• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

dem

jesus christ, this might possibly be the most boring game intro of all time. The first 2 hours or so are atrocious.

It is certainly an uninspiring intro to the game.

"Hey new guy... go mine this one rock over here!"

"Oh look.. the first rock you mined is a strange piece of metal!"

"Wow... look at that piece of metal...! You need to take my ship and start a new life as an explorer!"

Tom Cruise What GIF

Then you finally land on New Atlantis and it looks like some Second Life shit.
Holy fuck that place is ugly. Are you fucking kidding me with this? I wanted to uninstall the game after I saw this piece of crap place.

This shit looks like it was designed at the DeVry School of 3D Art

F48HCkDXkAAMZr0

How do you invest so much money into a game... and that is what you lead with?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It is certainly an uninspiring intro to the game.

"Hey new guy... go mine this one rock over here!"

"Oh look.. the first rock you mined is a strange piece of metal!"

"Wow... look at that piece of metal...! You need to take my ship and start a new life as an explorer!"

Tom Cruise What GIF

Holy fuck that place is ugly.

Ugly but functional.

I think the only things that can excuse something being really ugly is that. So I don't know if they need more features, some underground sub-way DLC lol I don't know, but they can't be this ugly and be limited in what you can do. They need to pick a struggle lol

yamaci17

Titan... was an experience. An amazing one. So many enviromental story telling that it makes you feel that it is all real. In a very distant future. It is so well crafted.

One of the first colonies, well designed small but vertically rich areas. A huge methane processing plant so that they can their oxygene + fuel from processing it. Ice cavern mining, to get fresh water. Wind turbines, to harness the windy surface of Titan. The NPCs and their attitudes, how they talk about being one of the less wealthy colonies but having so many fond memories and items from Earth.

And then there's quests that gets you to be familiar AND interact with all of these. You can mine those ice caverns and get water for yourself, you can fix some wind turbines.

Its just crazy. I'm in love with this game. Enough said...

dOqjLV3.jpg

N1shUNR.jpg

VysKfpl.jpg

CNUwHYP.jpg

0ogEYBS.jpg

Last edited:
So I was really torn on starting a New Game Plus... I wanted to stick to building my awesome beach house and continue on with my factories that are done - but honestly once I started the NG+ it just felt pretty fresh to me so I kept going with it. I loved having no weapons/options and just taking on a random outpost and picking up/using whatever I had, much better feeling than running in with my powerful weapon I've been using forever! I'll have to rebuild the beach house I guess.

Maddux4164

Banned
Anyone done the “Riujin” quest line in Neon?

Phew 😮‍💨 it’s amazing

Also I’ve got an EXTREMELY amazing… piece of tech for it all

What a fantastic side gig. Faction? Not even sure what they are

All I know is it took many hours to complete. Maybe 5-7? Not sure. That’s STEADY doing it

Maddux4164

Banned
Titan... was an experience. An amazing one. So many enviromental story telling that it makes you feel that it is all real. In a very distant future. It is so well crafted.

One of the first colonies, well designed small but vertically rich areas. A huge methane processing plant so that they can their oxygene + fuel from processing it. Ice cavern mining, to get fresh water. Wind turbines, to harness the windy surface of Titan. The NPCs and their attitudes, how they talk about being one of the less wealthy colonies but having so many fond memories and items from Earth.

And then there's quests that gets you to be familiar AND interact with all of these. You can mine those ice caverns and get water for yourself, you can fix some wind turbines.

Its just crazy. I'm in love with this game. Enough said...

dOqjLV3.jpg

N1shUNR.jpg

VysKfpl.jpg

CNUwHYP.jpg

0ogEYBS.jpg
Must ask… you see the family of 3 eating at Chunky’s and the little girl is all “why we gotta goto a place so cold on vacation?”

lol

Also you took the tour from the salesman guy wanting to show you around?

SJRB

Gold Member

Phew 😮‍💨 it’s amazing

All I know is it took many hours to complete. Maybe 5-7? Not sure. That’s STEADY doing it

Stopped doing them after the mission where she sent me to Akila just to fetch a key card. These missions are a waste, zero respect for the player's time. The idea of megacorpo shenanigans is cool but the execution is ultra flawed.

Holy fuck that place is ugly. Are you fucking kidding me with this? I wanted to uninstall the game after I saw this piece of crap place.

This shit looks like it was designed at the DeVry School of 3D Art

F48HCkDXkAAMZr0

This is what you see when you walk to the edge (any edge) of the city, lmao:

Wdwu9ge.jpg

Maddux4164

Banned
Stopped doing them after the mission where she sent me to Akila just to fetch a key card. These missions are a waste, zero respect for the player's time. The idea of megacorpo shenanigans is cool but the execution is ultra flawed.

This is what you see when you walk to the edge (any edge) of the city, lmao:

Wdwu9ge.jpg
Curious what issue you had? Genuinely

There was a couple missions that wasn’t exactly amazing

But overall the storyline was great

Jemm

Btw, has anyone bumped into a tile edge by accident when playing normally?
I have explored quite a bit, but never met a limit of an area.

I am scanning planets furiously. So I don't stop walking unless I run into that.

