• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

Gt111

Neo Member
I am having a huge issue with planet scanning.

Don't want to do it.

The moment I land on a new planet, instead of following quest marker I just go for planet scanning, faffing away 4-6 hrs session. OCD issue pretty much.

At the end of the day it's not even complete, so next day I do it again.

Need some help with this.
Hey! dumb question..
If it’s ok
So I guess I haven’t done much of planet scanning…

What is that? Or how does it soak up time? I don’t doubt you just wanted to ask…

Might be something I start doing…

I understand the scanner allows you to look up elements the planet is made of?
Just wanted to ask… I just been doing side quests mostly lol…
Not that far into the game… I’m at level 10…

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
How many planets have you fully surveyed? It’s in stats. I have like 160+ but I only seen that tower twice and only once with survey data at the top…
I’ll have to check. It’s not as high as yours though.

So the tower isn’t even guaranteed to have the data? That sucks for those trying to speed their way through it. I don’t mind doing it the normal way.

Don’t do it?

Just play how you feel like playing and don’t worry about FOMO

w9iPsqr.gif

Hey! dumb question..
If it’s ok
So I guess I haven’t done much of planet scanning…

What is that? Or how does it soak up time? I don’t doubt you just wanted to ask…

Might be something I start doing…

I understand the scanner allows you to look up elements the planet is made of?
Just wanted to ask… I just been doing side quests mostly lol…
Not that far into the game… I’m at level 10…

When you press LB, a scanner will come up. A menu on side will tell you how many animals/ plants/ resources are on the planet. If you scan all of them, you get a scan report that you can sell for decent amount of credits.

It's a chill activity, mostly designed for you to explore wildlife on planets and observe the ecosystem. I kinda enjoy doing it.

Roberts

Man, I was kind of hoping to move on to other things. Played Solar Ash a little bit and that seems like a pretty cool indie and Lies of P could definitely grow on me, but, man, I just wanted more Starfield. So, despite my promise I moved back to exploring stars. I travelled around new systems and found an awesome and weirdly creepy quest - no spoilers but it's about clones. Felt like something Obsidian or inXile could come up with. Anyway, what are your favourite quests other than faction stuff?

Last edited:

Danknugz

Don’t do it? I’m 50-something hours in, completed 2 of the faction quest lines and probably 50% through the main story quest, I haven’t built an outpost at all and have barely scanned anything. Just play how you feel like playing and don’t worry about FOMO
i literally placed one object and didn't get the outpost achievement then i moved on and never touched it again. never scanned any rocks except for the artifacts and the tutorial.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Man, I was kind of hoping to move to other things. Played Solar Ash a little bit and that feels like a pretty cool indie and Lies of P could definitely grown on me, but, man, I just wanted more Starfield. So, despite my promise I moved back to exploring stars. I travelled around new systems and found an awesome and weirdly creepy quest - no spoilers but it's about clones. Felt like something Obsidian or inXile could come up with. Anyway, what are your favourite quests other than faction stuff?
The way I see it, I havent been this sucked into a Bethesda world since Morrowind 20 years ago. Going to just enjoy it for as long as I want. There are pretty limited opportunities to get this engrossed. Could be a very, very long time before there's another.

Antwix

If you're interested in outposts, this is an enteraining video in maximizing profit/xp by creating as much Vytinium fuel rods as possible :

Interesting speculation about what Starfield could have been:
Yep I remember there were questions that Todd was answering regarding fuel. Stuff asking about if you could be floating in space aimlessly if you ran out of fuel and such. I wonder if they will add a survival/hardcore type mode that you NEED to consider fuel and have to create outposts to refuel helium at.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Dont forget to use the "wait here" option with teammates sometimes. Sarah and I are about to get married but I decided to stop by Neon to take out some gang members. Told her to wait outside the place, murdered them all then picked her up after without issue.

Havoc2049

Dont forget to use the "wait here" option with teammates sometimes. Sarah and I are about to get married but I decided to stop by Neon to take out some gang members. Told her to wait outside the place, murdered them all then picked her up after without issue.
I use the "wait here" feature all the time. It kills me that people are complaining that their partner is nagging them all the time with the choices they make in the game, when it just requires a simple command for relationship bliss. 🤣

Sarah and I chillin' at my chateau in the foothills of Nesoi.
F2COpMb.jpeg

zSYy9Jw.png

So a question about NG+. I know you don’t get to keep your gear or your money. What about companions, do you lose them all? What about ships and outposts and housing, lose them all too? What about all you research and scanning, lose them too?

Because I won’t even bother with research and scanning if I don’t keep them. Also won’t bother with ship building or outpost building until I’m in a NG+ I’m planning to stay in.

So a question about NG+. I know you don’t get to keep your gear or your money. What about companions, do you lose them all? What about ships and outposts and housing, lose them all too? What about all you research and scanning, lose them too?

