve SEEN with star ships belong to factions or major corporations

No where has star ships been promoted as a Toyota

Takes a giant crew. Money. Experience etc

The average folks on the settled systems don’t have one and can’t get one

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Bingo. The average person doesn’t have a ship to fly around the cosmos in.

Again, not consistent. One of the design options for new ship at Stroud Eklund was a family camper. You see countless small ships with normal, every day people in them above major planets. Grandmas even.

Yes, there would be some broke people that wouldn't be able to afford a ship. Just like we have people now that can't afford a car. But you know what we have for these people in our time? Public transport. And the same would happen in the future. Especially in a future where travel is instantaneous.

The real problem is that these people would not be living in places like Europa, simply because these settlements would not exist like they do in Starfield.

But anyway, just enjoy the game, it doesn't have to be smart to be enjoyable!

My impression of the game world is technology is advanced, but various planets are not developed yet, most of them are low population, still being researched.

It doesn't have a thriving galactic economy yet, that will make things possible for everyone.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

This is not true but okay. Enjoy the game. It's stupid but it's fun. What more can you ask for?

Maddux4164

Banned
Again, not consistent. One of the design options for new ship at Stroud Eklund was a family camper. You see countless small ships with normal, every day people in them above major planets. Grandmas even.

Yes, there would be some broke people that wouldn't be able to afford a ship. Just like we have people now that can't afford a car. But you know what we have for these people in our time? Public transport. And the same would happen in the future. Especially in a future where travel is instantaneous.

The real problem is that these people would not be living in places like Europa, simply because these settlements would not exist like they do in Starfield.

But anyway, just enjoy the game, it doesn't have to be smart to be enjoyable!
You wouldn’t even help the lady living in a bathroom with her 10 year old

😒

They can just be grav-drived there for their shift, no problemo.
Not sure if the grav drive is actually instantaneous, I've met npcs in space that mentioned they were still a few days away from their destination; it doesn't seem like the grav drive is much different from the warp or hyperspace drives or even the jump points in GOTG.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Not sure if the grav drive is actually instantaneous, I've met npcs in space that mentioned they were still a few days away from their destination; it doesn't seem like the grav drive is much different from the warp or hyperspace drives or even the jump points in GOTG.

There are also slates where it states that grav jumping takes 'mere moments' and gameplay supports this (just accept any time sensitive mission to find out for yourself). It's stupid, it's not consistent, it's not worth thinking about.

Jemm

There are also slates where it states that grav jumping takes 'mere moments' and gameplay supports this (just accept any time sensitive mission to find out for yourself). It's stupid, it's not consistent, it's not worth thinking about.
I read scifi a lot and I see what you are aiming at. For example, Revelation Space -books by Alastair Reynold are of future history -genre. They are somewhat realistic in the sense that there are no FTL-drives and other physical laws are taken into account.

In them travel from a system to another could take 50 years or so. In the meantime, the target system (such as "Yellowstone"-planet) could go from a thriving society to a collapsed hellhole. Could be interesting premises for games or movies/tv-series...

Ammogeddon

Has anyone got a solution to ECS Constant disappearing?

The activities tracker worked fine for it once but now it’s saying it’s back at Porrima when it isn’t.

Really annoying as I have 2 quests to hand in.

lefty1117

Gold Member
It's probably not for everyone, but I enjoy it also. Something is nice about cruising these different biomes, seeing what generates and walking around them, peacefully scanning plants and animals. I can't really describe in too much detail and I wouldn't play a game JUST about that, but it's a nice break of pace and almost a relaxing sort of activity. See the sights, get some XP, that sort of thing. Outposts are a totally different thing and I actively enjoy making the little resource farms, though to what end I'm not sure (build bigger and better outposts, maybe?), but it's also a fun break of pace but in a different direction than surveying the planets.

So far the only end I've seen with the outposts is to provide mats for the big cargo delivery missions that you can get from boards and some of the shipyards (I've seen them from people at Deimos and Taiyo). You can set up manufacturing of finished products but not clear to me why I would want to do that, because the vendors are so limited in how much money they have it doesn't seem warranted. I think if they set up some sort of passive trade network that you can connect into, with some price dynamism, then you'd have a fun little economic mini-game to play. Hopefully a DLC adds this, this is the sort of thing you'd want as a core gameplay loop from the developers rather than something modded in.

bbeach123

There are a lot of interesting idea and concept in this game but half of the execution, choice and solution , dialogue was a god damn disappointment .

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finished it. The end came pretty suddenly to me. I thought I had barely scratched the surface when I realized I was already reaching end of the game! And its not like I rushed through the main story. I kept doing side-quests too (some very long!). I thought the game would be far longer. Took me about 40 hours total, ended with level ~31.
Loved it, but by God bethesda got to do something about the loading screens. Every minute there is a loading screen as you enter and exit ANY thing.

SteadyEvo

Are boosting your grad drive points all the way while in the ship? May have to step down some things to max it out.
I’ll have to check that next time. Strange that this issue only cropped up after over 40 hours. And the rank on the planet is 75 🤔 and I’m currently 30. I’ll run through the crimson fleet story and come back to it.

oji-san

Banned
Has anyone got a solution to ECS Constant disappearing?

The activities tracker worked fine for it once but now it’s saying it’s back at Porrima when it isn’t.