Dunno, seems like normal way to play the game to me. But it does happen after I have walked far too long. Areas do give a feeling of exploring a planet.

yamaci17

Must ask… you see the family of 3 eating at Chunky’s and the little girl is all “why we gotta goto a place so cold on vacation?”

lol

Also you took the tour from the salesman guy wanting to show you around?
yep. I also liked how the game presented me a way to give him additional tip (500 credits). I didn't even hesitate. guy was loving his job and did a great job

Forth

Neophyte
This if definitely my goty on my Series X, I just absolutely love playing it.
but the UI mods are making me jealous and the limited POIs on planet exploration needs addressing but I feel Bethesda will look to modders to fix that so please allow the console mod limit be allowed for when this happens.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
1 time yesterday while punching bugs that nonstop sprint across the map. Got all 75. Thats it though in 130 hrs

Last edited:
I'm on New Game + and finally made my way to Akila.. dealt with the bank situation and talked to the girl in the Rock - she of course told me I needed to take a mission from the mission board and the quest icon is on the board, but when I open the board there are zero quests. Anyone else run into this problem?

Brute

jesus christ, this might possibly be the most boring game intro of all time. The first 2 hours or so are atrocious.
Rest of the game doesn't get much better either, IMO of course.

It's just dull, repetitive, Bethesda fare. If you're a raging Bethesda fan then you'll enjoy it but for me, it's a game stuck in the mid 2000s.

Fools idol

Banned
Rest of the game doesn't get much better either, IMO of course.

It's just dull, repetitive, Bethesda fare. If you're a raging Bethesda fan then you'll enjoy it but for me, it's a game stuck in the mid 2000s.
yeh I gave up already. Not my cup of tea. I enjoyed this stuff during the elder scrolls / Fallout 3 days but in 2023 I expectd a lot more. It's dull as hell. Also I just got finished wrapping up baldurs gate 3, so going from the animations and facial capture in that game to this felt like I was watching cardboard cutouts with mouth holes. Wild.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member

Phew 😮‍💨 it’s amazing

I’m tempted to do that next… 7hrs eh

Fools idol

Banned
I still think this is the worst main story Bethesda has ever written, the side content is actually better than the main story by a mile

I mean the side quests in all their games has been better than the main. I couldnt even tell you wtf happened on Skyrim, despite putting about 300 hours in over the years. I did finish the game but spent 90% of that time just fucking around and exploring

Gt111

Neo Member
Yeah I think it takes a bit…
For me I’m still early game.. doing ryujin quests right now..
For me personally I’m trying to develop a bit more patience..
I’m not a avid gamer…
So my opinion is prob not mainstream as others here…
But def taking my time with Starfield..
That and it’s kinda the only thing I have to play at the moment… lol

Btw this is off topic but I do like the quest and objectives how it’s done in the game menu…
Elden ring which I played a bit of..
It’s different.. the game doesn’t really give you that…direction if I can say
It’s different game so coming from that I like the guidance Starfield gives you

Yeah I think it takes a bit…
For me I’m still early game.. doing ryujin quests right now..
For me personally I’m trying to develop a bit more patience..
I’m not a avid gamer…
So my opinion is prob not mainstream as others here…
But def taking my time with Starfield..
That and it’s kinda the only thing I have to play at the moment… lol

Btw this is off topic but I do like the quest and objectives how it’s done in the game menu…
Elden ring which I played a bit of..
It’s different.. the game doesn’t really give you that…direction if I can say
It’s different game so coming from that I like the guidance Starfield gives you
If you like this, you might like other Bethesda games if you haven't played them.

Danknugz

Phew 😮‍💨 it’s amazing

irl i've got a ROG Ryujin II AOI argb and it's quite the piece of tech, CPU temps idle around 35c

I am having a huge issue with planet scanning.

Don't want to do it.

The moment I land on a new planet, instead of following quest marker I just go for planet scanning, faffing away 4-6 hrs session. OCD issue pretty much.

At the end of the day it's not even complete, so next day I do it again.

Need some help with this.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Don't want to do it.

The moment I land on a new planet, instead of following quest marker I just go for planet scanning, faffing away 4-6 hrs session. OCD issue pretty much.

You could always level up zoology and geology and your hand and ship scanners and it makes it go faster.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I came across a different level 98 enemy on the same planet, but different biome. Same as the last, jet packing from cover to cover and trying to flank me. They’re more aggressive than the other enemies that stay in cover and shoot.

I mean the side quests in all their games has been better than the main. I couldnt even tell you wtf happened on Skyrim, despite putting about 300 hours in over the years. I did finish the game but spent 90% of that time just fucking around and exploring
Agreed. The main quests in Bethesda games usually felt like 'let me just do this to acquire the abilities/items that they want me to get, so I can have more fun with the side quests'.

Chukhopops

Don't want to do it.

I have the same issue so I leveled all required science skills. They quickly pay for themselves if you’re really into surveying.

Are there more quests/activities featuring the Intruders? I’ve seen one abandoned station and one laboratory with those and they are interesting, do they appear in other quests?

You can find one in the Schrödinger system in the abandoned station if you’re curious.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Don't want to do it.

Don’t do it? I’m 50-something hours in, completed 2 of the faction quest lines and probably 50% through the main story quest, I haven’t built an outpost at all and have barely scanned anything. Just play how you feel like playing and don’t worry about FOMO

Top Bottom