Because I won’t even bother with research and scanning if I don’t keep them. Also won’t bother with ship building or outpost building until I’m in a NG+ I’m planning to stay in.
Everything goes except your level/perks/powers.

Welp, question about NG+..

Where can I find characters like Sam Coe and Barret? I started over, went to the Lodge but don't remember seeing them there - talked to Sarah and "skipped" the main quest - does that mean I won't encounter these guys?

Rockondevil

Just starting my first NG+. Loved my first playthrough and it just felt like the natural progression.

Can't wait to delve into it again and go through anything I missed.

I might do some actual base building as I barely touched it the first playthrough.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“Who let you onboard?”

Response (facetious): “I heard this was the party ship, and I’m here to party.”

Andreja Disliked That.

Andreja: “I have no interest in partying.”

Dear lord. Literally the lamest, most wet blanket RPG companions in history.

Antwix

Andreja is sooo dull. I wanted to get to her companion story but I dropped her for now. Started rolling with Jezzamine the crimson fleet girl.

twilo99

Gold Member
“Who let you onboard?”

Andreja Disliked That.

Yea, they’ve gone way too much on the safe side… PG13 compared to BG3.

I blame the overall political environment but I wasn’t expecting it to be that bad.

Fess

Yea, they’ve gone way too much on the safe side… PG13 compared to BG3.

I blame the overall political environment but I wasn’t expecting it to be that bad.
Yeah I don’t understand the rating. Is it rated 18 because they allow mods and they know modders will eventually make NPCs walk around naked with huge bouncing boobs?

There is nothing in the game right now that demand a high age rating, they could remove the blood and leave the shot enemies with a slow breathing animation and a *fainted* icon and lower the rating to 3.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
“Who let you onboard?”

Andreja Disliked That.

I had her with me during the Freestar Collective questline & she was great, backing me up during dialog choices and giving hell to others who tried bullying me 😁

Havoc2049

It's all about the user created role playing when it comes to sex in Starfield. Keep the D20 handy to see how lucky you get and what type of sex you have when the lights go out. 😜 But ya, it's pretty lame, just like in Skyrim. Some of the one liners when you wake up are kinda funny. My fav is when Sarah said to me, "You know, we should really trying sleeping when we are in bed together".

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Level 75.

I had hoped there was a weapon tier higher than Advanced. I’ve been using them on level 80+ enemies and they still take a bit of ammo to take down.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Level 75.

I had hoped there was a weapon tier higher than Advanced. I’ve been using them on level 80+ enemies and they still take a bit of ammo to take down.

Are you a sniper build? If yes, there’s a very powerful rifle to buy in Neon that I never seen anywhere else. Not in a loot drop, not in any container etc…

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Just take Vasco or Adoring Fan. Or a Crew Member. Constellation members are clowns. Just utterly terrible. Not to mention any pretty female NPCs are not companions or are just limited to your character. Only Constellation member I consider taking with me is Cowboy Adam Jensen.

Kamina

Golden Boy
“Who let you onboard?”

Andreja Disliked That.

Should have taken Sarah

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wish you could pilot Grandma's ship lol. It's such a wholesome ship with circular rugs and such, that you don't see in other ships.

I completed the Crimson Fleet quest again. This time sided with SysDef. While I disliked how cartoony the pirates were, it still made me feel bad to have to kill them all. At least they had personalities.

Freeman76

NG+ sounds like it almost ruins the whole idea of Bethesda games to me. Maybe I'm wrong about that as I havent got there yet but from what I read in this thread i'm not too hyped about it.

Im 80 hours deep and finished all the faction quests and 10 story missions. Incredible game I'm really enjoying but it hasnt opened up the way I hoped it would. After such a long dev time I thought they might have some really cool ideas for bases etc, but there hardly seems any point to them at all.

Seems hard to fathom why it took them so long to make this game. I mean sure its huge in scope, but in terms of game mechanics it doesnt have a lot of depth.

First week playing it was a 9.5 for me easily, but at this point I'd give it an 8, simply due to the fact it doesnt offer up much that feels much different from their previous games.

I hope they flesh it out more with DLC and make some meaningful additions over time.

Roberts

I completed the Crimson Fleet quest again. This time sided with SysDef. While I disliked how cartoony the pirates were, it still made me feel bad to have to kill them all. At least they had personalities.
Man, walking through that space station and just cold-heartedly blasting away people you recently had a more or less normal, casual conversation with simply felt cold. I don't think I ever felt that way playing a videogame.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Did you save
Shinya
?

I got a boring NG+ variation but I enjoy starting over. I just wish I could add traits.

Man, walking through that space station and just cold-heartedly blasting away people you recently had a more or less normal, casual conversation with simply felt cold. I don't think I ever felt that way playing a videogame.

Reminded me of the Syndicate FPS.

Top Bottom