Really annoying as I have 2 quests to hand in.
Have the same issue, there's an activity to find the ship after doing the quest and helping the ship.. the first time i found the ship and got 2 or 3 quests, now i need to get back to finish the quests but can't find the ship anywhere.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I still haven’t done the same mission I have been on for like 5 days now. I’m just so easily distracted. I’m having a blast going to stronger planets and leveling up fighting against stronger enemies. Their loot drops have been incredible. This one planet, these level 70 pirates dropped epic rifles, shotguns and pistols. All “advanced” and super strong.

Easily my game of the year.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I still haven’t done the same mission I have been on for like 5 days now. I’m just so easily distracted. I’m having a blast going to stronger planets and leveling up fighting against stronger enemies. Their loot drops have been incredible. This one planet, these level 70 pirates dropped epic rifles, shotguns and pistols. All “advanced” and super strong.

Easily my game of the year.
That's not a bad idea.

Topher

Gold Member
I’ll have to check that next time. Strange that this issue only cropped up after over 40 hours. And the rank on the planet is 75 🤔 and I’m currently 30. I’ll run through the crimson fleet story and come back to it.

That may not work. Just the only thing I could think of.

WoodyStare

Completed the Crimson Fleet, Vanguard, and Freestar quests.

Since then, I’ve spent the last several hours of this game creating outposts, doing tons of crafting at the industrial workbench that’s gotten me to level 60 from all of the XP, and visited multiple temples with only four of them left. It’s amazing how much time you can pour into all of this, and I’m not even close to being bored.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh man, the Crimson Fleet's first big planet-side mission was excellent. If it keeps up the pace, it'll become the best faction by far.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What do the thrusters do while in space? I’m wrecking shit up in space and accidentally hit the RB button on my controller and saw it was for my thrusters. Not sure what it did.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
What do the thrusters do while in space? I’m wrecking shit up in space and accidentally hit the RB button on my controller and saw it was for my thrusters. Not sure what it did.
Hold RB and you can basically do a zero-G 360 degree aim. If you ever watched Battlestar Gallactica, it's similar to when they'd turn off their jets and just flip the ship 180 since there's no atmosphere resistance. It's not as fast as that, but it's the fastest way to pivot. If you are getting circled and want to stop and try to quickly turn to aim, it can be useful in some situations, then you have to let go and crank the jet to move after that if you want. Or you can move with the left stick for strafing but it seems too slow to be that useful.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

Becomes newtonian physics basically. You will drift in the direction you were headed but you could tilt any which way and if you don't put thrusters against it, you could travel indefinitely in the original direction. Can be pretty cool to fly around asteroids.

Fights in space are now too fast for me though, i don't encounter any challenges since i switched all weapons to Vanguard obliterator auto-projector. On hard difficulty.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Thanks for the tips on thrusters. Maybe because I’ve made sure to have my ships mobility always at 85+, I haven’t had to worry about ships getting behind me, as I can turn on a dime without the thrusters. But it’s cool to know o have some wiggle room to make my ship better.

My next goal is to get Ship Special Designs to 4. I’m currently at 3, so I need to now buy 30 special items. I guess I’ll need to modify a few of the ships I “commandeered” to just have special stuff.

I NEED my ship to be the absolute best.

I NEED my ship to be the absolute best.
Space ship design isn't enough, unless you want to stay with A cert ships, better parts unlock as you level up your character in general, the best C cert space ship design level 4 parts won't unlock until you are really high level.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Space ship design isn't enough, unless you want to stay with A cert ships, better parts unlock as you level up your character in general, the best C cert space ship design level 4 parts won't unlock until you are really high level.
I’m at level 62, and my C class ship is already melting level 45 ships. I tone down my weapons strength to just 1 grav point, so I can have a chance to enter “tracking mode”. On my work lunch, I’ll post a picture of my ship and specs.

BigLee74

Man, I wish you could assign companions to ships other than your home ship. I’d be more inclined to chop and change and head out with a new crew every now and again. I have so many folk I’ve hired and just left sitting wherever I met them!

Edit: Now my favourite game of the XSX generation. I think they were actually really close to obtaining all the highest accolades and plaudits - just a lack of polish and a creaky engine preventing them I think! Maybe after a year of patches and a few mods…

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Man, I wish you could assign companions to ships other than your home ship. I’d be more inclined to chop and change and head out with a new crew every now and again. I have so many folk I’ve hired and just left sitting wherever I met them!

Edit: Now my favourite game of the XSX generation. I think they were actually really close to obtaining all the highest accolades and plaudits - just a lack of polish and a creaky engine preventing them I think! Maybe after a year of patches and a few mods…
I agree, but at the same time, I think that’s us just trying to make the game be more than it is. Like I would love to give a ship to some crew members, and let them survey some space. But that not what this game is.

BigLee74

I agree, but at the same time, I think that’s us just trying to make the game be more than it is. Like I would love to give a ship to some crew members, and let them survey some space. But that not what this game is.
Not really. I’m not after a new gameplay mechanic. I just want to say ‘ok, you three ham-fisted good for nothing wanks - get on the rust bucket’ and ‘sexy ladies - line up for the party ship’. They don’t need to go anywhere or do anything, just be on said ship when I make it my home ship.

And I’ll be like a great boss and promote/relegate crew members depending on how they look at me during missions.

Top Bottom