• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFIELD |OT| 2023: A Space Toddity

SnapShot

F6so5lzag-AAcb-NX.jpg

Last edited:

BigLee74

I think i’ve hit my breaking point about five or so hours in.

I don’t think it’s a bad game but it’s incredibly dated in almost every way. There isn’t really much that is keeping my gripped onto continue with the game.

Shame but it is what it is.
It’s definitely a game you have to play for more than 5 hours before deciding one way or the other!

BigLee74

Starfield, you are fun, but you leave me shaking my head at times.

On Neon, gang quest - Strikers v Disciples. “The Disciples are scum - they torture for fun”

Eh, no. The disciples hang around street corners, work hard in warehouses, then fold like a cheap suit with a tiny bit of persuasion. Harder gangs in my home town 😂😂

That moment when you realize that you didn't pay enough attention to some details and don't know how to switch from the Frontier to the new Star Eagle you got with the ranger badge. Spent like 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get myself and crew on there. Then I thought I was locked out of it, but it turned out that was the transport ship that shipped it to me. Too funny.

Now I have to decide what I want to tackle next. I might see about the list quests as I need to get into a few more space fights to complete the last challenge associated with my piloting badge.

The way I see it, I havent been this sucked into a Bethesda world since Morrowind 20 years ago. Going to just enjoy it for as long as I want. There are pretty limited opportunities to get this engrossed. Could be a very, very long time before there's another.

Yeah it really draws you in. I can't believe I've put 52hrs into it and I've only completed the one faction quest line and the early part of the campaign. I get distracted doing the little side missions and activities.

Last edited:
w9iPsqr.gif

When you press LB, a scanner will come up. A menu on side will tell you how many animals/ plants/ resources are on the planet. If you scan all of them, you get a scan report that you can sell for decent amount of credits.

It's a chill activity, mostly designed for you to explore wildlife on planets and observe the ecosystem. I kinda enjoy doing it.

Don't you wish there was a lot more to scan? In NMS, everything is scannable. Feel like the moment to moment planet exploration shouldve been so much more involved in Starfield.

Verchod

Damn, got shafted by the Mantis ship! Didn't realise until I'd done two missions after acquiring the ship.
I noticed it had loads of weapon storage in the upper level, so I put most of my weapons in it as I've acquired a good few I like. Then after several missions I went to to swap some over, only to find they'd all gone. Turns out it's a known bug . Great...

I already asked one time, but I continued to play for hours and haven't figured it out, so giving it a bump.. end game NG+ spoilers:
Where the hell do I find people like Barret, Sam, Andreja in NG+? At the lodge was only Vasco and Sarah.. Vlad is at the eye, but is it because I chose to "skip main quest" that I'll never encounter them anywhere??

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I already asked one time, but I continued to play for hours and haven't figured it out, so giving it a bump.. end game NG+ spoilers:
Where the hell do I find people like Barret, Sam, Andreja in NG+? At the lodge was only Vasco and Sarah.. Vlad is at the eye, but is it because I chose to "skip main quest" that I'll never encounter them anywhere??
Collect the Artifacts that you get quests from on the Eye and after you do they magically appear in the Lodge.

It's supposed to mirror the campaign to where you get new members as you acquire them. It's pretty lame IMO.
Kind of makes sense once you get there since they were off "wrapping up" what you would have been doing I guess if you redid the campaign. But yeah you were right, grabbed those few and there they were.

BigLee74

never understood this arguement

The amount of 10/10 games that came out this year, I'm not wasitng my time on the 4/10s for longer than I need to know it's bad
Ok, it’s all very subjective, granted, but in an open world game that potentially takes 100+ hours to see all it has to offer, you feel confident its 4/10 after 5 hours?

Good for you!

Personally, I’ve spent longer on the toilet.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Got a new ability thats exactly what I wanted for stealth. Just took a whole lot longer to get than I would have expected.

Antwix

Got a new ability thats exactly what I wanted for stealth. Just took a whole lot longer to get than I would have expected.
I originally wanted to go concealment but I kinda gave up on it for now since I found a cool looking helmet with chameleon on it. It's not a full replacement for the skill but it works well enough for me since I snipe first. I got wrapped up in putting skills into the science/tech trees lol

I just noticed you said ability, not skill lol. I assume you mean one of the powers?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I originally wanted to go concealment but I kinda gave up on it for now since I found a cool looking helmet with chameleon on it. It's not a full replacement for the skill but it works well enough for me since I snipe first. I got wrapped up in putting skills into the science/tech trees lol

I just noticed you said ability, not skill lol. I assume you mean one of the powers?
Yep one of the powers
Marks enemies even through walls

Gp1

30 plus years of gaming development experience, multiple GOTYs, thousand of developers, 7 years of active development, creates a new engine, creates and connect every planet in the star system, yet you can't implement a feature present in every other respectable space exploration game, making your space exploration game basically a menu exploration game.

Then... Then the first time Chinese Bethesda modder arrives on the scene with 15 days of experience...

WTF Bethesda

Last edited:

BigLee74

30 plus years of gaming development experience, multiple GOTYs, thousand of developers, 7 years of active development, creates a new engine, creates and connect every planet in the star system, yet you can't implement a feature present in every other respectable space exploration game, making your space exploration game basically a menu exploration game.

Then... Then the first time Chinese Bethesda modder arrives on the scene with 15 days of experience...

WTF Bethesda

And how boring does that look? Would you want to travel anywhere like that? I know I wouldn’t.

If I want to feel a bit more grounded in the game, I’ll walk back to my ship and take off, grav jump etc without going into the menus. But I often find even that too tedious and end up abusing the fast travel.

I would like to think that Bethesda tried all of this, and decided on the chosen mechanics because those are what works best for the game.

Obviously not everyone agrees with their choices, but it’s likely a better game for them.

Chukhopops

WTF Bethesda

I’ve played Everspace 2 which has the opposite system as Starfield where there’s basically no fast travel. You need to go to a stargate to change system and then travel to wherever you want to go.

And it’s literally the worst part of the game because everything takes ages to do and the travelling takes you out of the action constantly. At some point you just stop doing side quests entirely because of the back and forth you need to do.

You can see the way Starfield handles it is a clear choice because there are full in-cockpit animations for takeoff and warp drive (although there’s still a loading transition from planet to space) used in some quests. And I think it’s the right choice considering the nature of the game.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Wow, skill tree in Starfield is garbage compared to what CDPR did in new 2.0 update for Cyberpunk.

🫣

Question to people like me, who like Starfield: have you tried the new Cyberpunk update?

Roufianos

I think i’ve hit my breaking point about five or so hours in.

I don’t think it’s a bad game but it’s incredibly dated in almost every way. There isn’t really much that is keeping my gripped onto continue with the game.

Shame but it is what it is.
It's just as outdated in 2023 as Fallout 4 was in 2015. Bethesda haven't caught up any ground.

I finished the main story yesterday and, while it was enjoyable, I can't help but rue the missed potential. I was thinking it actually felt like playing a remake of a late PS3 game, it feels that archaic in places.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
It’s definitely a game you have to play for more than 5 hours before deciding one way or the other!

"Game gets good after n hours" is the pinnacle of bad game design. How is not totally disrespectful to the player's time to create a game that takes n hours to get "good"? Unacceptable.

And honestly when it comes to Starfield, if you've played for 2 hours you've seen the basics of pretty much everything the game has to offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

BigLee74

"Game gets good after n hours" is the pinnacle of bad game design. How is not totally disrespectful to the player's time to create a game that takes n hours to get "good"? Unacceptable.

And honestly when it comes to Starfield, if you've played for 2 hours you've seen the basics of pretty much everything the game has to offer.

I didn’t say the game gets good after X hours, I just think you can’t form an honest opinion on such a large game after such few hours.

I personally found the game enjoyable from the go, and it continued to get better as more quest lines opened up.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What in the flying fuck was with that terrible stealth in the Ryujin mission? If wasn't remotely serviceable. There were fucking dozens of security guards and even with the fucking security suit on they immediately detect you and try to kill you. They detect you moving on the suspended ceiling and vents. Nothing about that was fun or game-like. It was just fuck you for trying and fuck you again when you turn in the mission and they bitch about you killing people. Oh and yeah after that the fucking NPC at the news network spawned under the lake and I had to use a console command to make him show up at the SSN field office.

The pacing and leveling up is bullshit. I put in 40 hours and am level 26 which doesn't let you get much of any skills. Maybe I didn't do enough of the main mission yet because my ship still gets destroyed by every encounter that has more than one ship attacking me.

twilo99

Gold Member

I thought so too, but if the game offers over ~120-130hrs of content, I guess it’s okay to have kind of a slow start. Think of it as TV show, some of the best shows sometimes need 5-6 episodes to get going..

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
What in the flying fuck was with that terrible stealth in the Ryujin mission? If wasn't remotely serviceable. There were fucking dozens of security guards and even with the fucking security suit on they immediately detect you and try to kill you. They detect you moving on the suspended ceiling and vents. Nothing about that was fun or game-like. It was just fuck you for trying and fuck you again when you turn in the mission and they bitch about you killing people. Oh and yeah after that the fucking NPC at the news network spawned under the lake and I had to use a console command to make him show up at the SSN field office.

The pacing and leveling up is bullshit. I put in 40 hours and am level 26 which doesn't let you get much of any skills. Maybe I didn't do enough of the main mission yet because my ship still gets destroyed by every encounter that has more than one ship attacking me.
Yeah something was really off with the stealth in that last mission, I had maxed out stealth, wearing nothing but the armor they give you with the 25% harder to detect bonus, and a 30% decrease to sound from an aid item, and they were spotting me left and right and had me going into caution behind walls while barely moving.

It was like the stealth bonuses just got canceled out completely for that one mission. I had to resort to cheesing the whole level with manipulation (which is pretty finicky to use properly as well).

Last edited:

Freeman76

Without any spoliers, does this have an 'endgame'? Traditionally with Beth games I leave the main quest alone for weeks as I usually feel a bit aimless once its complete. Starfield has been different, I read the main quest takes 30 hours or so but without realising I am close to the end now and it hasnt felt that long, I'm on like the 14th mission.

McCrank

Huge Bethesda fan and couldn't wait to get lost in Starfield. Just wrapped up most everything and couldn't be more disappointed. I'm not sure where to even start.

Outside of a couple of main quests and a few of the faction quests, everything feels half-baked. None of the systems gel and everything feels siloed. I would say the exploration and economy are the two biggest things that bother me. They both need severe overhauling.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Without any spoliers, does this have an 'endgame'? Traditionally with Beth games I leave the main quest alone for weeks as I usually feel a bit aimless once its complete. Starfield has been different, I read the main quest takes 30 hours or so but without realising I am close to the end now and it hasnt felt that long, I'm on like the 14th mission.

IIRC the 19th mission is the final one, the game will give you ample opportunities to turn back before that.

But, yes, there is an endgame, however it seamlessly loops you into NG+. You'll know the lore reasons when you reach that point.

Roberts

There is only NG+. Once you have done the main story, you start over but in a slightly different way than before and a few things (like your lvl) that carry over. It will all make sense.

I kind of don't agree with the "Starfield gets better after 10 hours" because it doesn't just magically get better all of a sudden. It is the same game from the very beginning BUT it is very important how willing are you to find the way to play the game to satisfy your interests. Pretty much every game more or less guides you to how the developers want you to play it and that is why it usually takes people 30 minutes to figure out if they like the game or not. It took me 10 hours or so to figure out how I want to play Starfield because there are so many way to do it. When I did, it became my favourite game of the year.

Anyway, speaking of my crew. I just got a new pilot and she is:
The clone of Amelia Earhart. Finally the game is 11/10 in my book, despite what Phil said.

Pakoe

never understood this arguement

The amount of 10/10 games that came out this year, I'm not wasitng my time on the 4/10s for longer than I need to know it's bad
It's not even true. I kept going because I really wanted to like the game but it doesn't get better.
If you're bored now, you might as well quit, it doesn't get better.

Gp1

And how boring does that look? Would you want to travel anywhere like that? I know I wouldn’t.

If I want to feel a bit more grounded in the game, I’ll walk back to my ship and take off, grav jump etc without going into the menus. But I often find even that too tedious and end up abusing the fast travel.

I would like to think that Bethesda tried all of this, and decided on the chosen mechanics because those are what works best for the game.

Obviously not everyone agrees with their choices, but it’s likely a better game for them.

It looks boring because, right now, the mod is just a prof of concept showing that the engine can handle seamless travel between planet and the outer space section is just filled with nothing but void.

Imagine if Bethesda could fill the outer space with things happening organically like they did in every other game creation engine game.

Ships traveling, battles, pirates, miners, merchant ships, those well known random encounters, uncharted planets, etc.

Anyone that played Elite Dangerous in it's infancy know how this system could be explored and how it could heavily benefit the sense of discovery in this kind of game.

i still believe that either Bethesda will explore this angle on future expansions or the community will mod this in.

yamaci17

The sky-scapes in this game can be real breathtaking at times.

not my video but y'all get the idea.

yess this :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Qjy8w0B.png
FKdH3U2.png

so many endless potentials... the game is running a full simulation of all of these. so practically endless variations of cool screenshots in random planets/moons. I would never delete this game from my system. always keep it. just land on some planet and stroll around to see some stuff. ...

BigLee74

It looks boring because, right now, the mod is just a prof of concept showing that the engine can handle seamless travel between planet and the outer space section is just filled with nothing but void.

Imagine if Bethesda could fill the outer space with things happening organically like they did in every other game creation engine game.

Ships traveling, battles, pirates, miners, merchant ships, those well known random encounters, uncharted planets, etc.

Anyone that played Elite Dangerous in it's infancy know how this system could be explored and how it could heavily benefit the sense of discovery in this kind of game.

i still believe that either Bethesda will explore this angle on future expansions or the community will mod this in.
Many would have no problem with this if it were an optional traversal mechanism. I certainly wouldn’t want to be forced into lengthy ship runs back and forth between planets and systems.

Id be very surprised if Bethesda haven’t already looked at this and play tested it though.

Gp1

Many would have no problem with this if it were an optional traversal mechanism. I certainly wouldn’t want to be forced into lengthy ship runs back and forth between planets and systems.

Id be very surprised if Bethesda haven’t already looked at this and play tested it though.

Sure i agree with you.
Fast travel should be present as is in any of their games. But in my opinion the problem lies when you simply force fast travel and menu skimming for everything travel related. Specially when the UI isn't top notch and one of the main themes of the game is space exploration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom